Rumor: Vinny Lecavalier bought out... UPD: signed in Philadelphia

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Why are Blum or Sanguinetti (big no thanks to him) being considered an option for the Sharks defense - both seem like sideways trades at best if you're looking at moving Demers and neither will even come close to replacing what Boyle does.

I am using them as examples of guys who haven't really been given a chance but are much further along the learning curve. I don't really have a problem with giving Demers a chance, but some do. I don't look at Boyle as a sideways trade if it is to open up space and fill from within or with a minor acquisition. Use Boyle to effectively fill true needs like quality forward depth. Boyle is falling into the medium level of QBs, no longer elite. At this past seasons level, Burns would be an equal. They won't get a readymade Boyle replacement out of the draft.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I am using them as examples of guys who haven't really been given a chance but are much further along the learning curve. I don't really have a problem with giving Demers a chance, but some do. I don't look at Boyle as a sideways trade if it is to open up space and fill from within or with a minor acquisition. Use Boyle to effectively fill true needs like quality forward depth. Boyle is falling into the medium level of QBs, no longer elite. At this past seasons level, Burns would be an equal. They won't get a readymade Boyle replacement out of the draft.

Don't agree at all with the bolded statement but that really doesn't matter. There is no one in the Sharks org that has Boyle's skillset, he's a very unique player even if he's slowed down a little bit.

Moving Boyle for a legit return (top 6 forward) would make sense to me even if I don't agree with it but moving Boyle for cap space is not a sideways move in my opinion, it's a backwards move.

The Sharks aren't going to get a readymade NHLer out of the draft at all unless they move up into the top 7 or 8 so that's not something I'm even considering.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Don't agree at all with the bolded statement but that really doesn't matter. There is no one in the Sharks org that has Boyle's skillset, he's a very unique player even if he's slowed down a little bit.

Moving Boyle for a legit return (top 6 forward) would make sense to me even if I don't agree with it but moving Boyle for cap space is not a sideways move in my opinion, it's a backwards move.

The Sharks aren't going to get a readymade NHLer out of the draft at all unless they move up into the top 7 or 8 so that's not something I'm even considering.
I made the bolded statement based on his numbers, the #1 units PP efficacy and by eyeball. At peak, Boyle was assuredly elite offensively, top 3. I have him somewhere between 10 and 17 right now. That is a drop. Burns was QBing at a rate season before last and previously that would match Boyle's last season.

By cap space, I meant space to allow for signing scoring forward depth.

Last edited:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I made the bolded statement based on his numbers, the #1 units PP efficacy and by eyeball. At peak, Boyle was assuredly elite offensively, top 3. I have him somewhere between 10 and 17 right now. That is a drop. Burns was QBing at a rate season before last and previously that would match Boyle's last season.

its unfortunate, but i think a lot depends on what type of players are falling that we can actually trade for.

burns could very well be at forward permanently after this off-season. we seem to be pursuing (based on rumors only) forwards...so think theyd prefer him on the blue line. but if somehow we trade for gardiner for instance, we may end up keeping him up and not moving boyle.

either way i think the team is in pretty good shape. cap crunch is beneficial to us.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
its unfortunate, but i think a lot depends on what type of players are falling that we can actually trade for.

burns could very well be at forward permanently after this off-season. we seem to be pursuing (based on rumors only) forwards...so think theyd prefer him on the blue line. but if somehow we trade for gardiner for instance, we may end up keeping him up and not moving boyle.

either way i think the team is in pretty good shape. cap crunch is beneficial to us.
With the drafting, trade ups, trades and deadline deals, DW has pretty much stripped the cupboard of assets. The only way to get around that is to grab UFAs, reclamation projects. He has a little bit of depth left on defense and that is about it. He doesn't have a lot of cap space to go the UFA route. Trading out of limited resources just closes one hole and opens another.

Contrary to Jux, I am almost certain that DW has claimed Havlat's cap space with the league for LTIR this off-season. All he has to do for the league to grant the space is get the doc to certify that there is no possible way that Havlat will be ready for the season's start. Judging from the comments around the surgery, that shouldn't be a problem.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
With the drafting, trade ups, trades and deadline deals, DW has pretty much stripped the cupboard of assets. The only way to get around that is to grab UFAs, reclamation projects. He has a little bit of depth left on defense and that is about it. He doesn't have a lot of cap space to go the UFA route. Trading out of limited resources just closes one hole and opens another.

Contrary to Jux, I am almost certain that DW has claimed Havlat's cap space with the league for LTIR this off-season. All he has to do for the league to grant the space is get the doc to certify that there is no possible way that Havlat will be ready for the season's start. Judging from the comments around the surgery, that shouldn't be a problem.

Hey, I'm a pessimist when it comes to the Sharks. :laugh:

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
I mean, Jim Johnson was an AC with Tampa Bay...maybe he and Vinnie are BFFs and can get him to come here for Gomez money :D

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Real_ESPNLeBrun 11:03am via web
Dallas Stars meeting with Lecavalier camp later today. Don't sleep on Dallas in this one. They're keen on him.

Real_ESPNLeBrun 11:05am via web
Lecavalier is here, he'll be in that meeting with the Stars, FYI. Lecavalier camp meeting with other teams today as well...

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Buccigross 11:16am via Twitter for iPhone
As I tweeted two days ago, my top 5 fits for Vinny: (no order) Florida, Nash, Dallas, Avs, Montreal. Not great skater but mitts near paint

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I don't think it's all that relevant for him to get it for the off-season. They're allowed to go over by 10% so that's more than Havlat's cap figure. Once the season starts and the 10% cushion goes away, they put him on LTIR and use what they need to.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I don't think it's all that relevant for him to get it for the off-season. They're allowed to go over by 10% so that's more than Havlat's cap figure. Once the season starts and the 10% cushion goes away, they put him on LTIR and use what they need to.

Either way, I figure he has plenty of room to maneuver.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The only way VL comes to the Sharks is if he wants to win another cup and is willing to take a 1-2 year deal for cheap to supplement his buyout money instead of going for top dollar. Realistically if he takes a cheap contract and can win a cup he may end up getting more than if he just went for the big contract now... but we will see. Having friends on the team may help as well.

Nobody is going to give him a huge contract. His buyout for the next 2 seasons is 4.167 million. 2 mill contract would push him over the money he was set to make this season. And i have yet to see 1 player/team sign a buy out player to more then his previous contract would of paid counting the buyout. Teams will be especially strict on this line of thinking.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
The only way VL comes to the Sharks is if he wants to win another cup and is willing to take a 1-2 year deal for cheap to supplement his buyout money instead of going for top dollar. Realistically if he takes a cheap contract and can win a cup he may end up getting more than if he just went for the big contract now... but we will see. Having friends on the team may help as well.

Why would he sign with us if he wants to win another Cup?

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
hilarious that dallas keeps attracting older UFAs. tax law benefiting them? actually florida is the same as well.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
Um, Melrose has HATED the Sharks for a long, long time.

In 95, Sharks down 3-2 to Calgary (lost 3 straight to CGY), when asked about the Sharks chances to come back and win the series, he famously said, "No chance."

When the Sharks fired Constantine, he REALLY wanted the Sharks job and didn't get it. He has hated the Sharks ever since. Yeah he did pick the Sharks once to win it all, but that was when it was in vogue to do so. And frankly, he probably knows about his jinx powers. :laugh:

Not that it matters, but I thought Milbury said that.

oyster

Jan 19, 2011
By ignoring their real holes. If you want to dream why not dream big and go for Letang

Forward depth and 5v5 scoring have been serious problems for this team for a while now. Vinny could potentially help with that, but I'm not entirely confident that the PP could maintain its effectiveness without Boyle next season, which IMO is the only way this gets done.

NWShark*

By cap space, I meant space to allow for signing scoring forward depth.

Burns has never QB'd at a rate that matches boyle now or previously. Burns never QB'd the Minn PP. It was always MAREK ZIDLICKY. And anytime he was out and it was just Burns running it their PP was atrocious...

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2011/4/25/2131160/minnesota-wild-season-grades-marek-zidlicky

"Dan- GRADE: B Logs the most PP time/game out of anyone on the team, is the key defender on the powerplay and logs tons of minutes. It shows, because when Zidlicky when down from 1/2/11 to 2/18/11, the team scored only 8 PP goals in 54 Power Plays (14.8%)."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad