Rumor: Vinny Lecavalier bought out... UPD: signed in Philadelphia

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
The Brian Marchment trade. The Sharks gave Tampa Bay the option of swapping first round picks. You are correct that the Sharks had the 1st from the Kozlov trade.

And it is the bolded part that Espo boldly says he duped Deano into doing to guarantee they would get Vinny. On Sirius XM, I've heard him use the terms "pull a fast one" and "swindle" in reference to this swap trade, saying that he knew full well this would insure Vinny would go to Tampa when he made the deal. Everytime I hear Espo discuss this, it gets me angry. Especially considering he duped Deano, who then went on to say **** you to us last year when he won the Cup. With Sutter as his HC.

Last edited:

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
No thanks on Vinny. I don't think another aging center is going to be the answer to our problems. I'd rather spend the money on solid bottom 6 guys that can contribute.

Not to mention he's a massive defensive liability.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
Wow I thought Havlat was overpaid? $10M for Vinny?

The Sharks have enough centers as it is, unless he's willing to accept what Gomez got last year.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If the price was right, sure. The right price in my ideal world is a lot lower than it may be in most of yours.

If Pavelski makes it clear he has no desire to stay here, and we trade him for a cheap top-6 winger like Perron, then sure, I'd take Lecavalier. Otherwise, no.

He wouldn't come here anyway. Montreal or Florida.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'll pass on Vinny. He's another center and a defensive liability.

I don't think we need more of those.

Yeah but he has size, can skate and scores goals. if he wanted to come here for cheap for some reason you'd be stupid not to sign him for a year.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Yeah but he has size, can skate and scores goals. if he wanted to come here for cheap for some reason you'd be stupid not to sign him for a year.

If people think he'd sign for 700k, they're crazy. He's been declining, but not at Scott Gomez levels. He's still going to command a couple million bucks, and we could probably use that money better elsewhere.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Sure, only way I see that happening is if Boyle convinces him and that both seems like a massive long shot and would be pretty sad if we then traded Boyle or let him walk next season heh.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Sure, only way I see that happening is if Boyle convinces him and that both seems like a massive long shot and would be pretty sad if we then traded Boyle or let him walk next season heh.

I never doubt DW's ability to pull something crafty off. :laugh:

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
If people think he'd sign for 700k, they're crazy. He's been declining, but not at Scott Gomez levels. He's still going to command a couple million bucks, and we could probably use that money better elsewhere.

I agree it could be used elsewhere but the UFA class is lackluster as it has been the past few years I wouldn't mind it.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

I don't think Boyle is even close to Lecavalier. I remember one interview where he was like, he has family still in Tampa, but he doesn't keep in contact with any of his former teammates there. :laugh:

greatwhiteshark

Jun 12, 2013
Bay Area, Cali
Did you say....if the price is right!?

Sorry I had to lol, :naughty:

In all seriousness though, if we could get him for the right price then sure, but I think he'd want around $6-7 million.

What happened in the showcase? Lol, this reminds me of the How I Met Your Mother Episode with Barney on the show.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Main board forum post in the free agents section on him said he was looking for 1-yr 5m. Unless Havlat's really going to be out all year on LTIR and we can use his entire cap hit for a replacement, I don't think we can afford Lecavalier, even if he'd come here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad