OT: Video Games III

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
I will say when I got my PS4 yesterday I was tempted to ebay it, easy $200 profit.

They're selling for ~$560 right now on ebay. Subtract 13% (ebay + paypal fees), and then subtract $400, and you're left with $87 (less if you paid tax on your ps4)

They were selling for $650-$700 at launch, so the price is only going down (sold my ps4 for $650 and xbone for $845 at launch).

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
I'll just throw this out there:

http://kotaku.com/about-those-xbox-one-vs-ps4-graphics-rumors-1454130634

The gist? Some people actually in the development industry don't think the development hump for XBox One will be an issue in 6 months, once developers get over it.

It won't matter though. We'll hear from the Sony fanboys for the next 5 years about the power gap.

PC Master Race reporting in. Now there's a power gap worth discussing (especially in 5 years... Jesus, I can't even imagine).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
PC Master Race reporting in. Now there's a power gap worth discussing (especially in 5 years... Jesus, I can't even imagine).

wallpaper__glorious_pc_gaming_master_race_by_admiralserenity-d5qvxos.png

BrettXNA*

I'll just throw this out there:

http://kotaku.com/about-those-xbox-one-vs-ps4-graphics-rumors-1454130634

The gist? Some people actually in the development industry don't think the development hump for XBox One will be an issue in 6 months, once developers get over it.

It won't matter though. We'll hear from the Sony fanboys for the next 5 years about the power gap.

Devs being diplomatic to console makers in the media - shocker.
Again, take the pc equivalent of the ps4 gpu (7850) and xbox one gpu (7790) and benchmark them in the same pc with the same games. It wont be the gpu the xbox one is based on (7790) coming out ahead.
And then you have the bandwidth advantage the ps4 has from gddr5 ram.
The point - no special coding required to take advantage of just plain flat out faster processors in the ps4.
Oh the article points out that developers will become more familliar with the xbox one and its dev tools will improve - funny how they ignore the fact the same things will happen with ps4 development.
It wont matter though - we'll continue to see the xbox fanboys bury their heads in the sand and use body parts that werent designed for speech or thought to think and talk with.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
It is easy to get an XBOX One, they had over 40 when I went out for Black Friday.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Steam Holiday Sale is on. Amazon and Uplay are having sales as well. Hope EA does the same with Origin. Would like to pick up BF4, but don't want to pay 60 + another 15 for the DLC

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
So after a weekend of PS4 (only played Lego Marvel Superheroes...might get into some COD this week...but Vegas is looming this weekend)...I dig the system. Very smooth and nice and improved menu. Multiple logins are simple and easy between myself and the wife.

The kiddo loves the Playroom thing with the robots. It'll be nice to have some updates for that over time.

I'm a fan.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Am I the only one that can't get into BF? I try to like it but the MP just doesn't do much for me.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Am I the only one that can't get into BF? I try to like it but the MP just doesn't do much for me.

Both BF and CoD are suffering the same problem not really bringing anything new to the table other than some small feature that can be marketed but in the end the novelty wears off. For all the levelolution stuff in BF4 its like cool once..and then its back to TDM for me. My current system can barely handle it so until I finish up the new one I'm building so I can't really give a fair review yet. I really hate having to keep using one damn gun to open up accessories for it. I totally despise that. I don't like sniping anyway but it still blows but IMHO it has always sucked. Still believe Medal of Honor really nailed it with sniping (not that craptastic sequel Warfighter).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The repetitiveness of the game play across all FPS games has basically killed the genre for me. You play one, and you've pretty much played them all. I'm hoping that developers will figure out some new and interesting gameplay features utilizing the new tech in a year or so.

I'm much more into the 3rd-person shooter types (Mass Effect, Gears of War, Red Dead Redemption, etc.) For whatever reason, they seem to always have much more depth and innovative game play.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Playing Deus Ex:Human Revolution (PC). Got it free with my video card upgrade. Really fun game. I've never played any in the series but it's got me hooked.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
So after a weekend of PS4 (only played Lego Marvel Superheroes...might get into some COD this week...but Vegas is looming this weekend)...I dig the system. Very smooth and nice and improved menu. Multiple logins are simple and easy between myself and the wife.

The kiddo loves the Playroom thing with the robots. It'll be nice to have some updates for that over time.

I'm a fan.

All i know is....

Attachments

• wallpaper__glorious_pc_gaming_master_race_by_admiralserenity-d5qvxos.png
    wallpaper__glorious_pc_gaming_master_race_by_admiralserenity-d5qvxos.png
    225.4 KB · Views: 2

Liberati0n*

Who cares about the consoles? I got Crusader Kings II/Victoria II/Hearts of Iron III/EU IV for like $20 total on Amazon the other day. :yo: #pcmasterrace

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The repetitiveness of the game play across all FPS games has basically killed the genre for me. You play one, and you've pretty much played them all. I'm hoping that developers will figure out some new and interesting gameplay features utilizing the new tech in a year or so.

I'm much more into the 3rd-person shooter types (Mass Effect, Gears of War, Red Dead Redemption, etc.) For whatever reason, they seem to always have much more depth and innovative game play.

Even though FPS is my preferred game type I would agree with the bolded. The real art in making a great FPS game is how fun it is and I think that art has been lost for a while. I used to be 95% FPS gamer now its like down to 20%.

BrettXNA*

The repetitiveness of the game play across all third-person games has basically killed the genre for me. You play one, and you've pretty much played them all. I'm hoping that developers will figure out some new and interesting gameplay features utilizing the new tech in a year or so.

I'm much more into the 1st-person shooter types (Killzone, Borderlands, Battlefield, Farcry 3, etc.) For whatever reason, they seem to always have much more depth and innovative game play.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I've mostly been playing Civ5..and messing around with Endless Space. Only game I'm looking forward to is the dragon age insurrection as they are bringing back many of the elements from DA: Origins from the YTs I've watched.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
I've mostly been playing Civ5..and messing around with Endless Space. Only game I'm looking forward to is the dragon age insurrection as they are bringing back many of the elements from DA: Origins from the YTs I've watched.

I started playing Civ 5 again when I upgraded. I love playing on large maps so towards the endgame the AI turns would take several minutes :laugh:

Dragon Age looks promising, still wish it was like ME where you could transfer your character through each game. At least you can choose your race again.

There's also The Witcher 3, think it comes out around the same time as Dragon Age. One game I hope we start hearing about again is Cyber Punk 2077, though its probably a late '15 or '16 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad