OT: Video Games III

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Finally got my system up and running. Haven't tried any games, but I love the fact that it takes 10 seconds to boot :laugh: Had no idea SSDs were this fast

Now if I could only update Windows 8 to 8.1. It fails every time it gets to 51%, seems like its happening to a lot of people

I wouldn't update to 8.1. I'm about to roll back to Win7.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Anyone up to 100% completion in GTA 5 yet? I'm up to 93% completion. It takes forever to complete the random pointless tasks like stunt jumps and playing golf.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sooo....COD Ghosts anyone? How is it?

I've been playing Path of Exile and Solstice Arena...amazing games for free these days...

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
How is it so far? Looking to get it once it gets restocked, kind of done with XBOX nickeling and diming you.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I debated going to Best Buy last night to stand in line, but Im too old for that nonsense. Ill get it later this week or whenever they restock.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Except you could have doubled/tripled that in a week or two.

Doubtful. Day 1 prices are always higher than pre-Christmas prices. The stock will be much higher by then.

Also, I never had to touch a shipping box or go to the post office. I just changed the Amazon address for a thing that I didn't even own yet. Pure profit, and literally no work done.

BrettXNA*

I debated going to Best Buy last night to stand in line, but Im too old for that nonsense. Ill get it later this week or whenever they restock.

Had the system pre-ordered since June. Showed up at Gamestop at 5pm last night at 6 they started handing out numbered tickets to pre-order holders. Showed up at 11:40pm at 11:50 they lined us up according to our number outside the store and let us in at midnight to pick up our systems. Didnt actually spend much time at the store, a little over an hour total yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrettXNA*

How is it so far? Looking to get it once it gets restocked, kind of done with XBOX nickeling and diming you.

Played about an hour of Killzone SF story mode last night - there is nothing really innovative about the gameplay but it is solid enjoyable stuff. Graphically however the game is an absolute stunner aside from a texture pop-in now and then. Its a true next-gen leap over ps3/360 as far I am concerned.
Battlefield 4 and COD Ghosts I spent a little bit of time in multiplayer - I have not played the last-gen versions but I understand they play exactly the same just look better on ps4/Xbox one.
Assassins Creed Black Flag and Knack I havent gotten to those yet.
Resogun is free with ps+ and is a blast - fun wise and in the looks department - if you liked Super Startdust or Defender style games this is for you.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Downloaded the latest Bioshock: Infinite DLC, "Burial At Sea Pt. 1" for PC the other night. Haven't had much time to spend with it (and I haven't touched the game itself at all since I beat it a second time months ago). But yeah, basically it's just Bioshock: Infinite with a Rapture (pre-civil war) skin on it.

Also got BF4 for PC over the weekend, but have barely touched it. I moved from a 1BR apt. to a 3BR rowhouse a couple of weeks ago, and the new place is still a mess of unpacked boxes, dirty laundry, empty take-out cartons, and junk everywhere.

Too broke to even consider thinking about buying a new console right now. Plus I've got a backlog of games (dating back to last year's Steam holiday sale) to catch up on and a handful of Kickstarter-backed games coming in soon. So it will just be PC gaming for me, with some occasional Xbox 360 Arcade (and older games) thrown in.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm picking up my PS4 this week... I won it in a raffle. Deciding whether to sell that or the XBox that I happened to win in a different raffle. I'll probably wait until Black Friday to list it. Keep the reviews coming, please.

BrettXNA*

I'm picking up my PS4 this week... I won it in a raffle. Deciding whether to sell that or the XBox that I happened to win in a different raffle. I'll probably wait until Black Friday to list it. Keep the reviews coming, please.

If you play alot of multi-platform games then keep the ps4. The extra power of the ps4 is going to ensure that almost all muiti-plats will look and run better on Sonys machine. And the extra power of the ps4 isnt locked behind exotic processor architectures that almost no one knows how to program for like they were in past playstations like the cell in ps3 meaning that it wont be too long before that power difference between the ps4 and xbox one start to show up.
If your into online multi-player then it might be a toss-up. I really believe that Sony has put alot of work into improving the psn and that it will be equal to xbox live in terms of online gaming this gen.
Btw I do have an Xbox One on pre-order - I will use it for exclusives this gen.

Last edited by a moderator:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Been playing some BF4 PC just on the weekends. Hard to really give it a good review since my gaming pc is on its last legs. I know they had this for BF3 but I played only 45 minutes of BF3 but man do I hate gun unlocks are based on using the darn gun. Just let me level and choose what to unlock, sheesh.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Played AC4 and Flower on the PS4. Both run great, though they should because they're last gen titles at their core, but the system is smooth as butter. I really like the interface, which is much less cluttered than the 360 was.

The NHL app runs very well even though A) PSN is kind of melting down tonight and B) my internet is awful.

BrettXNA*

Because the difference in power isn't significant enough and the developers aren't familiar enough with the architecture to fully take advantage of the difference.

You arent thinking your argument through.
The power gap is more significant than it has been since the ps2/og xbox generation:
1.84 teraflops ps4 vs 1.31 for xbox one - about 40 percent.
The ps4's ram also has more bandwidth than the xbox one thus microsofts decision to include 32mg of esram in xbox one to try and compensate for the bandwidth difference. This decision also complicates development for the xbox one something that devs dont have to worry about on the ps4. This means data which needs to be processed can be moved about between the ram/cpu/gpu much faster on the ps4 than xbox one.
The og Xbox was much more powerful than the ps2 and was very straightforward to develop for. Almost all multi-plats between the 2 looked better on the xbox.
The ps3 had slightly more processing power than the 360 but due to a split memory pool and a brand new processor architecture that nobody knew how to work with development on the ps3 was a nightmare in the beginning and for the first several years of the generation the multi-plats looked and ran better on xbox 360.
So in short we have a situation where one console has a 40 percent power advantage over the other and is much more straightforward to develop for.

BrettXNA*

Because the difference in power isn't significant enough and the developers aren't familiar enough with the architecture to fully take advantage of the difference.

:shakehead
These are pc gpus and cpus modified for use in a closed, locked-down enviroment. The ps4 gpu is based on a amd 7850 the xbox one amd 7790.
The cpu's are amd jaguars - x86 based.
Devs are familiar with many aspects of this architecture with the possible exception of gpu compute.
If the devs are not familiar with anything its the xbox ones esram. And even after they learn the esram the xbox ones bandwidth is still less than the ps4's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad