OT: Video Games III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
:shakehead
These are pc gpus and cpus modified for use in a closed, locked-down enviroment. The ps4 gpu is based on a amd 7850 the xbox one amd 7790.
The cpu's are amd jaguars - x86 based.
Devs are familiar with many aspects of this architecture with the possible exception of gpu compute.
If the devs are not familiar with anything its the xbox ones esram. And even after they learn the esram the xbox ones bandwidth is still less than the ps4's.

YEAH....what he said!!!

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
You arent thinking your argument through.
The power gap is more significant than it has been since the ps2/og xbox generation:
1.84 teraflops ps4 vs 1.31 for xbox one - about 40 percent.
The ps4's ram also has more bandwidth than the xbox one thus microsofts decision to include 32mg of esram in xbox one to try and compensate for the bandwidth difference. This decision also complicates development for the xbox one something that devs dont have to worry about on the ps4. This means data which needs to be processed can be moved about between the ram/cpu/gpu much faster on the ps4 than xbox one.
The og Xbox was much more powerful than the ps2 and was very straightforward to develop for. Almost all multi-plats between the 2 looked better on the xbox.
The ps3 had slightly more processing power than the 360 but due to a split memory pool and a brand new processor architecture that nobody knew how to work with development on the ps3 was a nightmare in the beginning and for the first several years of the generation the multi-plats looked and ran better on xbox 360.
So in short we have a situation where one console has a 40 percent power advantage over the other and is much more straightforward to develop for.

Developers code for the lowest common denominator. Multiplat titles will look nearly identical across platforms, as they did in the last generation.

Apr 6, 2004
Having a PS4 and not being able to play online .... = tilting.

BrettXNA*

Developers code for the lowest common denominator. Multiplat titles will look nearly identical across platforms, as they did in the last generation.

Not true, plain and simple. Multi-plats looked and ran much better on the og xbox and it had a huge power advantage over the ps2.
And multi-plats looked and ran better on the 360 vs ps3 for the first several years of this past generation mainly due to the complexity of the cell and the ps3's split memory pool. It wasnt until the gen was 3-4 years old that ps3 multi-plats caught up to the 360.
Also devs wont necessarily need to code specifically for the ps4's gpu to make multi-plats perform better on ps4.
Consider this situation:
Setup a pc with windows and an amd 7850 which is the gpu the ps4's gpu is based on. Now run some games and benchmark them.
Now replace that gpu leaving the rest of the pc unchanged with an amd 7790 which is what the xbox ones gpu is based on and benchmark the same games. You will see a significant difference in performance in favor of the 7850 - no special coding required just a faster version of the same gpu.
This is the situation with the ps4 vs xbox one.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Not true, plain and simple. Multi-plats looked and ran much better on the og xbox and it had a huge power advantage over the ps2.

That's not really relevant for two reasons. First, the OG Xbox had a much bigger tech advantage over the PS2 than the PS4 has over the XBone, and second that was before the real multiplatform era started. These days 3rd party games are multiplatform by default, back then it was the opposite.

Anyway, my point stands that this time around multiplat titles are going to be virtually identical except for the online space (PSN v. Live) and whatever exclusives Sony or MS can purchase.

BrettXNA*

That's not really relevant for two reasons. First, the OG Xbox had a much bigger tech advantage over the PS2 than the PS4 has over the XBone, and second that was before the real multiplatform era started. These days 3rd party games are multiplatform by default, back then it was the opposite.

Anyway, my point stands that this time around multiplat titles are going to be virtually identical except for the online space (PSN v. Live) and whatever exclusives Sony or MS can purchase.

Saying something with your eyes closed and clicking your heels together three times doesnt make it come true.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah? I'm tempted to get it, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've got a lot of other stuff on my plate that makes it a bit of a hesitant purchase. I might just wait until it drops price wise, especially on the Black Friday sales.

Though, my TF2 earnings because of dumb kiddos would balance it. Who the heck would spend 15-16 dollars for a TF2 item I got for free for buying Football Manager?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I am absolutely baffled at being able to sell faux achievements for $.20 a pop, but people are buying it. Again, baffling, but if people will pay for it...

I love it, it's free Steam money! I hope Sony does something similar.

BrettXNA*

So who has taken the plunge into the new generation with a Playstation 4 or Xbox One ?
I pre-ordered a PS4 from my local Gamestop and picked it up at launch Nov 15th. Absolutely love it! I was an avid gamer on the 360 until about 2 years ago when I started being much more selective about the games I played. Quite honestly the games from last gen from the last couple of years all looked graphically about the same - I resorted to playing the games I really loved again to alleviate the boredom - Dragons Dogma, Dark Souls, Farcry 3 etc. I remember giving Crysis 3 a shot about 2 months ago - I played about 20 mins, sighed hit eject and handed the disk to my stepson. Havent seen it since and I dont miss it.
Enter the PS4 - holy ****! Who would have thought clean, crisp image quality and solid framerates for the most part would have such an effect on ones enjoyment on gameplay!
For awhile there I really thought I was losing interest in gaming but the PS4 definitely is reigniting my interest. I played through the Killzone campaign to the end, I am on Battlefield 4 playing team deathmatch every day for a couple of hours. I have Knack which I have played about 30 mins so far and enjoyed it and have Asassins Creed:Black Flag and Need For Speed: Rivals to get to. Also play Resogun regularly and have COD:Ghosts to get to as well.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
FINALLY got a PS4 today, the last one too. Shocked there was one left after I got off work.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I don't even understand what you're trying to say here.

I don't know if he works for Sony, or MS fired him. But almost nothing he says regarding the consoles makes sense

Been extremely happy with the XBox One since launch. Ryse was a hell of a lot of fun (albeit short) and very impressive graphically. Forza's beautiful and will have a long play-life. Played a little bit of Killer Instinct and it definitely brings back memories, but I've barely touched it.

The thing many were *****ing about, Kinect integration, is sweet. The user (I'm assuming facial) recognition is scary good, and the ability to instantly go to any of your apps (or TV) is extremely convenient. My favorite use was in Ryse, when you could use it to issue voice commands to your legion (e.g. "Fire Volley" commands your archers to fire a volley of arrows to support you). Once that application is really flushed out, it'll add a ton of depth to the right kind of games (that might be the future of RTS). I mean, when you have a video game console that will respond to you when you talk to it, who needs social interaction?

Really looking forward to when some of the more anticipated games come out (Quantum Break, Watch Dogs, and The Division especially).

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I don't know if he works for Sony, or MS fired him. But almost nothing he says regarding the consoles makes sense

Been extremely happy with the XBox One since launch. Ryse was a hell of a lot of fun (albeit short) and very impressive graphically. Forza's beautiful and will have a long play-life. Played a little bit of Killer Instinct and it definitely brings back memories, but I've barely touched it.

The thing many were *****ing about, Kinect integration, is sweet. The user (I'm assuming facial) recognition is scary good, and the ability to instantly go to any of your apps (or TV) is extremely convenient. My favorite use was in Ryse, when you could use it to issue voice commands to your legion (e.g. "Fire Volley" commands your archers to fire a volley of arrows to support you). Once that application is really flushed out, it'll add a ton of depth to the right kind of games (that might be the future of RTS). I mean, when you have a video game console that will respond to you when you talk to it, who needs social interaction?

Really looking forward to when some of the more anticipated games come out (Quantum Break, Watch Dogs, and The Division especially).

Forza was the only must-have exclusive for me. Glad to see it's actually good.

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
I'm going to wait at least until Q1 or Q2 into 2014 to decide on which console to buy. There seems to be a lot of issues with them currently based off of friends so I'm sure they will improve gradually. There also hasn't been a "next gen" game released that a) wasn't ported from the xbox 360 or PS3 or b) really grabbed my attention enough to warrant buying a new system.

Meanwhile I did spend some money on the steam sale and snagged Garry's Mod, The Wolf Among Us, Stanley's Parable, and a few others.

BrettXNA*

I don't even understand what you're trying to say here.

It means just because you want 3rd party exclusives to be equal on the Xbox One and PS4 doesn’t mean its going to happen and that the power gap between the two systems is real and significant regardless of how much some posters wish it wasn’t.
PS4:
COD 1080P Comparable framerate to Xbox One
Assassins Creed 1080P Comparable framerate to Xbox One
Battlefield 4 900P Significant framerate advantage over Xbox One
Xbox One
COD 720P
Assassins Creed 900P
Battlefield 4 720P

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It means just because you want 3rd party exclusives to be equal on the Xbox One and PS4 doesn’t mean its going to happen and that the power gap between the two systems is real and significant regardless of how much some posters wish it wasn’t.
PS4:
COD 1080P Comparable framerate to Xbox One
Assassins Creed 1080P Comparable framerate to Xbox One
Battlefield 4 900P Significant framerate advantage over Xbox One
Xbox One
COD 720P
Assassins Creed 900P
Battlefield 4 720P

Fight on, brave console warrior. IDGAF, as long as I get a ton of good games on the PS4, which is pretty much guaranteed at this point.

IRTT

I'm very happy with the PS4, but I didn't get it for exclusives, which is good because there aren't any that I care about. I got it to play 3rd party games at the highest level, since my PCs are ancient. I'm loving Black Flag.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I will say when I got my PS4 yesterday I was tempted to ebay it, easy $200 profit.

BrettXNA*

Fight on, brave console warrior. IDGAF, as long as I get a ton of good games on the PS4, which is pretty much guaranteed at this point.

IRTT

I'm very happy with the PS4, but I didn't get it for exclusives, which is good because there aren't any that I care about. I got it to play 3rd party games at the highest level, since my PCs are ancient. I'm loving Black Flag.
So I am a console warrior because your arguments were proven wrong ? Nice.
If what I was saying didnt have a basis in reality then you would have a point with the console warrior crack. However since what I have been saying is true...
And also take into consideration that I was pretty much a 360 exclusive gamer last gen. I go with whatever is the best product and in this case it is the PS4 by a clear margin.
If your going to express an opinion back it up with facts and sound reasoning. If you dont do so then dont complain when someone points out your arguments flaws.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Is anyone looking at Every Quest Next or Elder Scrolls Online?

I am leaning Elder Scrolls Online based on the 3-way PvP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad