Confirmed with Link: Versteeg (Speculation: Method Man quitting the Flames)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I do not think this is anyone's ideal or first choice. But I am going to take a wait and see approach. I do not think the Flames will tolerate any crap at that salary and will send him packing if any incidences occur.

The thing is, from my understanding, that "incidents" aren't going to occur. He's just a general *********.

From a hockey standpoint, I don't know if there's necessarily a downside to the move unless he really makes the lockerroom atmosphere worse. But I can absolutely understand why it would suck to be forced to cheer for a guy whom you know is a bad human.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This whole thread just reminds me of the Bertuzzi signing. That ended up working out well enough, and Versteeg doesn't have half the baggage that Bertuzzi did. I think everyone just needs to chill out and see how the first few games go before making any sort of definitive statement.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Apparently he sacrifices babies for some sort of demonic underlord in exchange for his hockey skills.

68f89f7d5e71d95fd81b9d0be6f7d7ab.gif

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
MM, can I ask when your last interaction with him was? I just ask because I know that for the most part, young, talented Alberta hockey players can be of the a hole variety and it sounds like he had been in the top echelon of that.

I also share mutual friends with him and my brief encounters with him (over only the past 2 years) has been very pleasant. I just wonder if maturity has set in, especially since having a second child and getting married.

Obviously his family could very well carry the entitlement of having an NHLer as a relative, and that will never change them, but I think it's possible he could have dropped a lot of the bad character issues he's had years ago. Being traded around like he has been has to be humbling.

And my thoughts on him not being good because he's been moved so much, I think it could be that he's just a middle-level player that teams want to have, but don't want to pay for. All his contracts are the 1 to 2 year 'show me' deals, and for the most part he does prove his worth, but his value then jumps to a higher price teams want for a middle 6 player. His value will always really only be worth a couple of draft picks at the deadline so teams cash in through him.

Just my thoughts. Thought I'd try to add a little optimism that he won't be a total POS and submarine this team. :dunno:

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Hey Meth, before you go....
Just know....

I'm there for you, anytime you need me. For real girl, it's me and your world, believe me.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Completely agreed. At least Versteeg has some relative skill to go alongside Monahan and Gaudreau. Having Ferland or Chiasson as our de facto #1 RW is unacceptable.

I think the biggest thing is that PAP was totally available, and if the Flames wanted a minor gamble they could've claimed Pulkkinen instead.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think the biggest thing is that PAP was totally available, and if the Flames wanted a minor gamble they could've claimed Pulkkinen instead.

PAP was more expensive and Pulkkinen would likely require cap very soon.

This is a strong low risk move for Calgary.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

PAP is making 1.5 million, given our cap situation that may not have been the best route to go.
I think Pulkkinen would career substantially more risk than Versteeg if he were going to be 1 RW.

All in all, if you give me a choice between the 3, with current contracts, I think I have to take Versteeg over the other 2.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We closed the training camp thread, but Flames have made their opening day roster announcement.

Smido on the IR
Bolls to Stockton
Kulak to remain with the big club.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Curious but are there any sources to Versteeg being a problem? A lot of this seems like here-say.

Truthfully how do you really go wrong with a right handed RW, for under a million for one season. If he's awful we can bury him or wheel him for a pick at the deadline, no harm done.

I'm personally jacked about this signing. Calgary Blackhawks are becoming a thing. :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Curious but are there any sources to Versteeg being a problem? A lot of this seems like here-say.

When you get hear-say from multiple people from Lethbridge, is there really a reason to doubt it? It's not like it's a normal thing for people to all just collectively decide to badmouth a guy together for ***** and giggles. I have a hard time imagining that all these people are just making it up. There's been at least three posters I've seen all with the exactly same feelings.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
When you get hear-say from multiple people from Lethbridge, is there really a reason to doubt it? It's not like it's a normal thing for people to all just collectively decide to badmouth a guy together for ***** and giggles. I have a hard time imagining that all these people are just making it up. There's been at least three posters I've seen all with the exactly same feelings.

But to play devil's advocate, you give any young kid from a small town a few million dollars and they're likely to think they're the show and act accordingly.

If all the opinions we're hearing of him are from things that were said and done while he was just that, a young kid, maybe we need to find some updated opinions to get a better idea of who he's going to be in the Flames locker room.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But to play devil's advocate, you give any young kid from a small town a few million dollars and they're likely to think they're the show and act accordingly.

If all the opinions we're hearing of him are from things that were said and done while he was just that, a young kid, maybe we need to find some updated opinions to get a better idea of who he's going to be in the Flames locker room.

Most of the stories are from before he made the NHL, and concern his family, too. It's not even like people are defaming him, they just all think he's a jerk. There's no motivation to feel that way unless it's true, IMO. One person saying it, and it could just have been a bad first impression. Everyone saying it, though? Doesn't seem like it.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary

I haven't heard one legit reason to call him a pos or a problem in the dressing room. People are slandering him, and giving no evidence. People talk and repeat rumours as if they are fact, that happens all the time, so it's not evidence. If he were as bad as he is being portrayed why is there not a collection of incidents used as examples in this thread ? It should be easy enough to find, if it's stories from his playing days in Lethbridge, I mean he was a teen then, people change a lot in that time. I think he deserves a fair shake rather a labelled bad for the room when there is no evidence for it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Most of the stories are from before he made the NHL, and concern his family, too. It's not even like people are defaming him, they just all think he's a jerk. There's no motivation to feel that way unless it's true, IMO. One person saying it, and it could just have been a bad first impression. Everyone saying it, though? Doesn't seem like it.

200.gif

I mean, paired with the stories some posters have shared, there's also the curiosity as to why Versteeg keeps getting traded over and over. 3 years is the longest he's been on an NHL team via quick wiki check and he's been on quite a few for a season or less.

Overall, I doubt he will be a locker room cancer or anything, but there is a bit of curiosity regarding some "stories" that are being floated around.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I haven't heard one legit reason to call him a pos or a problem in the dressing room. People are slandering him, and giving no evidence. People talk and repeat rumours as if they are fact, that happens all the time, so it's not evidence. If he were as bad as he is being portrayed why is there not a collection of incidents used as examples in this thread ? It should be easy enough to find, if it's stories from his playing days in Lethbridge, I mean he was a teen then, people change a lot in that time. I think he deserves a fair shake rather a labelled bad for the room when there is no evidence for it.

The irony is that it is not slander specifically because they aren't relating unverifiable incidents, but rather just the general sentiment.

I, personally, have no reason to hate him, but I feel bad for the people who do and are now in the uncomfortable position of hoping he succeeds at least in a team sense.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
The irony is that it is not slander specifically because they aren't relating unverifiable incidents, but rather just the general sentiment.

I, personally, have no reason to hate him, but I feel bad for the people who do and are now in the uncomfortable position of hoping he succeeds at least in a team sense.

Yeah, I see your point there.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Don't like him but he's better than the other RW options to possibly play with Monahan and Gaudreau. On a one year seal, I can deal with it gives us some goals Kris.

God Damn It: Or; How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Versteeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad