Confirmed with Link: Versteeg (Speculation: Method Man quitting the Flames)

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
200.gif

I mean, paired with the stories some posters have shared, there's also the curiosity as to why Versteeg keeps getting traded over and over. 3 years is the longest he's been on an NHL team via quick wiki check and he's been on quite a few for a season or less.

Overall, I doubt he will be a locker room cancer or anything, but there is a bit of curiosity regarding some "stories" that are being floated around.

I wouldn't consider him being dealt several times a bad thing. He's not a primary piece. Teams move secondary guys all the time. Versteeg doesn't really bring enough to the table to be a top 6 guy. He's also not suited for the bottom 6. He's a stopgap player basically.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wouldn't consider him being dealt several times a bad thing. He's not a primary piece. Teams move secondary guys all the time. Versteeg doesn't really bring enough to the table to be a top 6 guy. He's also not suited for the bottom 6. He's a stopgap player basically.

I agree with you. I'm just saying it's definitely a detail that is oft added to the rumor mill along with the anecdotes others have relating to this guy.

However, no matter what the reason, it feels like Versteeg is/will be the easy whipping boy this season for many posters.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For those asking my encounters with him range from just before his junior days to just over a year ago. It's also not just 1 or 2 times, it's closer to double digits. In every encounter he was rude, arrogant, talked down to me and it was the same with his father (who was a regular customer of mine at a store I worked) and his brother.

If you want a sample of his attitude just google "Kris Versteeg car", how he casually drops the value of his car, it's like that all the time.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
I'm not sure about you guys but I would be pretty pissed if people spat all over my car and wrote **** all over it... And I drive a 2002 Ford Taurus, worth probably about 3,500 because of it's pristine condition and low KM's.

Not really sure what the issue is here.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
For those asking my encounters with him range from just before his junior days to just over a year ago. It's also not just 1 or 2 times, it's closer to double digits. In every encounter he was rude, arrogant, talked down to me and it was the same with his father (who was a regular customer of mine at a store I worked) and his brother.

If you want a sample of his attitude just google "Kris Versteeg car", how he casually drops the value of his car, it's like that all the time.

To be fair most hockey players are completely in love with themselves and probably come off as cocky and arrogant. But, like others have said, it doesn't mean he's a bad teammate. And other than Parenteau he was probably the best fit of any free players out there.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
To be fair most hockey players are completely in love with themselves and probably come off as cocky and arrogant. But, like others have said, it doesn't mean he's a bad teammate. And other than Parenteau he was probably the best fit of any free players out there.

This is honestly my biggest concern regarding Versteeg being a Flame, and I am not the only Flames fan that has some concern about his constant moving around as a player in the NHL. My concern is his off ice attitude towards people being no different than who he is on the ice or towards his teammates. Like I have said before, I am going to try and be optimistic about him signing with the Flames (as I don't have the same level or type of interactions with him or his family as MM has). I am hoping that Rangediddy is right in saying that he's humbled with age, constantly moving (via trade), and having a family of his own. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if character issues do get brought up at any point during this season.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Just wanted to point out that the reigning Hart trophy winner is a certifiable jerk. He's been accused of a lot of, um, transgressions. Doesn't mean he can't help a hockey team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
With his skill, if he was a decent teammate he would not be changing teams each year. You hear players share that sentiment often, there is a reason why the same guys are always traded. I hope he works out, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't. I'm quite certain he was on the Hawks when Brendan Morrison blew his knee out and when he was being carried off past their bench a certain group of Hawks were chirping and talking trash showing the lowest of class. I'll never forgot that and it's a huge reason why I sill hate Kane and Keith so much as well.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Just wanted to point out that the reigning Hart trophy winner is a certifiable jerk. He's been accused of a lot of, um, transgressions. Doesn't mean he can't help a hockey team.

Agreed.

Versteeg is always noticeable when you play him, and it's been beat to death our lack of depth on RW.

If ain't good they ain't keeping him there. He is totally disposable.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Is Versteeg better than any of the other players for that RW spot?

At this point the answer is yes. That's the only thing that matter.

IF you want to be mad, mad at the Flames scouting and development system. No prospect stepped up this camp.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Hate versteeg as a person, as I know him personally. Yes, he's a ****** as many others have said. But I could care less as long as he acts professional in the room. This is a steal of a signing for the flames. Versteeg is one of those guys that plays to his environment. With Johnny and monahan he'll be dynamite I'm betting. It also really solidifies our 4 lines:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Versteeg
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Stajan-Chiasson

That's a pretty balanced lineup imo.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If you think a post is breaking the forum rules, use the report button. Don't post about it in the thread, especially if while doing so you are breaking other forum rules. Thread bans and infractions will follow otherwise.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
One good thing I noticed - surprised he's only thirty. One bad thing I noticed - only 20 hits in 77 games last year.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
He has played on a line with Kane at times in the past so he works well with high-end skill guys ---which isn't as easy as it sounds at all.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Seems like a good signing for you guys (even if not everyone is on board :laugh:). Should be able to help with low risk.

Beatle17

Jan 14, 2009
All players act like jerks and sometimes their families are worse.

I grew up with a couple guys who were some of my best friends for 20 years. Both of their kids got to be a good hockey players and the dad's turned into *****, acting like they were great themselves etc. It got to the point where we didn't let the dads play on our senior hockey teams anymore.

After their kids flamed out and never got drafted they basically came crawling back, and because I was the closest friend it was up to me to explain why the other guys couldn't stand them. They both apologized to everyone and it got back to normal eventually but these guys lost a lot of friends for good because of how they acted, which can be brutal in a small community. Both of these kids made the WHL but didn't have the "it" factor to get to the next level.

I have another friend in Calgary whose son played "Elite" hockey and he asked me to watch some games and tell him what I thought. I watched 5-6 games and told him the truth, your kid is a decent hockey player but you should plan on him going to to school. My friend got pissed at me and wouldn't talk to our family for 2 years, until his son got cut from a junior team and quit playing hockey.

It is bred into these kids from the time they are 14 years old that they are special and every one of them act that way. The ones with good parents and grounding seem to come around quicker but some never do. Maybe Versteeg and MM got off on the wrong foot because of how Versteeg acted and the realtionship is damaged. Hopefully he has grown up in his other relationships and can act like a decent person (from the stories told here I don't have much hope for his dad or uncle, haha).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad