Confirmed with Link: Versteeg (Speculation: Method Man quitting the Flames)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Aside from the hearsay stuff, the real red flag on Versteeg is despite decent production, he's never been able to stick with a team for very long. That's definitely a red flag of sorts.

But Burke traded for him while GM'ing in Toronto . . . and then traded him away shortly thereafter. Can't see Treliving going ahead with this if there really was something amiss.

Someone mentioned elsewhere that we have 3 former Hawks RWers on our roster.

Frolik, Brouwer and now Versteeg.

Also, Bollig. Nothing official yet on his status.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Rather run with Versteeg than a revolving door of meatheads on that top line like last year. He's got a good shot, better vision, and draws penalties. Don't really care if he's a premium doucher, he's here to play high level hockey as a #1RW, not be #1 Soprano for the Tabernacle Choir.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Isn't Bollig LW?
Bollig wasn't on the ice for practice, it is assumed he is being sent down and maybe recalled tomorrow to be the 14th forward. There would be no cap space for Versteeg with Bollig on the roster as well.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Aside from the hearsay stuff, the real red flag on Versteeg is despite decent production, he's never been able to stick with a team for very long. That's definitely a red flag of sorts.

But Burke traded for him while GM'ing in Toronto . . . and then traded him away shortly thereafter. Can't see Treliving going ahead with this if there really was something amiss.

Also, Bollig. Nothing official yet on his status.

I worry about [the general bad rap] with Versteeg because outside of Chicago, he hasn't really stuck it out with any other club. Toronto traded him to Philadelphia, and then he was traded to Florida, and finally Carolina traded him to LA last season. It is one thing to have stories about a player being a ****** person, it is another when that same player can't stick it out with a team for more than two or three seasons.

As for my personal anecdotes about Versteeg, it is just general negativity towards other people that is experienced when encountering Versteeg (and family). Like I said earlier, I want to be optimistic and hope that his behavior towards people in Lethbridge isn't the same around his teammates and that by being around some former teammates, maybe things will be okay. I can't help but question his character though when he is as good a player as he is but is constantly on the move.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Bollig wasn't on the ice for practice, it is assumed he is being sent down and maybe recalled tomorrow to be the 14th forward. There would be no cap space for Versteeg with Bollig on the roster as well.

Yeah, that too.

On a side note...

You can spell "Risk" with the same letters as "Kris". ;)

I get MM gets first crack. My submission would be...

Kris "The Risk" Versteeg
Wanted for general defection

Would MM settle for the noun version of the above term?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Worth it for the schadenfreude!!

On the flip side, Tallon, Bowman, and now Burke have all gone for a second go around with the guy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Silver lining: apparently HF Oil is melting down over this.
They dodged a bullet IMO.

I think the fact that both teams offered him a contract has skewed most fans opinions to be honest. I think "stealing" him from Edmonton instantly makes him a good signing for many Flames fans.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Honestly, first reaction aside and all, I don't hate it anymore. It makes our lineup better. The 1st lines is probably better with Versteeg on it than with Ferland, or the revolving door we were likely to see. The 3rd line looks improved with Ferland/Backlund/Frolik. The 4th line gets better by adding Bouma and subtracting Bollig.

It's probably fair to judge a player somewhat based on character, but since him being a poor person or teammate can be neither proven nor disproven, it's probably much more fair to judge him based on what he can do on the ice. Since what he can do on the ice is put up .5 PPG and have decent possession stats, it's a good, low risk signing.

If there some things that go on behind the scenes that Gulutzan or Treliving aren't happy about, I don't suspect he will be around long, but that has yet to be decided, and with Burke knowing the player, I think it's fair to suspect he would've had some input on the signing.

The way I look at it is that we are a better team with him, should some of the speculation prove to be over exaggerated, but if it is true than we aren't on the hook for multiple years, or he could return some value in a trade.

Admittedly my first reaction was probably unfair as it was based purely on hearsay. Now that the initial thoughts have past I think it is a decent move that makes us better.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Well at least his uncle can't brag as much about how much money his nephew makes.

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Well he's hardly ideal but nevertheless a better option for the top line than anyone else we have. Sure would be nice to see some of our home-grown wingers have a real breakthrough season to avoid these patchwork solutions in coming years.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I do not think this is anyone's ideal or first choice. But I am going to take a wait and see approach. I do not think the Flames will tolerate any crap at that salary and will send him packing if any incidences occur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad