Confirmed with Link: Versteeg (Speculation: Method Man quitting the Flames)

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
I just heard the news of this after thinking he'd sign with Edmonton I actually think this could be a really good signing.

I wasn't aware that he was thought of as a dbag by many that have met him (I work with a girl that grew up with him and was a friend of his and had nothing negative to say, but the constant movement of late makes sense if that translates to ego issues within the team) and hockey-wise he's got some nice skill to help out the top 6 and pp.
I still think he could be given bottom 6 minutes and perform well enough to earn what he's being paid.

Could provide synergistic value on the top line or two, or be a 3rd/4th line guy that adds decent skill.

I'm hoping for the former and look forward to the season.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
All players act like jerks and sometimes their families are worse.

I grew up with a couple guys who were some of my best friends for 20 years. Both of their kids got to be a good hockey players and the dad's turned into *****, acting like they were great themselves etc. It got to the point where we didn't let the dads play on our senior hockey teams anymore.

After their kids flamed out and never got drafted they basically came crawling back, and because I was the closest friend it was up to me to explain why the other guys couldn't stand them. They both apologized to everyone and it got back to normal eventually but these guys lost a lot of friends for good because of how they acted, which can be brutal in a small community. Both of these kids made the WHL but didn't have the "it" factor to get to the next level.

I have another friend in Calgary whose son played "Elite" hockey and he asked me to watch some games and tell him what I thought. I watched 5-6 games and told him the truth, your kid is a decent hockey player but you should plan on him going to to school. My friend got pissed at me and wouldn't talk to our family for 2 years, until his son got cut from a junior team and quit playing hockey.

It is bred into these kids from the time they are 14 years old that they are special and every one of them act that way. The ones with good parents and grounding seem to come around quicker but some never do. Maybe Versteeg and MM got off on the wrong foot because of how Versteeg acted and the realtionship is damaged. Hopefully he has grown up in his other relationships and can act like a decent person (from the stories told here I don't have much hope for his dad or uncle, haha).

Yes, it's a pretty tough gig and unfortunately reality never sets in for most parents until it hits them square in the face:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/emily-cornelius/how-hard-is-it-to-make-it_b_5803634.html

But I digress!

Great signing on Versteeg - I liked him here a lot when he played for the Leafs; good wheels, hands and can play up and down the lineup; he will do well with your kids just like Hudler did a couple of years ago for them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know that it's early in the season but how has he been so far? Is he looking like a top 6 guy or more of a 3rd line guy at this point in his career? I thought that he was o.k. with us in preseason but I actually expected more of him in that time given his point totals the previous season.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I know that it's early in the season but how has he been so far? Is he looking like a top 6 guy or more of a 3rd line guy at this point in his career? I thought that he was o.k. with us in preseason but I actually expected more of him in that time given his point totals the previous season.

Decent player but I think it will be hard to evaluate until the flames collectively pick up their game. he had some decent chances in the couple games I saw him play against Oilers.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

He had a good night yesterday. Middle six for sure and he could keep up with Gaureau and Monahan - both with speed and hockey sense.

Problem is the team collectively is a tire fire right now, so it's difficult to judge, but early on it doesn't look like a bad pick up.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's pretty Tony Amonte to me when we signed him. A decent vet, clearly past his prime but still has some game left. Probably won't be here past this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad