Confirmed with Link: Vanek agrees to 1-year deal

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
But it's as low risk as it goes.

We're paying him 2.6 mil for 1 year, if he can put up 40+ it's a steal

2.6mil for a guy that saw a fair amount of press box time and has earned a reputation for his lack of effort isn't as low as it goes, especially considering that it'll force Holland's hand in making a trade or otherwise burying players that should be getting NHL experience. If Vanek is on pace for 40+pts by the deadline, then I hope we ship him out to a contender because he's hardly a long-term solution for this club.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
How about trading forwards?

Realistically, how many forwards do you expect to be traded?

Zetterberg
Larkin
Abdelkader
Nyquist
Tatar
Sheahan
Vanek
Nielsen
Miller
Glendening
Helm
Ott
AA
Jurco
Pulkkinen
Mantha

If I were to bet on the over/under amount of games Mantha plays this year I'd take the under on 20. I'd take the under on 10 for Bertuzzi and the under on 40 for AA.

Holland has never made a trade to free up a roster spot for a young prospect and he hasn't made a every day roster player trade for another roster player since 2001. I like your optimism, but it just isn't very realistic. Also, Mantha is waiver exempt, we both know Holland will use that to the fullest.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
How about trading forwards?

Ok let's be honest here. Holland might not even trade. If he does it likely won't be with 3 forwards. And that's the only way Tyler bertuzzi comes up. And he won't even come up until late in the season (if he does at all). Ott isn't going to teach him anything.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
2.6mil for a guy that saw a fair amount of press box time and has earned a reputation for his lack of effort isn't as low as it goes, especially considering that it'll force Holland's hand in making a trade or otherwise burying players that should be getting NHL experience. If Vanek is on pace for 40+pts by the deadline, then I hope we ship him out to a contender because he's hardly a long-term solution for this club.

Why do you think we gave him a year long contract? To be the face of the franchise?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

We won't shop him unless we're out of the playoffs. That's how holland rolls

Could have traded helm and Quincey for some solid pieces

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Hwy guys relax, Vanek is good. It will be like the Hossa acquisition except this guy will stick around/ be kept around. I think he will score 30 here.
Zetterberg might retire next year, Kronwall is on the out as well. Future will be okay.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hwy guys relax, Vanek is good. It will be like the Hossa acquisition except this guy will stick around/ be kept around. I think he will score 30 here.
Zetterberg might retire next year, Kronwall is on the out as well. Future will be okay.

Zetterberg isn't done for a while. Unless there's a horrific injury

Kronwall might retire. But I doubt it.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I don't get why people think this won't end poorly. Wings have no defenseman to move the puck. 25-30 point season just like Brad Richards coming right up.

It's like putting a band aid on a scraped knee and expecting that to fix the gunshot wound to the head.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Realistically, how many forwards do you expect to be traded?

Zetterberg
Larkin
Abdelkader
Nyquist
Tatar
Sheahan
Vanek
Nielsen
Miller
Glendening
Helm
Ott
AA
Jurco
Pulkkinen
Mantha

If I were to bet on the over/under amount of games Mantha plays this year I'd take the under on 20. I'd take the under on 10 for Bertuzzi and the under on 40 for AA.

Holland has never made a trade to free up a roster spot for a young prospect and he hasn't made a every day roster player trade for another roster player since 2001. I like your optimism, but it just isn't very realistic. Also, Mantha is waiver exempt, we both know Holland will use that to the fullest.

A) Tatar traded
B) Miller waived
C) Bertuzzi never was considered up

Zeta - Larks - Abdelkader
Vanek - Nielsen - Nyquist
Sheahan - Athanasiou - Mantha
Helm - Glendening - Ott
(Jurco, Pulkkinen)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
A) Tatar traded
B) Miller waived

Helm - Glendening - Ott
(Jurco, Pulkkinen)

I don't see us having 14 forwards up here this year. Unless Tatar got traded for shattenkirk or something

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
A) Tatar traded
B) Miller waived

Helm - Glendening - Ott
(Jurco, Pulkkinen)

What will be your opinion when A and B don't happen and AA and Mantha are sent down?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What will be your opinion when A and B don't happen and AA and Mantha are sent down?

I'm probably going to watch more Griffins games.

And of course I'm gonna want Holland get fired because he is destroying those guys like he destroyed Gustav Nyquist as a hockeyplayer.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You people are ridiculous. AA, with or without this signing, and Helm signing is going to be a regular in Detroit. Helm and AA can both be in the lineup at the same time, it isn't a pick and choose situation. No one says Mantha is ready yet, for everyday duty. He played 10 games, had 6 points, but was also -6, so that equates to bringing not much to the table, so far. More time is probably good for him in the AHL. And why do so many think Tyler Bertuzzi should come up, he has had what, one quality AHL season under his belt?

Vanek is a great signing for only one year at only 2.6. If he puts up 40-50 points for 2.6, it is a great bargain. If he is a bust, then he is gone after one year, no strings attached.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You people are ridiculous. AA, with or without this signing, and Helm signing is going to be a regular in Detroit. Helm and AA can both be in the lineup at the same time, it isn't a pick and choose situation. No one says Mantha is ready yet, for everyday duty. He played 10 games, had 6 points, but was also -6, so that equates to bringing not much to the table, so far. More time is probably good for him in the AHL. And why do so many think Tyler Bertuzzi should come up, he has had what, one quality AHL season under his belt?

Vanek is a great signing for only one year at only 2.6. If he puts up 40-50 points for 2.6, it is a great bargain. If he is a bust, then he is gone after one year, no strings attached.

How is AA going to make the team?

Larkin - Z - Abdelkader
Nyquist - Nielsen - Vanek
Helm - Sheahan - Tatar
Ott - Glendening - Miller

Who goes? And please don't say a trade, since that is not likely.

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
Agreed OddBob. The grass is always greener on the other side. Who knows what kind of NHL player Bertuzzi will be. Seems pretty obvious to me that there's no chance of him playing in the NHL this year, regardless of who Holland signed. I mean, ****, if you want to just tank and be the worst team in the league, sure, go ahead, put ALL the youngsters in. Last year of the Joe, first year in new stadium next year, even if Holland wanted to tank, I bet he was told not to by his boss. We have a solid roster and will compete for a playoff spot. Red wings are never going to tank as long as Illitch is alive and for me, I hope he stays alive for a long time

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You guys complain that they aren't tanking, and complain at who they bring in, trying to stay competitive, there is absolutely no pleasing the majority on this board. They tried for Stamkos, and couldn't bring him in, because he wanted to stay in Tampa, nothing they can do about it. The Wings also don't want a rebuild, they have said as much, so they are trying to be as competitive as possible with the loss of our greatest player from the past decade+. No team could replace Datysuk in their lineup.

So with no Stamkos, you overpay in free agency for others, like every other team has ever done, in Free Agency, as has always been the case. You aren't going to convince me that other teams didn't overpay to get Lucic, Okposo, Ladd, Staal, Eriksson and others. That is what Free Agency is all about, many going after one, and all getting more years and money, then they are worth, or would have gotten, otherwise.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You guys complain that they aren't tanking, and complain at who they bring in, trying to stay competitive, there is absolutely no pleasing the majority on this board. They tried for Stamkos, and couldn't bring him in, because he wanted to stay in Tampa, nothing they can do about it. The Wings also don't want a rebuild, they have said as much, so they are trying to be as competitive as possible with the loss of our greatest player from the past decade+. No team could replace Datysuk in their lineup.

So with no Stamkos, you overpay in free agency for others, like every other team has ever done, in Free Agency, as has always been the case. You aren't going to convince me that other teams didn't overpay to get Lucic, Okposo, Ladd, Staal, Eriksson and others. That is what Free Agency is all about, many going after one, and all getting more years and money, then they are worth, or would have gotten, otherwise.

Really was kind of surprised at the Staal and Brouwer contracts. Liked both the terms and figures they both signed for honestly.

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
Heaton- it's called an injury, a player slumping, team slumping. You think that roster is going to play all 82 games? I mean come on, don't you want depth. Nyquist didn't start year on the big team, he played well and made it impossible for them to send him down. AA will get plenty of chances to show where he's at. If He's good enough to stay he'll stay. If he's not, he'll be a call up.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How is AA going to make the team?

Larkin - Z - Abdelkader
Nyquist - Nielsen - Vanek
Helm - Sheahan - Tatar
Ott - Glendening - Miller

Who goes? And please don't say a trade, since that is not likely.

To me, Miller will have to play his but off, to keep an everyday spot with the roster as is, and honestly, Glendening is not completely irreplaceable in the lineup. Also, the inevitable injuries are going to happen, and clearly he would be in before any of Jurco or Pulkkinen.

More than likely I can see at least one of Pulks or Jurco being claimed off waivers in October, if the Wings don't can't move them for value.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
To me, Miller will have to play his but off, to keep an everyday spot with the roster as is, and honestly, Glendening is not completely irreplaceable in the lineup. Also, the inevitable injuries are going to happen, and clearly he would be in before any of Jurco or Pulkkinen.

More than likely I can see at least one of Pulks or Jurco being claimed off waivers in October, if the Wings don't can't move them for value.

I hope you're right, but Holland loves to use his waiver exempt players to the max. I would be really surprised if AA made the team out of camp.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Really was kind of surprised at the Staal and Brouwer contracts. Liked both the terms and figures they both signed for honestly.

Brouwer was good in my opinion, but having seen Staal lately, his production is slipping already at 31, and he looks like he is going the route of Weiss (minus the injury problems) to me. Getting slower and slower and not able to keep up with pace.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Heaton- it's called an injury, a player slumping, team slumping. You think that roster is going to play all 82 games? I mean come on, don't you want depth. Nyquist didn't start year on the big team, he played well and made it impossible for them to send him down. AA will get plenty of chances to show where he's at. If He's good enough to stay he'll stay. If he's not, he'll be a call up.

I mentioned in another thread that I thought AA would play 40 games or less. I still think that's a good bet, but I believe he deserves to be on the team from the beginning, which is why I do not like the Miller, Helm or Ott signing. Those 3 players are blocking the team from AA having a spot that he earned last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad