Confirmed with Link: Vanek agrees to 1-year deal

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Which would screw up our 4th line chemistry.
He is not a bang and crash energy guy or a guy you want playing down in the lineup.

Very much a soft plotter (with hands) at this stage in his career. He needs to be playing on a scoring line and insulated with good skaters who can bring the puck up the ice.

Nyquist - Nielsen - Vanek.... that would be the ideal use of Vanek.
Not sure that would be good for this team though.

Edit- Exactly what Perfect Human said above me.
haha my exact lines except I'd have AA for Jurco. And Larkin at Centre with Zetts on left wing.

Thanks for the Nod, I see Larkin-Z interchangeable in center, and I just posted in the GDT for off season that we could now trade Tatar and mantha/AA and bring up mantha/AA (whoever dosnt get traded)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I like the Frans signing although the term is frightening. At least we won't have him on the books if he retires before his contract is over.

I agree, honestly, I just can't believe Ott and ****ing Helm.

We could've pretty much had Radulov (extra what? 750k?) for that if we offered a second year.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Decent signing. He'll be motivated if he wants to stay in the NHL and get paid, but the D....

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
This is a nice deal for a guy who could bring something. Now we will probably go after Steve Ott........oh....wait

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
the Helm deal is just brutal. Should it be pointed out that Martin signed for less money and term? No?

The Martin deal and the deal that Boedker just signed in San Jose would've made more sense. Helm gets paid almost $4 million to play on the 3rd or 4th line?

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
People expecting a 40-50pt season from Vanek should be prepared to be disappointed. I would otherwise like this signing if a) we didn't already have too many forwards, b) we didn't have the glaring need to fortify the blueline, 5 years running, and c) there was a real probability of Holland flipping him at the TDL for something useful, but Vanek has to resemble something of value in order for that to have any remote possibility, which I'm not counting on.
If Vanek shows up and posts 50pts on a show-me contract, I'll gladly eat crow

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
People expecting a 40-50pt season from Vanek should be prepared to be disappointed. I would otherwise like this signing if a) we didn't already have too many forwards, b) we didn't have the glaring need to fortify the blueline, 5 years running, and c) there was a real probability of Holland flipping him at the TDL for something useful, but Vanek has to resemble something of value in order for that to have any remote possibility, which I'm not counting on.
If Vanek shows up and posts 50pts on a show-me contract, I'll gladly eat crow

But it's as low risk as it goes.

We're paying him 2.6 mil for 1 year, if he can put up 40+ it's a steal

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Mantha probably would have been in Grand Rapids at the start of the season anyway. He was one of Minnesotas best players. Can't be mad

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Have hoped for Vanek ever since and even before Holmström retired.

Best net-front guy ever after Homer.

I tought Vanek would be almost 40 years old, but guy is freaking 32.

Non-risk great signing with 1y 2.6M.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Can he score 30 anymore? Or anywhere near that? I thought he's regressed severely?

He can score 20 for sure. 30 goal days are probably in the rear view mirror. Right handed shot too. He should get lots of PP time. Downside is he's a pretty bad skater. Easily the best signing of the day...due mostly to term and salary. Marchenko is a very close second.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
How Holland just couldn't settle, needed more mediocrity added to the pile. This is such a mish mosh team of washed up. At least the term is right but he still blocks youth for 1 season ala Alfredson.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
How Holland just couldn't settle, needed more mediocrity added to the pile. This is such a mish mosh team of washed up. At least the term is right but he still blocks youth for 1 season ala Alfredson.

Alfredsson led the team in points...

He can block who ever he wants as long as he puts up points.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Vanek will be master for Mantha to tutor him towards a perfect net-front player.

Don't you guys get it. Ott comes to show Bertuzzi how to become a pest of the decade.

Kids will learn from these veterans.

It's not giving the free spot. It's learning together and creating competition at same time. Kid has to push the vet out being better.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Vanek will be master for Mantha to tutor him towards a perfect net-front player.

Don't you guys get it. Ott comes to show Bertuzzi how to become a pest of the decade.

Kids will learn from these veterans.

Is Vanek going to drive to Grand Rapids to teach Mantha? How in the world do we slot Mantha into a roster spot?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How about trading forwards?

Here's Heaton at work waiting for the big trade announcement.

DNsXXq9.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad