Confirmed with Link: Vanek agrees to 1-year deal

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I hope you're right, but Holland loves to use his waiver exempt players to the max. I would be really surprised if AA made the team out of camp.

Yeah, I agree with Holland hanging on too long, to parts that seem to have no value to them, like Pulkkinen, Jurco, Jensen, Sproul and maybe even Ouellet. But some players will get put on waivers, and I honestly can't see Pulks or Jurco clearing waivers.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Hmm. Vanek has been nothing but a disappointment, but at 2.6 mil this isn't bad. I agree with the Franzen comparison. Beautifully soft hands who has problems with his compete level/ consistency. A weird signing but for the price a definite positive over Jurco and Pulkkinen.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yeah, I agree with Holland hanging on too long, to parts that seem to have no value to them, like Pulkkinen, Jurco, Jensen, Sproul and maybe even Ouellet. But some players will get put on waivers, and I honestly can't see Pulks or Jurco clearing waivers.

The problem is that Blashill didn't trust AA last year or seem too impressed with him. That's why I don't have my hopes up for him making the team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I mentioned in another thread that I thought AA would play 40 games or less. I still think that's a good bet, but I believe he deserves to be on the team from the beginning, which is why I do not like the Miller, Helm or Ott signing. Those 3 players are blocking the team from AA having a spot that he earned last year.

I hate the Ott signing as well, never liked him, he seems like a huge idiot to me, plus he takes away a roster spot from our extra guys. He made no sense to me, eventhough he is cheap.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The problem is that Blashill didn't trust AA last year or seem too impressed with him. That's why I don't have my hopes up for him making the team.

Yeah, I thought about this last year too, Blashill seems to have an issue with him, cause even when he was playing awesome, he never got more ice time. Might be a case of AA rubs Blash the wrong way, as coaches always have guys on their teams, they just don't care for, justified or not.

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
id be willing to bet that he'll get every chance this year to prove exactly where he's at development wise. We all know he's fast, we all know he's s highlight waiting to happen. I personally like him a lot and I think he'll be a good player but I don't think Holland is purposely trying to bury him in the AHL, quite the opposite actually. If this doesn't push him to be a better all around player, I don't know what will. The Red wings aren't looking to hand out spots, regardless of how ****** people on here think they're going to be. Holland believes they will compete for a playoff spot and we'll find out if he's right or wrong. it should cost him his job if we don't, IMO. Cause obviously that's what he's going for

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hate the Ott signing as well, never liked him, he seems like a huge idiot to me, plus he takes away a roster spot from our extra guys. He made no sense to me, eventhough he is cheap.

Gritty dude that is loved in all of his dressing rooms, doesn't mind being scratched and is an extremely good face-off guy. Plus on a contract that can be buried if they don't like what they see in training camp. Also Ott has worked out with the Wings for years in the off-seasons, so my guess is this was recommended by several of his future teammates.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I can live with Vanek. His awesome production in Buffalo might be all in the past but there could be a lot of reward here.

Ott, however, appears to have been a non-factor the last 3-4 seasons.

Feel like we missed out big overall in FA.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Gritty dude that is loved in all of his dressing rooms, doesn't mind being scratched and is an extremely good face-off guy. Plus on a contract that can be buried if they don't like what they see in training camp. Also Ott has worked out with the Wings for years in the off-seasons, so my guess is this was recommended by several of his future teammates.

I don't hate the signing for some of the quality elements he brings, he is just one of those guys that bug me. I guess if he can piss other players off, on other teams, than I can deal with it, but still don't care for the guy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Other than term on some contracts, I think Kenny did good today. I would like to see him add one more top 3 or 4 dman.

With Stamkos out of the picture, I think he did the best he could with what was available. I know it won't happen, because of the way the old guard GM's and owners are, but if I was GM of the Wings, I would offer a qualifying offer to any of Lindholm, Trouba, and Barrie. The RFA thing seems pointless to me, cause pretty much no one goes after other teams RFA's. 4 mid to late firsts isn't so bad if you can land a young #1 defenseman, especially with the few quality d-men that are ever available in the salary cap world.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
With Stamkos out of the picture, I think he did the best he could with what was available. I know it won't happen, because of the way the old guard GM's and owners are, but if I was GM of the Wings, I would offer a qualifying offer to any of Lindholm, Trouba, and Barrie. The RFA thing seems pointless to me, cause pretty much no one goes after other teams RFA's. 4 mid to late firsts isn't so bad if you can land a young #1 defenseman, especially with the few quality d-men that are ever available in the salary cap world.

And it will make the NHL more entertaining. And rivals more heated. Could you imagine the shear hate if TML offersheet Larkin? It'd make blood run hot.

vtm26

Oct 28, 2013
Vanek has always scored well in the East. He's still a good player who can make brilliant plays and score 20-30 goals.
Joining the Wild was stupid from the start. He only signed with that franchise because he already lived there in the off-season and considers Minnesota his "home state". He doesn't fit there at all and in those two years incompetent coach Yeo never had a clue how to use him right on the PP.
After the humiliation of being bought out I'm sure he'll come back stronger, wanting to prove himself again.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Honestly the last time I heard anything good about Vanek was around 2011 if I remember right. I think once the seasons starts people are going to be very underwhelmed. At least its only for one season... until the Holland extension.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Honestly the last time I heard anything good about Vanek was around 2011 if I remember right. I think once the seasons starts people are going to be very underwhelmed. At least its only for one season... until the Holland extension.

His 5 million$ contracts were a letdown. We won't be underwhelmed for 2.6. Remember we signed Richards for 3 last OS. Vanek IMO has much more upside than Richards.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I absolutely love this signing. Great deal, at a very low risk. At best, Vanek puts up 25+ goals and turns out to be one of the best signings of the off-season. At worst it doesn't really work out, and he's gone next year. I still think he has some good hockey to play.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Ya but he only signed for 2.6 million. If he only puts up ~35 points, that's still not terrible for 2.6. Had he signed for 5 million and put up ~35 points that would be an issue, but we're only paying him 3rd liner money. It is a gamble for sure, but very low-risk.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I remember Minnesota was somewhat stupid and used him as a shooter on the PP. He is a perfect net-front player and net-fronting has been Red Wings bread and butter for last 20 years. He will be put on 1st PP net-front and score +20 goals easily. He is the best comparable for Holmström's net-front skill-set than any other player from last decade.

Abdelkader will probably get dropped to 2nd unit net-front with Kronwall on the point and that doesn't also sound bad. Great PP depth.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013

I have a feeling Ott will exceed expectations.

Agreed. Nice to see some people warming up to the idea.

At least this team has a shake-up. Adding a couple new faces like Vanek and Nielson might be a great way to form new chemistry, attack on the PP much differently, etc.

As for Vanek, a change of scenery might do him very well. Some players kind of tune out a coach after a while, the Wild had some rough patches these last few years. He could come back and score 25-30 for us.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Why do you think we gave him a year long contract? To be the face of the franchise?

Say he gels and put up +50pts, you think he's going to re-up in the 2.6mil ballpark? If he rediscovers his form from +5yrs ago like some here deceive themselves into hoping, then can we afford to keep him beyond this season? Barring a fabled youth movement, probably not. If Vanek surprises and is a key contributor next season, it's likely window dressing on what's shaping up to be another forgettable season. So what's the use of having him crowd out AA/Mantha/whoever else could benefit from getting the experience or showcase time?

We won't shop him unless we're out of the playoffs. That's how holland rolls

Could have traded helm and Quincey for some solid pieces

I'm not saying I expect Holland to ship him out (even if I expect the team to miss the playoffs); Holland has shown that when it comes to trades he can't organize a piss-up in brewery. I'm saying if the opportunity presents itself then he should flip Vanek as that would probably be the only way to possibly get some worthwhile value out of that contract.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I remember Minnesota was somewhat stupid and used him as a shooter on the PP. He is a perfect net-front player and net-fronting has been Red Wings bread and butter for last 20 years. He will be put on 1st PP net-front and score +20 goals easily. He is the best comparable for Holmström's net-front skill-set than any other player from last decade.

Yeah, no reason to be that pessimistic about it. Getting someone like Vanek for one year is not bad at all. I don't worry about him contributing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Abdelkader will probably get dropped to 2nd unit net-front with Kronwall on the point and that doesn't also sound bad. Great PP depth.

That whole idea is a part of why him going there never made much sense anyway. Parise's role is down in the muck down low on the PP, so they switched Vanek out. Now that isn't to say he cannot do that, but it is better when he is popping out into the slot from down low. He should always anchor your down low play on the PP. Alas in Minny that is the franchise faces job, he wasn't ever getting that role on the first PP unit in Minnesota unless they went 5 on 3 overload.

Vanek will have shared PP time with Nielsen as well should we run two balanced units there is a comfort level to run a second unit. I think Vanek should be the net guy on unit one though and Abby can do it on the second PP unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad