Confirmed with Link: Vanek agrees to 1-year deal

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Vanek has scored 1.74 points/60 in last 2 seasons (+1500min players) at even strength. 2nd best at Minnesota after Parise.

Parise 1.88
Vanek 1.74

Best from Red Wings
Tatar 1.70
Datsyuk 1.65
Nyquist 1.56
Abdelkader 1.48

So looks like he has been struggling mostly on the PP, where his numbers (4.31 points/60) are again 2nd best after Parise, but their PP has very poor overall numbers. Red Wings have 6 players who have better PP points/60 than Vanek from last 2 seasons.

This is very intrigoung, because I've heard a lot from my Finnish friends how Wild PP structure has just totally been wrong for years. At same time I remember Vanek as PP machine from Buffalo. They just somehow used him totally wrong at Minnesota. That poor PP has had negative impact to Vanek's numbers.

So, his ES production looks very good, and I see potential to be back for better PP days, if he is used as a net-front player (like at Buffalo days) instead of a shooter (like Minnesota did).

During his last 4 seasons at Buffalo (2009-13), Vanek was a NHL ~Top10 PP scorer at the level of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. That doesn't even count even his best seasons as 40 and 43 goal scorer. Of course he is not that player anymore, but he could succeed better at Detroit. We did have kind of bad PP at last season, but it isn't anyhow as bad as Minnesota has had recently.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Vanek has scored 1.74 points/60 in last 2 seasons (+1500min players) at even strength. 2nd best at Minnesota after Parise.

Parise 1.88
Vanek 1.74

Best from Red Wings
Tatar 1.70
Datsyuk 1.65
Nyquist 1.56
Abdelkader 1.48

So looks like he has been struggling mostly on the PP, where his numbers (4.31 points/60) are again 2nd best after Parise, but their PP has very poor overall numbers. Red Wings have 6 players who have better PP points/60 than Vanek from last 2 seasons.

This is very intrigoung, because I've heard a lot from my Finnish friends how Wild PP structure has just totally been wrong for years. At same time I remember Vanek as PP machine from Buffalo. They just somehow used him totally wrong at Minnesota. That poor PP has had negative impact to Vanek's numbers.

So, his ES production looks very good, and I see potential to be back for better PP days, if he is used as a net-front player (like at Buffalo days) instead of a shooter (like Minnesota did).

During his last 4 seasons at Buffalo (2009-13), Vanek was a NHL ~Top10 PP scorer at the level of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. That doesn't even count even his best seasons as 40 and 43 goal scorer. Of course he is not that player anymore, but he could succeed better at Detroit. We did have kind of bad PP at last season, but it isn't anyhow as bad as Minnesota has had recently.

You sure about that?

Detroit PP- 18.8%, 266GF
Minnesota PP- 18.5%, 259GF

Not much of a difference. And the year before that, Detroit's PP was an anomaly. And actually Minnesota had a better PP than Detroit in 2013. Your point is moot. He hasn't been great for the past two years and is 32 and no longer in his prime. He hasn't scored 30 goals since 2010-2011 and he hasn't scored 40 goals since 2008-2009.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You sure about that?

Detroit PP- 18.8%, 266GF
Minnesota PP- 18.5%, 259GF

Not much of a difference. And the year before that, Detroit's PP was an anomaly. And actually Minnesota had a better PP than Detroit in 2013. Your point is moot. He hasn't been great for the past two years and is 32 and no longer in his prime. He hasn't scored 30 goals since 2010-2011 and he hasn't scored 40 goals since 2008-2009.

Go to check individuals points/60. Dats and Zetterberg have been almost 1.5 timer more effective than Minnesotas 1st unit guys. Some maybe their second units counter the difference in team percentages.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I honestly didn't watch a lot of Vanek last year, but from Minnesota fans I've met here, they really don't care he's gone. It wasn't really working out the way they hoped the homecoming would.

He's young enough he could rebound with the Wings, but let's not count on more than 40 points.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I honestly didn't watch a lot of Vanek last year, but from Minnesota fans I've met here, they really don't care he's gone. It wasn't really working out the way they hoped the homecoming would.

He's young enough he could rebound with the Wings, but let's not count on more than 40 points.

I think this is where corsi #'s get people in trouble. I remember an article last year where someone digged really deep to show how great of a defenseman that Brendan Smith was, yet he could barely get on the ice. Through two coaches and the same management we've seen the same opinion of him and he hasn't ever had a chance or really shown his ability from college or the AHL.

Same thing with Vanek. I'm sure he'll be fine, but the corsi #'s shown here are pumping up expectations a bit too much for a guy that hasn't been the same since 2011.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think that was an effort/attitude thing, because his production was fine.

Probably replaces Franzen in more ways than one in the top 6.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
They save 5 million in cap space by buying him out. We all know he isn't worth that

He might not even be worth 2.6 but I understand the low risk gamble

To call him one of the Wild's best players recently is staggeringly wrong, though

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
With Vanek it is mostly an effort and consistency issue. If he brings his game, which he did for the first 2-3 months last season, he is still a very good player and a bargain at what the wings are paying him. However for whatever reason he fell off the earth sometime during december and never recovered his form. Problem is when it's not going well for him he really looks and plays like a lazy floater and not a hard working guy at all. This is were all the animosity is coming from and it is understandable from a fan perspective. It is just too easy to brand him a scapegoat due to his lazy playing style and lumbering skating.

He absolutely has the talent to hit 60 points again in this league, no question. Does he have the head and heart for it too? Gonna have to wait and see. The right coach, the right system and a season without nagging injuries could very well get him to play like he did in the past. But that's still a lot of "ifs".

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
With Vanek it is mostly an effort and consistency issue. If he brings his game, which he did for the first 2-3 months last season, he is still a very good player and a bargain at what the wings are paying him. However for whatever reason he fell off the earth sometime during december and never recovered his form. Problem is when it's not going well for him he really looks and plays like a lazy floater and not a hard working guy at all. This is were all the animosity is coming from and it is understandable from a fan perspective. It is just too easy to brand him a scapegoat due to his lazy playing style and lumbering skating.

He absolutely has the talent to hit 60 points again in this league, no question. Does he have the head and heart for it too? Gonna have to wait and see. The right coach, the right system and a season without nagging injuries could very well get him to play like he did in the past. But that's still a lot of "ifs".

I'm willing to take the risk, especially on a short term like this. Cool avatar, by the way. Eddie rules.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Sounds a lot like our very own Franzen. Probably a replacement for him, in the eyes of Holland. Good size, net front guy, goal scorer.

Interesting though that Vanek actually did have 40 goal and 80 pt seasons, but is now being seen as a floater. Never thought he was a floater when he played for Buffalo. Franzen is a guy I always thought had the talent to produce more, but never was able to.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Sounds a lot like our very own Franzen. Probably a replacement for him, in the eyes of Holland. Good size, net front guy, goal scorer.

Interesting though that Vanek actually did have 40 goal and 80 pt seasons, but is now being seen as a floater. Never thought he was a floater when he played for Buffalo. Franzen is a guy I always thought had the talent to produce more, but never was able to.

He will be fine playing with top six linemates of equivalent skill , assuming you leave him on a line long enough to develop chemistry.(not something Minn did) Look for 25-30 60 pts on your team playing with your skill guys and more if he clicks on your pp. Eight feet out for deflections and touch passes, not as a screen . I thought he looked good on the half wall as a shooter, playmaker too. Remember , the last two teams he played with were not known for having a plethora of skilled wingers or centers. I wish him luck.

Last edited:

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
Finally Vanek plays for my favorite team and my favorite sports city.

I'm a Detroit Lions fan since I was born (Tim Allens TV show made me curious about the NFL early) and I also loved Lidström.

So what can you expect from Vanek? If he is healthy, then he could become a 60 pt guy again. Play him with some skilled linemates and he will produce.

I think Vanek pretty much knows that this is kind of a "do or die" last chance in the nhl for him. If he produces he could get another decent contract with a serious contender next year. If he fails again I'm not sure if there is another team out there who's gonna pay him being a lazy floater aged 33.

At least Vaneks gonna play Playoffs next years. Red Wings Playoff streak still is impressive. And in Playoffs anything is possible.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Was talking with a friend of mine who is a big Wild fan. He told me an interesting anecdote. He said Torchetti did not like Vanek and was responsible for him getting very few minutes. He said there was a lot of animosity between the 2. Guess who will be re-united in Detroit

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Was talking with a friend of mine who is a big Wild fan. He told me an interesting anecdote. He said Torchetti did not like Vanek and was responsible for him getting very few minutes. He said there was a lot of animosity between the 2. Guess who will be re-united in Detroit

Didn't seem to bother Vanek enough. I would think if it were a big problem he wouldn't have signed here.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I'm quite sure Vanek won't sign here, if there's some big problems with a coach.

Could imagine the exact opposite.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Finally Vanek plays for my favorite team and my favorite sports city.

I'm a Detroit Lions fan since I was born (Tim Allens TV show made me curious about the NFL early) and I also loved Lidström.

So what can you expect from Vanek? If he is healthy, then he could become a 60 pt guy again. Play him with some skilled linemates and he will produce.

I think Vanek pretty much knows that this is kind of a "do or die" last chance in the nhl for him. If he produces he could get another decent contract with a serious contender next year. If he fails again I'm not sure if there is another team out there who's gonna pay him being a lazy floater aged 33.

At least Vaneks gonna play Playoffs next years. Red Wings Playoff streak still is impressive. And in Playoffs anything is possible.

Just curious as to what city in Austria you live in. My grandmother was born in Graz & my grandfather in Jennersdorf. I have been to the arena to see the Vienna Capitols play. Nothing like the tympani drums in the US

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I'm quite sure Vanek won't sign here, if there's some big problems with a coach.

Could imagine the exact opposite.

Probably right. And I also imagine Wings would have consulted Torchetti on Vanek too.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He might not even be worth 2.6 but I understand the low risk gamble

To call him one of the Wild's best players recently is staggeringly wrong, though

I'm not even gonna use the advanced stats. If he played a couple more games he would be #3 in production among forwards. Probably playing 2nd line time

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013

True , He benched him so he would not have a chance at twenty + goals nine/10? years in a row. Hell of a coach. His positive statement sounds like after the fact damage control .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Easy estimation:

80games,
3min PP time per game, 5.00 points/60 = 20 PP points
12min ES time per game, 1.50 points/60 = 24 ES points

80 games, 44-point season coming.

Estimated a little bit better PP numbers and regressed ES numbers than his last 2 seasons averages are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad