Confirmed with Link: Vanek agrees to 1-year deal

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
This is good because it's only 1 year. If he sucks, he won't be getting a lot of money, so he should be motivated.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
>>this smells like a precursor to a quantity for quality package trade for a D-Man...OR, Kenny has completely lost it & think's its 2003.

what else could this be?

decent Top 9, but no elite #1C nor #1 L/R wing

Z
Nielsen
Larkin
Nyquist
Tatar
Abby
Sheahan
Vanek
Helm
--------
Glen
Miller
>>>>> AA ? Mantha ?
-------
Jurco
Pulkkinen
------------------------------
Bertuzzi ? out of options?
Frk? out of options?

I feel like maybe AA/Mantha + Jurco/Pulk + Frk/Bert & Smith/XO + pick will be moved, just way too many bodies up front otherwise. I'd like to see what XO can do, but we know Big E is untradeable & Kronwall may bounce back to be a #3 after fully healing...so we'll have THREE, number #3 defensemen (DD, Green & Kronner) & FOUR #5/6's (Marchy, XO, Big E & Smith)

AA needs to be up. He added too much of a spark. I'm sure there will be in a injury at every given time though. I REALLY wanted Mantha up. He looked really good in his stint up, and greatly improved the PP regardless of Blashill's stupid comments.

Vanek and Mantha play the same role, and the same spot on the PP.

Can he score 30 anymore? Or anywhere near that? I thought he's regressed severely?

Detroit had 2 20 goal scorers last season - both under 25 goals. One 50 point player that played 20min a night. Don't expect big numbers out of the offense and PP that Blash was running.

Enjoy grand Rapids Mr Athanasiou and Mantha

Bertuzzi isn't close to out of options, he just started in the AHL last year, right?

Tyler Bertuzzi can stay in Grand Rapids for like two more years as he should without waivers. He was scratched at times, and really struggled with the long schedule. His playoff game is the next level though. Move him up to the top six full-time next year and let him continue to develop. He's a fun watch as he can come up to a fourth line role to start unlike guys like Anthony Mantha.

Bertuzzi has lots of developing to do.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Can he score 30 anymore? Or anywhere near that? I thought he's regressed severely?

Probably not. 20 goals and 50 points is around what you can expect if all goes well. I actually think he slots in really nicely with our new guy Nielsen, but we'll see.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Meh. At least it's only one year. Not sure he'll be the best influence on a guy like Tats, if he's still here, but whatever. My fear is that it pushes AA/Mantha out.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
1 yr insurance forward - kids will really need to show up or get their playing time in GRG

There's no showing up. There isn't a single top 9 contract, right now, that will be displaced. At best, there's a 4th line grinder spot. Mantha and AA should both be demanding a trade.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I wouldn't worry to much about this as they will probably trade Mantha soon all the writing is on the wall.

It will be a huge mistake but Holland is determined never to let the young players play and win or lose with them.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Probably not. 20 goals and 50 points is around what you can expect if all goes well. I actually think he slots in really nicely with our new guy Nielsen, but we'll see.

Didn't they play together on the Isle?

Hoping they mesh well on the pp.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
This organization is a joke.

This signing would be tolerable if it was the only one and Holland traded Vanek at the TDL, but that isn't going to happen.

Washed up veteran #343 loved what Holland had to say...shocker.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
There's no showing up. There isn't a single top 9 contract, right now, that will be displaced. At best, there's a 4th line grinder spot. Mantha and AA should both be demanding a trade.

Helmer moves to the 4th, Miller goes to GRG, or someone gets traded - If someone plays that well like Larkin did last year, they would/should make room for them

Aug 6, 2012
Fine.

Now we can trade Tatar for a defenceman. We have extra forwards as a luxury.[/positive thinking]

But ...

... let's WHNE WHINE WHNE WHNE

HOLLAND IS SO BAAAAAAAADDDDD and killing our prspects!!![/HF Boards cry-baby thinking]

Its a lot more delusional to believe that Ken Holland is going to make a trade involving a roster player (let alone one that he has drafted and developed) than to be pissed at the mediocre direction this team continues to tread.

Hope I'm wrong tho.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I bet Vanek doesn't even get 20 goals.

Just two players did last year. He could, but Blash would have to change his ****.

Didn't they play together on the Isle?

Hoping they mesh well on the pp.

Think he played with John Tavares that season, and then Patches in Minnesota. He was impressive everywhere he was though he had a disappointing run with Montreal.

I'm betting he doesn't even get 15 and by December he's on the 4th line with Glendenning and Miller.

I agree he goes through stretches of poor play and gets fourth line duties. Also, Blash likes to change his lines 10 times each game so he will regardless.

Helmer moves to the 4th, Miller goes to GRG, or someone gets traded - If someone plays that well like Larkin did last year, they would/should make room for them

Drew Miller will play on the fourth line with the Detroit Red Wings and get big PK minutes. Acceept it. Hell, I have no problem with it. He deserves those minutes. Drew Miller does great in his role. The same can't be said for our puck movers, and are supposed scorers.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm starting to suspect this means Mantha might be trade bait. Tatar+Mantha+??? for a defenseman.

I've always had the feeling that Holland is kind of souring on Mantha, I could be totally wrong but i just get the impression that he's not really been all that happy with him. A deal with Tatar+Mantha should gt us something around either Fowler or Shattenkirk or sweeten it some more and try and get Trouba out of Winnipeg.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I'm betting he doesn't even get 15 and by December he's on the 4th line with Glendenning and Miller.

Which would screw up our 4th line chemistry.
He is not a bang and crash energy guy or a guy you want playing down in the lineup.

Very much a soft plotter (with hands) at this stage in his career. He needs to be playing on a scoring line and insulated with good skaters who can bring the puck up the ice.

Nyquist - Nielsen - Vanek.... that would be the ideal use of Vanek.
Not sure that would be good for this team though.

Edit- Exactly what Perfect Human said above me.
haha my exact lines except I'd have AA for Jurco. And Larkin at Centre with Zetts on left wing.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Drew Miller will play on the fourth line with the Detroit Red Wings and get big PK minutes. Acceept it. Hell, I have no problem with it. He deserves those minutes. Drew Miller does great in his role. The same can't be said for our puck movers, and are supposed scorers.

I like Miller, but I was giving 3 options as to how "a kid" might make the top 9. Miller has been great but we'll see come pre-season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad