Speculation: Vancouver - Pittsburgh

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
If I´m Vancouver I ask myself: Makes Guentzel us the top team in the league? Does he give us the best shot at winning the cup this season?

The clear answer should be yes!

I know the Pens are asking for the world for Guentzel but you have to consider that the chance of winning the cup and being able to get a player like Guentzel for a run will probably never be higher than this year. Who cares about picks and prospects when you have the chance to win a cup? Nobody but HF ;)

Reactions: DekeyPete

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
After watching the game last night, I would do:

Mikheyev+Lekkerimaki+1st
or
Hogland+Lekkerimaki+2nd

for

Guentzel @ 50%
A prospect/young player that's not Yager, Pickering, or Puustinen. Something like Zam Plante.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Can see these two teams matching up and making eachother better:

To Vancouver: Guentzel, 2024 4th round pick

To Pittsburgh: Mikheyev, Raty, Klimovich, 2025 3rd, 2024 6th, 2025 6th

Smith, Pickering, 3rd for Elias Pettersson and a 4th.

Reactions: BillPrep

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
There is literally no chance in hell Willander is getting moved for Guentzel.

And the way I see it, our management probably views Lekkerimaki as an untouchable considering the in depth plan they have for him that they’ve openly discussed.

The prospects/players that will be in play are likely Podkolzin, Raty, D-Petey, Hoglander, Karlsson, McWard, and obviously the 2025 draft picks.

Also keep in mind, Canucks turned down trades from Carolina, NYR, Kings, and Calgary that included Hoglander. A lot of teams like him, he won’t just be an add in.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is literally no chance in hell Willander is getting moved for Guentzel.

And the way I see it, our management probably views Lekkerimaki as an untouchable considering the in depth plan they have for him that they’ve openly discussed.

The prospects/players that will be in play are likely Podkolzin, Raty, D-Petey, Hoglander, Karlsson, McWard, and obviously the 2025 draft picks.

Also keep in mind, Canucks turned down trades from Carolina, NYR, Kings, and Calgary that included Hoglander. A lot of teams like him, he won’t just be an add in.

Then you’re not getting Guentzel. Easy enough.

Again, for like the millionth time, why do Canucks fans think they can get Guentzel for less than what they got for Horvat?

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Again, why do Canucks fans in here think they’re going to get Guentzel for less than what they got for Horvat a year ago?
What are you even talking about?

We got a 1st round pick, a cap dump, and a B level prospect.

The rumoured asking price for Guentzel is a 1st round pick, a young player (in this instance a 23 year old 20 goal scorer and high energy forward), and a prospect or multiple picks (2nds and 3rds)

at this point you sound like a broken record.

Hoglander is worth a 1st round pick alone right now. There literally isn’t a single $1.1M player signed THROUGH next season that has nearly 20 even strength goals and is 23 years old.

Reactions: JKG33

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here’s the thing Canucks fans seem to not understand: there is astronomical levels of interest in Guentzel around the league. Even if you think Guentzel isn’t pulling off a prospect on par with Lekkerimaki, why would the Penguins settle on the Canucks offers when:

1. They have no 2024 1st or 2nd
2. The prospects they have are not more appealing than what the other 10 teams who want Guentzel would pay

Even if the Penguins can’t get an asset like Lekkerimaki for a rental Guentzel, there are teams who have their 2024 picks or better good prospects that can be sent in place of 2024 picks. So why would the Penguins ever agree to trading Guentzel for 2025 picks, struggling former high picks or meh prospects?

Vancouver shouldn’t trade Lekkerimaki for a rental, but the only way that Vancouver has an offer that actually contends with other teams for Guentzel is if they offer Lekkerimaki. They used up 2 major trade chips to get Guentzel in the Lindholm deal.

What are you even talking about?

We got a 1st round pick, a cap dump, and a B level prospect.

The rumoured asking price for Guentzel is a 1st round pick, a young player (in this instance a 23 year old 20 goal scorer and high energy forward), and a B+ prospect or multiple picks (2nds and 3rds)

at this point you sound like a broken record.

“A 1st round pick”, as in a current year 17th overall. What assets are you offering that match that in value?

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Here’s the thing Canucks fans seem to not understand: there is astronomical levels of interest in Guentzel around the league. Even if you think Guentzel isn’t pulling off a prospect on par with Lekkerimaki, why would the Penguins settle on the Canucks offers when:

1. They have no 2024 1st or 2nd
2. The prospects they have are not more appealing than what the other 10 teams who want Guentzel would pay

Even if the Penguins can’t get an asset like Lekkerimaki for a rental Guentzel, there are teams who have their 2024 picks or better good prospects that can be sent in place of 2024 picks. So why would the Penguins ever agree to trading Guentzel for 2025 picks, struggling former high picks or meh prospects?

Vancouver shouldn’t trade Lekkerimaki for a rental, but the only way that Vancouver has an offer that actually contends with other teams for Guentzel is if they offer Lekkerimaki. They used up 2 major trade chips to get Guentzel in the Lindholm deal.

“A 1st round pick”, as in a current year 17th overall. What assets are you offering that match that in value?
Hoglander is worth a 1st round pick on his own. And we would be giving you another 1st round pick. Like what?

You also forget there’s only a handful of teams that are interested in actuallt trading for Guentzel, and they aren’t exactly gifted with earth shattering assets either.

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
If the Canucks want a finisher, we are going to have to pay. Lekkerimaki, Raty, EP2, 2025 1st, 2025 6th, 2026 4th for guentzel at %50 with an extension in place and pickering .

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
I think people are really underestimating the value Lekkerimaki, or Willander could add to this team. Consider Hoglander: Makes 1 million, is 15th in 5v5 goals/60, and is signed for next year. He's not Guentzel, but the value is closer than people think if you think of it as 29 y.o. Guentzal extended for 8x6 or something vs 23 y.o Hoglander signed for 1 x 2 + 2 years RFA control + 7 million in cap space by not signing Guentzal.

Lekkerimaki and Willander have the potential, not saying it's 100%, to provide incredible value during this team's 3-4 year window. Each year this core is going to get more expensive, and with the OEL buyout becoming 4 mill/year in 2025 and 2026, the Canucks NEED cheap talent if they want to stay competitive.

Personally, I'd rather move picks than our further along guys and I don't think the Pens want picks.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
A next year 1st rounder for a team currently 1st in the NHL does not equal a current year 1st rounder from a fringe playoff team.
again, teams interested in Guentzel are trading a late 1st round pick. There’s a better chance of our 25 1st being a higher pick.

The value of a late 1st round pick across 2 seasons is virtually the same.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
All of these people saying that there is no chance Rutherford won’t do something out of their realm and reality itself is due for a rude awakening. Just saying (don’t kill the messenger).

Reactions: BillPrep and Turin

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd rather try to bend Holland over a barrel. Holloway + a 1st and a 2nd.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
again, teams interested in Guentzel are trading a late 1st round pick. There’s a better chance of our 25 1st being a higher pick.

The value of a late 1st round pick across 2 seasons is virtually the same.

Why don't teams trade current year 1sts for next year 1sts then?

The Penguins will absolutely pick an offer with a 2024 1st over a 2025 1st. The Canucks need to actually differentiate their offer from others for the Penguins to take their offer, and most Canucks fans seem unwilling to pay that.

The minimum Canucks return I could see is Hoglander, Raty, a 2025 1st and a 2025 2nd for Guentzel. But even then, I think another team probably beats that with offering 2024 picks instead.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Canucks insider Rick Dhaliwhal mentioned today that the Canucks are still in the Jake Guentzel sweepstakes. I didn't think the Canucks would be active going after another big fish after acquiring Elias Lindholm but apparently not.

I have a proposal

To Vancouver- Jake Guentzel

To Pittsburgh- Ilya Mikheyev, Nils Hoglander, 25 1st rounder

Pens fans, what do you think?

that's an overpay from the canucks not only in futures but right now. hoglander is a cost controlled high energy scoring threat every game and is just emerging from being a 10 minute a game player into a top 6 role. mikhaeyev is a decent middle six player who still has something to prove.

kind of reminds me of the peca/mogilny trade which was a move too far by pat quinn and fatal to that version of the canucks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
LA has no cap and no real need for more wingers (or forwards). If they add it'd be first and foremost a goalie, and maybe a LD.

I also doubt Vegas gives up a "haul" for a rental

I'm pretty damn confident they'd pay a ton for another chance at a cup run, especially with Guentzel's terrific playoff track record.

I'd be pretty confident that they'd do Brisson, Dorofeyev and a 2024 1st for Guentzel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad