Speculation: Vancouver - Pittsburgh

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
You're casually not mentioning that the picks aren't this year and the "former 10th overall prospect" is turning 23 in a few months and looks like a dud.

Just say you don't want Guentzel instead of trying to polish a turd and convince Penguins fans it's not a turd. That offer isn't even as good as what Vancouver got for Horvat last year.
You know I'm ok with Lekkerimakki going the other way and optics would have him more valuable than Podz but not only is he not a dud, he's a stud. He's finally getting proper playing time in the proper role for literally the 1st time SKA didn't, do him any favours and once here dido. He's the hill I will die on he's offered glimpses this year of the force he's going to be, like most power forwards they can't be rushed.

Reactions: gianni

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
Honest question: do you seriously think the Penguins would accept this?

I keep using this comparison because it's the same team. This is less than what Vancouver got for Horvat a year ago and Guentzel is a better player than Horvat.
No, I think they'll hold onto him asking for the moon and watch him walk away for nothing.

I hope they'll accept a deal to restock the cupboards.

As for a player comparison, Horvat is a center. Apples to oranges. Kane / Giroux etc would be a better recent comparable, though Guentzel is worth more than either imo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No, I think they'll hold onto him asking for the moon and watch him walk away for nothing.

I hope they'll accept a deal to restock the cupboards.

As for a player comparison, Horvat is a center. Apples to oranges. Kane / Giroux etc would be a better recent comparable, though Guentzel is worth more than either imo

They will assuredly get better than that crappy offer for Guentzel if they decide to move him. Why would they take that offer?

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Yeah that's entirely true that they may not be as good next year as this year. Doesn't change the fact that no team is going to value a 2025 1st over a 2024 1st for a team that isn't obviously on the decline.
Fair enough but I don't think that's inconsequential. It's only a year ahead and we've seen many deals that often include next year's. It's not that big of a deal and I'm sure if the other piece was say Lekkerimakki it would be fine.

I nailed the Lindholm trade so here's what I think happens and happens soon

Mikheyev, Lekkerimakki 2025 1st no protection, plus one other smaller +
For Jake 50% retained extended as well

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fair enough but I don't think that's inconsequential. It's only a year ahead and we've seen many deals that often include next year's. It's not that big of a deal and I'm sure if the other piece was say Lekkerimakki it would be fine.

I nailed the Lindholm trade so here's what I think happens and happens soon

Mikheyev, Lekkerimakki 2025 1st no protection, plus one other smaller +
For Jake 50% retained extended as well

Yeah I think that deal is completely reasonable, I've posted a few times that Mikheyev, Lekkerimaki and Hoglander for Guentzel with an extension is fair. Swapping Hoglander for a 2025 1st and a minor pick/prospect is completely fine in my eyes.

The tough thing to come up with is a fair value rental trade for Guentzel to Vancouver. Vancouver shouldn't trade Lekkerimaki for a rental, but they don't really have the ammo to get him if they don't trade Lekkerimaki. That's why I think an sign and trade makes by far the most sense: Vancouver can justify giving up Lekkerimaki if Guentzel is signed and the Penguins get a major piece back for Guentzel that they'd want for their rebuild.

I think the Canucks are willing to deal Lekkeramaki for Guentzel but Mikheyev has to be part of the package as well as Guentzel would be re-signed.

I think a sign and trade with the Canucks including Lekkerimaki is by far the most logical thing here.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Lekkerimaki + 2025 1st + cap dump for extended Guentzel.

The guys in Vancouver know first hand what Jake offers. Jake knows them well and if he's willing to agree on an extension the value is there for both teams.

I'm sitting here going, I don't want Vancouver (don't want to see them get even better) to add him, but it's probably between them or Vegas.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Let Vegas, Edmonton, and Vancouver fight over him and let it be known to each club who they are going against.

They will get their best offer knowing that these teams don’t want the other one to get a player of Guentzel’s caliber.

Unless Vancouver trades away one of their big two, I don’t see anything else worthwhile that they have.

Guentzel is more than likely going to go to Vegas for a haul.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mikheyev, 2nd, Lekkerimaki

Guentzel (Signed 8.5M)

Pains me to accept, but I'd do that deal but not a penny more. Dunno if Pens will though.

If the Canucks had a 2024 2nd, I'd probably do that. That's actually super comparable to the Stone trade to Vegas (Lindberg, Brannstrom and a 2nd for extended Stone). Since they don't, that has to be a 2025 1st or a 2025 2nd with another pick/prospect added.

Actually thinking about it more, if you change that 2nd to Raty, I probably make that deal. But I also really like Raty.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Let Vegas, Edmonton, and Vancouver fight over him and let it be known to each club who they are going against.

They will get their best offer knowing that these teams don’t want the other one to get a player of Guentzel’s caliber.

Unless Vancouver trades away one of their big two, I don’t see anything else worthwhile that they have.

Guentzel is more than likely going to go to Vegas for a haul.
Add LA to that list maybe?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think the Canucks are willing to deal Lekkeramaki for Guentzel but Mikheyev has to be part of the package as well as Guentzel would be re-signed.
I feel they’d be more inclined to move Hoglander in a deal for a Guentzel sign
and trade. Despite Hoglander’s great 5-on-5 production and cheap contract for next season,Tocchet continues to refuse to
give him an extended look in a top 6 role and I think for that reason they may be somewhat open to moving him.

Lekkerimaki is also expected to come over to play in Abbotsford once his season in Sweden is done, and he might be a guy they expect to contribute in the NHL in 9 months.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel they’d be more inclined to move Hoglander in a deal for a Guentzel sign
and trade. Despite Hoglander’s great 5-on-5 production and cheap contract for next season,Tocchet continues to refuse to
give him an extended look in a top 6 role and I think for that reason they may be somewhat open to moving him.

Lekkerimaki is also expected to come over to play in Abbotsford once his season in Sweden is done, and he might be a guy they expect to contribute in the NHL in 9 months.

I don't think Hoglander would be anything more than the secondary piece in a potential Guentzel trade, especially in a Guentzel sign and trade.

After thinking about it, what I'd be shooting for is Mikheyev, Lekkerimaki and Raty for Guentzel with an extension. The Canucks keep all of their future picks plus don't pull much off of the NHL roster, but the Penguins still get a great prospect in Lekkerimaki and a good prospect in Raty. If you consider the #17 pick in 2023 and Lekkerimaki to basically be a wash, that deal ends up being Horvat and Mikheyev for Guentzel and Beauvillier.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Hoglander would be anything more than the secondary piece in a potential Guentzel trade, especially in a Guentzel sign and trade.

After thinking about it, what I'd be shooting for is Mikheyev, Lekkerimaki and Raty for Guentzel with an extension. The Canucks keep all of their future picks plus don't pull much off of the NHL roster, but the Penguins still get a great prospect in Lekkerimaki and a good prospect in Raty. If you consider the #17 pick in 2023 and Lekkerimaki to basically be a wash, that deal ends up being Horvat and Mikheyev for Guentzel and Beauvillier.
I could probably stomach that depending on what sort of contract Guentzel would sign.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tact

Jul 9, 2006

Would suck giving up Lekkermakki - but I accept that deal.

What’s the terms on Guentzel extension?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Depending on the contract Guentzel wants, I'd do this. I would also do swap Raty out for our 2025 first. Whichever Pittsburgh prefers.

Much as I like Lekkerimaki and his potential. We're in a win now mode and really can't afford to wait on too many prospects. How many years does Miller have as a possible 100 player? Guentzel fits our timeline perfectly and very likely slot in Tocchet's system without a second thought.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’d probably do that if I’m Pitt if I can get rid of Smith/am also relatively confident in Mikhayevs health going forward

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
And you’d be wrong. No other team would value a future pick more than a current year pick because “things could be worse for them next year”, unless they’re clearly on the downswing. For a team full of prime aged players, there's no team that would buy that with the Canucks.

The Penguins or Capitals? That's one thing. But the Canucks absolutely do not fall in that category.
This is a bad take. You want a late pick in a meh draft that likely isn’t going to end up being a player, over a chance that a team that is half full of UfAs and has been bad every year except this one with a historic PDO and its best forward unsigned… it could be a top 5 pick in a better draft. This tells me you never have to measure value propositions in real life.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
doable if we are able to sign him. if not. dhailwal has said that they are not interested in another rental. if the guy is a rental and they agree on a contract its all good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad