Speculation: Vancouver - Pittsburgh

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Canucks insider Rick Dhaliwhal mentioned today that the Canucks are still in the Jake Guentzel sweepstakes. I didn't think the Canucks would be active going after another big fish after acquiring Elias Lindholm but apparently not.

I have a proposal

To Vancouver- Jake Guentzel

To Pittsburgh- Ilya Mikheyev, Nils Hoglander, 25 1st rounder

Pens fans, what do you think?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With Vancouver trading their 2024 1st, the only way Vancouver is getting Guentzel is if they include Lekkerimaki. And I don't expect them to do that for a rental.

Well actually, let me back up a bit. If Dubas is really high on Hoglander and views him as valuable as a 2024 1st, I could see Hoglander and a 2025 1st getting serious interest from him. I would just hope he didn't do that.

Reactions: domaug

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This was the link where Dhaliwhal talked about it. He mentioned the Canucks don't have a 1st to give up, so "maybe it would be a 2nd", but they're not contending in offers for Guentzel if they're only doing a 2nd.

I don't know the Canucks cap situation, but I think a sign and trade with Guentzel makes more sense than a rental Guentzel trade. If Guentzel is coming with an extension, I bet the Canucks would be more willing to include Lekkerimaki, who is probably the #1 target the Penguins would have. Something like Mikheyev, Hoglander and Lekkerimaki for Guentzel with an extension (with retention on Pittsburgh's end to make the cap work this year) seems really fair for both sides. With Vancouver trading their 2024 1st for Lindholm, I'm not sure I can come up with a rental Guentzel trade that both sides would be satisfied with.

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
I actually propsed this in the Pens salary cap thread. If Reilly Smith is moved (Vegas come get your boy) and its either Jake walking or this proposal, I take it. Im not as down on Mikheyev as most other Pens fans. I think he would be a better fit in the middle 6 over Smith as hes a little younger and faster, and getting Hoglander helps make sure the hole isnt as deep losing Jake. Making this deal is just about even money wise, saving Pittsburgh a retention spot should they need it to move other players (Rakell, Smith, Graves)

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I am not sure if Pittsburgh would make the trade without the deal involving one of Lekks or Willander, but I am quite confident in saying that neither of those prospects would be included in the deal. Both players are Vancouvers GM Patrick Allvin's selections and he has said before that he is not looking to trade them.

Pittsburgh is apparently looking to add one or two younger players who can Play on their roster. Hoglander just seemed like an obvious answer.

What about Podkolzin?

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Canucks insider Rick Dhaliwhal mentioned today that the Canucks are still in the Jake Guentzel sweepstakes. I didn't think the Canucks would be active going after another big fish after acquiring Elias Lindholm but apparently not.

I have a proposal

If the pens are taking on what, 3 years of a 4 mil plus cap hit for a guy who is a 40pt scorer the. That Hoglander best be upgraded to Lekkerimaki.

Reactions: BillPrep and domaug

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am not sure if Pittsburgh would make the trade without the deal involving one of Lekks or Willander, but I am quite confident in saying that neither of those prospects would be included in the deal. Both players are Vancouvers GM Patrick Allvin's selections and he has said before that he is not looking to trade them.

Pittsburgh is apparently looking to add one or two younger players who can Play on their roster. Hoglander just seemed like an obvious answer.

What about Podkolzin?

I understand why Vancouver wouldn't trade either of those guys for a rental Guentzel. But without a 1st this year, Vancouver can't make a compelling offer to trade Guentzel there over somewhere else. Since Vancouver doesn't have a 2024 1st, Lekkerimaki is the guy the Penguins would want as a headliner in a Guentzel trade.

Guentzel as a sign-and-trade with Lekkerimaki includes seems to be the most fair way to satisfy both sides. But for a rental Guentzel, it's either Vancouver does something they don't want to do (and frankly probably shouldn't do) by trading Lekkerimaki or they just don't get Guentzel.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I actually propsed this in the Pens salary cap thread. If Reilly Smith is moved (Vegas come get your boy) and its either Jake walking or this proposal, I take it. Im not as down on Mikheyev as most other Pens fans. I think he would be a better fit in the middle 6 over Smith as hes a little younger and faster, and getting Hoglander helps make sure the hole isnt as deep losing Jake. Making this deal is just about even money wise, saving Pittsburgh a retention spot should they need it to move other players (Rakell, Smith, Graves)
No, you can keep Smith.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They have the assets to do it. There's a pretty wide range of combinations they could do as well. Question is, do they?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Can see these two teams matching up and making eachother better:

To Vancouver: Guentzel, 2024 4th round pick

To Pittsburgh: Mikheyev, Raty, Klimovich, 2025 3rd, 2024 6th, 2025 6th

Jeez, buy the Pens a drink first. Does Klimovich have a much more talented brother that I don't know about?

Reactions: BillPrep and domaug

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can see these two teams matching up and making eachother better:

To Vancouver: Guentzel, 2024 4th round pick

To Pittsburgh: Mikheyev, Raty, Klimovich, 2025 3rd, 2024 6th, 2025 6th

Lmfao that's heinous for the Penguins

What makes it even funnier is that the Penguins are giving up both the most valuable player and the most valuable pick in this deal, since their 2024 4th is worth more than the Canucks 2025 3rd.

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021

What about Podkolzin?
No on Pod or Hoglander. The deal starts and ends with one of Lekk/Will. We will be looking for a 1st + high-end prospect + whatever. The bidding has already begun according to what I've heard. We're in for a bit of a bidding war imo.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
No Lekkermaki or Willander, so I guess that fine.

I'd much rather keep Hoglander, but eh.

The only silver lining to moving Hoglander would be that apparently our brain trust isn't targetting rentals. Guentzel getting an extension would be my guess then, if this were to happen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No Lekkermaki or Willander, so I guess that fine.

I'd much rather keep Hoglander, but eh.

The only silver lining to moving Hoglander would be that apparently our brain trust isn't targetting rentals. Guentzel getting an extension would be my guess then, if this were to happen.

You're absolutely not getting Guentzel with an extension without including Lekkerimaki or Willander.

Asking for one of those two for a rental Guentzel is too much, but if Guentzel is coming with an extension, he's absolutely pulling off one of those two.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think if Mikheyev is in the discussion, there's a bit of "payment" from Vancouver for the Penguins to take him. He's not playing well, he's not a offensive driver, and he has a lengthy contract. But there's also value in sending him out for a free agent to be as part of the return is cap space.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

I have a proposal

I can assure you that Pens fans will say the Canucks aren't giving up enough. Mikheyev has hurt his value but he would be a Dubas player so he might see value in buying low on him. But I can bet 99% of people will say that Mikheyev is a dump and the Canucks would have to pay extra to get rid of his contract, let alone acquire Guentzel.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can assure you that Pens fans will say the Canucks aren't giving up enough. Mikheyev has hurt his value but he would be a Dubas player so he might see value in buying low on him. But I can bet 99% of people will say that Mikheyev is a dump and the Canucks would have to pay extra to get rid of his contract, let alone acquire Guentzel.

I don't think many people would really make a big deal out of Mikheyev's inclusion if he's just being included for money reasons. It's one thing for Vancouver to be trying to trade him without taking money back, but just being included as money in a bigger deal, I don't think that's a huge issue.

If Vancouver offers enough value for Penguins fans to be happy to trade Guentzel, I can't imagine anyone will make a big deal out of Mikheyev needing to be included to make the money work.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
But that's true though. Mikheyev does not have good value right now with his current performance and production. The guy on the podcast gave a pretty scathing review of current play. So yeah, for him to be included, I do believe there is a bit of extra payment that has to offset that. Hogs+1st would be just fine by me. I would even take Lekkerimaki instead of the 1st if you guys wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad