ufas the jets to pursue summer 2016

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
There are always great UFA signings available. Devils turned a UFA signing into a 2nd and a 4th

By playing Stempniak on their 1st damned line! Do you think that would have happened here? I really like Stemp: I do. I wanted him signed, and have said so since the day he WASN'T signed. That said, he'd have moved up and down the Jets line-up, and probably ended up fetching a middling pick, as his contribution wouldn't have amounted to anywhere near what he contributed on NJ's horrid F group.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm arguing that FA is a damned crap-shoot, and I'd rather avoid it unless we think that we're SC contenders or there's an obvious money-puck player like MP. That's my position.

My opinion isn't too far off from yours, typically (not always) a FA contract is attempt to solve a strategic hole in your line without giving up any assets. I'm not advocating signing five FA's each year, it should be used to correct holes in your lineup. You can also use FA signings to add draft picks to your D&D program.

But saying FA are crap shoots.....everything is a crap shoot to some degree, any long term contracts, injuries, drafting, FA, trades, etc. Evaluating risk and talent are huge job requirements of all GM's.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
By playing Stempniak on their 1st damned line! Do you think that would have happened here? I really like Stemp: I do. I wanted him signed, and have said so since the day he WASN'T signed. That said, he'd have moved up and down the Jets line-up, and probably ended up fetching a middling pick, as his contribution wouldn't have amounted to anywhere near what he contributed on NJ's horrid F group.

Would Lee of added more to the team's success then Thor? More then Peluso? More then Burmi? More then Matt H?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Would Lee of added more to the team's success then Thor? More then Peluso? More then Burmi? More then Matt H?

Did I not say that I wanted him signed? I did. I did. And I did. ****, I hate Stempniak at this point! :laugh:

He probably would have helped a bit. Would he have changed our end of season results? Most likely. He'd have pushed us from 6th to 7th or 8th at this draft.

I want Thor gone as much as anyone, and have for the last 2 years. You'll get no argument from me. The discussion point here was that Stemp would have garnered a 2nd and 4th while playing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line minutes with the Jets. Never would have happened.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Did I not say that I wanted him signed? I did. I did. And I did. ****, I hate Stempniak at this point! :laugh:

He probably would have helped a bit. Would he have changed our end of season results? Most likely. He'd have pushed us from 6th to 7th or 8th at this draft.

I want Thor gone as much as anyone, and have for the last 2 years. You'll get no argument from me. The discussion point here was that Stemp would have garnered a 2nd and 4th while playing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line minutes with the Jets. Never would have happened.

My point was he would helped us more then any of those other players, he was cheaper then them IIRC and he would of garnered us possibly a 3rd pick. Boosts our D&D program and helps the team overall.

I've avoid virtually all the Lee debates/discussions to date, I used him just as an example. Not interested in any Lee debate. :laugh:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
My point was he would helped us more then any of those other players, he was cheaper then them IIRC and he would of garnered us possibly a 3rd pick. Boosts our D&D program and helps the team overall.

I've avoid virtually all the Lee debates/discussions to date, I used him just as an example. Not interested in any Lee debate. :laugh:

Lee sucks, he's a suitcase that never makes playoffs! And yes I like him. But why no one sign him more than one year? And yes I like him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Are we connsidering Lee Stempniak who was signed by no-one last frenzy as top end talent now? We will never have trouble signing guys like that if we want them. You began all this by wanting more pizzazz than a player who had to take a freaking PTO to continue his career. What am I missing here?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Lee sucks, he's a suitcase that never makes playoffs! And yes I like him. But why no one sign him more than one year? And yes I like him.

Are we connsidering Lee Stempniak who was signed by no-one last frenzy as top end talent now? We will never have trouble signing guys like that if we want them. You began all this by wanting more pizzazz than a player who had to take a freaking PTO to continue his career. What am I missing here?

Who said Lee was "good"? Only said he's better then any of the dead wood I listed on our team.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Who said Lee was "good"? Only said he's better then any of the dead wood I listed on our team.

Your own words, and the best example you have is a PTO who couldn't sign with anyone on July 1. I think we could have signed him if we wanted to.

Wonder if fans of other teams who can't sign FA use the same generality type of comment to make it seem less important.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Where did I say that Stempniak would have gotten us the same return? Just using him as an example of how a team was able to use a UFA signing to help them out significantly while replying to posts that were arguing that there is little to no use to dip into the UFA market :dunno:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
There are always great UFA signings available. Devils turned a UFA signing into a 2nd and a 4th

Where did I say that Stempniak would have gotten us the same return? Just using him as an example of how a team was able to use a UFA signing to help them out significantly while replying to posts that were arguing that there is little to no use to dip into the UFA market :dunno:

There's an implication that Stempniak was a great signing because he returned a 2nd and a 4th for NJ, something that would NOT happen here. The return might have been a 3rd or a 4th, and he would either have resulted in no change in the standings, or a worse finish w/regards to the lottery standings.

And once again: yes, I wish he were here rather than Peluso or Thor.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Your own words, and the best example you have is a PTO who couldn't sign with anyone on July 1. I think we could have signed him if we wanted to.

That's my point....we could and should of.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Should have known this thread would have turned into a Lee Stempniak discussion. This is becoming legendary. :laugh:

Shouldn't be surprising, if you're going to talk about UFA's not signed Lee will be brought up, if you want to talk about Jets poor goaltending history Pavs will be brought up......it would be more shocking if they weren't brought up.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That's my point....we could and should of.

We were talking about top talent UFA who are in demand on July 1. The ones who you said would not sign here. Stempniak was neither in demand nor was he unwilling to sign here. He doesn't fit either description.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
We were talking about top talent UFA who are in demand on July 1. The ones who you said would not sign here. Stempniak was neither in demand nor was he unwilling to sign here. He doesn't fit either description.

We were talking Ufa in general and top talent not ever signing here. If top talent is what you are referring to.....i completely agree Lee is not top talent.....likely why he wanted to stay here partly.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
We were talking Ufa in general and top talent not ever signing here. If top talent is what you are referring to.....i completely agree Lee is not top talent.....likely why he wanted to stay here partly.

That's what I thought this was all about. You seemed to imply my views on UFA were only what they are because nobody will sign here.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
With Connor, Petan, Kosmachuk and Lipon fighting for spots on the team I don't think we should sign anyone.

We should probably drop a vet like Stafford for a pick. Let the kids compete. The Jets were at their best last season when the lineup was at its youngest.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
With Connor, Petan, Kosmachuk and Lipon fighting for spots on the team I don't think we should sign anyone.

We should probably drop a vet like Stafford for a pick. Let the kids compete. The Jets were at their best last season when the lineup was at its youngest.

I'm not debating your comment about signing anyone or not.

But I don't believe we can claim we played our best with all the rookies in our lineup. Imo that's very hard to judge and I highly doubt it.

Reasoning is those were meaningless games for our team and our opponents. Opponents often looked at our games as a night off late in the season. Heck even the smoke machine aka PMO stated they were meaningless and we couldnt/shouldnt judge anything from them.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I love the option Toronto has used lately where they sign UFA's for one season to flip at the deadline. I think for a tanking team who is rebuilding it is brilliant quantity picks strategy. My vote would be for us to not do that this season though. We have Stafford and possibly Perreault to move at the trade deadline if necessary and any rental flip job would be sucking up minutes better allocated to our youth.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I wouldn't sign anyone, I would package up some of our young talent and overpay for someone with 1-2 years left.
Armia, Dano, Petan (though I'd like to kep), Burmi, Chicago's 1st. There's no room for all of them, let's try and upgrade.
Connor + 1st round pick + a good trade, this team will be deadly next year.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
We are not 1-2 UFAs away from winning the Cup. So I would rather just replace the anchors on this team (Stuart, Thorburn, Peluso) with youth and roll with it. When Pavs is gone next off season, then go all in.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One FA who didn't sign here.....means he's been active each of the five years?

Stories came out about strong attempts at a couple of others too. Stastny is the one I remember but there were others that he was in the game on. It was not a large number of players but it seems there are 1 or 2 each year. The thing is that the idea he only tries every second year doesn't hold water. Some years he gets one, some years he does not. Honestly though I will be a bit surprised if there are any this year. Like it or not I think we are committed to the Youth Movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad