ufas the jets to pursue summer 2016

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Maybe a LHD to take Stuart's spot specifically (allowing Morrissey to battle with Chiarot).

Ehlers, Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Connor, Armia, Dano, Burmi, Lowry, Copp, Petan, Stafford (Thorburn, Kosmachuk, Lipon, etc).

If we're developing youth, no point in bringing in a free agent to take a spot unless it's Thorburns on the fourth line or to replace Stafford who we trade for a 2nd round pick, a bag of pucks and a mars bar.

If it"s a youngish FA, (26 or under), i'd be down.

Edit : I forgot Frenchie, so even less spots available.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If we're developing youth, no point in bringing in a free agent to take a spot unless it's Thorburns on the fourth line or to replace Stafford who we trade for a 2nd round pick, a bag of pucks and a mars bar.

Obvious overpay - we might get an Oh Henry back. ;) Being serious, I don't mind Stafford in a scoring role, but he doesn't seem to fit with the direction the Jets are going. He makes it very difficult on those he plays with, as he plays a different "style".

If we brought in a UFA, I'd like to see them go after Ladd for a shorter term contract (3-4 years), but it's likely that someone else will offer him more than that. 5-6M x 3, and I'd go for it. I'd also be happy to see Stemp come back, but ONLY if he were to displace Thorburn. Unlikely that happens.

Add Stemp, remove Thor, and continue down the "youth" path by adding Connor, and giving full-time spots to some of the other prospects who made their debut this year. That's what I'd like to see.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Strongly disagree. If you can move Stafford (return is less important) and upgrade the top 9F via FA or trade (packaging quantity for quality) you go for it. It's time for Chevy to begin thinking proactively. Do nothing and finish in No Man's Land again, Little down to his final year... not a situation you want to be in next summer. If that's where they stand in the 7th offseason the GM has to go. He's had a fair shot, held the position longer than 2/3s of his peers.

Our young guys are ready to make a meaningful difference. I see us improving our top 9 by letting whoever earns it take it. Paying a big name big money might make you feel better about your projected lineup this summer, but it's not necessarily going to get us more wins in the short term and would certainly hurt us in the long term.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Obvious overpay - we might get an Oh Henry back. ;) Being serious, I don't mind Stafford in a scoring role, but he doesn't seem to fit with the direction the Jets are going. He makes it very difficult on those he plays with, as he plays a different "style".

If we brought in a UFA, I'd like to see them go after Ladd for a shorter term contract (3-4 years), but it's likely that someone else will offer him more than that. 5-6M x 3, and I'd go for it. I'd also be happy to see Stemp come back, but ONLY if he were to displace Thorburn. Unlikely that happens.

Add Stemp, remove Thor, and continue down the "youth" path by adding Connor, and giving full-time spots to some of the other prospects who made their debut this year. That's what I'd like to see.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Connor-Burmi-Dano
Copp, Petan, Lowry, Armia, Lemieux

I don't see room for either Stemp or Thor, unless you dump Stafford and another young forward.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

If I'm Stempniak Winnipeg is one of the last places I consider signing after they left him hanging. His production this season will likely warrant enough interest that coming back here isn't an option he needs to consider.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If we want to increase the number of centers on the team, how about Riley Nash?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
For me it would be Darren Helm. Good value, addresses a role we need to improve in, the PK.

I would then trade Burmi to the Wings for Xavier Ouellet. Stuart for a draft pick, or minor league help.

Starting roster:

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Helm
Connor-Petan-Stafford
Lowry-Copp-Armia/Thorburn

Enstrom-Trouba
Chiarot-Buff
Morrissey-Myers

Ouellet, Postma, Thorburn/Armia and Lipon as reserves

There are usually injuries so the extra player is a reflection of that. Morrissey or Connor can be demoted if necessitated or warranted. Lipon i want to keep. We would lose him to waivers, and i think that would be a loss, lots of heart in his game, and was a top PKer for the Moose.

Little and Helm as our top PK unit
followed by Lowry-Wheeler, Copp-Armia/Thor

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Connor-Burmi-Dano
Copp, Petan, Lowry, Armia, Lemieux

I don't see room for either Stemp or Thor, unless you dump Stafford and another young forward.

I don't think we'll go after any UFA's, TBH. If we did, he'd be who I'd target for some help at the bottom of the line-up. In essence, I agree with your thoughts here, but thought I'd chime in on UFA's I'd target if I were so inclined.

I'm actually happy to see them continue down the path of pushing the youth movement. Finish what they started. ;)

If I'm Stempniak Winnipeg is one of the last places I consider signing after they left him hanging. His production this season will likely warrant enough interest that coming back here isn't an option he needs to consider.

Most likely, yes. He'll get a good offer from somewhere, most likely. If he made the comment about the "youth movement" last year, it will probably be doubled-down on next year. I'd think more than twice about considering an offer from the Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For me it would be Darren Helm. Good value, addresses a role we need to improve in, the PK.

I would then trade Burmi to the Wings for Xavier Ouellet. Stuart for a draft pick, or minor league help.

Starting roster:

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Helm
Connor-Petan-Stafford
Lowry-Copp-Armia/Thorburn

Enstrom-Trouba
Chiarot-Buff
Morrissey-Myers

Ouellet, Postma, Thorburn/Armia and Lipon as reserves

There are usually injuries so the extra player is a reflection of that. Morrissey or Connor can be demoted if necessitated or warranted. Lipon i want to keep. We would lose him to waivers, and i think that would be a loss, lots of heart in his game, and was a top PKer for the Moose.

Little and Helm as our top PK unit
followed by Lowry-Wheeler, Copp-Armia/Thor

What did you do with Dano?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What did you do with Dano?

I may be unpopular for saying this but i think he starts in the minors. As a RW too. I look at his game like Armia, who had to find his identity here. Took him some time with the Moose. Dano's ELC is a benefit for us. He can work his way up. I didn't see enough in his game to give him a spot next year. I think for what they can add to our special teams Armia, Petan and Copp are ahead of him. Connor we'll have to see.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Why?

At what cost?

You don't remember the Maurice comment about wishing he had a team of centers?

He's last salary was $1.1M.Not real sure what his value is. How about 2 or 3 x $2.75M? He could then be exposed in the expansion draft

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Not really interested in bottom sixers or FA defense.

Would like the physicality and skill that Okposo could bring to the top six over Stafford, but it is a long shot.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You don't remember the Maurice comment about wishing he had a team of centers?

He's last salary was $1.1M.Not real sure what his value is. How about 2 or 3 x $2.75M? He could then be exposed in the expansion draft

Just clicked.....I was thinking Rick Nash......I was confused.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
What about 6x6 for Keith Yandle?

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Yandle - Trouba
Morrissey - Myers

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think it totally depends on our goal next year, I can't believe Chevy in his wildest dreams believes this team is a playoff team. So he either needs to fix 2-3 major holes on this team or he will let them tank again. This isn't a criticism of Chevy, to me it's the only logical choices.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
What about 6x6 for Keith Yandle?

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Yandle - Trouba
Morrissey - Myers

Buff $7.6M
Yandle $6M
Enatrom $5.8M
Myers $5.5M
Trouba $5.0M?
Morrissey $0.9M

Stuart $2.6M
Chiarot $0.9M
Postma $0.9M

Pretty expensive D corp

More than $34M

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Buff $7.6M
Yandle $6M
Enatrom $5.8M
Myers $5.5M
Trouba $5.0M?
Morrissey $0.9M

Stuart $2.6M
Chiarot $0.9M
Postma $0.9M

Pretty expensive D corp

More than $34M

Agreed, especially when our gaa and sv% has amongst the worse in the entire NHL over last 5 years

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I think it totally depends on our goal next year, I can't believe Chevy in his wildest dreams believes this team is a playoff team. So he either needs to fix 2-3 major holes on this team or he will let them tank again. This isn't a criticism of Chevy, to me it's the only logical choices.

Expansion draft rules and how many teams will also impact decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad