ufas the jets to pursue summer 2016

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016
We have finally arrived at the place via drafting and trading for young prospects that I would prefer we don't add UFA's. I am not opposed categorically but it would need to make sense to me and from what I saw down the stretch from some of our young guys i am not sure sending them down is the smartest option even for short term results. If TNSE have the courage they could field a hell of a bottom six with what we have in our system.

I dont know how to bold yet lol but I agree with the first statement. Like I said before earlier in this thread it is to late to add ufas now. Would of helped before we had so many bubble players!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Would absolutely love Yandle. Trouble is there is an expansion draft coming up. Signing another high end Dman guarantees we lose one of them.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We have finally arrived at the place via drafting and trading for young prospects that I would prefer we don't add UFA's. I am not opposed categorically but it would need to make sense to me and from what I saw down the stretch from some of our young guys i am not sure sending them down is the smartest option even for short term results. If TNSE have the courage they could field a hell of a bottom six with what we have in our system.

Well said ps. Just no need.

Chevy should just sleep in on July 1. See what is left over in the value bin after the frenzy dies down.

If it is like last year there could be some bargains available for short term. I don't want to commit to 3 years for any but a very few possible FAs. Even 2 years can be too long as we are seeing with Stafford.

Not including re-signings

2011 -
2012 - Jokinenen, Ponikarovsky
2013 -
2014 - Perreault
2015 -

Seems to wade into the market every other year

I think he was active enough in the other years but he didn't always manage to sign those he targeted.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agree with you here PS. It looks like there will be one hell of an internal battle with our own guys to fill out the bottom 6. You'll have some combination of Burmi, Copp, Dano, Armia, Lowry, Lemieux, Petan, Tanev fighting it out. Hopefully pushing Thor and Peluso to the curb. Maybe even Connor to start the season will be in the mix for the 3rd line. If we get a little lottery luck and we draft an NHL ready forward the battle for positions will be even more fierce. Can't see the organization bringing in a older depth guy that won't be part of the future to take up a position.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think he was active enough in the other years but he didn't always manage to sign those he targeted.

How would you who he targeted or how active he was? Not to mention if I go house shopping and offer 100k below the asking price each time.....am I really seriously shopping for a house? You either sign FA's or you don't. You can't be kinda of pregnant, you are or you aren't, you're either success or you're not. Everything else is All speculation.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
How would you who he targeted or how active he was? Not to mention if I go house shopping and offer 100k below the asking price each time.....am I really seriously shopping for a house? You either sign FA's or you don't. You can't be kinda of pregnant, you are or you aren't, you're either success or you're not. Everything else is All speculation.

It's not speculation when Stastny's agent says the Jets presented him a substantial offer but he chose St Louis instead.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'd say MP was one of the best UFA signings over the last few seasons. But more often than not you can really ***** yourself with a bad signing. To Chevy's credit we aren't stuck with some real bad long term contract. I'd rather him be inactive than overpay for someone who doesn't really help and ties up cap space.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I'd say MP was one of the best UFA signings over the last few seasons. But more often than not you can really ***** yourself with a bad signing. To Chevy's credit we aren't stuck with some real bad long term contract. I'd rather him be inactive than overpay for someone who doesn't really help and ties up cap space.

I agree, NYR winning the Brad Richards UFA sweepstakes, or Toronto winning the Clarkson bidding put both those teams in a bind. With the cap being level and GMs seeing recent mistakes will have another drag on the free agent bidding this summer. I like that Detroit only gave Mike Green 3 years last year after they got burnt the year b4 and had to buy out S Weiss.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It's not speculation when Stastny's agent says the Jets presented him a substantial offer but he chose St Louis instead.

One FA who didn't sign here.....means he's been active each of the five years?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I don't disagree with any of that.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
One FA who didn't sign here.....means he's been active each of the five years?

Is that what I said? I don't remember saying that. I don't believe Chevy has ever been active at all by July 1 standards.

I only gave an example that was widely published in the media that was definitely not speculation.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Is that what I said? I don't remember saying that. I don't believe Chevy has ever been active at all by July 1 standards.

I only gave an example that was widely published in the media that was definitely not speculation.

Fine, one FA in five years that didn't sign that we have evidence for. I seriously question how "seriously active" Chevy has been in five years.

Bargin shopping at the dollar store. Question if we ever land a significant FA name.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Fine, one FA in five years that didn't sign that we have evidence for. I seriously question how "seriously active" Chevy has been in five years.

Bargin shopping at the dollar store. Question if we ever land a significant FA name.

Based on Perreault's play, he was a bargain, but not quite at the dollar store. More like an astute selection at a designer mark-down outlet. ;)

While most of us did not enjoy how it turned out, Jokinen was an example of the Jets going after the most sought after C available in FA, for which they paid a fairly significant price. Was that also bargain shopping at the dollar store?

The absolutes presented are what I dislike in the presentation of these arguments. There's good and bad in Chevy's lack of activity regarding UFA's - we may have lost out on some (such as Stastny), but we're also not burdened by Clarkson-like contracts. You may not be happy with that, but many are.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Why do you want this team to overpay on July 1?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Why do you want this team to overpay on July 1?

Wonder if fans of other teams who can't sign FA use the same generality type of comment to make it seem less important.

Really, why do you think all FA signings are overpayment? No fact to it, but I agree more bad contracts are signed on July 1st then any other single day. But not all are bad, that's what makes a good GM. PM is an example of my point.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Wonder if fans of other teams who can't sign FA use the same generality type of comment to make it seem less important.

Really, why do you think all FA signings are overpayment? No fact to it, but I agree more bad contracts are signed on July 1st then any other single day. But not all are bad, that's what makes a good GM. PM is an example of my point.

My thinking has evolved in the last five years. I now believe almost every player who reaches UFA status, especially the top end free agenrts will never give the value of their contracts. It's an evolving business and the players peak much earlier tham most fans realize. In a cap world there is a moneypuck formula that is more important than signing UFA's IMO. I want no part of Stamkos even if he would sign here, because the $11M cap hit is too much. Statistically he is typically on his way down just like most forwards his age. And his cap hit value would get worse every year.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Based on Perreault's play, he was a bargain, but not quite at the dollar store. More like an astute selection at a designer mark-down outlet. ;)

While most of us did not enjoy how it turned out, Jokinen was an example of the Jets going after the most sought after C available in FA, for which they paid a fairly significant price. Was that also bargain shopping at the dollar store?

The absolutes presented are what I dislike in the presentation of these arguments. There's good and bad in Chevy's lack of activity regarding UFA's - we may have lost out on some (such as Stastny), but we're also not burdened by Clarkson-like contracts. You may not be happy with that, but many are.

- I like and agree with the PM example, I've used it myself to prove July 1st doesn't necessarily mean overpayment

- Olli wasn't bargin bin, he was just an example of a mistake.

- Wait. Your using Stastny as example of a poor contract avoided? Chevy tried to sign him to a big deal, thank God Stastny wanted to go to a competitive team and turned us down. David Clarkson contract was bad, how does another bad GM mistake make Chevy better? One could argue David a winger could be buried on the 3Rd line. Pavs contract as our starter over 5 years, could be comparable b/c the critical nature of the starting goalie vs a winger.

I'm not arguing for bad contracts, that's a poor assumption by you trying to make your point. Really?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
My thinking has evolved in the last five years. I now believe almost every player who reaches UFA status, especially the top end free agenrts will never give the value of their contracts. It's an evolving business and the players peak much earlier tham most fans realize. In a cap world there is a moneypuck formula that is more important than signing UFA's IMO. I want no part of Stamkos even if he would sign here, because the $11M cap hit is too much. Statistically he is typically on his way down just like most forwards his age. And his cap hit value would get worse every year.

100% agree, one does need to be very careful signing those Ufa contracts. But I'm a bit less against signing any of them then you. A good GM should sign the good ones and avoid the bad. If he can't tell the difference then the question should be is he a good GM or just a hfb poster. :laugh:

Lee was a perfect example of a great one. Yes I agree on Stamkos, wouldn't sign that contract for all the tea in China.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There are always great UFA signings available. Devils turned a UFA signing into a 2nd and a 4th, Toronto has collected so many picks and good roster players like Parenteau just through FA signings. Dallas got a bonafide top-4 dman out of UFA. Free Agency is just another tool in the GM's arsenal that can be used to put yourself in a bind a or waste assets on just like trades and draft picks, you only do yourself a disservice by sitting out of it. Yes there are bad deals given out on July 1st (including by the Jets in the past few seasons) but a shrewd GM should be able to separate the crap from the quality and give his team that added boost for free. For example this board was begging the Jets to sign Greiss and Khudobin everytime they hit FA and now Greiss is tearing it up in the playoffs when given the opportunity

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
There are always great UFA signings available. Devils turned a UFA signing into a 2nd and a 4th, Toronto has collected so many picks and good roster players like Parenteau just through FA signings. Dallas got a bonafide top-4 dman out of UFA. Free Agency is just another tool in the GM's arsenal that can be used to put yourself in a bind a or waste assets on just like trades and draft picks, you only do yourself a disservice by sitting out of it. Yes there are bad deals given out on July 1st (including by the Jets in the past few seasons) but a shrewd GM should be able to separate the crap from the quality and give his team that added boost for free. For example this board was begging the Jets to sign Greiss and Khudobin everytime they hit FA and now Greiss is tearing it up in the playoffs when given the opportunity

Agreed. These absolutes claiming all July 1st or UFA contracts are bad is fiction. Some are bad, some are very good.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
- Wait. Your using Stastny as example of a poor contract avoided? Chevy tried to sign him to a big deal, thank God Stastny wanted to go to a competitive team and turned us down. David Clarkson contract was bad, how does another bad GM mistake make Chevy better? One could argue David a winger could be buried on the 3Rd line. Pavs contract as our starter over 5 years, could be comparable b/c the critical nature of the starting goalie vs a winger.

I'm not arguing for bad contracts, that's a poor assumption by you trying to make your point. Really?

I'm arguing that FA is a damned crap-shoot, and I'd rather avoid it unless we think that we're SC contenders or there's an obvious money-puck player like MP. That's my position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad