Myers $5.5M
Trouba $5.0M?
Morrissey $0.9M

Stuart $2.6M
Chiarot $0.9M
Postma $0.9M

Pretty expensive D corp

More than $34M

However, if we somehow can move Stuart and Pavelec that cap space alone is enough to cover it. Plus they still have Stafford and Throburn eating cap who aren't in the long term plans...

Expensive, absolutely. But doable with our cost controlled forwards.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If we sign an UFA, who does that leave unprotected for the expansion draft? I really like Helm but who do we leave unprotected or do we just leave him unprotected........3 years for 2.875 per year and leave him unprotected.
A LOT depends on who the Jets draft this year.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think we should sign any. We have enough guys fighting for spots as it is. Unless it's a LHD or a guaranteed top 6 scorer, then we should.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
However, if we somehow can move Stuart and Pavelec that cap space alone is enough to cover it. Plus they still have Stafford and Throburn eating cap who aren't in the long term plans...

Even without Stuart (good luck moving him BTW) it would be the most expensive D corp in the league. I would hate that move. Yandle is not very good TBH and I would not want that albatross contract hanging over the team as they try to resign Ehlers Connor Morrissey etc. it would be a stupid move and an unwise use of resources IMO

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
If the Jets re-sign Trouba and keep him at LD, then they are actually not bad at LD for the next few seasons.... Enstrom, Trouba, Morrissey, Chiarot.

If they decide to move Trouba, then I would definitely hope that they look for a good #4 LHD. Morrissey may fit into that role eventually, but we need to ensure that Stuart is kept to an increasingly marginalized role.

I could actually see Chevy trying to make a splash at the draft by packaging one of his young prospects (Dano? Petan? Armia? Roslovic?) to maneuver up in the draft (with either of the 1sts).

I just have a sense that the depth of young forwards might prompt him to look for a bigger move.

Leave Trouba as a RD and sign Alex Goligoski. It is a sad fact that Atl in their last year had a better LD than any of the Jet teams after Oduya was traded. [mod] Put Helm with Lowry & Burmi as our shutdown line. Trade Stafford at the draft for a pick. Or Stafford + Myers=?

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Our biggest need in regards to UFAs is definitely LHD.

Three UFAs that look pretty decent that I would pursue:

Ehrhoff - Chi -- 33 years old, but decent size & decent stats
Schlemko - NJ -- 28. decent size & stats
http://public.tableau.com/shared/53J4GMR36?:display_count=yes

Yandle - NYR -- no doubt will be highly coveted, but he's probably the best out there for sure. Too pricey for our tastes no doubt.

All 3 of these guy would be great adds IMO. Probably are other RFAs that are worth looking at as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Gotta plan ahead. Forwards are only "cost controlled" for a short time window, and Yandle will want a long contract. That was the problem with signing both Ladd and Buff.

Ehlers - 2 years (probably a big long-term deal out of ELC) - $6M
Connor - 3 years (same as Ehlers, unless he's a dud) - $5M
Lowry - 2 years (new contract out of bridge) - $2.5M
Perreault - 1 year (if we re-sign) - $4M
Little - 2 years (bump up from $4.7M if we re-sign) - $5.5M
Wheeler - 3 years (bump up from $5.6M if we re-sign) - $6.5M

That group of 6 forwards might cost as much as $30 M (would have been $35 M or more with Ladd.

You still have Hellebuyck and the rest of a roster to fill.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Really??

The fascination with Stempniak is becoming legendary.

Where do you fit Stempniak in the line-up? Which young player should we keep in the minors for him? Dano? Armia? Petan?

I would get rid of Stafford as Stemp >>>> Stafford for the role that needs to be filled. Barring that I'd send Thorburn to the minors to make room for him

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It all depends if they intend to make the playoffs next year. Keeping guys like Dano and Petan in the minors until they really force their way onto the roster would go against the "youth movement". If they add some veteran UFA help, they can't go half way, just adding enough help to finish barely outside the playoffs. It'd have to be a 3rd line penalty-killing center and a second-pairing LHD.

He's not a UFA, but I'd be curious if they could steal Shaw from the Blackhawks depending on their cap situation. He's RFA this summer. Good complimentary middle-6 player. Imagine how good the third line would be if they got him and Helm.

Where do you fit Stempniak in the line-up? Which young player should we keep in the minors for him? Dano? Armia? Petan?

I'm not against keeping guys in the minors if there's better players readily available. Dano, Armia and Petan are not can't-miss prospects that deserve to have room made for them. If they couldn't beat out a career middle-6 player like Stempniak, are they really worth investing that much in? Make them really earn their spots.

Would you do Helm for 3 for $3M

He's a bit older at 29, but he's still very fast and tenacious and would give our bottom 6 a boost. He also excels on the PK.

I don't expect nor want them to do anything too crazy in UFA this year.

Helm would be a great add. I'd have no problem with 3 x $3M.

What about a guy like Okposo? I think he'd be a decent fit with the Jets.

Okposo is going to get more money than Ladd. I'd be weary of that just based on his injury history. Having Wheeler and Okposo at RW would be ridiculous. Not realistic though.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It all depends if they intend to make the playoffs next year. Keeping guys like Dano and Petan in the minors until they really force their way onto the roster would go against the "youth movement".

I don't know why Dano keeps being grouped with guys like Armia and Petan. Dano has proven himself to be NHL ready and a very useful NHL player, there is no reason for him to go to the minors

Dhors

Oct 23, 2015
Halifax
Our biggest need in regards to UFAs is definitely LHD.

Three UFAs that look pretty decent that I would pursue:

Ehrhoff - Chi -- 33 years old, but decent size & decent stats

I've watched a fair bit of Ehrhoff as my dad and sister are Pens fans...I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole (I'd rather Stuart, so we know how serious I am). The guy is a big injury risk, and he was the softest defenseman on a very soft Penguins D corps last year. I thought he looked out of place on the Kings, and apparently so did they. Haven't noticed him on Chicago either...I'll assume he's in the AHL. Smart player but I just don't think he can do it anymore. Yandle of course would be great, can't comment much on Schlemko.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Ladd first star tonight. He is the UFA we should sign. If we don't look like we will make the playoffs again we trade him to Chicago again so he has another cup run. Wash rinse repeat. Everyone happy!

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't know why Dano keeps being grouped with guys like Armia and Petan. Dano has proven himself to be NHL ready and a very useful NHL player, there is no reason for him to go to the minors

What has Dano done to distinguish himself from the rest of the group that has to fight for a roster spot this season? He doesn't belong in the same tier as Little, Scheif, Ehlers, Wheeler, or Perreault, and Stafford albeit on a downswing is still more proven. There's 6 spots up for grabs and roughly 13 forwards competing with the chance to make it. Dano isn't guaranteed anything at the NHL level next season.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I would not count on the Jets ever being players, in the free agent market. We're more of a "draft and develop" team. Having said that, it would be nice to have Ladd return, but it's definitely not a priority, as many of our forwards are hitting their stride, and Connor is going to play for the jets next season.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We have finally arrived at the place via drafting and trading for young prospects that I would prefer we don't add UFA's. I am not opposed categorically but it would need to make sense to me and from what I saw down the stretch from some of our young guys i am not sure sending them down is the smartest option even for short term results. If TNSE have the courage they could field a hell of a bottom six with what we have in our system.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
We have finally arrived at the place via drafting and trading for young prospects that I would prefer we don't add UFA's. I am not opposed categorically but it would need to make sense to me and from what I saw down the stretch from some of our young guys i am not sure sending them down is the smartest option even for short term results. If TNSE have the courage they could field a hell of a bottom six with what we have in our system.

This x 10! What's your ideal bottom six? Assuming ehlers scheif wheels little mp staff top 6.
Connor burmi petan
Armia copp Dano
Lowry
Thor

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Chevy should just sleep in on July 1. See what is left over in the value bin after the frenzy dies down.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Chevy should just sleep in on July 1. See what is left over in the value bin after the frenzy dies down.

Real question, has he ever done anything on July 1st, I don't recall him ever doing anything on first day. Might be wrong.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Real question, has he ever done anything on July 1st, I don't recall him ever doing anything on first day. Might be wrong.

Not including re-signings

2011 -
2012 - Jokinenen, Ponikarovsky
2013 -
2014 - Perreault
2015 -

Seems to wade into the market every other year

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
2011-- Randy Jones, Gregoire (UND),Meech, Glass and Rypien. I was just happy to have the team back and was excited about Rypien.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad