ufas the jets to pursue summer 2016

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fine, one FA in five years that didn't sign that we have evidence for. I seriously question how "seriously active" Chevy has been in five years.

Bargin shopping at the dollar store. Question if we ever land a significant FA name.

Wonder if fans of other teams who can't sign FA use the same generality type of comment to make it seem less important.

Really, why do you think all FA signings are overpayment? No fact to it, but I agree more bad contracts are signed on July 1st then any other single day. But not all are bad, that's what makes a good GM. PM is an example of my point.

2012 - Jokinenen, Ponikarovsky
2013 -
2014 - Perreault
2015 -

It seems to me he also signed several in'11 trying to bolster the roster we inherited.

That is not a lot of FAs out of all that have been available but how many would you expect? What is a typical number?

As we rise in the standings it will get easier to sign FAs which will offset the drop in draft position. I think that when FAs choose from the 3-4 best offers they see the contracts are pretty much the same and playing for a winning team becomes the most important factor.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Stories came out about strong attempts at a couple of others too. Stastny is the one I remember but there were others that he was in the game on. It was not a large number of players but it seems there are 1 or 2 each year. The thing is that the idea he only tries every second year doesn't hold water. Some years he gets one, some years he does not. Honestly though I will be a bit surprised if there are any this year. Like it or not I think we are committed to the Youth Movement.

Stories.....from who? Chevy of course says he's busy, got things in the mix, whatever catch phrases he likes to use each summer. Unless it's confirmed by a source outside the team, it's questionable at best.

No one is claiming he only tries every second year, not sure where your pulling that from.

I have no issue going young, long over due imo . Means no playoffs but that's ok, but I want to see real progress.

I will never say FA or trades shouldn't happen, they should if it helps you meet your goal (whatever the goal is at the moment).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not debating your comment about signing anyone or not.

But I don't believe we can claim we played our best with all the rookies in our lineup. Imo that's very hard to judge and I highly doubt it.

Reasoning is those were meaningless games for our team and our opponents. Opponents often looked at our games as a night off late in the season. Heck even the smoke machine aka PMO stated they were meaningless and we couldnt/shouldnt judge anything from them.

There was no pressure for us to win those games so maybe we played better looser. They were very definitely meaningful, important games to our opposition. They may have underestimated us. Could you blame them? So they took us lightly and got burned. But they were important games, ask LAK.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stories.....from who? Chevy of course says he's busy, got things in the mix, whatever catch phrases he likes to use each summer. Unless it's confirmed by a source outside the team, it's questionable at best.

No one is claiming he only tries every second year, not sure where your pulling that from.

I have no issue going young, long over due imo . Means no playoffs but that's ok, but I want to see real progress.

I will never say FA or trades shouldn't happen, they should if it helps you meet your goal (whatever the goal is at the moment).

I don't remember the details. I'm not going to get into that with you. You heard them yourself. The thing is it only needs 1 or 2 to disprove the notion that he only tries every 2nd year or that he seldom tries. We don't know how often he tries hard, or how often he tries half-heartedly. We know he has been reported trying on a couple of high profile UFAs and he has signed a few UFAs so it is more than none and more often than never and he succeeds more often than never.

Aavco noted the every 2nd year signing. You seemed to pick up on it.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There's an implication that Stempniak was a great signing because he returned a 2nd and a 4th for NJ, something that would NOT happen here. The return might have been a 3rd or a 4th, and he would either have resulted in no change in the standings, or a worse finish w/regards to the lottery standings.

And once again: yes, I wish he were here rather than Peluso or Thor.

All I was doing was using Stempniak as an example of useful free agent acquisition. It wasn't another "we should have re-signed Stempniak post". I don't know what he would have fetched for the jets (although anything would be better than nothing) but Stempniak's relative value on the Jets vs the Devils was not the point of my post. It was just an example to show how free agency can be a useful tool when the last few posts in the thread had been decrying free agency as toxic. Maybe I should have used another free agent like Daniel Winnick to make my point as Stempniak is apparently still a hot button topic on this board that strikes a lot of raw nerves

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
There was no pressure for us to win those games so maybe we played better looser. They were very definitely meaningful, important games to our opposition. They may have underestimated us. Could you blame them? So they took us lightly and got burned. But they were important games, ask LAK.

Some were, some weren't important, I assumed no one was taking my post literal....every word of it.

Meaningless games even as per PMO and you can't take anything from them as per PMO.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't remember the details. I'm not going to get into that with you. You heard them yourself. The thing is it only needs 1 or 2 to disprove the notion that he only tries every 2nd year or that he seldom tries. We don't know how often he tries hard, or how often he tries half-heartedly. We know he has been reported trying on a couple of high profile UFAs and he has signed a few UFAs so it is more than none and more often than never and he succeeds more often than never.

Aavco noted the every 2nd year signing. You seemed to pick up on it.

Sure I noticed the signings but I never stated he only tried every second year. Im sure he kicks a few tires every year, but really has had one meaningful FA signing in 5 years?

Results oriented business.......

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
2012 - Jokinenen, Ponikarovsky
2013 -
2014 - Perreault
2015 -

It seems to me he also signed several in'11 trying to bolster the roster we inherited.

That is not a lot of FAs out of all that have been available but how many would you expect? What is a typical number?

As we rise in the standings it will get easier to sign FAs which will offset the drop in draft position. I think that when FAs choose from the 3-4 best offers they see the contracts are pretty much the same and playing for a winning team becomes the most important factor.

That list I posted was only the frenzy day signings. There were other FA signings later once it died down

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
If we were going to go for it this year I'd offer Brian Campbell a one or two year deal. Jason Demers would be good as well, much younger so a longer term deal would be good.

Jiri Hudler would a nice addition for our third line wing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That list I posted was only the frenzy day signings. There were other FA signings later once it died down

That's what I figured. That's why I deleted '11. I knew there were more signings then.

I think the important thing is that Chevy has been at least moderately active in the FA market and had some success. Not much maybe but some. Most of the ones we didn't get I am just as glad. Even Stastny who is one of the better ones. After 2 years in St. Louis he has been OK but he has not been earning 7 mil. He is 30 YO, not likely to get better and still has 14.5 mil coming to him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we had a way to get rid of Pavelec...I would rake Reimer to platoon with Hellebuyck.

You would have to outbid Calgary for one to get Reimer.

I would buyout Pav, no hesitation at all. Hutch as the backup. If Helle/Hutch flopped Pav wouldn't help.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You would have to outbid Calgary for one to get Reimer.

I would buyout Pav, no hesitation at all. Hutch as the backup. If Helle/Hutch flopped Pav wouldn't help.

No doubt Calagary goes hard for Reimer but they also have to resign Gaudreau, Monahan, Colborne, Jooris and Shore. But they do have almost $8mmil in goalie bucks coming off the books with Hiller and Backstrom.
My guess is Reimer gets $3-4mil on a 2-3 year contract. But I also think whomever Reimer signs with he wants to make sure he's the boss of the crease. Competition with Helle might scare him off. In Calgary he'll be relied on as the surefire starter day 1 right through to the end of the season.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
No doubt Calagary goes hard for Reimer but they also have to resign Gaudreau, Monahan, Colborne, Jooris and Shore. But they do have almost $8mmil in goalie bucks coming off the books with Hiller and Backstrom.
My guess is Reimer gets $3-4mil on a 2-3 year contract. But I also think whomever Reimer signs with he wants to make sure he's the boss of the crease. Competition with Helle might scare him off. In Calgary he'll be relied on as the surefire starter day 1 right through to the end of the season.

Fair point. It's beyond me why that guy stayed in Toronto like he did. He carried that team on his back until game 7 against the Bruins...and instead of rewarding that they bring in Bernier. Ridiculous.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I sure hope we don't sign Reimer. He has not proven himself as a #1. He has good stretches but looks awfully porous at times.

I kind of hope he signs with the Flames, if my memory serves me correct he has a pretty bad record against us.

If i was going to add a local boy as a goalie, I would be trying to trade for Calvin Pickard, I think his ceiling is much higher.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I just don't see a Reimer signing this summer by the Jets - too many unlikely things would have happen on both sides to make it work.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I love the option Toronto has used lately where they sign UFA's for one season to flip at the deadline. I think for a tanking team who is rebuilding it is brilliant quantity picks strategy. My vote would be for us to not do that this season though. We have Stafford and possibly Perreault to move at the trade deadline if necessary and any rental flip job would be sucking up minutes better allocated to our youth.

Dunno, now that you mention it... Let a ufa or two come in and get us closer to being a playoff team. Rookies and 2nd year players bridge the gap when there's an injury, gaining experience. Before the deadline we flip the ufas for futures and if we think the youngins don't make up for the veteran losses, we re-flip those futures for rightnows. Buy-sell-buy.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
People are saying Calgary is a natural fit for Reimer......... I do not think it is going to happen. Not enough truculance (LOL ). Brian Burke had him in Toronto and I do not see Brian green lighting a Calgary FA move to target Reimer. I may be wrong but I do not see Burke going backwards.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
People are saying Calgary is a natural fit for Reimer......... I do not think it is going to happen. Not enough truculance (LOL ). Brian Burke had him in Toronto and I do not see Brian green lighting a Calgary FA move to target Reimer. I may be wrong but I do not see Burke going backwards.

Calgary needs goaltending badly. Who else is available?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Calgary needs goaltending badly. Who else is available?

I can sell U Pavs and some swamp land in Florida. :laugh:

When Anaheim lose game 7 ....... Anderson will be traded as Anaheim fully backs Gibson. They have to make a decision b4 expansion draft. Calgary either has 2 2 nds to trade, or a late 1 st if Dallas gets by the Blues next round.:popcorn:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Reimer makes perfect sense for Calgary - he's not going to get a long-term deal, allowing them to give Gillies some development time, and for Reimer, he's closer to home (home is BC for him no matter how many times people say Norweena) and will be the unquestioned number 1 coming out of camp.

I'd think, where Calgary is right now, that getting Reimer through free agency is better than moving assets for Andersen. If they were more ready to compete yearly, I'd say Andersen was better, but Reimer is the best choice I think for them.

As for Jets UFAs, I'd be surprised if it's anyone that makes an impact at the NHL level at all. It'll be Moose level signings, and we'll all throw up our hands that Chevy is wasting time with AHL level UFAs instead of making a futile effort at signing Yandle or Stamkos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad