ufas the jets to pursue summer 2016

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Here's a list of 91 UFA LHD for 2016:

http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=D&shoots=Left&team=all&UFA=1

Without actually making any recommendations, some names that stick out are Campbell, Hamuis, Yandle, Nikitin, Benn, Goligoski and Liles.

You've got options from 1st pairing to 7th D in there. I'll leave it up to others to decide which pairing is the area of need. Personally I wouldn't mind just letting Morrissey get a shot.
Other than Yandle who is clearly outside our price range there isn't much quality there. Yandle aside there are only 3 with 50+ NHL games and a +ve Rel Corsi over the past 3 years. Matt Donovan, David Schlemko and Adam Clendening.

Donovan maybe?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
So this is unlikely to happen, but the Jets might have the cap room to pull it off - let's talk hypotheticals:

Jets decide to go after Stamkos and manage to land him. With Stamkos, Schiefele, and Little as our centres, how dangerous would this team be? You've also got Lowry, Burmi, and Copp as additional centre depth. You've got guys like Ehlers and Connor, Perreault, Wheels, Stafford, Dano and Armia that you can place on their wings.

Morrissey displaces Stuart (yes, I know - dreaming - bear with me). Helle takes over the starting position.

Does the addition of Stamkos to this lineup make the Jets a contender?

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
So this is unlikely to happen, but the Jets might have the cap room to pull it off - let's talk hypotheticals:

Jets decide to go after Stamkos and manage to land him. With Stamkos, Schiefele, and Little as our centres, how dangerous would this team be? You've also got Lowry, Burmi, and Copp as additional centre depth. You've got guys like Ehlers and Connor, Perreault, Wheels, Stafford, Dano and Armia that you can place on their wings.

Morrissey displaces Stuart (yes, I know - dreaming - bear with me). Helle takes over the starting position.

Slow down. [mod] Still weak on W and D. Where does everyone get this idea the Burmi belongs on a NHL roster that's trying to make the playoffs...

Last edited by a moderator:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Slow down. [mod] Still weak on W and D. Where does everyone get this idea the Burmi belongs on a NHL roster that's trying to make the playoffs...

Legit Q. I'd argue that we possess a pretty good d-corp, potentially strong goaltending with Helle, and more than reasonable winger depth. Burmi's a fine 3rd/4th line player, on a reasonable contract - I would not (and wasn't suggesting) playing him any higher than that.

If Stamkos isn't enough to push this team further down the road, then what else would you want to go after in UFA to make it happen in addition?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Would you want to sign post injury Stamkos to a contract of 8 yrs x 10 million or 8 yrs x 9 million? Real question

I wouldn't want to do that deal and I like Stamkos.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Would you want to sign post injury Stamkos to a contract of 8 yrs x 10 million or 8 yrs x 9 million? Real question

We could only sign him for 7 years, but I get your point - it would be quite the price to pay, and you'd be taking a chance that he could return to his former level of play.

I'm not sure, TBH. It's tying a lot of money up in one player, but many here have lamented the relative lack of "elite" players on the Jets. The Jets centre depth would be very formidable, with Scheifele and Little as part of the roster as well.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I heard something about his current condition that said it shouldn't have any long term implications at all but I suspect he has never been the same since his broken leg. Still a very good player but not what he was.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I heard something about his current condition that said it shouldn't have any long term implications at all but I suspect he has never been the same since his broken leg. Still a very good player but not what he was.

I don't think he's lost a step since breaking his leg. It's more that he doesn't have Martin St. Louis feeding him seeing-eye passes all night anymore.

And I wonder about this blood clot thing. The solution is to remove one of his ribs that's fused to his collarbone. And that's not going to affect his shot mechanics at all? Hmmm...I sure wouldn't want to risk $70M on it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think he's lost a step since breaking his leg. It's more that he doesn't have Martin St. Louis feeding him seeing-eye passes all night anymore.

And I wonder about this blood clot thing. The solution is to remove one of his ribs that's fused to his collarbone. And that's not going to affect his shot mechanics at all? Hmmm...I sure wouldn't want to risk $70M on it.

It could be the loss of MSL but the drop off in his scoring coincided perfectly with the broken leg. Cooper started using him differently around the same time so there were a few factors. Whatever the cause he has not been the same player. IIRC TBL was reported recently to have offered him 8x8.5. I won't be too surprised if he ends up accepting that.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'm going to just say it, I think Stamkos is somewhat over rated, he's a good player for sure but i don't think he's this missing piece to a team that some thinks he is. Look at Tampa Bay right now, Honestly, they look better without him and this run might make it easier for them to move on from Stamkos. Some team will over pay for Stamkos based on what he's done in the past, I'm just not sure the Stamkos of the past is the one that will be around in the future.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm going to just say it, I think Stamkos is somewhat over rated, he's a good player for sure but i don't think he's this missing piece to a team that some thinks he is. Look at Tampa Bay right now, Honestly, they look better without him and this run might make it easier for them to move on from Stamkos. Some team will over pay for Stamkos based on what he's done in the past, I'm just not sure the Stamkos of the past is the one that will be around in the future.

If he signed with us, I'd want to test out Stamkos with Petan for a while. He's got to be one of the best passers I've seen in our organization. Maybe they could find some of the chemistry Stamkos lost when MSL departed. It's just a dream though, if we were in a bidding war with Stamkos with Toronto I don't see him choosing us first.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If he signed with us, I'd want to test out Stamkos with Petan for a while. He's got to be one of the best passers I've seen in our organization. Maybe they could find some of the chemistry Stamkos lost when MSL departed. It's just a dream though, if we were in a bidding war with Stamkos with Toronto I don't see him choosing us first.

I still fail to see how Toronto can be considered a serious bidder for Stamkos. Never mind that it would wreck their rebuild by tying up too much cap to allow them to build a decent team around him. I just don't see where they can come up with the cap space to sign him in the first place. Money is nothing to the Leafs but they have the same cap as everyone else. And a lot of theirs is already spent. After they hace actually moved a couple of their bad contracts I will be able to see it but until then the cap space just isn't there.

Edit: I added up what they are already committed to. I filled the bottom of their roster with a bunch of contract between 575k and 1 mil. It still came to 68.5 mil. The optimistic forecast for the cap next year is 74.5. Subtract 1 mil for the player Stamkos replaces and that still gives only 7 mil available.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I still fail to see how Toronto can be considered a serious bidder for Stamkos. Never mind that it would wreck their rebuild by tying up too much cap to allow them to build a decent team around him. I just don't see where they can come up with the cap space to sign him in the first place. Money is nothing to the Leafs but they have the same cap as everyone else. And a lot of theirs is already spent.

They will make room for him believe me. First thing they do is buy out Cowen for a cap credit of $650k and a cap savings of $3.7M

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They will make room for him believe me. First thing they do is buy out Cowen for a cap credit of $650k and a cap savings of $3.7M

I can see where it is possible by doing things like that but it completely contradicts the plan they have stated and appear to be following.

Maybe they buy out Cowen and Lupul and Laich, Michalek too. Add those to Gleason and Kessel they are still paying plus at least 9 for Stamkos. How are they going to pay for all the young players second contracts? I just don't believe they are willing to jeopardize their rebuild to sign 1 star player. The old Leafs certainly would have done that. If they do it now we will know that they haven't really changed. That is not necessarily a bad thing. :) But I believe what they have been saying about rebuilding properly, finally after all these years.

We'll see in a couple of months if they announce a bunch of buyouts.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What do people think of Goligoski? He'll soon turn 31 but he still is producing. His Warrior Chart looks good and so does his Hero Chart. Would he be worth pursuing and will he sign a reasonable contract or will he get some inflated FA deal?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I can see where it is possible by doing things like that but it completely contradicts the plan they have stated and appear to be following.

Maybe they buy out Cowen and Lupul and Laich, Michalek too. Add those to Gleason and Kessel they are still paying plus at least 9 for Stamkos. How are they going to pay for all the young players second contracts? I just don't believe they are willing to jeopardize their rebuild to sign 1 star player. The old Leafs certainly would have done that. If they do it now we will know that they haven't really changed. That is not necessarily a bad thing. :) But I believe what they have been saying about rebuilding properly, finally after all these years.

We'll see in a couple of months if they announce a bunch of buyouts.

I believe they've already told Cowen they will buy him out. That's why they traded for him. Because his buyout generates a cap credit

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The only player I would sign is a good tough defenceman (RH) with a cannon shot. Maybe add a couple of vets cheap for depth and you have a playoff team ... of course Pavs would have to be cut or on the bench.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I believe they've already told Cowen they will buy him out. That's why they traded for him. Because his buyout generates a cap credit

Yes but that won't do it. Who else do you think they will buy out? Lupul? I think it will take at least 1 more.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yes but that won't do it. Who else do you think they will buy out? Lupul? I think it will take at least 1 more.

I realize that won't do it but it was widely speculated when they acquired Cowen, that it was a move in the chess game for Stamkos. It's very rare that a team can buy out a player and get a cap credit.

If Stammer makes it all the way to UFA I guarantee the Leafs will have made enough moves to make a max offer possible.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I don't think that the Leafs are that much a favourite to land Stamkos. I mean, Stamkos wants to be paid, and long term at that, but how much is he willing to give up not being on a SC contender for at least the next 3 years? In that time, the Leafs will have their own crop of highly skilled forwards - Nylander, Marner, (likely) Soshnikov, 2016 1st - that will need raises. The Leafs front office, with their new hires, place a bigger emphasis on smart money management. I don't know if giving Stamkos what he wants for a contract will be smart money for them.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I don't think that the Leafs are that much a favourite to land Stamkos. I mean, Stamkos wants to be paid, and long term at that, but how much is he willing to give up not being on a SC contender for at least the next 3 years? In that time, the Leafs will have their own crop of highly skilled forwards - Nylander, Marner, (likely) Soshnikov, 2016 1st - that will need raises. The Leafs front office with their new hires place a bigger emphasis on smart money management. I don't know if giving Stamkos what he wants for a contract will be smart money for them.

I'm not sure he signs there, but I have no doubt the Leafs will try hard.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I realize that won't do it but it was widely speculated when they acquired Cowen, that it was a move in the chess game for Stamkos. It's very rare that a team can buy out a player and get a cap credit.

If Stammer makes it all the way to UFA I guarantee the Leafs will have made enough moves to make a max offer possible.

Yes that was a very odd circumstance. Of course it would be the Leafs that would do that deal but it doesn't necessarily relate to Stamkos. They just need cap space.

I don't see it fitting in with their rebuild. Stamkos is not old at only 26 but he will be past his prime by the time they can build a team around him and they are going to have to pay a lot of young players in a lot less than 7 years.

The Leafs in the past have always tried to have 1 or 2 stars and paid whatever it took. How has that worked for the last 49 years? Even before the cap they were never able to buy a winner. They say they are going to do it differently this time and what they have done in the last year looks like they mean it. I can see where it would be very tempting but I think they would regret it very soon.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yes that was a very odd circumstance. Of course it would be the Leafs that would do that deal but it doesn't necessarily relate to Stamkos. They just need cap space.

I don't see it fitting in with their rebuild. Stamkos is not old at only 26 but he will be past his prime by the time they can build a team around him and they are going to have to pay a lot of young players in a lot less than 7 years.

The Leafs in the past have always tried to have 1 or 2 stars and paid whatever it took. How has that worked for the last 49 years? Even before the cap they were never able to buy a winner. They say they are going to do it differently this time and what they have done in the last year looks like they mean it. I can see where it would be very tempting but I think they would regret it very soon.

I never said it would be smart to sign him. Only that they would try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad