OT: TRAVEL

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I have been fortunate to do a bunch of travel over the past few years, including some of the places mentioned in this thread. Including BVI/Virgin Gorda 3 times. Some places and brief comments

Colombia/Cartegana - loved it. Would take it over most places in Mexico any day
Panama City - crazy friendly and welcoming place
Belize - great for water sports
Thailand and Vietnam. Just wow - need to go back
Costa Rica - it has a great reputation for a reason
Italy - multiple locations. Including a place that doesn’t get a lot of tourists - Bari. Southern Italy has some of the scariest driving anywhere.
France - Provence/Southern France and Paris. Montpellier doesn’t get a lot of tourists - It‘s awesome. Paris is much more welcoming than it used to be. Probably my favorite city.
Nashville - loved it.
Memphis - so-so
California wine country - wonderful
Montreal - old city is fantastic - my fav Canadian city.
Vegas a bunch of times. Including when the Jets crapped the bed there this playoff season

Might do Turkey next.
You got me looking at Cartagena. Places to stay seem to be priced very reasonable, like over $100/night is expensive…..am I just looking at murder hotels or is it just that reasonable?

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Anywhere in Europe is great, people there exhibit a level of civility and class that is lacking in North America!

sick of the me, me, me attitude of a lot of Americans that seems to be catching on here, will spend my $$$ in Europe from now on!
Yup, haven't been to the US in 17 years and never going back. Too messed up.

Reactions: sipowicz

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't understand people who recline their seats in airplanes. There is already limited room, why encroach on someone else's space? Got off of a 9.5 hour flight and the guy in front of me was reclining the whole time and made the flight more miserable than it needed to be.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't understand people who recline their seats in airplanes. There is already limited room, why encroach on someone else's space? Got off of a 9.5 hour flight and the guy in front of me was reclining the whole time and made the flight more miserable than it needed to be.
9.5hours.....Tokyo to Vancouver?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Almost every time I fly, I'm always seated behind that guy. And half the time there's also a crying baby for the whole flight. :laugh:

Reactions: JetsFan815

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I know. It's not even comfortable.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
You got me looking at Cartagena. Places to stay seem to be priced very reasonable, like over $100/night is expensive…..am I just looking at murder hotels or is it just that reasonable?
Cartagena is incredible and cheap. I stayed in very modern air bnb’s on the ocean and I never paid over $100/night. I’ve paid as little as $45 CDN for a 1000 sq ft modern condo on the beach with a beautiful balcony.

Colombia in general is very inexpensive but has everything.

Reactions: TS Quint

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Cartagena is incredible and cheap. I stayed in very modern air bnb’s on the ocean and I never paid over $100/night. I’ve paid as little as $45 CDN for a 1000 sq ft modern condo on the beach with a beautiful balcony.

Colombia in general is very inexpensive but has everything.
If possible, I would highly recommend staying in the old walled city. Restaurant and bar scene is incredible. It’s a Unesco World Heritage site. But wherever you stay, it’s a fantastic place.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
This is a great list. Looks like allot of recreational travel too. Are you retired?
Mostly retired, yes. That list is all recreational travel. The list would be a lot longer if I had included pre-retirement business travel. I was always gone 100+ days per year.

True statement on it not being cheap, but it’s a big priority for me. I started my original post off by calling myself fortunate, partly because of being able to afford all of this. There are so many cool places to explore.

Reactions: ps241 and 10Ducky10

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Anywhere in Europe is great, people there exhibit a level of civility and class that is lacking in North America!

sick of the me, me, me attitude of a lot of Americans that seems to be catching on here, will spend my $$$ in Europe from now on!
I am a fellow Europe fan. If you can swing it, I would highly recommend giving Southeast Asia a try too. When I went, I was kind of expecting Thailand to be great and it was. But the big surprise was Vietnam. Food, service, hospitality and so on was outstanding.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
If possible, I would highly recommend staying in the old walled city. Restaurant and bar scene is incredible. It’s a Unesco World Heritage site. But wherever you stay, it’s a fantastic place.
The walled city is great. You can really have whatever you want really. There is everything there from old world charm to high rise modern in Boca Grande.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
I am a fellow Europe fan. If you can swing it, I would highly recommend giving Southeast Asia a try too. When I went, I was kind of expecting Thailand to be great and it was. But the big surprise was Vietnam. Food, service, hospitality and so on was outstanding.

Thailand is a blast - Vietnam is on our list.

39C26349-16C5-4217-A35C-436D06B8675B.jpeg2F0240A7-B455-43E4-9E1C-A3FBAD2D9BF0.jpeg585B111F-EC6E-4821-8137-4134B75985A6_1_201_a.jpeg851CF3AC-FCB3-486A-94C4-BA0E2667557F.jpeg156B0AD4-C1DE-4DA6-9C9C-377674FE4648.jpegD2478F93-6AB2-4E26-A688-6614E504CC3F_1_201_a.jpegF98CDC71-4C40-40E0-9E05-8CB30C393FD7.jpegE32F89BC-F6EA-42BE-B068-6A21F1B74071_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: macmaroon

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks, have heard good things about Vietnam! Would love to see Thailand, Japan and the Philippines as well!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I travelled to Thailand in 1987 and stayed there for about two months. Pretty magic experience in my life.

Reactions: 10Ducky10 and imec

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Almost every time I fly, I'm always seated behind that guy. And half the time there's also a crying baby for the whole flight. :laugh:
Can't help you with reclining seat problem but when I started travelling internationally for work about 10 years ago I bought myself some Bose noise cancelling headphones and they are the best. I found I felt so much better after a long flight with the ambient noise reduced substantially. I sometimes just have them on without any sound and find I can sleep so much better on long flights to Europe and Asia.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Currently on the long slog back from NZ to France.
2x12hr flights, big layover in between and then an overnight train. I'm travelling back in time but still somehow arriving three days after I left.

I feel invincible and destroyed at the same time. :laugh:
If you don't mind, may I ask the route? Feels like I could get to NZ from here in about 18 hours flight time, so your flights leave me confused (I know you're going to France, not here, but still...).

Reactions: flyingkiwi

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
If you don't mind, may I ask the route? Feels like I could get to NZ from here in about 18 hours flight time, so your flights leave me confused (I know you're going to France, not here, but still...).

Yeah that's about right, 12 hours or so across the Pacific to either LA/SF/Vancouver from Auckland then onward to your Canadian city of choice.

To get to Europe (Paris at least, I imagine the other major western European cities are similar) it doesn't really matter which way around the globe you go, North America or East Asia will get you 2x12h flights, and via the Middle East will have you on a mammoth 17h and then another 7h one.

On this trip I'm travelling via Seoul. Going to NZ I took a high speed train from my city to Paris, and in both Paris and Seoul my layovers were only a couple hours each, enough to eat and get through security really. In NZ my family doesn't live far from the airport and I think I timed the whole thing door to door at about 36 hours.

For the return ticket I selected a much longer layover so I could get out on one of the free transit tours they offer. Unfortunately I didn't think it through and my flight leaves a bit too early tomorrow morning for me to make it back in time so I'm just camping out in the terminal.

Basically I'm taking the night train because it's 30€ and will get me very close to my house. It's back to school on Monday and prices on both flights and regular high speed trains were through the roof when I needed to book a couple months back. I'll be wrecked either way so I quite like the idea of hopefully arriving in my city on some decent sleep.

TL,DR: I booked long ass connections

Reactions: buggs

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yup, haven't been to the US in 17 years and never going back. Too messed up.
I think it all depends on where in the U.S. you go. We have friends in Ohio and have always enjoyed our visits there. Haven't been since 2018, but that's still a lot more recent than 17 years ago.

Michigan, and especially Detroit which we pass through on our way to OH seems to be a bit of a mess.

That said, Canada seems like it's on its way towards "messed up" in various ways. In terms of infrastructure, the infrastructure in Poland (which my family recently visited earlier this year) was much much better (and newer) than Canada. Copious public transit available everywhere that you could set your watch to, fabulous highways.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I think it all depends on where in the U.S. you go. We have friends in Ohio and have always enjoyed our visits there. Haven't been since 2018, but that's still a lot more recent than 17 years ago.

Michigan, and especially Detroit which we pass through on our way to OH seems to be a bit of a mess.

That said, Canada seems like it's on its way towards "messed up" in various ways. In terms of infrastructure, the infrastructure in Poland (which my family recently visited earlier this year) was much much better (and newer) than Canada. Copious public transit available everywhere that you could set your watch to, fabulous highways.

Have a colleague from Ohio and you couldn't pay him to move back. :laugh:

I felt similarly about the transport infrastructure at home. Going back to NZ this summer it was like I spent the entire six weeks in a car. Here I don't even own one. I think most of Europe eats most of NA/NZ/AU/SA for breakfast in this respect.

Reactions: imec

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I'm going to Vancouver for a girls trip and the Pink concert in October.
I haven't been many places. My only international travel has been with Holden aside from USA.

I have zero interest in going to the USA anymore.

Holden and I are doing our visit every CFL stadium. We didn't do one this year due to a new house, but we're hoping to do out east next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad