OT: TRAVEL

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Don't know if it counts as vacay - But have a business trip to Uzbekistan (Tasjkent) in 2 weeks - Will be my first time there. 3 days. Any recommendations? :laugh:

Reactions: 10Ducky10

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
When you live in SW France it's basically a holiday all year. :D

Currently best time of year to visit New Zealand imo, tail end of summer so all the schools and unis are back but the weather should be nice and settled. Shame I can only get back in winter time but we can hit 40 here in July-August now so it's nice to escape home every other year. Would love to add on Samoa to my next trip too.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
When you live in SW France it's basically a holiday all year. :D

Currently best time of year to visit New Zealand imo, tail end of summer so all the schools and unis are back but the weather should be nice and settled. Shame I can only get back in winter time but we can hit 40 here in July-August now so it's nice to escape home every other year. Would love to add on Samoa to my next trip too.
American Samoa/Samoa are on our bucket list for sure. There's a National Park in American Samoa that is part of the Hawaiian Islands Parks chain (jurisdictional) and if I can hit that I'll have been to all of the National Parks and Monuments in Hawaii.

We're looking at flying to Australia and then taking a repositioning cruise back to Hawaii. Gentler adjustment to the time change and if we plan it well, we'd hit at least something in Samoa and potential stops in Fiji, Tahiti and 3-4 stops on New Zealand. It's just a little taste, none of it doing justice to any location but some indication of whether a return is warranted or not. South Pacific is oddly expensive to get to from the middle of Canaduh.

Reactions: ps241 and 10Ducky10

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
American Samoa/Samoa are on our bucket list for sure. There's a National Park in American Samoa that is part of the Hawaiian Islands Parks chain (jurisdictional) and if I can hit that I'll have been to all of the National Parks and Monuments in Hawaii.

We're looking at flying to Australia and then taking a repositioning cruise back to Hawaii. Gentler adjustment to the time change and if we plan it well, we'd hit at least something in Samoa and potential stops in Fiji, Tahiti and 3-4 stops on New Zealand. It's just a little taste, none of it doing justice to any location but some indication of whether a return is warranted or not. South Pacific is oddly expensive to get to from the middle of Canaduh.

Sounds awesome, definitely a good idea to get a taste of where you might like to come back to. I grew up in Auckland so already immersed in a bunch of Pacific cultures from neighbours and schoolmates. I've done Rarotonga, Tahiti/Moorea and Fiji, loved them all. In all three we did a mix of staying with or renting accommodation from family or friends, as well as two smaller resorts in Fiji. For us it was a great balance between tourist mode and living like locals.

Hawaii doesn't quite have the same appeal. I think if I'm gonna spend USD, I'll see more of the mainland first.
I can also get low cost flights to Montreal or Toronto so praying that next year's away games fall during vacation time and I can see the Jets again. Winnipeg itself is a stretch because I think I'd pay the same again just to get there.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Sounds awesome, definitely a good idea to get a taste of where you might like to come back to. I grew up in Auckland so already immersed in a bunch of Pacific cultures from neighbours and schoolmates. I've done Rarotonga, Tahiti/Moorea and Fiji, loved them all. In all three we did a mix of staying with or renting accommodation from family or friends, as well as two smaller resorts in Fiji. For us it was a great balance between tourist mode and living like locals.

Hawaii doesn't quite have the same appeal. I think if I'm gonna spend USD, I'll see more of the mainland first.
I can also get low cost flights to Montreal or Toronto so praying that next year's away games fall during vacation time and I can see the Jets again. Winnipeg itself is a stretch because I think I'd pay the same again just to get there.

One of my favourite times in life was bouncing between the Greek Islands for two months when I was 29 years old. Honestly that has the dynamics of an unstructured cruise yet I have pushed back against cruises in my life. It is a great way to location hop and I really like the idea Buggs because you can see those four stops in one trip.

Buggs what volunteer work might you tackle in Hawaii? Is it to do with the Fires still.

Kiwi you have such a nomad lifestyle it’s quite appealing (spell checks to make sure there was no appalling auto correct).Your craziest adventure still has to be the Canadian prairies in the dead ass of winter 😂. Locals spend big money to escape it and you signed up for the “if my vehicle breaks down I freeze to death” tour T shirt. It still puts a smile on my face thinking of that trip but mostly your positive attitude about it.

HFBoards Jets is better off for it but that’s kind of the enduring, ongoing, hazing ritual, lute bag prize you got for the winter tour. Yea you escaped alive but your thank you prize is your new cell mate uncle Sip and his neurotic band of loonie brothers and sisters.

Last edited:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Kiwi you have such a nomad lifestyle it’s quite appealing (spell checks to make sure there was no appalling auto correct).Your craziest adventure still has to be the Canadian prairies in the dead ass of winter 😂. Locals spend big money to escape it and you signed up for the “if my vehicle breaks down I freeze to death” tour T shirt. It still puts a smile on my face thinking of that trip but mostly your positive attitude about it.

HFBoards Jets is better off for it but that’s kind of the enduring, ongoing, hazing ritual, lute bag prize you got for the winter tour. Yea you escaped alive but your thank you prize is your new cell mate uncle Sip and his neurotic band of loonie brothers and sisters.

That's one way to describe my Byfuglien jersey. And you are all my uncles.

And to be fair that trip also included Banff and New York City. :laugh:

But I also spent more time in Brandon than I did in Winnipeg so that evens it out I think. And if I hadn't had cheap/free accommodation in either place I wouldn't have gone at all, so I think my cheapness makes me an honorary Winnipegger just as much as my Jets fandom. Hell, it's why I live in France. Why make jack as a teacher in NZ when I can make even less here and live on it? :naughty:

I didn't have much in the way of winter gear so we got some boots and a jacket at Value Village where I'm sure they were returned after I left. It was also the year oil prices crashed so my piddly NZD went a lot further than I expected and I bought a bunch of computer parts on Amazon during the boxing week sales. And I may or may not have managed to convince the Canadian arm of the American company I worked for the New Zealand arm of to give me my staff discount.

Speaking of Boxing Day, that was the day we drove back from Banff, stopping in Medicine Hat? I think it was for lunch. Went for a wee at a shopping mall and I to this day I have never seen that much camo in one place. Other Alberta highlights include all of the silly generic names for their bottle shops and discovering both Duck Dynasty and the crackling fireplace setting on the hotel TV. We stopped overnight in some tiny Saskatchewan town then had McDonald's for lunch in Regina. Did not know that's how you pronounce it.

It blew my little Kiwi brain to drive two days in a straight line and see absolutely nothing on the horizon except the odd double decker train. It also blew my mind how long you could get stuck in traffic waiting for one. Snow is also very bizarre. I don't like how it doesn't make noise when it falls. The way it makes the streets quieter is also quite strange (tho maybe that's just Brandon), but also kinda nice (also Brandon- but omg why can't the trains go around the town?). When you come from a city that's lucky to go below zero once a year, saying you've experienced -40 is quite the brag. But so is being able to use your garden shed as a freezer. And on the day it hit -50 I wasn't allowed outside.

Other highlights that I have mentioned here over the years:
-PIEROGI <3
-7-Eleven wings + wedges combo and you bet I had a million slurpees like the good honorary Winnipegger I am.

Basically the prairies are as exotic to me as the South Pacific is to you lot.

Would I do it all again?
If someone else pays, sure. :laugh:

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Buggs what volunteer work might you tackle in Hawaii? Is it to do with the Fires still.
We don't know yet. I should know better than to look at social media for, well, anything. But the information is ever confusing. Most Hawaiians fall into one of two camps - they either accept tourists or loathe them. The Islands need the tourist dollars but the impact on the locals is massive. I fully recognize I'm Haole in their eyes, but we are respectful and cautious always.

So yes, to do with the fires but uncertain as to what opportunities may realistically be available. Much talk about the zone being 'toxic' so not sure they'd even let us in. We'll examine once we arrive.

What we will do otherwise is stay away from the west side of the island and not contribute to congestion or otherwise. Stay down south, contribute our dollars to local businesses as best we can and soak up some sun, snorkel a lot, play in the waves and drink bevvies while watching the sunset.

Reactions: ps241

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Heading to California shortly. Not sure I can watch the Jets because ESPN+ won't accept my USD Canadian Credit Card as payment.:madfire::madfire::madfire:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Coming back home in June. Week trip out to the Okanagan to see some friends and the rest of the in Peg City catching up with people and resting, maybe a few days out at Winnipeg Beach or Grand Beach. I really miss the lakes.

Can't wait!

Grand Beach is my favorite.

It's too bad the trains no longer run there.

IMG_8271.jpg

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Heading to California shortly. Not sure I can watch the Jets because ESPN+ won't accept my USD Canadian Credit Card as payment.:madfire::madfire::madfire:
Nhlwebcast anywhere

The south shore of Lake Winnipeg has the nicest beaches.
You can only get there by boat.
Wait and see what 300 million litres of raw sewage and chemicals do compliments from the City of Winnipeg

Reactions: 10Ducky10

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I'm in south Florida (Hallandale) for a few days with fam, staying in a nice place, gifted by a friend.
- nice weather, so far. It'll do. :)

Fish-centric comment:
- Watched a couple of massive tarpon hanging out near the jetty, proximal to our condo... and these are some impressive fish - they resemble a water borne ICBMs - some around 5 feet in length.

I've got to study up on their biology, see whats up.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Off To Ottawa Mon-Wed, then LA for a conference 10 days later, then Big White for family skiing week this month so business, PD, family recreation at spring break. I usually fly Air Canada but Westjet has been kicking the shit out of AC as far as flight prices go this month. I can fly premium direct to Ottawa for cheaper than economy non direct on AC.

Great Photos of Ronda Spain @imec I travelled through there a life time ago.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Awesome @imec

Ronda and Andalusia in general on the Spain list but still haven't made it there. I keep going to the Basque Country instead whenever I can squeeze it in. I'm making good friends there and am even starting to pick up the language so really trying to make the most of it. It also looks a lot like New Zealand which helps!

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Awesome @imec

Ronda and Andalusia in general on the Spain list but still haven't made it there. I keep going to the Basque Country instead whenever I can squeeze it in. I'm making good friends there and am even starting to pick up the language so really trying to make the most of it. It also looks a lot like New Zealand which helps!
Fantastic country. I’ve yet to see the Basque country.
IMG_0777.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4