OT: TRAVEL

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
So, I thought I would start a thread considering how many comments were made and were disrupting the other threads.
Comment about a trip or country or anything like that that you want to comment on. Things to watch for or cost of living in certain areas.
Not sure if we can get it pinned?

Been outdoors a LOT in my life and have seen a LOT of neat things but I've got to say, snorkeling off of Belize was fricking amazing.
Jumping out of the boat that is surrounded by nurse sharks to seeing manta rays all over the place (big ones) to Loggerhead turtles, eels, lobsters and schools of fish that were so amazing looking. Another thing I didn't realize was how many different types of coral there are and how neat they look. It looked like something from out of this world.
I wanted to cancel fishing the next day and go back snorkeling but the better half talked me out of it...probably knew she was going to catch a barracuda the next day!

We spent about 6 days on Caye Caulker, a small island a short boat ride away from Belize City and a 20 minute boat ride away from world class snorkeling and fishing. No cars allowed on the island...just bicycles and electric golf carts. Fishing was great and there is a really laid back vibe on the island.
Then we went to San Ignacio (Cayo) for about 6 days and did a lot of tours from here including one into Tikal, Guatemala for some Mayan ruins where we also saw Spider monkeys and heard Howler monkeys.
Then it was on to Crooked Tree Bird sanctuary to relax and bird watch for the last 6 days of our trip. Amazing food and hospitality and a really interesting part of the country. Lots of Howler and spider monkeys around this area as well.
Hoping to go back in a couple of years to see the southern part of Belize. This trip was Feb-March of 2012.

Come on peeps, tell us about your travels or where you want to travel?
Has anyone done any traveling around Laos/Cambodia that could answer some questions?

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I have a question, but maybe it’s moreso a wishful comment than anything. Any idea if they’ll bring back direct flights from Winnipeg to Mexican destinations Huatulco and Ixtapa? Sunwing had weekly direct flights to both destinations during winter months in past years, but once the pandemic started they haven’t brought the direct flights back. I recognize Sunwing has had financial troubles and recently got bought out by Westjet… so *maybe* these direct flights will come back in next few years? (Fingers crossed)

Reactions: imec and 10Ducky10

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Greetings from Churchill!
20230717_111601.jpg

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I have a question, but maybe it’s moreso a wishful comment than anything. Any idea if they’ll bring back direct flights from Winnipeg to Mexican destinations Huatulco and Ixtapa? Sunwing had weekly direct flights to both destinations during winter months in past years, but once the pandemic started they haven’t brought the direct flights back. I recognize Sunwing has had financial troubles and recently got bought out by Westjet… so *maybe* these direct flights will come back in next few years? (Fingers crossed)
The amount of direct flights (flights only) from Winnipeg have been decreasing for 7 or 8 years now if you ask me. You use to always see direct flights to MX but not so much anymore. Unsure of why as it started pre-pandemic.

The last few times we flew to MX, we had stops in Calgary and another time in Denver. Not a biggie for me as long as I don't have to over night at the stop over. Avs weren't playing so couldn't go to a game.

Reactions: imec

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
At some point, I'd like to check out Belize as a vacation. Maybe even a few times, so I can check out some of the less touristy spots. It's one of the places I'm considering retiring to at the moment.

Not set in stone though. I figure I have well over a decade before I should consider stuff like that, so things may change.

Another potential contender is in Eastern Europe, where Mrs. Jetson is from (and where my parents were born). Good cost of living and I can speak the local dialects already. There's still snow though, blech :laugh:

Regardless, I don't have the time nor finds to go anywhere fancy at the moment, but hopefully in retirement *knock on wood*

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I did a three week trip to Europe 10 years ago. Just me and my best friend. Landed in Brussels with just a backpack, eurorail pass, one night hotel booked in Belgium and tickets to Spa and Monza for F1 races. Every day was by the seat of our pants and Expedia app to get cheap hotels near the train stations in whatever town we ended our days at. Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Italy.

Favourite stops were the Cologne Dom in Germany, WWII walking tour in Berlin, Austrian Alps and the two F1 races. By far my favourite city, and we almost didn’t go was Prague. Saw a champions league soccer match and the Charles bridge area was amazing. We even saw a Pavelic national team jersey hanging in a store window.

Prague. The most affordable amazing city in Europe based on where I have been. Civitecchia Italy, right on the Mediterranean and birthplace of Da Vinci was a great side trek after Pompeii as well!

Great new thread!

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii
I like this thread too.
I would say, friends, if you’re ever considering heading southwest to some islands in the pacific (not named Vancouver), rather than east or straight south, hit me up. Hopefully I can provide you at least a little insight into what you’re looking for.

I haven’t been to all the islands, but I can say, I’m pretty fond of this one. If you like the laid back nature of Belize but want to use cars and speak English, come visit Kauai for a spell, or Big Island. (Avoid Maui and Oahu though… it’s like living in Winnipeg, but with worse traffic and construction and it’s the middle of summer all the time.)

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Heading to the Philippines with my wife and daughter in October for 3 weeks(wife was born there). We went together once before 4 years ago. Spending most of our time with her family in Cavite but are also going to spend a few days in Boracay which is beautiful. Likely also going to visit Tagaytay and Batangas while were there. Just hope i dont melt. The heat and humidity there is something else lol.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I did a three week trip to Europe 10 years ago. Just me and my best friend. Landed in Brussels with just a backpack, eurorail pass, one night hotel booked in Belgium and tickets to Spa and Monza for F1 races. Every day was by the seat of our pants and Expedia app to get cheap hotels near the train stations in whatever town we ended our days at. Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Italy.

Favourite stops were the Cologne Dom in Germany, WWII walking tour in Berlin, Austrian Alps and the two F1 races. By far my favourite city, and we almost didn’t go was Prague. Saw a champions league soccer match and the Charles bridge area was amazing. We even saw a Pavelic national team jersey hanging in a store window.

Prague. The most affordable amazing city in Europe based on where I have been. Civitecchia Italy, right on the Mediterranean and birthplace of Da Vinci was a great side trek after Pompeii as well!

Great new thread!
Man i love Europe. I spent a few weeks there with a couple buddies about 15 years ago. Started in Paris, then made our way to Rome, then Pompeii, Vienna, and ended in Berlin. Each place was amazing but Rome was probably my favorite. Im big into history and its freaking everywhere. Need to go back at some point and see more of it. My wife is definitely on board lol. If i has the money i'd be there right now!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I haven’t been to all the islands, but I can say, I’m pretty fond of this one. If you like the laid back nature of Belize but want to use cars and speak English, come visit Kauai for a spell, or Big Island. (Avoid Maui and Oahu though… it’s like living in Winnipeg, but with worse traffic and construction and it’s the middle of summer all the time.)
English is the national language of Belize.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
English is the national language of Belize.

That's one of the reasons I was leaning it as a retirement option :)

I like this thread too.
I would say, friends, if you’re ever considering heading southwest to some islands in the pacific (not named Vancouver), rather than east or straight south, hit me up. Hopefully I can provide you at least a little insight into what you’re looking for.

I'll have to at least consider Kauai as a possibility, thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: imec

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great I idea for a new dedicated thread @10Ducky10

I have been to Europe about 8 times but the last 5 were more golfing type trips. When I was in my 20’s I spent 6 months backpacking all over europe with the highlight being spending all of august and September in the Greek Islands. One of the best times of my life. Travelled to Japan and Thailand in 1989. Austrailia and New Zealand in 2005 ish. Chile in about 2010

Wish list

African safari (possibly Cape Town)
Argentina and Antartica
Europe with my two kids before they age out. Things they want to see.
Back to Japan for a more comprehensive trip
WW2 tour (Normandy Flanders field museum etc, Germany camps)
Italy in the hilltop towns and Tuscany.
Dubai
Israel (guided tour)
Alaska cruise
Way more research into immersive experience type tour events
I am buying/investing in a new project with buddies in Cabo and I will be spending about two weeks a year there when that project is complete (in three years)

Once my kids graduate I will start traveling allot more but between now and then I want to curate some cool travel moments with them.

Some of my greatest joys in life have come from travel especially pre internet cell phone.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just got back from a second trip to Scotland, just a beautiful country and the history of some of the castles and golf courses is just unbelievable. I have also been to Ireland and it was just as beautiful and amazing. Italy is next on the wish list. One thing about this last trip though was the time change coming home just kicked our butts for a couple of days.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

Great new thread!
Leonardo was not born in Civitavecchia. The connection with Civitavecchia is the port, it seems, but it is not certain, that it was he who designed and fortified the ancient port of Civitavecchia during one of his voyage.

Da Vinci means "From Vinci" and Vinci is the little town 50km near Firenze where he's born.

Reactions: imec and 10Ducky10

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
The amount of direct flights (flights only) from Winnipeg have been decreasing for 7 or 8 years now if you ask me. You use to always see direct flights to MX but not so much anymore. Unsure of why as it started pre-pandemic.

The last few times we flew to MX, we had stops in Calgary and another time in Denver. Not a biggie for me as long as I don't have to over night at the stop over. Avs weren't playing so couldn't go to a game.
Actually, now that we are emerging from the pandemic, Winnipeg is/will be getting more non-stop flights coming, including the re-establishment of the UA flights to Chicago and Denver later this year, the upcoming Atlanta flight starting in September, a rumoured Boston or Detroit flight, and with WestJet planning to establish Winnipeg as a crew base later this year, likely more non-stop flights will be established as well, possibly even a European flight.

I have a connection who has a connection with WAA, and so far he has been fairly accurate in his statements/predictions.

To hell with being funnelled through Calgary (seriously, how many bloody flights do we need to flippin' Calgary?!?!?!?). I'm excited about the future of WAA 🙂

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I like this thread too.

We've been to Hawaii most years since the early 2000s. The Big Island is awesome, but we still really like Maui. The catch for us though is we typically travel to it at less traditional times. It's probably too early for most of us in Winnipeg as it won't break up the winter, but going in November prior to U.S. Thanksgiving and it is absolutely amazing. No one is there other than the locals. Beaches are largely empty except for the weekend. Food prices, clothing prices and everything else is cheaper than it is during busier times of the year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, January/February). Maui is now what Oahu was in 1990.

Oahu is crazy busy and hard to believe but I got stuck on the only Freeway in Hawaii for an hour but it did happen. North Shore remains great and the east side of the island is less crowded but the most touristy of the islands by far. Still, I like getting to the Island every so often as I love visiting Pearl Harbor. Very humbling experience.

Big Island is sort of like Maui was around 2000, so long as you stay out of Kona for most of the time. It's probably our favorite for the diversity of things you can see and do, but you definitely need a car.

Kauai we'll visit for the first time this fall. We had it booked in 2017 but couldn't go due to health concerns.

That's one of the reasons I was leaning it as a retirement option :)

I'll have to at least consider Kauai as a possibility, thanks for the suggestion!
Retirement options:
Belize
Panama
Costa Rica

Colombia is big on all the online lists as well, but I can't shake certain images from my mind. I'm also a little concerned about stability of governments in South America at the moment.

Would love to consider Kauai but costs would be prohibitive IMO.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

If you travel with kids… direct flight is ideal.

There’s definitely less direct flights from Winnipeg to quite a few sun destinations. Cuba and Dominican there’s less. I “think” there used to be 3 flights weekly to Jamaica and now there’s 1. Bahamas had direct flights for a little while, but they stopped early Winter one season and then the hurricane happened… so there was no hope of that one coming back anytime soon.

Air Canada is a big part of the exodus. They have one or maybe 2 weekly flights to Cancun. Don’t think they have any others in Mexico/Caribbean.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Actually, now that we are emerging from the pandemic, Winnipeg is/will be getting more non-stop flights coming, including the re-establishment of the UA flights to Chicago and Denver later this year, the upcoming Atlanta flight starting in September, a rumoured Boston or Detroit flight, and with WestJet planning to establish Winnipeg as a crew base later this year, likely more non-stop flights will be established as well, possibly even a European flight.

I have a connection who has a connection with WAA, and so far he has been fairly accurate in his statements/predictions.

To hell with being funnelled through Calgary (seriously, how many bloody flights do we need to flippin' Calgary?!?!?!?). I'm excited about the future of WAA 🙂

This is encouraging and might tip the scales for me using Westjet allot more. The lack of direct flights coming out of Covid has been pretty tough just because connections have become less reliable.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We've been to Hawaii most years since the early 2000s. The Big Island is awesome, but we still really like Maui. The catch for us though is we typically travel to it at less traditional times. It's probably too early for most of us in Winnipeg as it won't break up the winter, but going in November prior to U.S. Thanksgiving and it is absolutely amazing. No one is there other than the locals. Beaches are largely empty except for the weekend. Food prices, clothing prices and everything else is cheaper than it is during busier times of the year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, January/February). Maui is now what Oahu was in 1990.

Oahu is crazy busy and hard to believe but I got stuck on the only Freeway in Hawaii for an hour but it did happen. North Shore remains great and the east side of the island is less crowded but the most touristy of the islands by far. Still, I like getting to the Island every so often as I love visiting Pearl Harbor. Very humbling experience.

Big Island is sort of like Maui was around 2000, so long as you stay out of Kona for most of the time. It's probably our favorite for the diversity of things you can see and do, but you definitely need a car.

Kauai we'll visit for the first time this fall. We had it booked in 2017 but couldn't go due to health concerns.

Retirement options:
Belize
Panama
Costa Rica

Colombia is big on all the online lists as well, but I can't shake certain images from my mind. I'm also a little concerned about stability of governments in South America at the moment.

Before I was 30 I was a bit of a travel cool kid wannabe who thought Hawaii was a bit too main steam touristy. I finally had to go for a wedding in my 40’s and boy was I wrong. If I had to pick one place as the most beautiful in the world that I have seen I think I would go with Hawaii. I want to get my family there for 10 to 14 days soon. I keep getting push back but I have to make it happen.

One of the layers I would like to add to my eventual travel routine is at least 1 month a year in Hawaii. I just need to get over more to figure out where I might chose as my home base?

Reactions: imec and buggs

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Retirement options:
Belize
Panama
Costa Rica

Hawaii is one of my favorite destinations.

I really enjoy the Big Island.

I've been to Kauai and found the weather cooler and wetter than the other islands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad