OT: TRAVEL

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ve always been a bit of a cruise lover. I know that there are some people who live year-round on cruise ships and it’s surprisingly affordable.
You can do it for under $30,000 a year and that includes lodging and all the food you can imagine.
Something I’d definitely consider in the future for a year or two.
That would be quite a planning exercise - especially trying to keep it under $30k. I guess $100/night per person is within reason...? So $36500/year per person.

Do a couple of repositioning cruises a year to knock about 4 weeks off for cheap (those repo cruises are usually long and pretty inexpensive).

I think there would be times when things would get expensive in the high season. You might have to switch ports or stay a couple of nights on land. Might get tired of the same ports over and over as well...

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Living on a cruise ship for a year? How the hell does that work??
Living on a cruise ship for a year? How the hell does that work??

There are a lot of 7 days cruises for under $500 per week. You could cruise around the Caribbean and Central America for the winter months and then reposition and do some west coast cruising and Alaska in the summer. All of those you can do for under $500 per week per person.
Then reposition to Austrailia where you can cruise for around $400 per week.
Those areas would allow you to cruise all year for around $26,000 usd per year. Not in a fancy cabin but you don’t do much but sleep and a few other things in the cabin anyway.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Used to live in Asia for 5 years. Now in Vancouver. Don’t like travelling far away anymore.

Bought a Tesla a few years back and really enjoy camping road trips.

Reactions: imec

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
53 and would like to retire by 60. biggest issue is i added a 6 year-old to the 16=18 year-olds and I'm really not sure how to retire with a 13 year-old in the house...limits mobility.

I am thinking a lot about it and believe I would like something coastal, but not too hot, in Europe. the idea of taking a train to a different part of Europe for 3-4 days every month really appeals. not sure i want to be stuck in a hot clime with a pretty nice, but monotonous routine. I had a back and forth with ChatGPT a couple of months ago, and it recommended Biarritz in the Basque region of France. Cheap to visit, but real estate still looks pretty expensive.

my dream is Pennard area of south Wales....ancestral home, great active living environment. My wife is not keen. compromise might be Victoria for youngest's school years, then abroad afterwards. (will likely keep coming back to Manitoba/LOTW for summers for as long as I am able.

Yeah wouldn't bother with Biarritz... I mean the beach is kinda nice, but it's overrun with foreigners to the point where the local charm and culture is really under threat. Vacant secondary residences are a pretty thorny issue all over the Northern (French) Basque Country, so I wouldn't go there unless you plan to live year-round and really integrate.

I live two departments north in Gironde and can recommend it. We've got some nice beaches, and from Bordeaux you're a 2hr train ride from Paris and 2hrs from the Basque Country and Spanish border in the opposite direction. The Pyrenees aren't too far either. Since they put in the high-speed train they've been complaining about Parisians driving up house prices but overall foreigners and secondary residences are less of a divisive issue. The neighbouring Dordogne, Landes, Charente and Charente Maritime departments are also nice, and there's cheap housing to be had if you're willing to buy a project home.

Overall, SW France offers a lot of good options for all different stages of life - I'm only in my mid-late 20s, no family, and I find there's plenty to do and a lot of other people in my demographic. My parents are about to retire in NZ, so in about 15 years I'll need to move back to be with them, but if the world doesn't end in the next 40 years, I'll be retiring in France or Spain.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
53 and would like to retire by 60. biggest issue is i added a 6 year-old to the 16=18 year-olds and I'm really not sure how to retire with a 13 year-old in the house...limits mobility.

I am thinking a lot about it and believe I would like something coastal, but not too hot, in Europe. the idea of taking a train to a different part of Europe for 3-4 days every month really appeals. not sure i want to be stuck in a hot clime with a pretty nice, but monotonous routine. I had a back and forth with ChatGPT a couple of months ago, and it recommended Biarritz in the Basque region of France. Cheap to visit, but real estate still looks pretty expensive.

my dream is Pennard area of south Wales....ancestral home, great active living environment. My wife is not keen. compromise might be Victoria for youngest's school years, then abroad afterwards. (will likely keep coming back to Manitoba/LOTW for summers for as long as I am able.

Yea I started my family when I was 50 (you can’t make this shit up) and I don’t want to retire until my daughter graduates. She is going into grade 6. When I say retire It doesn’t matter as far as work goes. Today If I wanted I could move around as much as I want and live all over the place while working except I am raising kids and love being around them so it is what it is.

No regrets though raising kids is the best thing I have done in my life.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah wouldn't bother with Biarritz... I mean the beach is kinda nice, but it's overrun with foreigners to the point where the local charm and culture is really under threat. Vacant secondary residences are a pretty thorny issue all over the Northern (French) Basque Country, so I wouldn't go there unless you plan to live year-round and really integrate.

I live two departments north in Gironde and can recommend it. We've got some nice beaches, and from Bordeaux you're a 2hr train ride from Paris and 2hrs from the Basque Country and Spanish border in the opposite direction. The Pyrenees aren't too far either. Since they put in the high-speed train they've been complaining about Parisians driving up house prices but overall foreigners and secondary residences are less of a divisive issue. The neighbouring Dordogne, Landes, Charente and Charente Maritime departments are also nice, and there's cheap housing to be had if you're willing to buy a project home.

Overall, SW France offers a lot of good options for all different stages of life - I'm only in my mid-late 20s, no family, and I find there's plenty to do and a lot of other people in my demographic. My parents are about to retire in NZ, so in about 15 years I'll need to move back to be with them, but if the world doesn't end in the next 40 years, I'll be retiring in France or Spain.

Noted and thank you for sharing. Where can you get this type of inside information but HFJets?!

Reactions: flyingkiwi

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I have a question, but maybe it’s moreso a wishful comment than anything. Any idea if they’ll bring back direct flights from Winnipeg to Mexican destinations Huatulco and Ixtapa? Sunwing had weekly direct flights to both destinations during winter months in past years, but once the pandemic started they haven’t brought the direct flights back. I recognize Sunwing has had financial troubles and recently got bought out by Westjet… so *maybe* these direct flights will come back in next few years? (Fingers crossed)
I read today that WestJet is adding a direct flight to Huatulco.

Reactions: wpgfishfan

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
What would really be nice is a single solitary direct flight to Europe somewhere. London, AMS, Frankfurt, Paris.

Actually, KLM kicked Westjet out of YYC>AMS, I wonder if they'd accept YWG>AMS.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I don't believe so.

Not many direct flights anywhere out of Winnipeg other than within Canada if that link can be believed. Part of the reason we're also considering retiring to southern Alberta (outside of Calgary to the south/southwest).

Covid certainly didn't do us any favors and we haven't bounced back yet. Also not convinced that link is entirely correct - we can't fly direct any more to Chicago? Really? I know we lost Denver.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Not many direct flights anywhere out of Winnipeg other than within Canada if that link can be believed. Part of the reason we're also considering retiring to southern Alberta (outside of Calgary to the south/southwest).

Covid certainly didn't do us any favors and we haven't bounced back yet. Also not convinced that link is entirely correct - we can't fly direct any more to Chicago? Really? I know we lost Denver.
There aren't any direct flight to Denver anymore?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
There aren't any direct flight to Denver anymore?
Made me go look, was going off memory.

I was correct, no direct flights to Denver. United Airlines dropped the service in 2021, at the same time as they dropped the direct to Chicago flight. We are left with:

Minneapolis direct (Delta)
Las Vegas direct (Westjet)
Lost Angeles (Westjet)

That is it.

Spent some time googling repositioning cruises. I'm probably not in the know on them, but straightforward search showed some really interesting stuff. Never very long at a port of call, but that shouldn't be a surprise I suspect (never been on a cruise). $16K/person 77 day world cruises?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

I was correct, no direct flights to Denver. United Airlines dropped the service in 2021, at the same time as they dropped the direct to Chicago flight. We are left with:

Lost Angeles (Westjet)

That is it.

Spent some time googling repositioning cruises. I'm probably not in the know on them, but straightforward search showed some really interesting stuff. Never very long at a port of call, but that shouldn't be a surprise I suspect (never been on a cruise). $16K/person 77 day world cruises?

United abandoning the Winnipeg to Chicago route has been tough. We’ve had 4 staff trying to get to and from Chicago over the last week and it has been a nightmare. Tons of mechanical problems. In one instance the pilot refused to fly the plane because he thought it was dangerous. Their solution was to find another pilot who would.
The next day it landed in Winnipeg with a panel of the wing that had fallen off.

And ironically enough, I’m sitting here in Chicago waiting for a flight to Minneapolis and they just announced that the flight will be delayed over an hour because of “mechanical issues”.
Do I even dare step on this flight????

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
United abandoning the Winnipeg to Chicago route has been tough. We’ve had 4 staff trying to get to and from Chicago over the last week and it has been a nightmare. Tons of mechanical problems. In one instance the pilot refused to fly the plane because he thought it was dangerous. Their solution was to find another pilot who would.
The next day it landed in Winnipeg with a panel of the wing that had fallen off.

And ironically enough, I’m sitting here in Chicago waiting for a flight to Minneapolis and they just announced that the flight will be delayed over an hour because of “mechanical issues”.
Do I even dare step on this flight????

Are you kidding me!?! :eek:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Haha. Yup. None other.
I just landed in Minneapolis and it was an 8 hour flight from Chicago. LOL. With a 6.5 hour stop in Rochester MN to refuel. It’s a long story - that just adds to the most ridiculous travel week ever.
And of course my connection to Winnipeg now was supposed to leave at 9:50. Now it’s midnight.
I fully expect it to be cancelled.
But I am very thankful for Amex lounges! There’s always a bright side I guess.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Lost Angeles (Westjet)

That is it.

Nothing to Orlando?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

WestJet has direct flights to PV in season, ~Nov to April. A little over 4.5 hours and Mexico is a great place to live over the winter, with relatively inexpensive, high quality private health care.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
WestJet has direct flights to PV in season, ~Nov to April. A little over 4.5 hours and Mexico is a great place to live over the winter, with relatively inexpensive, high quality private health care.
Do they have flights only or flights with your all inclusive?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad