Jul 20, 2004
Florida
20230907_194547.jpg

Good evening from Manila!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We usually go away for 3 weeks but this year we are only going away for a one week. Does anybody have any suggestions? Cannot have precipitation, can't have cold.
Edit ... end of February or beginning of March.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
We usually go away for 3 weeks but this year we are only going away for a one week. Does anybody have any suggestions? Cannot have precipitation, can't have cold.
Same boat, entirely unsure of where to go on vacation. Contemplating Cuba - still relatively inexpensive. Not sure about zero precip though. Not cold.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Same boat, entirely unsure of where to go on vacation. Contemplating Cuba - still relatively inexpensive. Not sure about zero precip though. Not cold.
Try and go every winter and have always had nice weather, knock on wood.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It is high on the list. Great birding but iffy fishing. Last time we went was for 20 days and loved it. Little chance of rain there. The problem is deciding which part of Cuba to visit. Been to Vinales, the Bay of Pigs and Havana...would like to try somewhere different.
The states probably won't happen due to the exchange rate.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Bumping this for a couple of reasons.
Where's everyone been so far this winter?

I am planning a trip in August/September to Newfoundland for 9 days.
If anyone has any recommendations for a guide for fishing it would be appreciated.
Also, is there anywhere we should make sure we see?

Reactions: macmaroon

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We've been to Hawaii most years since the early 2000s. The Big Island is awesome, but we still really like Maui. The catch for us though is we typically travel to it at less traditional times. It's probably too early for most of us in Winnipeg as it won't break up the winter, but going in November prior to U.S. Thanksgiving and it is absolutely amazing. No one is there other than the locals. Beaches are largely empty except for the weekend. Food prices, clothing prices and everything else is cheaper than it is during busier times of the year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, January/February). Maui is now what Oahu was in 1990.

Oahu is crazy busy and hard to believe but I got stuck on the only Freeway in Hawaii for an hour but it did happen. North Shore remains great and the east side of the island is less crowded but the most touristy of the islands by far. Still, I like getting to the Island every so often as I love visiting Pearl Harbor. Very humbling experience.

Big Island is sort of like Maui was around 2000, so long as you stay out of Kona for most of the time. It's probably our favorite for the diversity of things you can see and do, but you definitely need a car.

Kauai we'll visit for the first time this fall. We had it booked in 2017 but couldn't go due to health concerns.

Retirement options:
Belize
Panama
Costa Rica

Colombia is big on all the online lists as well, but I can't shake certain images from my mind. I'm also a little concerned about stability of governments in South America at the moment.

Would love to consider Kauai but costs would be prohibitive IMO.

My daughter has established her business and home in Costa Rica...

When retirement time comes... hit me up...

:)

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

If anyone has any recommendations for a guide for fishing it would be appreciated.
Haven't been anywhere this winter with the missus and I trading health issues. We used to travel a lot and loved Key West and also Rio and South Africa. Then we bought an upscale retirement home in Arizona and that was pretty much the kiss of death as far as travel went. Then Trump came along and Arizona turned ugly and then Covid came along and ....

Make a long story short, I've got a place in Scottsdale I can't even give away to my family. Have marked it down from 1.8 to 1.6 and it's still not selling. And we don't travel any more.

If you're going to the Rock make sure you see some of the little pubs on George Street in St. John. We hit a bunch of them over several visits and if you get there early evening and sip your beer slow and enjoy the music and real people, it's memories for your lifetime. Don't know if there still there but Birdies and YellowBelly we visited a few times and another great place called the Ship something or other. With things going strange and violent south of us, there's all sorts of places to visit in Canada and great scenery off the coast.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Can't comment on the fishing, but you should be able to get out and do some whale watching. We did a trip on the Bay of Fundy last Labour Day and got to see a bunch up close

Only time I had been before that was in Newfoundland when I was a kid. We went out of Bay Bulls.. I can't remember the charter but a Google search should set you up. It's a 100% must-do if you haven't

One of the most memorable moments we had on that trip was walking into a grocery store and seeing that they sold vats of whale blubber and seal-flipper pie. We live on the same planet as the Newfies, but in different worlds. Such incredibly warm and happy people

I absolutely love the east coast. I'm glad I can get out there regularly now that my daughter is in uni in Halifax

Reactions: ps241

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Haven't been anywhere this winter with the missus and I trading health issues. We used to travel a lot and loved Key West and also Rio and South Africa. Then we bought an upscale retirement home in Arizona and that was pretty much the kiss of death as far as travel went. Then Trump came along and Arizona turned ugly and then Covid came along and ....

Make a long story short, I've got a place in Scottsdale I can't even give away to my family. Have marked it down from 1.8 to 1.6 and it's still not selling. And we don't travel any more.

If you're going to the Rock make sure you see some of the little pubs on George Street in St. John. We hit a bunch of them over several visits and if you get there early evening and sip your beer slow and enjoy the music and real people, it's memories for your lifetime. Don't know if there still there but Birdies and YellowBelly we visited a few times and another great place called the Ship something or other. With things going strange and violent south of us, there's all sorts of places to visit in Canada and great scenery off the coast.
George Street is definitely on the list.

Reactions: Stumbledore

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Can't comment on the fishing, but you should be able to get out and do some whale watching. We did a trip on the Bay of Fundy last Labour Day and got to see a bunch up close

Only time I had been before that was in Newfoundland when I was a kid. We went out of Bay Bulls.. I can't remember the charter but a Google search should set you up. It's a 100% must-do if you haven't

One of the most memorable moments we had on that trip was walking into a grocery store and seeing that they sold vats of whale blubber and seal-flipper pie. We live on the same planet as the Newfies, but in different worlds. Such incredibly warm and happy people

I absolutely love the east coast. I'm glad I can get out there regularly now that my daughter is in uni in Halifax
Did you see any other types of whales than Humpbacks? I'm thinking we'll see whales while out fishing and bird watching.
Probably taking one of the charters out of Bay Bulls to look for puffins.
I agree about the people. I've worked with quite a few over the years and they're quality people.
I traded some moose pepperoni for canned caribou and rabbit years ago and it was excellent.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Did you see any other types of whales than Humpbacks? I'm thinking we'll see whales while out fishing and bird watching.
Probably taking one of the charters out of Bay Bulls to look for puffins.
I agree about the people. I've worked with quite a few over the years and they're quality people.
I traded some moose pepperoni for canned caribou and rabbit years ago and it was excellent.
Just humpbacks I believe. I seem to remember seeing puffins and maybe seals (definitely saw seals last year at the Bay of Fundy

One of these trips I plan on doing a shark charter. It's my easy coast "bucket list" fishing trip (the west coast one is Fraser River sturgeon)

Reactions: 10Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Just humpbacks I believe. I seem to remember seeing puffins and maybe seals (definitely saw seals last year at the Bay of Fundy

One of these trips I plan on doing a shark charter. It's my easy coast "bucket list" fishing trip (the west coast one is Fraser River sturgeon)
I'll be more than happy with a cod, flounder or mackerel.
You can't keep cod after the Labor Day weekend and we probably land on August 29th.
I've seen lots of Humpbacks but always enjoy seeing them. I'd like to see a different type if they are around at that time of year.

Reactions: Buffdog

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Way late response, but I will say I've always enjoyed Cuba, but am starting to sour on the place. It's always been a disaster, but was there last month and it's just getting worse. From the infrastructure to the shortages, it's getting hard to justify when you can do a place like Puerto Vallarta for the same $ or less.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Japan airlines has a big sale for Southeast Asia in November/december.

Gonna spend the family trip in mainly Pattaya. Cesspool of the orient but surprisingly the most family friendly location.

Lots of Russians (draft dodgers - potentially over a million ) in Thailand these days. Some islands completely overrun by comrades.

• Wow
Reactions: Channelcat

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Mallard Cottage in St Johns is one of the more memorable dining experiences I have had. Really cool history and vibe and the food bevi's were excellent. You don't want to miss it.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Off to Maui in mid-March. Had some vacation I had to use up or lose and my wife tells me I need a vacation and that's I'd just be grumpy if I stayed in Winnipeg. She's not wrong.

We'll stay away from Lahaina unless we decide to go up and volunteer for a day or two, but I'm not yet sure whether we'd just be getting in the way.

If it ends up I'm just snorkeling every morning and drinking Mai Tai's every night watching the sunset, I'll likely be ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00