OT: TRAVEL

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Before I was 30 I was a bit of a travel cool kid wannabe who thought Hawaii was a bit too main steam touristy. I finally had to go for a wedding in my 40’s and boy was I wrong. If I had to pick one place as the most beautiful in the world that I have seen I think I would go with Hawaii. I want to get my family there for 10 to 14 days soon. I keep getting push back but I have to make it happen.

One of the layers I would like to add to my eventual travel routine is at least 1 month a year in Hawaii. I just need to get over more to figure out where I might chose as my home base?
Depends what you want for your 1 month. Just idyllic relaxation with a modicum of conveniences? Kauai is probably your answer. I expect it's the right answer almost regardless of the question.

I first went to Hawaii with my parents in 1974 and again in 1976. Think first iteration of Hawaii 5-0. Crowded didn't mean crowded, even on Oahu. Makaha beach seemed a million miles away and utterly remote, never mind the North Shore. Now it's nearly continual housing to Makaha.

I next went in 1988 on my way to Australia and we only spent 4 days on Oahu. It had morphed very much into a big city by that point. Next time I was on Oahu was around 2008 I think and that's when my Freeway story happened and the housing extended to Makaha.

I did a day on Maui with my parents on that 1976 trip and there was nothing really in comparison to then "bustling" Oahu. It was remote, Lahaina was quaint, Kaanapali and Kapalua likely existed as cane fields and not much more. I returned to Maui in 2002, staying in Kihei and it reminded me a lot of Oahu sometime in the interim between 1976 and 1988. It was still easy to get around but lots of development had occurred. Felt nice to be there, small, personal, locals didn't fully resent you for being Haole. Now it is very busy, notably in season (which is American Thanksgiving, December 15-end of February, summer months for those from south mainland where it is too hot). On our most recent trip last Christmas it was very busy, with plenty of traffic and beaches were crowded (well, those that are easiest to access for tourists anyway; if you know where to go it's not that tough to find nice, uncrowded beaches, even at Christmas). So at this point, much as I love Maui, it is very much looking more and more like Oahu.

The Big Island is big, very big. Where we typically stay is about 30 minutes north of Kona. But it's 2 hours drive from Volcano National Park, regardless of which route you take. It is incredibly varied in terrain and temperature with tons and tons to do and see. But you need a car, absolutely. Lots of great beaches, though it's harder and harder to get to some of them because of the exclusive/expensive communities being built near them. This has long been the case but it is expanding. If you like the rain more, the Hilo side of the island might be for you - far less touristy, portions perpetually threatened by volcanic activity but very tropical, serene and peaceful. I would love to move there but it will never happen.

Kauai I've never been too (ask me in five months) but it is the least populated of the bunch and least visited. But it has a Costco, imminent sign of a pending downfall (I believe they are selling Brondo now). Very small island and winter is very wet for much of the island. Least safe island to swim at as well due to winter swells, currents, etc. though there are safe beaches of course. You can drown off any beach and many do on every island each year.

We had always thought of getting a condo in Hawaii (real estate doubled in Hawaii during the pandemic btw) but never took the plunge, largely because we didn't want a second full mortgage worth more than our current house - probably foolish in hindsight. For us the costs of spending 2-3 months there is probably prohibitive, even though we'd thoroughly enjoy it. And I'm not talking staying beachfront, this is well away in a residential setting. So now Central America is more where we're thinking due to affordability. Even Mexico is on the radar - I have a retired friend who rents a 3 bedroom condo in a gated community for ~1600 CAD/month, easily affordable for me.

We're still not sure if we'll stay in Canada or not once we retire. On this I'm talking permanently. There are a variety of reasons for that.

This is encouraging and might tip the scales for me using Westjet allot more. The lack of direct flights coming out of Covid has been pretty tough just because connections have become less reliable.
Don't get me started on Westjet....

AC is no different really, but my most recent disaster was Westjet.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Staying in a 300 year old farmhouse near Gaillac in southwestern France was a memorable week.

58AD8915-AAAE-4542-965E-24AFF3FF2C30.jpeg
B9C12503-7E8F-4294-8281-146334BEDC52.jpeg
8A8CAA9C-1A8E-4FFB-B92B-E54BEF6B913C.jpeg
192D8E59-E01C-4E85-BD2E-E83FA5832016.jpeg

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Retirement options:
Belize
Panama
Costa Rica

Colombia is big on all the online lists as well, but I can't shake certain images from my mind. I'm also a little concerned about stability of governments in South America at the moment.

Would love to consider Kauai but costs would be prohibitive IMO.

I will never be able to afford to retire in Canada. Self employed, no pension, wife is a stay-at-home mom. Only way I can see myself avoiding working until death is retirement to a country with much lower cost of living ... so I am always interested in hearing about the pros and cons of such destinations. Thinking of taking my wife for some vacations to check out some of these places in the coming years. What are the reasons you list the above places as retirement options?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Retirement options:
Belize
Panama
Costa Rica

Colombia is big on all the online lists as well, but I can't shake certain images from my mind. I'm also a little concerned about stability of governments in South America at the moment.

Would love to consider Kauai but costs would be prohibitive IMO.

I've heard about both Panama and Costa Rica also as good retirement spots. I guess the "I don't know a whole lot of Spanish" is currently my limiting factor (although Mrs. Jetson can understand Spanish from all the subtitled Telenovela's she watched when she was younger, lol).

I really should add them to the list and maybe start taking Spanish lessons.

Thanks for the options!

I will never be able to afford to retire in Canada. Self employed, no pension, wife is a stay-at-home mom. Only way I can see myself avoiding working until death is retirement to a country with much lower cost of living ... so I am always interested in hearing about the pros and cons of such destinations. Thinking of taking my wife for some vacations to check out some of these places in the coming years. What are the reasons you list the above places as retirement options?

I know you weren't asking me, but from what I have heard, these places have a lower cost of living than say Canada and there's a lot of ex-pats in these places (Canada, US, UK, Australia) so there's communities with English speaking people. And the official language in Belize is English, and most in the larger cities speak it, less so in the more rural areas.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Reactions: imec

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Leonardo was not born in Civitavecchia. The connection with Civitavecchia is the port, it seems, but it is not certain, that it was he who designed and fortified the ancient port of Civitavecchia during one of his voyage.

Da Vinci means "From Vinci" and Vinci is the little town 50km near Firenze where he's born.
This could certainly be correct…..it was a decade ago. Loved the tiny town on the great sea with the port / fort. I remember plaques referencing Da Vinci, but certainly could have just been referencing his contribution or time spent at the structure 😁

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I've heard about both Panama and Costa Rica also as good retirement spots. I guess the "I don't know a whole lot of Spanish" is currently my limiting factor (although Mrs. Jetson can understand Spanish from all the subtitled Telenovela's she watched when she was younger, lol).

I really should add them to the list and maybe start taking Spanish lessons.

Thanks for the options!

I know you weren't asking me, but from what I have heard, these places have a lower cost of living than say Canada and there's a lot of ex-pats in these places (Canada, US, UK, Australia) so there's communities with English speaking people. And the official language in Belize is English, and most in the larger cities speak it, less so in the more rural areas.
Some places in Panama can be pricey to retire to.
The Boquete area is a place that a lot of ex-pats seem to like. The climate hardly changes. Average high temps are 22-26 and lows are 14-15. It is not that long of a drive to a bigger city (David). Another area in Panama that I have looked at is Pedasi. Panama has a good health care system as well.
I could never live down there in the summer when it rains so much and I love MB summers.
After hunting and fishing is done and the nights start getting colder, I would be okay with leaving and coming back at the end of April. Open up the house, buy some plants and gear up for fishing season!

Ecuador intrigues me as well. Low cost of living and nice temps.
Argentina is crazy right now with their inflation rate going sky high.
A year ago there were something like 110 pesos in 1USD. Today it is 268 pesos and from what I have read, you can get over 330 pesos on the black market. I'm not sure how long this will last but we might check out Buenos Aires and Mendoza this winter for 16 days.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
A buddy of mine has been spending quite a bit of time in Roatan, Honduras. Just for fun, I looked at some house prices and it's very reasonable.

Seems to be an up and coming place for ex-pats to retire to. I may check it out this winter for a week or two

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
A buddy of mine has been spending quite a bit of time in Roatan, Honduras. Just for fun, I looked at some house prices and it's very reasonable.

Seems to be an up and coming place for ex-pats to retire to. I may check it out this winter for a week or two
A friend of mine has been there a couple of times. He really likes it.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
I ache in jealousy. We spent about 10 days south of there at Cap d'Agde which lived up to all our expectations, but now that I'm older and slower, your ancient farmhouse looks much more appealing. They do know how to set a table in France.
As we’ve aged, we very much enjoy slower travel where we get to soak in a bit of the local atmosphere/culture/experience. It was my dream to live in the French countryside for a week, buy the local food and wine and prepare it for my family. The reality surpassed all of our expectations. The cheese, the foie gras, the duck, the wine… man, I want to go back!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Depends what you want for your 1 month. Just idyllic relaxation with a modicum of conveniences? Kauai is probably your answer. I expect it's the right answer almost regardless of the question.

I first went to Hawaii with my parents in 1974 and again in 1976. Think first iteration of Hawaii 5-0. Crowded didn't mean crowded, even on Oahu. Makaha beach seemed a million miles away and utterly remote, never mind the North Shore. Now it's nearly continual housing to Makaha.

I next went in 1988 on my way to Australia and we only spent 4 days on Oahu. It had morphed very much into a big city by that point. Next time I was on Oahu was around 2008 I think and that's when my Freeway story happened and the housing extended to Makaha.

I did a day on Maui with my parents on that 1976 trip and there was nothing really in comparison to then "bustling" Oahu. It was remote, Lahaina was quaint, Kaanapali and Kapalua likely existed as cane fields and not much more. I returned to Maui in 2002, staying in Kihei and it reminded me a lot of Oahu sometime in the interim between 1976 and 1988. It was still easy to get around but lots of development had occurred. Felt nice to be there, small, personal, locals didn't fully resent you for being Haole. Now it is very busy, notably in season (which is American Thanksgiving, December 15-end of February, summer months for those from south mainland where it is too hot). On our most recent trip last Christmas it was very busy, with plenty of traffic and beaches were crowded (well, those that are easiest to access for tourists anyway; if you know where to go it's not that tough to find nice, uncrowded beaches, even at Christmas). So at this point, much as I love Maui, it is very much looking more and more like Oahu.

The Big Island is big, very big. Where we typically stay is about 30 minutes north of Kona. But it's 2 hours drive from Volcano National Park, regardless of which route you take. It is incredibly varied in terrain and temperature with tons and tons to do and see. But you need a car, absolutely. Lots of great beaches, though it's harder and harder to get to some of them because of the exclusive/expensive communities being built near them. This has long been the case but it is expanding. If you like the rain more, the Hilo side of the island might be for you - far less touristy, portions perpetually threatened by volcanic activity but very tropical, serene and peaceful. I would love to move there but it will never happen.

Kauai I've never been too (ask me in five months) but it is the least populated of the bunch and least visited. But it has a Costco, imminent sign of a pending downfall (I believe they are selling Brondo now). Very small island and winter is very wet for much of the island. Least safe island to swim at as well due to winter swells, currents, etc. though there are safe beaches of course. You can drown off any beach and many do on every island each year.

We had always thought of getting a condo in Hawaii (real estate doubled in Hawaii during the pandemic btw) but never took the plunge, largely because we didn't want a second full mortgage worth more than our current house - probably foolish in hindsight. For us the costs of spending 2-3 months there is probably prohibitive, even though we'd thoroughly enjoy it. And I'm not talking staying beachfront, this is well away in a residential setting. So now Central America is more where we're thinking due to affordability. Even Mexico is on the radar - I have a retired friend who rents a 3 bedroom condo in a gated community for ~1600 CAD/month, easily affordable for me.

We're still not sure if we'll stay in Canada or not once we retire. On this I'm talking permanently. There are a variety of reasons for that.

Don't get me started on Westjet....

AC is no different really, but my most recent disaster was Westjet.

Really great response with lots of detail

How are you planning to manage the health insurance if you move? I know I had a ring side seat with my dad and mom going to Arizona and eventually its the health that always ends The 6 month stays. The one good thing about not owning is that it allows you to be more free to move around and you don’t get locked in.

Just for fun I will steelman the ownership position though. One story I will share is when I was younger I bought a home in Scottsdale with some buddies. We split it four ways and fractionally owned everything. We split up the winter inventory into 3 week blocks and most of us took 2 x 3 weeks in the winter. So when you arrived at the airport you would have to shuttle to the house but when you arrived there was a nice new SUV and a fully functioning house with pool etc. So for 6 weeks every winter I was citizen of Scottsdale and I absolutely loved it. My son and first child was born during this era so my wife and I had this amazing opportunity to spend almost two months every winter just hanging out with the kid and going everywhere together. Eventually once the kids hit school age the arrangement didn’t work because we all needed the same blocks of time. We bought that home at the peak of the market and sold it in the great crash and lost half the value on the home. If you watch the movie the “Big Short” that prime meltdown happened right when we had to sell :laugh:.

However, even with losing half my investment value (one partner did the math and said we could have afforded to spend $1000 a night on a place and come out even) I look back and it was one of my best investments of my life. I got to pre retire (geographically) and get it out of the way before my kids got to school age. I had time with my family in the formative years raising my son that I will never forget and they were some of the best memories of my life. The fact it was there and I owned it forced me to use it and that is big. I have stuggled shaking my cheapness since I spent most of my years in a building stage of my business and lived really lean pre children always doubling down and pushing everything back into growing. Having the house forced me into something that was great, If I had to cut a cheque every year for the same things I wouldn’t have gone for that length of time. I took a bath on the finacial side but you only live once and the time value of the investment was priceless.

Now that all our kids are growing up 14 years later we are getting the band back together and buying a place in Cabo. This will be way more of an investment but it comes with two weeks usage each year as a kicker. The project will take 3 years to construct so my son will have graduated high school by then. Same principle though that will force two extra weeks of travel into my schedule every year.

Love what you are saying about Hawaii. Friends of mine sware by their stays each year at these beach villa’s in Ka’anapali. At some point I might just travel back and forth and explore one year and figure out where I might want to settle. I would love one month of continuous inventory and a place I could invite my kids to visits when they are in their early 20’s.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
53 and would like to retire by 60. biggest issue is i added a 6 year-old to the 16=18 year-olds and I'm really not sure how to retire with a 13 year-old in the house...limits mobility.

I am thinking a lot about it and believe I would like something coastal, but not too hot, in Europe. the idea of taking a train to a different part of Europe for 3-4 days every month really appeals. not sure i want to be stuck in a hot clime with a pretty nice, but monotonous routine. I had a back and forth with ChatGPT a couple of months ago, and it recommended Biarritz in the Basque region of France. Cheap to visit, but real estate still looks pretty expensive.

my dream is Pennard area of south Wales....ancestral home, great active living environment. My wife is not keen. compromise might be Victoria for youngest's school years, then abroad afterwards. (will likely keep coming back to Manitoba/LOTW for summers for as long as I am able.

Reactions: 10Ducky10 and buggs

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Really great response with lots of detail

How are you planning to manage the health insurance if you move? I know I had a ring side seat with my dad and mom going to Arizona and eventually its the health that always ends The 6 month stays. The one good thing about not owning is that it allows you to be more free to move around and you don’t get locked in.

Just for fun I will steelman the ownership position though. One story I will share is when I was younger I bought a home in Scottsdale with some buddies. We split it four ways and fractionally owned everything. We split up the winter inventory into 3 week blocks and most of us took 2 x 3 weeks in the winter. So when you arrived at the airport you would have to shuttle to the house but when you arrived there was a nice new SUV and a fully functioning house with pool etc. So for 6 weeks every winter I was citizen of Scottsdale and I absolutely loved it. My son and first child was born during this era so my wife and I had this amazing opportunity to spend almost two months every winter just hanging out with the kid and going everywhere together. Eventually once the kids hit school age the arrangement didn’t work because we all needed the same blocks of time. We bought that home at the peak of the market and sold it in the great crash and lost half the value on the home. If you watch the movie the “Big Short” that prime meltdown happened right when we had to sell :laugh:.

However, even with losing half my investment value (one partner did the math and said we could have afforded to spend $1000 a night on a place and come out even) I look back and it was one of my best investments of my life. I got to pre retire (geographically) and get it out of the way before my kids got to school age. I had time with my family in the formative years raising my son that I will never forget and they were some of the best memories of my life. The fact it was there and I owned it forced me to use it and that is big. I have stuggled shaking my cheapness since I spent most of my years in a building stage of my business and lived really lean pre children always doubling down and pushing everything back into growing. Having the house forced me into something that was great, If I had to cut a cheque every year for the same things I wouldn’t have gone for that length of time. I took a bath on the finacial side but you only live once and the time value of the investment was priceless.

Now that all our kids are growing up 14 years later we are getting the band back together and buying a place in Cabo. This will be way more of an investment but it comes with two weeks usage each year as a kicker. The project will take 3 years to construct so my son will have graduated high school by then. Same principle though that will force two extra weeks of travel into my schedule every year.

Love what you are saying about Hawaii. Friends of mine sware by their stays each year at these beach villa’s in Ka’anapali. At some point I might just travel back and forth and explore one year and figure out where I might want to settle. I would love one month of continuous inventory and a place I could invite my kids to visits when they are in their early 20’s.
Great story. I've sadly always been on the risk averse side of things, my wife even more so. We could have got into a condo in 2002 likely on Maui, but we just imagined the headaches and risks more than the benefits. It was very short term, cautious thinking. Our jobs also never would have allowed for the kind of freedom you described, so color me as very jealous.

With respect to the health insurance question and in part to answer @ERYX question as well, it's part of the background reading I've done. The destinations I've listed are all in the results of Google searches for "top places for Canadian ex-Pats to retire". Being Canadians, unlike Americans, we're unfamiliar with health care insurance for the most part (other than annual travel health insurance from CAA) and it would seem this is true for most Canadians. So those Google results seem to factor that in quite highly.

For places like Costa Rica, Panama, Spain, Portugal and a few others (I think Belize is in there as well) there is a reasonable possibility of qualifying for local health care after a period of time, usually five years, much like a local will. This is typically after a period of living five years full time in the country, so you truly are an ex-Pat and essentially become a citizen of the country which is why you qualify for the healthcare. In the intervening five years you do have to pay for health care insurance, but it isn't prohibitive like it would be in the U.S.

I have substantial concerns about the Canadian health care system. Don't get me wrong, it remains vastly superior to the U.S. system in many ways, notably for those without the ability to pay for insurance, but it is a deeply flawed system and I'm very familiar with many of the struggles that people face in reality within our system. Depending on what aspect of health care you're looking at, we rank variously from 11th to 23rd worldwide. Very good in many respects, but I think the system is unsustainable. Worse is the inability for the nation to have a conversation without immediately throwing up the specter of the U.S. system as a boogeyman. I doubt many are arguing for a move to the U.S. style, but if we're 11-23, then let's figure out who is above us and emulate that system. So I'm not even convinced staying here and aging is the right approach. I think you're around my age, so you grew up believing the same - the Canadian system is the best in the world. Conversations with friends that have lived abroad indicate rather strongly that the converse is true.

The other main considerations are climate and cost of living. Climate of course means being bloody sick and tired of the cold, and I say this as someone that is active in winter between downhill skiing, skating, being happy to go out for a walk in most weather. If we do stay in Canada it is likely we move to a rural acreage and buy snowmobiles. So winter doesn't scare me, but I've no love of it and I do like the heat. Plus many of the activities I listed are things that will wane as we age and skiing in MB is nearly pointless (though learning to skate downhill with long sticks on your feet does prepare you surprisingly well for skiing in the Rockies).

I don't actually need all that much to retire happily but not being cold and worried about slipping and falling in my 60s and 70s has a lot of appeal. Being able to sit on a deck/lanai/patio outside of my small tropical place, go to a beach occasionally, cycle regularly has a ton of appeal. Taking Costa Rica as an example, I'm not even convinced I'd live on the coast. We were looking at real estate online and found a neat place that used to be an 18 acre farm (scales are so different from Canada) that had been converted into a nature preserve. It had a caretaker on site that was allowed about 3 acres to grow beans as payment (LOL). Nice, updated but small by Canadian standards home. Tons of varied fruit trees on the property. $375K USD. Could sell my house here and buy it in a heart beat. About a half hour out of San Jose, so not near beaches, but close enough to health care if needed and modern conveniences plenty close. Cost of living remarkably low. Taxes very low. Once you qualify for health care that cost is minimal (it's not much prior either, maybe $100-200 a month). Estimates online of being able to live comfortably in Costa Rica for about $30K CAD for the year, all in. You're obviously not living extravagantly, but I'm betting you're living happily.

Hawaii can't touch that in terms of pricing. Would I choose Hawaii as my first option if I could afford it? Yes I would. But I don't think it will be feasible for us. Hawaii, like Belize, though is English which has more appeal. We'd struggle initially in the Latin American or southern European countries (Spain, Portugal) but neither of us are worried too much about not adapting.

Golfing this weekend with my fat bastards group (buddies I went to school with, five or six as far back as kindergarten). One has a sister living in Costa Rica currently, another is retired and goes to Mexico each year for the winter, but just rents with a couple of other buddies (he is single). They get a place in a gated community (sorry, don't know where) - 3 bedrooms, $1600 CAD a month. Maybe that's all I end up doing is going down for 3 months a year to avoid the worst of winter.

Nov 24, 2006

A guy I used to work with retired to Panama about maybe 10 years ago. I think he said at the time, you could buy a place in Panama for about $30,000 - $40,000 US (this was when the Canadian dollar was closer in value to the US dollar). So basically the same cost as a nice vehicle.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great story. I've sadly always been on the risk averse side of things, my wife even more so. We could have got into a condo in 2002 likely on Maui, but we just imagined the headaches and risks more than the benefits. It was very short term, cautious thinking. Our jobs also never would have allowed for the kind of freedom you described, so color me as very jealous.

With respect to the health insurance question and in part to answer @ERYX question as well, it's part of the background reading I've done. The destinations I've listed are all in the results of Google searches for "top places for Canadian ex-Pats to retire". Being Canadians, unlike Americans, we're unfamiliar with health care insurance for the most part (other than annual travel health insurance from CAA) and it would seem this is true for most Canadians. So those Google results seem to factor that in quite highly.

For places like Costa Rica, Panama, Spain, Portugal and a few others (I think Belize is in there as well) there is a reasonable possibility of qualifying for local health care after a period of time, usually five years, much like a local will. This is typically after a period of living five years full time in the country, so you truly are an ex-Pat and essentially become a citizen of the country which is why you qualify for the healthcare. In the intervening five years you do have to pay for health care insurance, but it isn't prohibitive like it would be in the U.S.

I have substantial concerns about the Canadian health care system. Don't get me wrong, it remains vastly superior to the U.S. system in many ways, notably for those without the ability to pay for insurance, but it is a deeply flawed system and I'm very familiar with many of the struggles that people face in reality within our system. Depending on what aspect of health care you're looking at, we rank variously from 11th to 23rd worldwide. Very good in many respects, but I think the system is unsustainable. Worse is the inability for the nation to have a conversation without immediately throwing up the specter of the U.S. system as a boogeyman. I doubt many are arguing for a move to the U.S. style, but if we're 11-23, then let's figure out who is above us and emulate that system. So I'm not even convinced staying here and aging is the right approach. I think you're around my age, so you grew up believing the same - the Canadian system is the best in the world. Conversations with friends that have lived abroad indicate rather strongly that the converse is true.

The other main considerations are climate and cost of living. Climate of course means being bloody sick and tired of the cold, and I say this as someone that is active in winter between downhill skiing, skating, being happy to go out for a walk in most weather. If we do stay in Canada it is likely we move to a rural acreage and buy snowmobiles. So winter doesn't scare me, but I've no love of it and I do like the heat. Plus many of the activities I listed are things that will wane as we age and skiing in MB is nearly pointless (though learning to skate downhill with long sticks on your feet does prepare you surprisingly well for skiing in the Rockies).

I don't actually need all that much to retire happily but not being cold and worried about slipping and falling in my 60s and 70s has a lot of appeal. Being able to sit on a deck/lanai/patio outside of my small tropical place, go to a beach occasionally, cycle regularly has a ton of appeal. Taking Costa Rica as an example, I'm not even convinced I'd live on the coast. We were looking at real estate online and found a neat place that used to be an 18 acre farm (scales are so different from Canada) that had been converted into a nature preserve. It had a caretaker on site that was allowed about 3 acres to grow beans as payment (LOL). Nice, updated but small by Canadian standards home. Tons of varied fruit trees on the property. $375K USD. Could sell my house here and buy it in a heart beat. About a half hour out of San Jose, so not near beaches, but close enough to health care if needed and modern conveniences plenty close. Cost of living remarkably low. Taxes very low. Once you qualify for health care that cost is minimal (it's not much prior either, maybe $100-200 a month). Estimates online of being able to live comfortably in Costa Rica for about $30K CAD for the year, all in. You're obviously not living extravagantly, but I'm betting you're living happily.

Hawaii can't touch that in terms of pricing. Would I choose Hawaii as my first option if I could afford it? Yes I would. But I don't think it will be feasible for us. Hawaii, like Belize, though is English which has more appeal. We'd struggle initially in the Latin American or southern European countries (Spain, Portugal) but neither of us are worried too much about not adapting.

Golfing this weekend with my fat bastards group (buddies I went to school with, five or six as far back as kindergarten). One has a sister living in Costa Rica currently, another is retired and goes to Mexico each year for the winter, but just rents with a couple of other buddies (he is single). They get a place in a gated community (sorry, don't know where) - 3 bedrooms, $1600 CAD a month. Maybe that's all I end up doing is going down for 3 months a year to avoid the worst of winter.

I am finding this discussion therapeutic.

My Dad was a physed teacher and mom stayed at home. He eventually worked as an assistant superintendent but he retired at 58 and had that nice teachers pension. Obviously budget was always first and foremost but they were amazing with money.

They began travelling to Mesa at 60 initially in more of a mobile park but a very nice facility and amenities. They eventually moved into more park that was a few steps up with homes.

I can’t overstate how amazing it was to watch their active lifestyle. They both played tennis and golfed and just lived outdoors having fun in Arizona with all these active friends from Canada living in their parks. Amazing quality of life on the dirt cheap.

Mom eventually passed and dad stopped going south when his girlfriend got cancer and Covid hit. Dad lives on his partners farm In Saskatchewan so he is back to the tough winters. Thing is he’s 93 and she is 91 and he drove out to Kelowna two summer ago to visit friends.

I attribute his health and mental awareness to genetics but also that extreme active lining for 30 years after he retired.

I am with you on Canadian Health care. How has the discussion been framed as only US vs Canada? Classic media and political misdirection to kill the opportunity to look fir better ways and improvement.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Roatan is one of my all-time favourites! Absolutely beautiful. I would strongly suggest it as a retirement spot.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Some places in Panama can be pricey to retire to.
The Boquete area is a place that a lot of ex-pats seem to like. The climate hardly changes. Average high temps are 22-26 and lows are 14-15. It is not that long of a drive to a bigger city (David). Another area in Panama that I have looked at is Pedasi. Panama has a good health care system as well.
I could never live down there in the summer when it rains so much and I love MB summers.
After hunting and fishing is done and the nights start getting colder, I would be okay with leaving and coming back at the end of April. Open up the house, buy some plants and gear up for fishing season!

Ecuador intrigues me as well. Low cost of living and nice temps.
Argentina is crazy right now with their inflation rate going sky high.
A year ago there were something like 110 pesos in 1USD. Today it is 268 pesos and from what I have read, you can get over 330 pesos on the black market. I'm not sure how long this will last but we might check out Buenos Aires and Mendoza this winter for 16 days.
I’ve always been a bit of a cruise lover. I know that there are some people who live year-round on cruise ships and it’s surprisingly affordable.
You can do it for under $30,000 a year and that includes lodging and all the food you can imagine.
Something I’d definitely consider in the future for a year or two.

Reactions: ps241 and imec

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Roatan is one of my all-time favourites! Absolutely beautiful. I would strongly suggest it as a retirement spot.

I've never heard of this island before. But reading up on it has now peaked my interest!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I am finding this discussion therapeutic.

My Dad was a physed teacher and mom stayed at home. He eventually worked as an assistant superintendent but he retired at 58 and had that nice teachers pension. Obviously budget was always first and foremost but they were amazing with money.

They began travelling to Mesa at 60 initially in more of a mobile park but a very nice facility and amenities. They eventually moved into more park that was a few steps up with homes.

I can’t overstate how amazing it was to watch their active lifestyle. They both played tennis and golfed and just lived outdoors having fun in Arizona with all these active friends from Canada living in their parks. Amazing quality of life on the dirt cheap.

Mom eventually passed and dad stopped going south when his girlfriend got cancer and Covid hit. Dad lives on his partners farm In Saskatchewan so he is back to the tough winters. Thing is he’s 93 and she is 91 and he drove out to Kelowna two summer ago to visit friends.

I attribute his health and mental awareness to genetics but also that extreme active lining for 30 years after he retired.

I am with you on Canadian Health care. How has the discussion been framed as only US vs Canada? Classic media and political misdirection to kill the opportunity to look fir better ways and improvement.
I won't get into the healthcare issue aside from saying that I've been both a patient and provider in both he US and Canadian system and they both have their plusses and minuses

Bit I WILL say that the single most important thing you can do is look after yourself. I mean eating well, exercising, resistance training and some form of cardio. Everyone's health wanes as we age, so it's best to start at as high a level as possible. I have things I like to do that I want to be able to do forever... ranging from physical activities to just being able to dress myself and get off the shitter when I'm 95.

The best way to approach the health care system wherever you are is to try your best to avoid needing it. That said, accidents happen and that's always a consideration.

The most important part about your retielrement - wherever we decide to do it - is being healthy enough to enjoy it

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I won't get into the healthcare issue aside from saying that I've been both a patient and provider in both he US and Canadian system and they both have their plusses and minuses

Bit I WILL say that the single most important thing you can do is look after yourself. I mean eating well, exercising, resistance training and some form of cardio. Everyone's health wanes as we age, so it's best to start at as high a level as possible. I have things I like to do that I want to be able to do forever... ranging from physical activities to just being able to dress myself and get off the shitter when I'm 95.

The best way to approach the health care system wherever you are is to try your best to avoid needing it. That said, accidents happen and that's always a consideration.

The most important part about your retielrement - wherever we decide to do it - is being healthy enough to enjoy it

Yup well said.

I have lived my life by the plan of making as many variables controllable as possible.

I have used the same partner for 25 years in resistance training. We go Tuesday Thursday at 1:00 and he sets the pace. He is about 17 years younger than me and really fit, he trains people for a living so he is the perfect training buddy.

I go to Fountain life in Dallas every second year for thorough precision diagnostic tests. I have my standard GP in Canada that I visit annually.

I am always within 10 pounds of target weight and measure visceral fat % every year.

I don’t smoke but do love to social drink with friends.

I plan to live past 100 and take advantage of all the longevity opportunities that will Emerge over the next 35-40 Years. My dad is 93 and in great health so I think my goal is realistic.

Active lifestyle, reasonable diet, with lots of measuring will be the cornerstone. Also I will keep up the moderate drinking. 😂

Now watch me get hit by a car next week lol.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I’ve always been a bit of a cruise lover. I know that there are some people who live year-round on cruise ships and it’s surprisingly affordable.
You can do it for under $30,000 a year and that includes lodging and all the food you can imagine.
Something I’d definitely consider in the future for a year or two.
Living on a cruise ship for a year? How the hell does that work??

Reactions: 10Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You guys do any fishing while you're away traveling?

Our holidays are usually planned around bird watching and fishing.
I have fished Belmont, Jamaica...San Blas, Nayarit, MX... Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, MX and Belize.

Cabo has some really great fishing. I'll never visit there without going fishing a few times. Great weather as well. Gets down around 12C or so at night and plenty hot in the afternoon. I have a picture of me with a mahi mahi I caught an hour into the day and I have my jeans and thick Cabela's hoodie on. A pic 3 hours later and it is shorts and a t-shirt. Affordable rentals and knowledgable guides.
I'd go back in Sept/Oct for fishing only but most of my buddies are just talkers.

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad