OT: TRAVEL

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
This is relatively prosaic compared to settings in medieval Spain, but I just visited the corvette museum in Bowling Green Kentucky. I do like all things automotive and mechanical, especially vintage stuff. :)

Now in Rockford, IL -> heading north today to Minneapolis.

Been through Ft. Lauderdale, Gainsville, Atlanta, Nashville, Bowling Green, Chicago, Rockford. The spousal unit is getting antsy to return to the Peg, but we are all learning a lot about some famous US icons and locales.

Stayed in a converted factory in Rockford, amazing old building.. reeking of the halcyon days of US industrial firepower.

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Last edited:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Some of those old corvettes are out of this world. Some of the nicest vehicles I've ever seen.
I agree. For my tastes the 63 split window is right up there with the Gullwing Mercedes.....and anything else.
Yes.. I love them - the styling is spectacular, to my eye they share elements from some of the Italian classics from that era.

Reactions: Channelcat

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Trip update: Made it home yesterday.

This is an image of the road warrior that carried us all that way (to Winnipeg, MB). Drove it home for a good friend. Cheers buddy, she's a keeper.

No engine codes, no flats, no issues. Couple of near misses on a few speed traps. :)

View attachment 830516

I have a new nickname for you Kan'...

Goggles Pizano...

pizano.gif

Last edited:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I have new nickname for you Kan'...

Goggles Pizano...

View attachment 830825
:laugh::laugh:

3300 km give or take from Ft. Lauderdale. Worst traffic is a tie between in the spagetti loops near north Miami/Lauderdale/Sunrise FLA near I95 and and the main freeway through central Chicago, IL. Atlanta is a cakewalk. Best/easiest is anywhere is a tie between anywhere in Kentucky and anything west of Minneapolis including ND and MB.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

3300 km give or take from Ft. Lauderdale. Worst traffic is a tie between in the spagetti loops near north Miami/Lauderdale/Sunrise FLA near I95 and and the main freeway through central Chicago, IL. Atlanta is a cakewalk. Best/easiest is anywhere is a tie between anywhere in Kentucky and anything west of Minneapolis including ND and MB.
8iba2x.jpg

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Concur on M/L/SF ne I95 and Chicago...

Try Chicago in the summer... much more stupid than the Florida Loops...

As for Atlanta yes most days.. but I was caught in the worst traffic jam in Atlanta history... left a parking lot at around 4pm from World Poultry Congress with clients in a rental car to go 3 blocks... stuck in traffic for almost 2 hours... the event at WPC we were at... and at what was the Georgia Dome let out at same time and day to day traffic all letting out along with snow and record cold/snow during rush hour January 2014... people abandoned cars all over the place on the Interstate right through Atlanta running out of gas... a Mother trapped on said Interstate had to give birth on said Interstate because nothing moved there for 12 to 14 hours... Atlanta has had some real doosies...

We were staying at the Peachtree Plaza... could see our breath in the rooms on the upper floors... sub zero temperatures well below normal... drank bourbon at 4 am in the morning because we were freezing, couldn't sleep... and we are Canadians... the Americans were apoplectic... :laugh:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I got stuck in a one hour complete stop of traffic on the only Interstate in Hawaii, H1. You wouldn't think there would be interstates in Hawaii in the first place but there is one and the traffic completely froze. I was between exits and apparently nobody in front of me thought of using the next exit to find an alternate route. The part of H1 I was on at the time was the part that runs through Honolulu so there were exits every half to full mile. :skeptic:

Reactions: kanadalainen

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Was in vegas after the F1 grand prix there in November

The locals (cab drivers) hated it. Going to be there for the next 10 years

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I got stuck in a one hour complete stop of traffic on the only Interstate in Hawaii, H1. You wouldn't think there would be interstates in Hawaii in the first place but there is one and the traffic completely froze. I was between exits and apparently nobody in front of me thought of using the next exit to find an alternate route. The part of H1 I was on at the time was the part that runs through Honolulu so there were exits every half to full mile. :skeptic:
I've always found the traffic jams in Hawaii really strange. They don't seem to have that much traffic but then suddenly congestion arrives out of nowhere and you sit for 15 minutes.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
This is relatively prosaic compared to settings in medieval Spain, but I just visited the corvette museum in Bowling Green Kentucky. I do like all things automotive and mechanical, especially vintage stuff. :)

Now in Rockford, IL -> heading north today to Minneapolis.

Been through Ft. Lauderdale, Gainsville, Atlanta, Nashville, Bowling Green, Chicago, Rockford. The spousal unit is getting antsy to return to the Peg, but we are all learning a lot about some famous US icons and locales.

Stayed in a converted factory in Rockford, amazing old building.. reeking of the halcyon days of US industrial firepower.

View attachment 829093

View attachment 829094

View attachment 829095
View attachment 829096
Loved that museum. Is there a more iconic car than a 63 split window Corvette?

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Anyone ever ridden the Amtrak?
I'm taking it this week from Rugby to Chicago. Trying to read up on rules and tips.

I rode one from Washington DC to Southern VA last summer. I was astonished how big the seats actually were. They sell food and drinks (even alcohol). Also you have plenty of opportunities to charge your devices.

Overall I had a neat experience, but then again, the journey only lasted 5.5 hours.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Leaving for Orlando and Miami this weekend, my wife is always amazed we get back home alive when I drive there. I love driving in Florida, keeps me more engaged heh.

Reactions: macmaroon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Leaving for Orlando and Miami this weekend, my wife is always amazed we get back home alive when I drive there. I love driving in Florida, keeps me more engaged heh.
Dangerous mix of elderly folk, new drivers and NASCAR fans on the freeways down there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad