Trade Proposals

member 71782

Luchuk & DiPietro would be a great fit for Guelph, Ottawa, Kingston (Helvig traded), Sudbury...any team wanting playoff experience this season and go for it next.
But, the cost of two top youngsters that would be part of the core and 7 - 2nds & 3rds is too much for any team. I think a return of an OA player, 17/18 yr old G, two (replacement level) 17 yr olds, 3 consecutive 2nds, and some (4-6) round picks to fill the empty cupboard now is more realistic.
The last G worth a pick at the end of the 1st was Martin. Any team paying near the price the Soo paid for Campbell...can’t see it.

If DiPietro went to a younger team that was looking to extend their playoffs this year while remaining focused on next year as their big year to make a run I think he is moved alone. Luchuk becomes an added expense and the extra assets would be better utilized next year.

Which team, if any is able to convince Windsor to move him this year will determine just how the return will look obviously.

A contender this year will be more willing to move younger players who won't see much icetime as they bulk up for the playoffs while a team looking more towards next year that is trending upwards would focus more on picks and players that can be flipped by Windsor for younger players/more picks similar to the Barrie/OS/NB deal a couple of weeks ago.

It saves them some assets while Windsor and another team still gain players/assets they are seeking.

If DiPietro were moved to a younger team looking towards next year the only player I could see him packaged with that would make sense for the other team would be Vilardi but that would likely be too big of a risk for someone to take this season.

Again, just my opinion now but f DiPietro is moved this year if it's to a contender this year I think he stays in the West, if it's a younger team I think he goes to the East. Just looking at contenders/potential contenders this year and next at this time there appears to be more up and comers in the East while the West looks to have more teams prepared for a run this year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah, I guess that I might over rate the scoring depth effect Luchuk could have on any of Kingston, Hamilton, Barrie, Niagara, Sudbury, Guelph... based on just two (great) games I’ve watched him play this season. But, even at a reasonable price for DiPietro, another player with impact has to be added.

Last edited:

member 71782

Yeah, I guess that I might over rate the scoring depth effect Luchuk could have on any of Kingston, Hamilton, Barrie, Niagara, Sudbury, Guelph... based on just two (great) games I’ve watched him play this season. But, even at a reasonable price for DiPietro, another player with impact has to be added.

I wouldn't say you're overrating the effect Luchuck would have, he's a goal a game/2ppg player who can play with anyone. He can play the pp and pk and against any level of competition in the league.

To me it is just about a younger team willing to spend the assets on an OA for a deep playoff run but still come up short of a title or would they be better off paying similar/a bit more for an 18/19 year old who is developing into that type of player that would be here next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I wouldn't say you're overrating the effect Luchuck would have, he's a goal a game/2ppg player who can play with anyone. He can play the pp and pk and against any level of competition in the league.

To me it is just about a younger team willing to spend the assets on an OA for a deep playoff run but still come up short of a title or would they be better off paying similar/a bit more for an 18/19 year old who is developing into that type of player that would be here next year.

Depending on the assets to give, I think OA Luchuk is ideal for some of the teams I mentioned.
The wolves for example, could give up (too much, imo) two currently bottom six 17 yr old forwards sometimes playing top 6 due to injuries, OA Lajeunesse, & a couple early middle picks; and, still have to work to get two of import, & 1,2,3 picks into their F line up next season.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Luchuk & DiPietro would be a great fit for Guelph, Ottawa, Kingston (Helvig traded), Sudbury...any team wanting playoff experience this season and go for it next.
But, the cost of two top youngsters that would be part of the core and 7 - 2nds & 3rds is too much for any team. I think a return of an OA player, 17/18 yr old G, two (replacement level) 17 yr olds, 3 consecutive 2nds, and some (4-6) round picks to fill the empty cupboard now is more realistic.
The last G worth a pick at the end of the 1st was Martin. Any team paying near the price the Soo paid for Campbell and have the collection of assets the Soo then had...can’t see it.

No team in the league can claim they have received better goaltending than Guelph thus far. As long as that continues, it doesn't make any sense for them to be targetting DiPietro.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Windsor might argue that "better goaltending" comment, but I agree that Guelph won't be a fit for DiPietro.

Popovich has a better sv% right now despite being on a worse defensive team. I'm not saying he's the better goalie overall, but he's performed the best so far. Either way we agree, Guelph doesn't need to go after DiPietro.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I think the idea of trading with Windsor for next year would make the most sense for Kingston. They’re still very competitive this year, but next year they look like they ought to be a legit contender. I would think they would be interested in both DiPietro and Vilardi. That would be a huge deal but set the Fronts up very nicely for this year and next.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Windsor could receive a package like this:

‘01 C Cody Morgan
‘00 LW Sergey Popov
‘99 C Brett Neumann
‘99 G Brendan Bonello
‘97 G Jeremy Helvig (who they would flip to OS for draft picks)
KGN 2nd ‘20
MISS 2nd ‘20
KGN 2nd ‘22
KGN 2nd ‘23
WSR 3rd ‘19
KGN 3rd ‘20
KGN 3rd ‘21
ER 3rd ‘21

*there would probably be a lot of conditions on the picks based on one or both of DiPietro and Vilardi making the NHL next season

Reactions: member 71782

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

‘01 C Cody Morgan
‘00 LW Sergey Popov
‘99 C Brett Neumann
‘99 G Brendan Bonello
KGN 2nd ‘20
MISS 2nd ‘20
KGN 2nd ‘22
KGN 2nd ‘23
WSR 3rd ‘19
KGN 3rd ‘20
KGN 3rd ‘21
ER 3rd ‘21

*there would probably be a lot of conditions on the picks based on one or both of DiPietro and Vilardi making the NHL next season
Doubt anyone would pony up that much. Sounds like a lot.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Issue with the trade proposal...

If Windsor dealt DiPietro, they wouldn't go after Bonello in return because they already have Baier and Patton in the wings. They're more likely to go with Baier as the starter and Patton gets his feet wet in the league.

Windsor also needs picks asap. Any deal(s) would need to include 2nds or 3rds in 2018.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Assuming Helvig returns say a 2nd and a 3rd (maybe more), that’s 5 2nd’s and 5 3rd’s

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Issue with the trade proposal...

If Windsor dealt DiPietro, they wouldn't go after Bonello in return because they already have Baier and Patton in the wings. They're more likely to go with Baier as the starter and Patton gets his feet wet in the league.

Windsor also needs picks asap. Any deal(s) would need to include 2nds or 3rds in 2018.

Patton is already 18, behind Baier a goalie the Spits are petrified to play in games. He's as much in the wings as any other goalie in the Spits system.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Assuming Helvig returns say a 2nd and a 3rd (maybe more), that’s 5 2nd’s and 5 3rd’s

That’s an insane amount of picks for 1.5 years of a goaltender. The price for a G has not been as high as a skater since the Campbell trade. A better barometer might be the price paid for (the assumption of 2.5 seasons) of Garlent or Pauquette?

Reactions: TheCoach

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
That’s an insane amount of picks for 1.5 years of a goaltender. The price for a G has not been as high as a skater since the Campbell trade. A better barometer might be the price paid for (the assumption of 2.5 seasons) of Garlent or Pauquette?
Armchair GM trades are always more exciting than actual trades.

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

‘01 C Cody Morgan
‘00 LW Sergey Popov
‘99 C Brett Neumann
‘99 G Brendan Bonello
KGN 2nd ‘20
MISS 2nd ‘20
KGN 2nd ‘22
KGN 2nd ‘23
WSR 3rd ‘19
KGN 3rd ‘20
KGN 3rd ‘21
ER 3rd ‘21

While this type of offer would make sense the only issues I would have would be one of the 2nds needs to be in 18 or 19 and as stated, with 2 18 year old goaltenders would Windsor have interest in Bonello? He does have more experience.

Morgan and Popov are nice adds for building for the future. Neumann adds experience and possible value as a trade piece next year if he does well with a young, rebuilding team. Helvig, as you said is flipped for more picks.

I'd suggest picks would need to be
2nds in 18 or 19, 20, 22, 23. 1 of the 20s flipped for 1 in 18 or 19.
3rds in 19, 20, cond. 21 x2. Conditional on Vilardi returning next year.

Vilardi is a Kingston kid so moving back home to make a run probably makes a deal enticing for him. DiPietro moves with a familiar face.

If only it were as simple as a couple of fans in a forum.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
While this type of offer would make sense the only issues I would have would be one of the 2nds needs to be in 18 or 19 and as stated, with 2 18 year old goaltenders would Windsor have interest in Bonello? He does have more experience.

Morgan and Popov are nice adds for building for the future. Neumann adds experience and possible value as a trade piece next year if he does well with a young, rebuilding team. Helvig, as you said is flipped for more picks.

I'd suggest picks would need to be
2nds in 18 or 19, 20, 22, 23. 1 of the 20s flipped for 1 in 18 or 19.
3rds in 19, 20, cond. 21 x2. Conditional on Vilardi returning next year.

Vilardi is a Kingston kid so moving back home to make a run probably makes a deal enticing for him. DiPietro moves with a familiar face.

If only it were as simple as a couple of fans in a forum.

If I were the 67s and I was at least 50-50 on Barron sticking around as an OA, I would seriously consider a deal like this.

They'd have Felhaber as an OA as well. If DiPietro and Vilardi were here next year with Chmelevski, Keating and Clarke and Clark up front with Hoefenmeyer and Bahl on the back end, I'd do it. I'd toss Robertson or Stratis plus one of Hoelscher or Bitten and another piece plus four 2nds and 4 3rds.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Patton is already 18, behind Baier a goalie the Spits are petrified to play in games. He's as much in the wings as any other goalie in the Spits system.

The Spitfires are looking to get wins while they can. DiPietro isn't your normal starting goaltender. He's, arguably, the best in the league. Baier should be playing more and is fully capable of playing more, but when you're trying to win games before the deadline, I can see why Windsor does this. It's much more indicative of how good DiPietro is than how average Baier may be. I have full confidence that, should DiPietro get dealt, Baier can step in and get the job done.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The Spitfires are looking to get wins while they can. DiPietro isn't your normal starting goaltender. He's, arguably, the best in the league. Baier should be playing more and is fully capable of playing more, but when you're trying to win games before the deadline, I can see why Windsor does this. It's much more indicative of how good DiPietro is than how average Baier may be. I have full confidence that, should DiPietro get dealt, Baier can step in and get the job done.

So the organization is trying to win the games at the expense of developing players? That's always a good thing in a development league. :thumbd::thumbd:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Unless last place and a great player are attainable, developing a group where everyone is trying to win every game is a good thing.
Isn’t the goal of the OHL (after profit) to be the surest and fastest route to a pro hockey career; and, failing that an education package to fall back on? IMO, making time to develop depth players when a star player can play more defeats the purpose of both goals.
After seeing the OHL-Russia game for a 2nd time in 5years? and difference in caliber of play compared to regular season, it seems to me the OHL has lost ground in attracting the best talent available. I’d guess that 95% of the leagues players are not looking at long pro careers. The league should be very interested in stepping up education assurances. (without pricing me out of major junior hickey :))

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad