Trade Proposals

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I might put Brown ahead of Vilardi only for the fact Vilardi hasn't played much over the past year+. Same goes for Brown but as long as he remains healthy, maybe he has a real good WJ's if he makes Team USA then Brown has the opportunity to show his talent. As long as Vilardi sits he's not helping anybody. I do understand where you are coming from though. I still remain in the club of moving DiPietro this year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Vilardi coming back is one piece. He would be on Windsor's top line but Windsor would still need two or three pieces up front let alone at least two more D.

Windsor has choices to make.

First choice, stand pat and ride things out this year, likely finishing around 6th and a first round exit.

They don't have the assets to add and would go into the 2018 draft with no picks in rounds 2 - 5.

Second choice, trade those with value who won't return next year. Brown, Day and Luchuk. In separate deals, for picks alone the max value for each.

Brown - 3 2nds and 2 3rds and a cond. 4th.

Day - 2 2nds and 2 3rds and a cond. 4th.

Luchuk - 1 2nd and 2 3rds.

How close or how far out, players involved would affect any actual returns but for arguments sake lets say over the next 3 drafts.

Gets them a decent amount of picks back in the cupboard for the immediate future to actually start rebuilding with, still leaves some holes and they still have DiPietro, Vilardi and Boka to deal next year.

Choice three, deal DiPietro this year as well. Bet on Vilardi returning next year to deal after a full year to recover. Move Boka next year when he likely has greater value after another year playing a bigger role.

DiPietro - 4 2nds and 2 3rds and someone's 1st rounder from 2017 or a very good 17 year old.

DiPietro alone seems pricey but with another full season and potential (likely doubtful) OA year he justifies the cost. A team looking for two pieces, a goaltender and take your pick of top line centre, top pairing D or OA centre who can play in any situation would be wise to pick him up with one of Brown, Day or Luchuk. A package deal that includes DiPietro allows a team to spread picks out over a longer period, further out and is palatable to Windsor since they need picks out well into the future. Maybe add a second 17 year old to the return.

Windsor keeping DiPietro is a mistake IMO since his value would drop next season plus they would be in a tough spot in goal with no one in their system prepared to step into the starters role when they really need it.

Choice four, move Vilardi this year as well. If teams have any concerns he won't bring any more value this year compared to next but if he does well there is always the risk he doesn't return next year and Windsor loses him for nothing.

Vilardi - 3 2nds and 3 3rds and someone's 2017 1st rounder or very good 17 year old.

To me, value wise

DiPietro > Vilardi > Brown > Day >/= Stanley > Luchuk.

Of Windsor's top 5 remaining only Vilardi should be considered to remain. His value this year, next year is about equal because of his current injury. If he returns next year, is fully healthy and performs at the highest level he could carry a higher value.
I think you are close here but I just don't see DiPietro going anywhere this year - I think the price would be too high for any realistic contender to pay. Most teams would want more for that amount and would look elsewhere. Teams will still pay a good price for him next year ( market value) but the Spits would get less with a trade next year as he would be a one and done but teams would anti up for less.

member 71782

I can understand Brown over Vilardi at this point but in the end Vilardi I feel is a more rounded player with an extra year if other teams feel he will be healthy enough this season.

If they were both same age but under the current situation then yes, Brown over Vilardi.

member 71782

I know DiPietro is over priced this year but next year is a guarantee he returns.

I agree, he likely stays, which is a big mistake for a rebuilding team to hold onto the most valuable asset on the market.

If he does move my guess is he moves with someone else to help justify the cost.

DiPietro/Luchuk for a 16 year old, 17 year old off the roster, 17 year old prospect/flier, 5 2nds, 2 3rds.

Something along those lines makes the cost more palatable while still allowing Windsor to do well adding youth and futures.

As good as DiPietro is his value to Windsor is in a big deal this year. A deal next year, while still helpful in adding assets also puts the rebuild behind one year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Agreed. I guess it would be wise to look at what other top goaltenders went for the value to those teams moving forward. If I was to guess the value to the new team isn't as high as the price paid.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
since when did this turn into thee windsor trade thread?

windsor is not going for it this year. its a stupid topic. but boy i would love to see them be that idiotic and foolish to do that. Even with Vilardi back, as mentioned before they are still 2-3 top 6 forwards away. but at least 3 top 9 forwards. Add in another top defender. Sorry adding 4 solid to elite level players is A) expensive and nobody can afford it (barely and maybe not even London could) and B) even if you do add, there is no guarantee it would work out with chemistry. Plus lets not forget other teams will add.

Windsor isnt even close. They are being basically carried by Dipietro and Luchuk. That is not sustainable. Parsons had a deeper team last year in London (and say what you want but a much much more talented team than this current windsor group) and still couldnt carry his squad (though he was close) past round 2.

but lets also add, that even if they do sell off they are not trading Luchuk, Dipietro, Brown, Day, and Vilardi. Just like london wont move Pu, Jones, Thomas, Bouchard, Formenton. And Erie wont move all of Raddysh, Sambrook, Maksmoovich, Lodnia, and Headrick

there is only a market for so many players to be bought with only so many teams buying. You arent selling off 4/5 big time players like that. Especially when you have players that can be back next season and help you maintain stability after deadline moves. My guess is Erie, Windsor, London move no more than 2 or 3 players from their teams in the list I mentioned above. Unless all of the sudden half the league starts buying this year, there simply isnt a market for 4 or 5 big time players to be moved from one team. curious if such a situation has ever existed and with what team. when were 4/5 big time players were sold off in one year?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
since when did this turn into thee windsor trade thread?

windsor is not going for it this year. its a stupid topic. but boy i would love to see them be that idiotic and foolish to do that. Even with Vilardi back, as mentioned before they are still 2-3 top 6 forwards away. but at least 3 top 9 forwards. Add in another top defender. Sorry adding 4 solid to elite level players is A) expensive and nobody can afford it (barely and maybe not even London could) and B) even if you do add, there is no guarantee it would work out with chemistry. Plus lets not forget other teams will add.

Windsor isnt even close. They are being basically carried by Dipietro and Luchuk. That is not sustainable. Parsons had a deeper team last year in London (and say what you want but a much much more talented team than this current windsor group) and still couldnt carry his squad (though he was close) past round 2.

but lets also add, that even if they do sell off they are not trading Luchuk, Dipietro, Brown, Day, and Vilardi. Just like london wont move Pu, Jones, Thomas, Bouchard, Formenton. And Erie wont move all of Raddysh, Sambrook, Maksmoovich, Lodnia, and Headrick

there is only a market for so many players to be bought with only so many teams buying. You arent selling off 4/5 big time players like that. Especially when you have players that can be back next season and help you maintain stability after deadline moves. My guess is Erie, Windsor, London move no more than 2 or 3 players from their teams in the list I mentioned above. Unless all of the sudden half the league starts buying this year, there simply isnt a market for 4 or 5 big time players to be moved from one team. curious if such a situation has ever existed and with what team. when were 4/5 big time players were sold off in one year?
Sorry about the spelling but here goes -
Cirelli to Erie
Vandsompelle to London
Fogele to Erie
Stephens to London
Bracco to Windsor
Day to Windsor
Krostilev to Petes
I'm sure there was more but this was last year.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Sorry about the spelling but here goes -
Cirelli to Erie
Vandsompelle to London
Fogele to Erie
Stephens to London
Bracco to Windsor
Day to Windsor
Krostilev to Petes
I'm sure there was more but this was last year.
Yes and no 1 team sold off 4 or 5 of their elite players. Oshawa sold off 2 big name players. Kingston 1 for instance

The market only dictates that so much can happen. Its too early to determine what will happen and where certain teams' heads are at. But my point is that the market wont allow windsor, london, or any team to sell off 4 or all 5 of their "big" name players if Erie is also going to sell off 2 or 3 big names, and other teams surely will "sell" off pieces.

There are only so many big names that will be moved because there are only so many teams that will end up buying. Thus there never is that one team that can (or maybe they just dont want to) sell off 4 or 5 big name players.
Basic point - windsor isnt moving the 5 guys they are talking about. yes 2 or 3 will be moved. if they want. but certainly not all 5. and they arent buying either because they are not close to being a championship team, certainly worse than last year and last season they lost in rd 1

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The only way I see the Spits going for it is Rychel pulls a Deboer. Take a shot at the title and totally cleaning out the draft cupboard and then head out of town fast before the fans tar and feather his body. I say he sells off some assets to replenish the draft picks. I think this season will be a buyers market. Once the league sorts itself out we will start to see true contenders by Christmas and the few remaining teams will have their choice of a lot of skilled players from several teams. Deadlines are called that because most times they are dead in the water with contenders already making their moves before hand.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yes and no 1 team sold off 4 or 5 of their elite players. Oshawa sold off 2 big name players. Kingston 1 for instance

The market only dictates that so much can happen. Its too early to determine what will happen and where certain teams' heads are at. But my point is that the market wont allow windsor, london, or any team to sell off 4 or all 5 of their "big" name players if Erie is also going to sell off 2 or 3 big names, and other teams surely will "sell" off pieces.

There are only so many big names that will be moved because there are only so many teams that will end up buying. Thus there never is that one team that can (or maybe they just dont want to) sell off 4 or 5 big name players.
Basic point - windsor isnt moving the 5 guys they are talking about. yes 2 or 3 will be moved. if they want. but certainly not all 5. and they arent buying either because they are not close to being a championship team, certainly worse than last year and last season they lost in rd 1
I will agree that one team won't sell 5 or 6 players. I do agree that Windsor won't move all of these players. I have said on our thread for sometime now that I don't see Villardi or DiPietro moving this year. Brown and Day are the most likely with Luchuk a possibility if the price is right. Having said that I could see interest around the league for all 5. If these players become cheaper than what other teams are selling for then they could all be moved. My point is lots of players are getting moved ever year, there is no reason why it could not be from one team f the price is right, does it happen often no, could it, yes.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I will agree that one team won't sell 5 or 6 players. I do agree that Windsor won't move all of these players. I have said on our thread for sometime now that I don't see Villardi or DiPietro moving this year. Brown and Day are the most likely with Luchuk a possibility if the price is right. Having said that I could see interest around the league for all 5. If these players become cheaper than what other teams are selling for then they could all be moved. My point is lots of players are getting moved ever year, there is no reason why it could not be from one team f the price is right, does it happen often no, could it, yes.

Why flood the market to take lesser returns? Dipeitro & Villardi can be kept until January ‘19 and then cash in.
Unless, you think both are in the nhl next season

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Why flood the market to take lesser returns? Dipeitro & Villardi can be kept until January ‘19 and then cash in
If you read my post that is what I said ( not moving Villardi or DiPitro this year) - I then said if the price is right you sell. You are not flooding the market if you get a good price, you are helping your teams future.Why would you turn that down? I doubt anyone will anti-up for DiPietro so good chance he will stay until next deadline.

Edit -The "cheaper" part would come from other teams wanting too much for a player and bidding themselves out of the market.

member 71782

Until any deals happen none of it is anything more than speculation and any values we as fans place on players are simply more speculation.

I gave an opinion on what I would like to see happen and towards what others have said.

Do I think Windsor will make a run?

No idea but while I wouldn't put anything past Rychel I personally think it would be the worst thing they could do for the future of the team.

Do I think they will move everyone of value?

No but I speculated on what I think the value of their top players could be this year if they are traded.

Is it possible to move 4 or 5 pieces this season regardless of how many teams are buyers or sellers?

Yes.

How many times have teams looked to pick up multiple players hoping to bring in some built in chemistry, likely hoping to get better value in a deal as well.

Windsor and no other team will move 4 or 5 players to 4 or 5 different teams.

Could Windsor move 2 or 3 players to one team and 2 or 3 to another while Erie and others do something similar?

Yes.

It has happened before, will happen again. Windsor in the past has been a team to pick up multiple players from one team, did so in both 09 and 10 while other teams made similar moves, London picked up DelZotto and Tavares and other teams made moves in and out as well.

Right now, and this should hold until the deadline you have Sarnia, SSM, OS, Kitchener and Peterborough all looking like buyers and all needing 2 or 3 pieces. That doesn't take into account teams that could be close this year but their main window opens up next year who may try to get in on younger players that they would have for this year and next.

I've agreed that with DiPietro I doubt Windsor moves him even though he would likely bring a much higher return this year compared to next year. I don't agree with doing that but don't doubt that happens.

If Windsor packaged Brown, Day, Luchuk and DiPietro into two deals, two each or even three and one do you really think Windsor couldn't move them and get good value? Individual values on paper will always look higher, they're always a generalization but in reality multi player deals will be easier to recoup the value but usually with different pieces.

In the end my guess is Windsor moves Brown, Day and Luchuk in two deals, holds DiPietro and Vilardi until next season.

Rychel recoups some early picks for the next couple of drafts, moves DiPietro next year for a lower return and takes a chance Vilardi returns next year and he gets a similar return to what he would get this year if Vilardi shows he has no lingering health issues.

As for what teams they would go to?

Brown and Day I could see packaged together to Kitchener or Sarnia.

Kitchener needs a big, playmaking centre and offensive threat from the blueline that isn't a liability defensively.

Sarnia needs a couple of solid, two way D that can also play with the offensive talent they have. Brown brings experience that allows them to either include a younger player or two in the deal or include them in another deal for a second D.

Luchuk I could see going to SSM, OS or even Kitchener if Brown and Day went to Sarnia as well as any number of teams that are close and looking for a solid OA to help them go a bit deeper. He won't be the cheapest OA but will likely be a cheaper option for teams looking for a solid addition to their middle six. He can play in all situations and has shown he can play with different styles of players.

Reactions: ohloutsider

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think Windsor will trade DiPietro this season. He will be the number one piece all the top teams will make offers on. Bet they have already and Rychel is biding his time until some GM gives him a boatload of 2nds and a couple of young skilled players. This kid could almost win the cup on his own if he is on his game.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Jack Hughes
What would it take for London to get this guy? Jack Hughes. Hot Button Issues: Get ready for Jack Hughes - Article - TSN He seems like he will be a great player

Honestly, I think it would cost more than any player in recent history has cost, if he is in fact coming to the OHL next year. But if he's coming to the OHL next year, there's no chance that Mississauga would trade him. He could be the best player in the O next year.... Would at least be top 5

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Honestly, I think it would cost more than any player in recent history has cost, if he is in fact coming to the OHL next year. But if he's coming to the OHL next year, there's no chance that Mississauga would trade him. He could be the best player in the O next year.... Would at least be top 5
Wow well what type of price tag? 5 2nds? is he a John Tavares/Steven Stamkos level of talent?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Wow well what type of price tag? 5 2nds? is he a John Tavares/Steven Stamkos level of talent?

Well Tavares was in the OHL for 4 years so he's not nearly as valuable as him because Hughes would only be here for 1 year. But yea he's really good. He'll go 1st overall in his NHL draft year

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think Windsor will trade DiPietro this season. He will be the number one piece all the top teams will make offers on. Bet they have already and Rychel is biding his time until some GM gives him a boatload of 2nds and a couple of young skilled players. This kid could almost win the cup on his own if he is on his game.

I don't agree with that. Sarnia and the Soo are surely content with their current goaltenders and you can add Kitchener to that list if Dumont-Bouchard gets healthy.

DiPietro could be most interesting to a middling team that plans to load up next season and wants to gain some valuable playoff experience. Basically any Eastern team with him would have a shot at an extremely weak conference.

Reactions: OSA

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
What price does everyone expect Luchuk to fetch? OA's are always so hard to pin down in terms of trade value.

Foegele got a decent young player and a 3rd round pick last year, but Luchuk is putting up some great numbers. I see him as one of the most interesting pieces available.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I don't agree with that. Sarnia and the Soo are surely content with their current goaltenders and you can add Kitchener to that list if Dumont-Bouchard gets healthy.

DiPietro could be most interesting to a middling team that plans to load up next season and wants to gain some valuable playoff experience. Basically any Eastern team with him would have a shot at an extremely weak conference.
The reason I say DiPietro will be the most sought after piece is because except for the Rangers who score over four a game on him the rest of the league is below two a game. The Rangers are an anomaly for some reason. I doubt they will be in contention. Basically a mid pack team with no players at the moment with even 20 points. I would not be surprised if the Soo and Sarnia have inquired about his services. He would put a contender in a very envious position. Rychel will get an offer he can't refuse. Almost guaranteed.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
In a vacuum, DiPietro would be the most valuable piece on the market since... I honestly don't know. He's easily the league's best goalie, has Mem Cup experience (blah blah blah) and another year left in junior. Certainly he's more valuable that Steve Mason or Alex Nedeljkovic when they were dealt. He's probably worth something like four times what Raaymakers was worth, when you consider he's better than Raaymakers, has that Cup experience, will be here for three times as long, and won't be sitting at home awaiting a trade. Particularly if Windsor hangs around (possible with DiPietro), the pressure may be on the buyers to make a move, not Rychel.

I'd say DiPietro fetches a pair of good young roster players, including one 16-year-old first-rounder; six seconds; and two thirds. And he's probably actually worth more than that.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I know DiPietro is over priced this year but next year is a guarantee he returns.

I agree, he likely stays, which is a big mistake for a rebuilding team to hold onto the most valuable asset on the market.

If he does move my guess is he moves with someone else to help justify the cost.

DiPietro/Luchuk for a 16 year old, 17 year old off the roster, 17 year old prospect/flier, 5 2nds, 2 3rds.

Something along those lines makes the cost more palatable while still allowing Windsor to do well adding youth and futures.

As good as DiPietro is his value to Windsor is in a big deal this year. A deal next year, while still helpful in adding assets also puts the rebuild behind one year.

Luchuk & DiPietro would be a great fit for Guelph, Ottawa, Kingston (Helvig traded), Sudbury...any team wanting playoff experience this season and go for it next.
But, the cost of two top youngsters that would be part of the core and 7 - 2nds & 3rds is too much for any team. I think a return of an OA player, 17/18 yr old G, two (replacement level) 17 yr olds, 3 consecutive 2nds, and some (4-6) round picks to fill the empty cupboard now is more realistic.
The last G worth a pick at the end of the 1st was Martin. Any team paying near the price the Soo paid for Campbell and have the collection of assets the Soo then had...can’t see it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->