Trade Proposals

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Um, if Hughes will only report to one team or it's the NCAA, and if Missy wants, for arguments sake, four 2nd rounders for him, if the team he will report to will only offer two 2nd rounders, then Missy has a decision to make- take the two 2nds or get nothing for him.

What do you think you would do? I know what Missy would do. They'd hold out for more as long as they could but eventually take the two 2nds and call it a day. I'd rather have the two seconds and swallow a little pride than the alternative.

If Hughes would report to more than one team, it's a different story.

I kn what i'd do. Don't teams get a compensation pick the following year if a player doesn't report? Personally i'd say it's here or go to the NCAA then! Tired of the cart pulling the wagon!

That's another reason fans are turning away. If everyone uses that excuse maybe we can have a league with 4 or 6 teams all based in London! Enjoy your league! LOL :laugh:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hughes was their comp #1 from previous draft. I’m pretty sure teams cannot use this rule in consecutive years

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I may be wrong but under the current rules, the only way to get that compensatory first round pick is if they would have either traded his rights or released his rights during that window in September of this year. Again I may be wrong but I think they missed the boat on the compensatory 1st round pick.

Yes, dirty12 is correct. That's why Missy was able to "afford" to use a 1st rounder on Hughes. They had two 1st rounders.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Um, if Hughes will only report to one team or it's the NCAA, and if Missy wants, for arguments sake, four 2nd rounders for him, if the team he will report to will only offer two 2nd rounders, then Missy has a decision to make- take the two 2nds or get nothing for him.

What do you think you would do? I know what Missy would do. They'd hold out for more as long as they could but eventually take the two 2nds and call it a day. I'd rather have the two seconds and swallow a little pride than the alternative.

Thank you.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It might be more in tune with what London paid for Mete from OS, he would only go to London.
Hughes will get more than two seconds from any team that pays up regardless of what we say on here. That is a fact. From what I have read he is an absolutely amazing player. Heads and tails better than any player drafted this season. Besides why would one think he would only go to London. I doubt the OHL even sees him ever.
From a Mike Toth article:
To be honest, Hughes is already getting used to life in the hockey limelight. Serving as captain of the esteemed Toronto Minor Midget Marlboros this past season, Hughes put up video game-like scoring stats from his centre ice position: 23 goals and 50 assists for 73 points in just 33 regular season games – the kind of eye-popping production that led some people to compare him to another Marlboro scoring ace, a young gun by the name of Connor McDavid.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Hughes will get more than two seconds from any team that pays up regardless of what we say on here. That is a fact. From what I have read he is an absolutely amazing player. Heads and tails better than any player drafted this season. Besides why would one think he would only go to London. I doubt the OHL even sees him ever.
No idea where he will or won't go - only giving an example if he decides London is the only place he will go - similar to what Mete did. My gut feeling is we won't see him in the OHL.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
bobber, when I said four 2nds / two 2nds, I led off by saying "for arguments sake". I was just throwing those "prices" out there to get my point across.

Come on man you should have seen that!
:)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It is still early but the current dynamic in the OHL is interesting. The fight between Sarnia and Sault is real. They are the early class of the league and are in the same division. Kitchener is there but not quite with those two teams.

In the East, four teams are separated by 1 point for the Conference lead. Any of the top 6 have a viable claim to the Conference with some tinkering and health.

You have to think that Sarnia and Sault will add. That will create an even bigger gap to the point that I doubt any other Western Teams decide to “go for it.”

This means that much of the talk in this thread is useless. It seems certain that Windsor will sell players. They made their push last year. London may also decide to sell off a little of their veteran players. But, I see the battle for those players to be to Eastern teams. There will be a lot of jockeying for position and if a handful of those teams start getting involved in a “one-up-manship” things could start to get silly.

I really think we need to start seriously looking at an exodus of Western players heading East. Many of the teams in question have a solid foundation of picks to trade. Ottawa is loaded with picks, is celebrating their 50 year anniversary and are in need of an infusion of excitement to win back fans. They have seven solid D-Men returning next season so they can easily afford to deal one of their highly regarded 17 year olds. Ten 2nd round picks and eight 3rd round picks over the next five seasons give them loads of draft pick flexibility. 89 goals against with an OA goalie and a young but talented defense screams needing an OA D-Man and a starting goalie. You add those two pieces to that team and they are a contender in the East.

Reactions: ScoresFromCentre

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
bobber, when I said four 2nds / two 2nds, I led off by saying "for arguments sake". I was just throwing those "prices" out there to get my point across.

Come on man you should have seen that!
:)
I understand your point Even. Just saying Hughes might not be the next McDavid but he will be close. The Rangers gave up three seconds and a third or fourth(not sure) for the rights to Tortora. Hughes will certainly command a lot more even just to acquire his rights and most GM's know this and if they wnt to chance it will pay large. Just bugs me why Knight fans think all high end prospects should play in London. Are the rest of the teams chopper liver? I think he should play in Kitchener. :popcorn:

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Past history has shown that yes, the rest of the teams in the league ARE chopped liver. Lol!

As far as Hughes' actual worth, if he is dealt and comes into the league in January, and he is guaranteed to move on to the NHL after next season, then his worth would likely be that of an elite player who has a year and a half left in the league.

Vilardi would be an example. We know what we would be getting in Vilardi. But can Hughes come into the league and play at the same level as a Vilardi from January on?

In other words, who would you want in trade? A year and a half of Hughes or a year and a half of Vilardi. (If you were actually guaranteed Vilardi plays on the O next year).

I think you may want a year and a half of Vilardi. So I could make the argument that Hughes' value should be less than that of a Vilardi.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I understand your point Even. Just saying Hughes might not be the next McDavid but he will be close. The Rangers gave up three seconds and a third or fourth(not sure) for the rights to Tortora. Hughes will certainly command a lot more even just to acquire his rights and most GM's know this and if they wnt to chance it will pay large. Just bugs me why Knight fans think all high end prospects should play in London. Are the rest of the teams chopper liver? I think he should play in Kitchener. :popcorn:
i think knights fans always think they should get them all because alot of the time they do get them all! we all know HOW this happens but it is true for the most part....is it time to limit US players to 2 per team for league parity?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It is still early but the current dynamic in the OHL is interesting. The fight between Sarnia and Sault is real. They are the early class of the league and are in the same division. Kitchener is there but not quite with those two teams.

In the East, four teams are separated by 1 point for the Conference lead. Any of the top 6 have a viable claim to the Conference with some tinkering and health.

You have to think that Sarnia and Sault will add. That will create an even bigger gap to the point that I doubt any other Western Teams decide to “go for it.”

This means that much of the talk in this thread is useless. It seems certain that Windsor will sell players. They made their push last year. London may also decide to sell off a little of their veteran players. But, I see the battle for those players to be to Eastern teams. There will be a lot of jockeying for position and if a handful of those teams start getting involved in a “one-up-manship” things could start to get silly.

I really think we need to start seriously looking at an exodus of Western players heading East. Many of the teams in question have a solid foundation of picks to trade. Ottawa is loaded with picks, is celebrating their 50 year anniversary and are in need of an infusion of excitement to win back fans. They have seven solid D-Men returning next season so they can easily afford to deal one of their highly regarded 17 year olds. Ten 2nd round picks and eight 3rd round picks over the next five seasons give them loads of draft pick flexibility. 89 goals against with an OA goalie and a young but talented defense screams needing an OA D-Man and a starting goalie. You add those two pieces to that team and they are a contender in the East.

Will the rangers fold every season because there are a couple other really good teams? I (think) the one advantage that team has over others is the amount of 17 & 18 yr olds it can trade without leaving a huge void for the next couple of seasons?
The east looks really tight; but, I think Hamilton, Peterborough, and Miss will prove to be the only real contenders. HM to Barrie for likely having a top 2 seed.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Past history has shown that yes, the rest of the teams in the league ARE chopped liver. Lol!

As far as Hughes' actual worth, if he is dealt and comes into the league in January, and he is guaranteed to move on to the NHL after next season, then his worth would likely be that of an elite player who has a year and a half left in the league.

Vilardi would be an example. We know what we would be getting in Vilardi. But can Hughes come into the league and play at the same level as a Vilardi from January on?

In other words, who would you want in trade? A year and a half of Hughes or a year and a half of Vilardi. (If you were actually guaranteed Vilardi plays on the O next year).

I think you may want a year and a half of Vilardi. So I could make the argument that Hughes' value should be less than that of a Vilardi.
Good valid points Even. Vilardi has a slight rick factor to any team that acquires him now because he was injured in a pro camp and will still not play for 4-6 weeks. Still love the way he plays and the Rangers could use him. My thought is Hughes will stay in the US to play out his junior eligibility but if by chance he does come to the OHL he will likely chose to play in Missy who I believe have his rights. He played his minor hockey I believe in that area and is likely familiar with that team. Correct me if I am wrong on the minor hockey.:)

From article;Gabe will be back with us for two weeks,” Rychel told windsorspitfires.com. “He’ll go back to L.A. at that point to be re-evaluated. For now, both (Kings GM) Rob Blake and I think he’s best off getting back into the swing of things here, to see how far he’s come.”

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Hughes would play at a much higher level than Vilardi. I get the "we havent seen him so we can't be sure" argument, but he's one of the most elite players I've seen play. He's going to go 1st overall to the NHL. A good comp for him is Andrei Svechnikov in Barrie (although he broke his hand and is out hurt). Svechnikov looked like a man amongst boys in the OHL before his injury.

Hughes combo of skating and playmaking abilities are unbelievable

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Will the rangers fold every season because there are a couple other really good teams? I (think) the one advantage that team has over others is the amount of 17 & 18 yr olds it can trade without leaving a huge void for the next couple of seasons?
The east looks really tight; but, I think Hamilton, Peterborough, and Miss will prove to be the only real contenders. HM to Barrie for likely having a top 2 seed.

I’m not too sure I agree with that. I think Missy with their top heavy roster is a contender but if health ever becomes an issue there, they will fall like a rock. After that, I am not too sure anyone really stands out.

The 67’s right now have a great collection of young defenders. All high picks. Okhotyuk was Team Russia’s captain and has a chance of playing for the WJHC team at 17. They do need one guy back there to settle the defense down and there is an OA spot available to use.

They have some decent scoring in the top two lines and that really pushed Missy in the playoffs last year. I just think hey need a 3rd centre to pair with Graham Clarke.

They do need a goalie though. That is first and foremost. I and many other 67’s followers agree that goaltending will not win us games.

If the 67’s can fill those three holes, they will contend in the East. If they stay status quo, they may have a tough time winning a round in the playoffs because I do see other Eastern teams poised to make a run at what looks like an open conference.

The advantage Ottawa has is if they get a 19 year old goalie, they will have two OA spots available to use on the D-Man and 3rd centre. That means the acquisition cost may be much lower than for other teams giving them the chance to actually bring in three meaningful bodies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Ok. If the 67’s add a starting G, top 3 D, & a point producing C they will indeed be tough to beat.
And, make for a great sellers market because Petes & bulldogs are buying for sure.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It's almost guaranteed the Rangers will pick up couple of vets. They have two decent goaltenders healthy Richardson and McGonigle and one in Bouchard who is injured at the moment. Richardson and McGonigle are both established goalies along with Bouchard. They also hold Opilka's rights also if a miracle happens and he gets healthy. After picking up Stanley and Sherwood they can't stop there in my opinion. Right now they are a better team than any team in the east and holding their own in the west.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ok. If the 67’s add a starting G, top 3 D, & a point producing C they will indeed be tough to beat.
And, make for a great sellers market because Petes & bulldogs are buying for sure.
But they would need to do all of that, otherwise it is moot. The good part is if they can get a non-OA Goalie, they can free up that spot and fill the other two positions with OA’s for cheap. So, it is doable but only if they can snag a goalie.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Not just the 67's but most contenders if adding Top 3 D and a point producing centre will be tough to be beat!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Hughes would play at a much higher level than Vilardi. I get the "we havent seen him so we can't be sure" argument, but he's one of the most elite players I've seen play. He's going to go 1st overall to the NHL. A good comp for him is Andrei Svechnikov in Barrie (although he broke his hand and is out hurt). Svechnikov looked like a man amongst boys in the OHL before his injury.

Hughes combo of skating and playmaking abilities are unbelievable

I suspect the era of American kids jumping ship to come to the CHL to enhance their potential or draft position is almost over if not already over.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I suspect the era of American kids jumping ship to come to the CHL to enhance their potential or draft position is almost over if not already over.
and with the ushl a very good option too ...i for one hope so.. we need to develop our own here...take a look at recent u17 tourneys we used to send a team from every province now down to 3 teams and got kicked hard.. next year do we send 2 or just 1 team? "Ontario Hockey League"

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not just the 67's but most contenders if adding Top 3 D and a point producing centre will be tough to be beat!

For sure. The difference being Ottawa is not (yet) a contender, just a good young team with an absurd amount of picks over five years

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
But they would need to do all of that, otherwise it is moot. The good part is if they can get a non-OA Goalie, they can free up that spot and fill the other two positions with OA’s for cheap. So, it is doable but only if they can snag a goalie.

Hmmm... a team that needs a starting G, a top-line C, and a top-3 D, and they have a plethora of picks and young players to deal. Now, who would have those three and need picks/young players? There has to be someone, right? (psssst lol)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hmmm... a team that needs a starting G, a top-line C, and a top-3 D, and they have a plethora of picks and young players to deal. Now, who would have those three and need picks/young players? There has to be someone, right? (psssst lol)

Ottawa doesn’t need what you are hinting about. Hypothetically speaking, if the 67’s were to acquire DiPietro, they wouldn’t need the top 3 D-Man. They are probably fine with what they have.

The Centre they need doesn’t need to be dynamic, just a guy that can play responsibly on the 3rd line to allow Graham Clarke some space and let him shoot the puck. Someone that would be a 60 point guy. Usually that guy isn’t overly pricey as an OA.

Let me be clear. This is not a year for the 67’s to contend for a championship. It is a year for them to learn how to win together as a team and maybe make a deep run.

To me, if DiPietro is truely available, that should be the priority target for Ottawa. He would be here next year which is the real contending season. Unfortunately the price would probably be prohibitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad