Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Why are we desperate to sell assets for a D only 7 games in to the season... while holding a 6-1-0 record???!!!

Trading for a D right now is so counter intuitive that its on the level of EDM. Do you guys just have some fav players you like and want to see on the leafs at all costs??

The way this team is playing you just let them play and keep tweaking.

Because this a trade thread so we need something to talk about?

For now we should just keep giving Carrick, Borgman and Rosen minutes to keep developing them with but closer to the deadline I see us bringing in a vet depth defender.

There is also Josh Leivo who hasn't gotten into a single game this season who we have as a trade asset. I believe Leivo can become a UFA if he doesn't get 41 games (can someone else verify this). If we're not going to play him it'd be smart to deal him to a team where he could get an opportunity. With our forward depth like Brown on the 4th line, Moore or Fehr in the pressbox every other game, Kapanen and a few others down on the farm it's not as if we'd miss Leivo.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Because this a trade thread so we need something to talk about?

For now we should just keep giving Carrick, Borgman and Rosen minutes to keep developing them with but closer to the deadline I see us bringing in a vet depth defender.

There is also Josh Leivo who hasn't gotten into a single game this season who we have as a trade asset. I believe Leivo can become a UFA if he doesn't get 41 games (can someone else verify this). If we're not going to play him it'd be smart to deal him to a team where he could get an opportunity. With our forward depth like Brown on the 4th line, Moore or Fehr in the pressbox every other game, Kapanen and a few others down on the farm it's not as if we'd miss Leivo.

There is a chance that Bozak (center), JVR, and Komorov are gone after this season so it stands to reason that Leivo is expected to take a spot. And I don't think anyone anticipates that we will be healthy all season long.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
There is a chance that Bozak (center), JVR, and Komorov are gone after this season so it stands to reason that Leivo is expected to take a spot. And I don't think anyone anticipates that we will be healthy all season long.

i think the leafs resign komorov. he is a really good teammate and character guy. all hustle. + babs loves him. you win cups with players like komorov imo.

hyman-matthews-marner
marleau-nylander-kapanen
komorov-kadri-brown
grundstrom-brooks-xxxx

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would bet money that Tyler Bozak ends up back on a 2 or 3 year deal.

I don’t see a chance that JVR is back, even on this 8yr deal around 4M per thing floating around.

Komarov is gone for sure though. I think he heads back to the KHL

I would take that bet, and for a substantial amount of money too. This is why:

This will be Bozaks last chance at a bigger money deal. And I don't see the Leafs wanting to commit beyond a couple seasons.

He'll be looking for a 16-20 mil deal over 5 years imo and too much commitment for the Leafs

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
This will be Bozaks last chance at a bigger money deal. And I don't see the Leafs wanting to commit beyond a couple seasons.

He'll be looking for a 16-20 mil deal over 5 years imo and too much commitment for the Leafs

Agree with this statement.

What sort of dollars would he compare too though?

Nick Bonino got 4 years at 4.1 mill per this past off-season and Bozak's numbers have been substantially better on a consistent basis.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Agree with this statement.

What sort of dollars would he compare too though?

Nick Bonino got 4 years at 4.1 mill per this past off-season and Bozak's numbers have been substantially better on a consistent basis.

I think Bozak's current deal is a 4.2M x 5? I don't know that he gets both of those numbers again, but either/or is probably reasonable. For us though, I'd guess it's more about roster instead of cap. No spot if the Nylander to centre plan is still a go.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think that it is very important to think about that 3rd line centre role going forward.

The reason that the Leafs have been so successful this year is that their depth has been there. They are consistently getting contributions from 3 lines. Most teams rely on a 1 line and the good teams rely on 2 lines. The difference with the Maple Leafs is that their 3rd line is putting up production.

Whether you believe that Bozak is the 3rd line or Kadri is the 3rd line, here's the breakdown of each line:

Bozak line - 16 points (with Brown or Marner), 8 goals w/Brown, 6 goals w/Marner
Kadri line - 16 points , 8 goals

If you look around the league, how many other teams 3rd line can compare with that?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I've been on the Braun train for a while now. I think he plays a style similar to Tanev which makes me think he'd look great next to Rielly, and if we could get him for Sosh + we'd be laughing.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think that it is very important to think about that 3rd line centre role going forward.

The reason that the Leafs have been so successful this year is that their depth has been there. They are consistently getting contributions from 3 lines. Most teams rely on a 1 line and the good teams rely on 2 lines. The difference with the Maple Leafs is that their 3rd line is putting up production.

Whether you believe that Bozak is the 3rd line or Kadri is the 3rd line, here's the breakdown of each line:

Bozak line - 16 points (with Brown or Marner), 8 goals w/Brown, 6 goals w/Marner

If you look around the league, how many other teams 3rd line can compare with that?

The difficult thing is that, in the NHL, players contracts are usually dictated by production. How much they score and how many points they put up. More points equates to more dollars on the open market. In a cap-world it is hard for the Leafs to retain all of their forward (like JVR and Bozak) who are putting up good numbers now in order to sustain their success. It will be hard for the Leafs to retain those players as the price rises. This is where good drafting/developing comes into play and hopefully there are kids in the minors ready to take on that role. But it's not a sure-fire bet that the Leafs can replace JVR's production 1 for 1 or Bozak's. If Nylander moves to centre I doubt there is a winger that could put up his numbers with Matthews.

This is where team balance needs to come into play. As the roster evolves, and costs go up, the Leafs will need to ensure that they are are able to counter-balance the loss in offense with the improvement in defense. That's not to say the players are going to be offensive plugs that cannot score - rather they are solid scoring players but also good defensively.

Running three scoring lines seems to be the way the NHL is now. The Leafs have the pieces in place now but in order to sustain this they will have to roll the dice on some players that will likely not produce as much offense but be better defensively. I also think so long as you have the big three around, it will become the focus of other team's in their game plans which will create more room for the other players.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Line 2 or line 3 it does not matter (however you look at it). coming back to your 2nd question regarding the center position to me I really do not see a lot of options either via trade or FA, the reason being no one is going to trade you a good "C" or the price is going to be too high. There is not much available in FA either and I am pretty sure that both JT and Turris will be re-signed before the hit FA and Statsny would either be traded or if Colorado is not getting back the return, they are simply going to retain him, agian the price is going to be high and then his new contract is also going to be out of our range because of cap implications. The only option that is left is to switch Nylander to "C" and let him audition on Kadri's line and move Kadri to wing for say 10 games. I am sure he is going to progress well with Kadri

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
What about Duchene?

Then trade Bozak and JVR to acquire back parts given up for Duchene, maybe more!!! And flip the depth built for a bonafide Dman later.

Reactions: Not My Tempo

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
What about Duchene?

Then trade Bozak and JVR to acquire back parts given up for Duchene, maybe more!!! And flip the depth built for a bonafide Dman later.
I said this in another thread as well. The enticing thing about Duchene is that his contract ends not this year but next. As of now we have a chance at a cup this year but then JVR, Bozak and Komarov all walk. So next year we have a ton of cap space but the year after we have to resign Matthews and Marner so it’s not like we can go out a sign FAs to large multi year deals. Duchene allows us to not only be competitive this year, but the next one as well.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What about Duchene?

I said this in another thread as well. The enticing thing about Duchene is that his contract ends not this year but next. As of now we have a chance at a cup this year but then JVR, Bozak and Komarov all walk. So next year we have a ton of cap space but the year after we have to resign Matthews and Marner so it’s not like we can go out a sign FAs to large multi year deals. Duchene allows us to not only be competitive this year, but the next one as well.

We score for fun and have Marner on the 4th line and people still want to give up assets that could go for a defenseman to get another forward, especially one that Sakic wants a kings ransom for

Does actual team need mean nothing to people?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We score for fun and have Marner on the 4th line and people still want to give up assets that could go for a defenseman to get another forward, especially one that Sakic wants a kings ransom for

Does actual team need mean nothing to people?

sakic wants a top3 dman in a package for Duchene, yeah that's smart give up one of 3 #3 dmen in order to bring a fairly 1way offensive forward (he is better than bozie and JVR though)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
sakic wants a top3 dman in a package for Duchene, yeah that's smart give up one of 3 #3 dmen in order to bring a fairly 1way offensive forward (he is better than bozie and JVR though)

I'd happily put up with Bozak and JVR and keep Gardiner Rielly and Zaitsev, especially when it is starting to look like we may be building something decent on the blue line at last

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Glad that the Hamonic trade didn't go through. Would rather have JVR+Hainsey, then Only Hamonic. Hamonic is better than Hainsey but not to the extent we lose jvr

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I understand the importance of being three lines deep, but that does not mean it should contain Bozak and JvR. We could fill those spots with cheaper guys (who are likely better defensively) and still get much of the production. If the Leafs lost JvR, Bozak and Komarov to FA, they still have 7 of their existing top 9 forwards plus a handful of prospects who could easily step into a top 9 role in the near future. That does not include any FA adds the Leafs may make (albeit cheaper ones than bringing JvR or Bozak back).

Really you need to find a winger to replace Komarov (if not Komarov himself), some 4th liners and depth guys, and a center/winger to replace Bozak (depending upon where Nylander goes). 4C job can easily go to one of Aaltonen or Gauthier. The 4RW and depth jobs could easily be filled internally as well, if not by cheap FA acquisitions like Moore. The two top 9 jobs can be filled by someone like Leivo, Kapanen, Komarov, or a cheaper FA signing than JvR or Bozak. I'd assume we either bring back Komarov or use an internal replacement to fill his spot rather than bring in a new FA.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander/Prospect/FA
Marleau-FA/Nylander-Marner
Komarov/Prospect-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Aaltonen/Gauthier-Prospect/FA
Prospects/FA's

Prospects include: Leivo, Kapanen, Rychel, Johnsson, Grundstrom and Soshnikov. Maybe Korshkov, Brooks and Bracco can be thrown into the mix as well, but I think they'll need at least another year after this one. I expect Moore and Timashov to be dealt before we give them any real shot. Essentially used like Lindberg in the Pickard deal. I can see some teams wanting them if we go after some rentals or we need some extra added value in a bigger deal, but there's just not enough space for them when you have to compete with Kapanen, Rychel, Johnsson, Soshnikov, Leivo and Grundstrom (and Aaltonen if he plays wing) for 2 or 3 jobs at most.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Glad that the Hamonic trade didn't go through. Would rather have JVR+Hainsey, then Only Hamonic. Hamonic is better than Hainsey but not to the extent we lose jvr

Put Liljegren in there too. They wanted our 1st round pick on top of JvR, which is why it didn't go through. Absolutely stupid price for a Zaitsev level player coming off of a serious injury, even if he had a nice contract. He doesn't even look great in Calgary from the highlights I have seen. Hainsey, on the other hand, is doing exactly what I expeted him to do, and does not look out of place with Rielly at all. Just looking at how Rielly has played through the first 7 games of the season, I am sure he's really happy too... Especially considering he has far from peaked.

We need to keep them together as much as possibly though. They've looked their worst when apart, which makes sense considering they are playing with our 6/7 defensemen most of this time.

Reactions: jaric1862

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I personally do not think Bozak goes anywhere. But there is a possibility if the right deal comes along that both Komarov and JVR are dealt. But now isn't the time.
I think Uncle Leo would be the last of these 3 to get moved.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I mean, we're bottom 5 or 10 in goals against last I checked and our goaltender apparently needs more help.

I think it's very simple why fans still would like to see a defensive upgrade, especially one that could be here for a few years. Better quality and depth is always a good thing. We have the expendable assets to make it happen as well.

There's no rush to make it happen though.

I don't want to force anything but if we can make a deal that makes sense. Zero hesitation. The defense is the obvious weak point on the team. I think our goaltending depth issues are taken care of.

Will we have anybody left to acquire Ryan McDonagh ?? ;)

The concussion issues are too concerning. I also think he's a Ranger for Life. Rick Nash could be had by TDL I think though.

I could see adding one of Braun or Muzzin if the price is right. Muzzin is better IMO but Braun is likely cheaper. Adding both seems pointless, why have 5mil Rielly on the third pair? Too crowded. Would destroy our depth if it was even possible, no thanks.

I don't think we need to destroy our depth to make it happen. I think we'd be deep on the back end and we'd be equipped for the play-offs.

The defense just needs to not screw up, hold down the fort and get the puck back up to our forwards.

We are 6-1 people!!! I really don't get this talk of change for the sake of change.

We have won all different types of games. Blowouts, comebacks, tight games, and overtime wins. This team has proven that they can win in any circumstance thus far. We have 2 new defensemen playing each game in our top 6, we have a goaltender that is known to be a slow starter as history has proven, and as discussed we have score giddy young forwards that have yet to fully buy into Babcocks system. Is there really a reason to overpay at this point for another defenseman without a quarter of the season completed?

I really think at one point or another injuries will occur, its inevitable. And the depth we have at forward will be greatly appreciated when that time comes. But I really do not think our D is as bad as everyone is making them out to be. Other then Gardiner and Zaitsev, there is no consistency to our D from past years and they are all starting to learn each other. Let them gel and then tinker where you need to when the right deal comes along.

All of the NHL right now knows the depth the Leafs have at forward. But no one is in the position to deal with them yet because its early. If Montreal or Edmonton or both NY teams or Minnesota or SJ continue to struggle offensively at the quarter mark , Toronto if continuing to be successful will be dealing from a position of strength.

I like the idea of dealing if it makes futures better or instantly upgrades our D. But I do not want the Leafs to seem desperate in any transaction. Others need to be and that will make us a better team.

I personally do not think Bozak goes anywhere. But there is a possibility if the right deal comes along that both Komarov and JVR are dealt. But now isn't the time.

You know we want to upgrade our defense because it's in need of an upgrade. Don't want to get bent over in a deal but if a deal makes sense let's do it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't want to force anything but if we can make a deal that makes sense. Zero hesitation. The defense is the obvious weak point on the team. I think our goaltending depth issues are taken care of.

The concussion issues are too concerning. I also think he's a Ranger for Life. Rick Nash could be had by TDL I think though.

I don't think we need to destroy our depth to make it happen. I think we'd be deep on the back end and we'd be equipped for the play-offs.

The defense just needs to not screw up, hold down the fort and get the puck back up to our forwards.

You know we want to upgrade our defense because it's in need of an upgrade. Don't want to get bent over in a deal but if a deal makes sense let's do it.

Honestly, I feel like the best way to improve defensively is to get rid of Bozak and JvR (and hope that Marner gets better as a result). That forward line has probably been the worst thing for us defensively. Rosen/Borgman I think are number two, but far down the list to the point where it is not even worth it right now. The rest of the team does not really look bad defensively. Some mistakes here or there that cost us, but personnel changes are probably not going to stop that from happening. They happen to everyone, including the best of the best. The only guys we could get who could significantly improve any other area will likely cost us way more than is worth it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think Uncle Leo would be the last of these 3 to get moved.

I feel like if you moved JvR and then had Marleau move beside Bozak and Marner, it could at least be a decent defensively line that will make up for it offensively. None of the three are great defensively, but Marner and Marleau at least back check and know where they need to be (most of the time) and Bozak is at least semi-capable in his own end and is excellent in the dot. It's not ideal, but it shouldn't cost us too much either.

Plus added bonus of getting assets out of JvR and giving a depth guy or a Marlie a shot on the 4th line RW. Maybe Soshnikov works with them again. He didn't score much with Smith as his center, but Moore or Fehr could get a decent amount out of him. At the very worst, it's a good fore checking line with a couple of PKer's on it who are half decent at shot suppression.

Unless the Leafs are out of it, I think it'll be hard for management to justify moving both out to the average Leafs fan. Even one would be difficult to justify, but at least they could say "we had 10 top 9 guys and we feel like this will help us out now and in the future". I can see most Leafs fans buying that, especially if the return is significant enough.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I understand the importance of being three lines deep, but that does not mean it should contain Bozak and JvR. We could fill those spots with cheaper guys (who are likely better defensively) and still get much of the production. If the Leafs lost JvR, Bozak and Komarov to FA, they still have 7 of their existing top 9 forwards plus a handful of prospects who could easily step into a top 9 role in the near future. That does not include any FA adds the Leafs may make (albeit cheaper ones than bringing JvR or Bozak back).

Really you need to find a winger to replace Komarov (if not Komarov himself), some 4th liners and depth guys, and a center/winger to replace Bozak (depending upon where Nylander goes). 4C job can easily go to one of Aaltonen or Gauthier. The 4RW and depth jobs could easily be filled internally as well, if not by cheap FA acquisitions like Moore. The two top 9 jobs can be filled by someone like Leivo, Kapanen, Komarov, or a cheaper FA signing than JvR or Bozak. I'd assume we either bring back Komarov or use an internal replacement to fill his spot rather than bring in a new FA.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander/Prospect/FA
Marleau-FA/Nylander-Marner
Komarov/Prospect-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Aaltonen/Gauthier-Prospect/FA
Prospects/FA's

Prospects include: Leivo, Kapanen, Rychel, Johnsson, Grundstrom and Soshnikov. Maybe Korshkov, Brooks and Bracco can be thrown into the mix as well, but I think they'll need at least another year after this one. I expect Moore and Timashov to be dealt before we give them any real shot. Essentially used like Lindberg in the Pickard deal. I can see some teams wanting them if we go after some rentals or we need some extra added value in a bigger deal, but there's just not enough space for them when you have to compete with Kapanen, Rychel, Johnsson, Soshnikov, Leivo and Grundstrom (and Aaltonen if he plays wing) for 2 or 3 jobs at most.

I definitely agree that you don't need to have JVR & Bozak as your "3rd line" but you definitely need some sort of production similar to what they're providing.

That's the only thing that I'm pointing out. Sure, they're not great defensively, but the point is that the Leafs have the ability to outscore other teams.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Remember how when we were saying we need to move a goalie when we acquired Pickard from Vegas:

Vegas needs a goalie bad. Legace and Dansk are both awful, even at the AHL level, and they have Subban as their starter... Who was a waiver pick up like 2 weeks ago.

Since we are a team with 5 goalies worthy of playing at either the NHL or AHL level full time, I would see if we can do a minor swap with them. They've got some decent late round prospects or picks I would easily take for one of Kaskisuo or Sparks. We could even try to alleviate our log jam at forward and defense while we are at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad