Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Given the aftermath of the Demers trade and the talk of the not trading with an in-division opponent, I'm wondering how many ppl are thinking that Florida could displace us as a playoff team?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
leivo small+ for Colin miller from vegas? they have 11 Dmen and 10 need waivers the one that doesn't is Theodore who could well be there best dman

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
leivo small+ for Colin miller from vegas? they have 11 Dmen and 10 need waivers the one that doesn't is Theodore who could well be there best dman

Open to it.

Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rielly-Miller
Dermott-Hainsey
Carrick

?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've got some serious reservations that Miller is capable of taking on a top 4 role

He looked good in pretty limited ice time with Boston, he's looked pretty good with Vegas I believe.

The problem is in Boston I don't think he got any PP/PK time. You just have to trust your pro scouts on his ability to take his game to the next level. Hainsey is a good partner to help break Dermott into the league.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
but a potential top4 Dman or a better carrick is better than a lesser forward when we have a lot of spare forwards its a risk I would take

Carrick+Leivo for Miller+3rd?

Doesn't really help their defense situation I suppose.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He looked good in pretty limited ice time with Boston, he's looked pretty good with Vegas I believe.

The problem is in Boston I don't think he got any PP/PK time. You just have to trust your pro scouts on his ability to take his game to the next level. Hainsey is a good partner to help break Dermott into the league.

He was even more sheltered than Carrick playing on the Bruins third pair

He's got a good shot and decent offensive instincts, his defensive play is a huge question mark and we've already got Rosen with a good skating and a good shot so I just don't see the fit personally

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Reading some of the thoughts about Nylander and Marner made me wonder do these other fans watch them play or is it just the anti Leaf bias?

Would anyone here trade either for Laine as an example?
Not sure I would.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Still a lot of talk about trading for D, but I am wondering what the possibilities are of trading for a decent, young backup goalie. I am thinking along the lines of Saros or someone similar. Haven't put any thought into it yet.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Still a lot of talk about trading for D, but I am wondering what the possibilities are of trading for a decent, young backup goalie. I am thinking along the lines of Saros or someone similar. Haven't put any thought into it yet.

I would say very low. If Freddy goes down with a significant injury I would think we'll trade for a stop gap, not a guy looking to supplant Freddy. Freddy is signed long term so they wont look to replace him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Reading some of the thoughts about Nylander and Marner made me wonder do these other fans watch them play or is it just the anti Leaf bias?

Not sure I would.

It'd certainly be a major trade, but I don't see the point. Seems too in the instances such a move happens, that it's typically motivated by things like contract or playing time/usage problems with one or both sides.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
well in the waiver fodder with goaltenders you may have some odd moves this year.

detroit has howard mrazek and comeau .. with Detroit leaving mrazek unprotected you wonder if he can be had

I think both kinkaid and wedgewood may be waiver fodder as well tho I'm not sure

just to name a couple. but there is always options at this point of the year.

with that being said. its 2 games in to the pre season. and everyone needs something to write home about.

we will see what the next couple weeks change. if nothing then I could see a trade or a pick up. if sparks or mac regain some sort of form we will stand fast

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

That goalie would probably have to come from within the organization. Think they'd only be traded by a team if they were looking to become more than just a backup.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Not sure I would.

if we could get Laine for Marner I'd do it for sure. I like the idea of keeping the centers in the fold, but I think if you polled the whole league to rank these guys that Laine wins that poll

I do see what you're saying where Leaf players get discounted though, like Nylander for Chabot or Matthews for Trouba which both showed up on the trade board today

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
if we could get Laine for Marner I'd do it for sure. I like the idea of keeping the centers in the fold, but I think if you polled the whole league to rank these guys that Laine wins that poll

I do see what you're saying where Leaf players get discounted though, like Nylander for Chabot or Matthews for Trouba which both showed up on the trade board today

Laine is a one dimensional player
Schefile makes him better - he has a shot - he doesn't make anyone else better he just compliments his line

Marner makes players he plays with better. It's no coincidence that jvr and bozak both had career years last year unless you think they both improved by themselves

I wouldn't trade marner for laine it would make our offence weaker

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Laine is a one dimensional player
Schefile makes him better - he has a shot - he doesn't make anyone else better he just compliments his line

Marner makes players he plays with better. It's no coincidence that jvr and bozak both had career years last year unless you think they both improved by themselves

I wouldn't trade marner for laine it would make our offence weaker

I don't think that's a reasonable assessment for a guy who almost challenged for the 1st OA pick in a year that had a near-generational center prospect. We see a lot of Laine's shot on the highlights (because it's among the best in the world) but he's a very dangerous offensive player in a lot of ways including as a setup man

I agree that Marner has a ton of vision and creates a lot of opportunity for his linemates, but he doesn't have Laine's shot or size so he gives up at least as many categories as he has over Laine. I don't agree that last year was a career year for either JVR or Bozak: JVR's been super consistent for a long time, Bozak had better offensive years with Kessel than last year he just didn't play as many games. It was the first time those guys saw the 3rd hardest matchups on the team instead of the 1st hardest matchups too, the team's offense used to be built around that line

Marner is one of the best young players in hockey, Laine is also one of the best young players in hockey

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
I wouldn't mind seeing something based around JVR and Dante Fabbro. Fabbro is a young RHD, extremely mobile, and defensively sound. Nashville lost Neal in the expansion draft and probably want to replace some of those goals. They're stacked at D and could afford to lose a prospect there, even with Ellis injured right now. Plus you gotta love Nashville's track record for drafting and developing D. I don't know if he's completely ready yet but I like how it sets us up moving forward on the right side with Fabbro and Liljegren. Toss in one or two of our 85 wing prospects to get it done if you have to.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
And why Brown?

Leafs should look to unload brown for a Dman sometime this season.

You have limited our trading partners and options. We don't have to trade Brown at all at $2.5 M. What if Winnipeg offers Trouba for Zaitsev because they don't want to pay him? What if LA calls and offers Doughty for Liljegren plus our first in 2019? Leafs fans were only talking Brown when it was for Manson.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
I don't think that's a reasonable assessment for a guy who almost challenged for the 1st OA pick in a year that had a near-generational center prospect. We see a lot of Laine's shot on the highlights (because it's among the best in the world) but he's a very dangerous offensive player in a lot of ways including as a setup man

I agree that Marner has a ton of vision and creates a lot of opportunity for his linemates, but he doesn't have Laine's shot or size so he gives up at least as many categories as he has over Laine. I don't agree that last year was a career year for either JVR or Bozak: JVR's been super consistent for a long time, Bozak had better offensive years with Kessel than last year he just didn't play as many games. It was the first time those guys saw the 3rd hardest matchups on the team instead of the 1st hardest matchups too, the team's offense used to be built around that line

Marner is one of the best young players in hockey, Laine is also one of the best young players in hockey

I'm not saying thar laine isn't a good young hockey player but add him to our team and he just compliments the team. He doesn't make us better or anyone on his line better. Laine can't drive a line by himself as evidenced when he was taken off schefile line his production went down.

Marner makes us better. He can drive a line by himself. Laine can't.

As far as challenging for first overall that is something that was built up by the media. Matthews is far ahead of laine. Matthews drives a line by himself. Again laine doesn't. When he was put on their second line he disappeared for games. Even when Matthews wasn't scoring he was still getting chances.

Laine is what he was advertised. A big kid with an elite shot.

Laine is just like ovechkin he can score. Backstrom drives the ovechkin line. Who would you rather have Crosby or ovechkin, I know who I would pick.

I'm not saying laine doesn't have a high hockey IQ because he certainly does but in my opinion he will never be a setup man.ill keep marner and yes he certainly made jvr and bozak better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->