Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I definitely agree that you don't need to have JVR & Bozak as your "3rd line" but you definitely need some sort of production similar to what they're providing.

That's the only thing that I'm pointing out. Sure, they're not great defensively, but the point is that the Leafs have the ability to outscore other teams.

Would we lose that ability if Kapanen or Leivo (or Marleau) was in his place? Personally, I don't think so. I think Marleau could get at least 50, if not close to 60, points in JvR's role, and I think the two prospects could get at least 40, if not close to 50. I think there would be an improvement defensively, plus you get the added benefit of a very nice bounty in return for JvR which can go towards sustainable success in the future, or provide assets for a more pressing need.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Remember how when we were saying we need to move a goalie when we acquired Pickard from Vegas:

Vegas needs a goalie bad. Legace and Dansk are both awful, even at the AHL level, and they have Subban as their starter... Who was a waiver pick up like 2 weeks ago.

Since we are a team with 5 goalies worthy of playing at either the NHL or AHL level full time, I would see if we can do a minor swap with them. They've got some decent late round prospects or picks I would easily take for one of Kaskisuo or Sparks. We could even try to alleviate our log jam at forward and defense while we are at it.
That would be the Vegas GM admitting a mistake trading with the same thing. They will not trade for a TML goalie this season

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Would we lose that ability if Kapanen or Leivo (or Marleau) was in his place? Personally, I don't think so. I think Marleau could get at least 50, if not close to 60, points in JvR's role, and I think the two prospects could get at least 40, if not close to 50. I think there would be an improvement defensively, plus you get the added benefit of a very nice bounty in return for JvR which can go towards sustainable success in the future, or provide assets for a more pressing need.

Connor Brown put up 36 points last year on the 3rd line while only playing 1:13 of power play time. So while we're hoping for 50 points out of a 3rd line rookie winger, I'm not sure how attainable it is. 40 points is probably a good bar to set.

We should also keep in mind that the 3rd pairing is a complete disaster early in the season. They haven't been trusted to do a lot in the game unless the game is out of reach. Neither is playing a lot on the PK and all are averaging 14:44 or less. At some point they need to get something out of that pair.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I truly believe that the Leafs need to sign Roman Polak. 1 year. Vet minimum.

Send Rosen down for a full year to get experience. Keep a rotation of Borgman, Carrick and Polak.

Take a look at the amount of PK time Ron Hainsey plays per game. 6min a game. A game. That's a ton.

Need to get some depth or make a trade to get someone else in.

Reactions: jaric1862

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

If the winning continues and the Maple Leafs remain at or near the top of the conference, trade rumours will inevitably surround the team. This is seen as a year to be aggressive and go for it if Toronto lives up to the regular season hype, and make sure they use all their cap resources to acquire players to push them forward now, before the likes of William Nylander, Auston Matthews and Marner get their large paydays in the next year or two.

At that point, the focus will be around acquiring at least a top-four defenceman, and a right-handed shot at that. But if the team gets aggressive in this regard, they’ll have to give up something to get something good.

Lamoriello also spoke about the trade market and his philosophy that if you make a trade to address one need, you need to make sure you’re not potentially opening up a new weakness. And that’s the difficulty with the trade market these days: the salary cap has put everyone on near equal footing, and it’s becoming harder and harder to find a willing trade partner.

“Sure it’s more difficult because of the cap era and also because of parity. Everybody feels they have a chance and certainly at this time of year everybody feels coming into the season they have just as much of a chance as the next guy,” Lamoriello said.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Connor Brown put up 36 points last year on the 3rd line while only playing 1:13 of power play time. So while we're hoping for 50 points out of a 3rd line rookie winger, I'm not sure how attainable it is. 40 points is probably a good bar to set.

We should also keep in mind that the 3rd pairing is a complete disaster early in the season. They haven't been trusted to do a lot in the game unless the game is out of reach. Neither is playing a lot on the PK and all are averaging 14:44 or less. At some point they need to get something out of that pair.

Well I'd expect better than 36 points if they were in the JvR role. JvR gets a lot of offensive minutes and PP time. I think Brown would have got close to 50 points had he been in that role as well.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014

Send Rosen down for a full year to get experience. Keep a rotation of Borgman, Carrick and Polak.

Take a look at the amount of PK time Ron Hainsey plays per game. 6min a game. A game. That's a ton.

Completely Agree with this. Was actually going to post something like this. The only 2 defenseman on this team which are killing penalties at the moment are Zaitsev and Hainsey. We need to add another guy like Polak, who can help those two out. Carrick should be in the press box

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Completely Agree with this. Was actually going to post something like this. The only 2 defenseman on this team which are killing penalties at the moment are Zaitsev and Hainsey. We need to add another guy like Polak, who can help those two out. Carrick should be in the press box

In a perfect world we could flip Carrick + to a non playoff team for a better Polak with 2 years left (keep seat warm for Liljegren).
I'd like to have a steady vet lining up next to Borgman, and I don't see Carrick as a long term answer anymore.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
In a perfect world we could flip Carrick + to a non playoff team for a better Polak with 2 years left (keep seat warm for Liljegren).
I'd like to have a steady vet lining up next to Borgman, and I don't see Carrick as a long term answer anymore.

Yep you guys read my mind

I was thinking we move the puck to well and need a gigantic plug on the backend to teach everyone how to ice the puck every second shift

Any other non puck moving plug you guys interested in?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Yep you guys read my mind

I was thinking we move the puck to well and need a gigantic plug on the backend to teach everyone how to ice the puck every second shift

Any other non puck moving plug you guys interested in?

I said a better Polak. Another Hainsey type, there does that make you feel better?
Would you really be comfortable with Borgman/Rosen -- Carrick pairing going into the playoffs?
We saw how much Babs liked Carrick last year in the playoffs.
I'm hoping we don't have to play everyone in our top 4 26+ minutes each night.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I said a better Polak. Another Hainsey type, there does that make you feel better?
Would you really be comfortable with Borgman/Rosen -- Carrick pairing going into the playoffs?
We saw how much Babs liked Carrick last year in the playoffs.
I'm hoping we don't have to play everyone in our top 4 26+ minutes each night.

Yeah, that won't be hard to find and cost a fortune to trade for

Their young guys, it's called development so keep on developing them and don't bail, Carrick is in his 2nd full season and Is rolling a 59.4 xgf% (+5.5rel), against weak competition
Jesus it's almost like he's actually improving

Don't bail on the philosophy because things get a bit hard as the kids learn

I know this may be a bit hard for people on here to understand but as players develop and get experience they can take more/tougher minutes

Giving up and not developing our young defenseman properly is the reason our blue line has sucked for years

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Their young guys, it's called development so keep on developing them and don't bail, Carrick is in his 2nd full season and Is rolling a 59.4 xgf% (+5.5rel), against weak competition

I know this may be a bit hard for people on here to understand but as players develop and get experience they can take more/tougher minutes

Giving up and not developing our young defenseman properly is the reason our blue line has sucked for years

Very good response.

Just because a player played less in a playoff series, it doesn't mean the coach doesn't like said player. Just like Babcock doesn't dislike Nylander or Marner for demoting them at one point or another.

I feel like if the Leafs are to trade for someone, it would be to go for that big upgrade defensively, which should push some players down the depth chart and that makes us better in the process. I don't want another Polak/Marincin/depth defenseman that won't do any better than what we have. It makes very little sense to me.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Guys like Hainsey get traded at every deadline, in fact if memory serves me correct our very own Ron Hainsey was dealt just last year, for a B prospect and a 2nd. With the amount of depth we have on the Marlies I'm sure a prospect and Carrick could get a decent return in the new year.
I don't really care what Carricks advanced stats against weak competition look like, Marincin had good stars against weak competition too. I do know that Carrick is option no. 6 on the PK, that means he's not great in his own end, and he hasn't earned Babs trust yet, I also know it's only a matter of time (mid next season) at the latest that his spot will belong to Liljegren, so like I said I don't really see Carrick here long term.
Just like most playoff bound teams every year, I think an upgrade on our bottom pair would be huge going into the playoffs, especially if the guy we could grab was a decent PKer.
Additionally, if Zaitsev or Hainsey got hurt at some point, I'm very uncomfortable moving Carrick up in the lineup.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think you get more bang for your buck if you trade for a dman at the TDL. Unless the team is losing, or the D is costing us games or we are in a dog fight for a playoff spot I think the best strategy is to wait until then like we did last year when we needed a #4C and acquired Boyle.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Very good response.

Just because a player played less in a playoff series, it doesn't mean the coach doesn't like said player. Just like Babcock doesn't dislike Nylander or Marner for demoting them at one point or another.

I feel like if the Leafs are to trade for someone, it would be to go for that big upgrade defensively, which should push some players down the depth chart and that makes us better in the process. I don't want another Polak/Marincin/depth defenseman that won't do any better than what we have. It makes very little sense to me.

I doubt we see a blockbuster at this point in order to move Hainsey down the lineup, I think we would all prefer it, but i doubt it happens.

I think it's much more likely Babs is asking for a solid vet on the 3rd pair that can kill penalties at this point. I doubt he's real comfortable rolling out rookies or Gardiner on the PK at this point.

I don't mind Carrick, but I don't love him being the "vet" on the bottom pair. I don't think it would too hard to find an decent upgrade for him that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. It's not like he's destined to be a fixture in our Top 4 long term, he's replaceable with in-house options as soon as next season.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I doubt we see a blockbuster at this point in order to move Hainsey down the lineup, I think we would all prefer it, but i doubt it happens.

I think it's much more likely Babs is asking for a solid vet on the 3rd pair that can kill penalties at this point. I doubt he's real comfortable rolling out rookies or Gardiner on the PK at this point.

I don't mind Carrick, but I don't love him being the "vet" on the bottom pair. I don't think it would too hard to find an decent upgrade for him that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. It's not like he's destined to be a fixture in our Top 4 long term, he's replaceable with in-house options as soon as next season.

Like Polak? He is tagging along still.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Like Polak? He is tagging along still.

I like that Polak is hanging around for insurance purposes if we get a couple of injuries, but personally I'd be prefer another Hainsey type and I'd be fine with moving Carrick+ for one.

I think Borgman needs someone that can move the puck a bit better at this stage of his development.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Not sure what's the problem with Carrick or the bottom pair right now anyway. They are from the issue. If an injury happens, whoever is on that bottom pairing won't fair much better than any of them higher in the lineup.

Not many teams have defenseman better tha Carrick to give away. I'm not sure why you think they are easy to find. If they are that much better than Carrick, it probably means they aren't really bottom pairing defenders.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't make much sense to make a marginal upgrade on the bottom pairing when the need is at the top of the lineup. You might as well keep your assets, no matter how low on the value meter they are, to go after an actual upgrade. There should be plenty of defensive upgrades up for grabs as we get closer to the trade deadline.

A few names that come to mind: Tanev, Myers, Green, Muzzin (apparently?), McDonagh, etc.

Last edited:

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Not sure what's the problem with Carrick or the bottom pair right now anyway. They are from the issue. If an injury happens, whoever is on that bottom pairing won't fair much better than any of them higher in the lineup.

Not many teams have defenseman better than Carrick to give away. I'm not sure why you think they are easy to find. If they are better than Carrick, it probably means they aren't really bottom pairing defenders.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't make much sense to make a marginal upgrade on the bottom pairing when the need is at the top of the lineup. You might as well keep your assets, no matter how low on the value meter they are, to go after an actual upgrade. There should be plenty of defensive upgrades up for grabs as we get closer to the trade deadline.

A few names that come to mind: Tanev, Myers, Green, Muzzin (apparently?), McDonagh, etc.

The problem with the bottom pairing is Babcock doesn't trust them defensively. How often does a coach not trust either of his bottom pair Dmen to PK? If slashing penalties continue we are going to burn out Hainsey/Zait by having them on the PK 6+ min. per game. I don't even really care about getting a big improvement over Carrick, just need someone a little more reliable that can PK, those aren't that tough to find.

Our top 4 isn't getting caved in so far this year, the Rielly pairing is dominating possession at this point, and Gardiner will bounce back after a couple tough games.

What will it cost to get one of those guys that you mentioned? And will we be moving out guys (Kappy) that we need to fill holes in our lineup once JVR/Bozak/Leo walk in the summer? Because those guys are definitely walking in the summer if you bring in another Top 4 dman.

Are you prepared to move a top prospect plus a 1st for one of them?

I'll take the marginal upgrade to the bottom pairing personally.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
JVR and Bozak retained to 2.x m each. Rychel, Valiev and a 2nd

For

Wayne Simmonds

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm pretty sure the phone goes silent, than some whispering, than an uproar of laughter from Philadelphia's end of the phone.

Maybe, he only has two years on contract. I think the biggest sticking point is JVR back to PHI and the loss of a loved player. Simmonds would love it though! I would add more to get it done as well!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There are not too many 30 goal scorers that can do the other things Simmonds does. I would love him on my team, but the cost would be sky high, i'm guessing it starts with Nylander.

No way, he only has 2years left. The sticking point would be how he is loved really. The guy is 29 now and all. I mean he commands value but its not insane values

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia