Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
"Clears the front of the net" is a term that I cannot take seriously.

Why?
I mean i don't give a fig if we get Polak or Not - I doubt that will happen, but how can you not take seriously clearing the front of the net?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
i really, really, really want Montreal's first.
or someone's who needs help scoring. who can we target.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
This is my dream:
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Kapanen Tavares Marner
Marleau/leivo Kadri Brown

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

They would protect it but I would now trade with them seeing this debacle of a team. Be nice Daisy, would be a very nice destination for say Bozak, or JVR or both, but as others have mentioned what if JVR Bozak for this year gets us a cup. What if... What if.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why?
I mean i don't give a fig if we get Polak or Not - I doubt that will happen, but how can you not take seriously clearing the front of the net?

Because it doesn't happen nearly as much people think it does and when someone does dare to "clear the front of the net", it's a penalty because you know... interference. Some fans are still in the 80s/90s where you could literally hold someone with one hand to stop him from skating, or just hit someone in the net at will without any penalty.

What happens is that you want your defenseman to gain position, tie up sticks and obviously pick up rebounds and whatever else happens infront of a goaltender. You don't need to be a physical specimen per say to be able to do these things.

Pushing and shoving infront of a net isn't really clearing the crease and again, Polak isn't much better at doing that than anyone we currently have.

Polaks is a hard worker, he isn't a bad skater and does play a physical game, there's no doubting that. But he's out of position a lot, gets lost in the defensive zone and struggles horribly at moving the puck out of his zone.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Because it doesn't happen nearly as much people think it does and when someone does dare to "clear the front of the net", it's a penalty because you know... interference. Some fans are still in the 80s/90s where you could literally hold someone with one hand to stop him from skating.

What happens is that you want your defenseman to gain position, tie up sticks and obviously pick up rebounds and whatever else happens infront of a goaltender. You don't need to be a physical specimen per say to be able to do these things.

Pushing and shoving infront of a net isn't really clearing the crease.

okay. that's fair.
like i said, was more focused on how you get clearing the net (vs. the Polak ;) ). but that makes sense. thanks, dave.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
They would protect it but I would now trade with them seeing this debacle of a team. Be nice Daisy, would be a very nice destination for say Bozak, or JVR or both, but as others have mentioned what if JVR Bozak for this year gets us a cup. What if... What if.

haha i want to be ruthless.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
I think Leivo needs to be playing honestly you cant waste another year of him not playing. His development would be non existent. If I where his agent I would be trying to find another team to play me asap!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Leivo needs to be playing honestly you cant waste another year of him not playing. His development would be non existent. If I where his agent I would be trying to find another team to play me asap!

It's a terrible situation. I hope they can trade him soon, or even waive him, to give him a chance somewhere.

I could see a team like the Kings having mild interest while Carter is out long-term. Leivo would really fit their team well.

Something like a conditional pick 4th rounder depending on his games played or whatever.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
It's a terrible situation. I hope they can trade him soon, or even waive him, to give him a chance somewhere.

I could see a team like the Kings having mild interest while Carter is out long-term. Leivo would really fit their team well.

Something like a conditional pick 4th rounder depending on his games played or whatever.

Would a Leivo for Ville Pokka trade work for the blackhawks? Or a Leivo for a nice RHD whos in a similiar situation like Ryan Sproul?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Would a Leivo for Ville Pokka trade work for the blackhawks? Or a Leivo for a nice RHD whos in a similiar situation like Ryan Sproul?

Pokka isn't really good. Cleared waivers not long ago and considering the amount of teams looking for quality defenders, I'd say his value isn't good enough, at least not for the Leafs.

I think at this rate you're looking at a mid round pick with conditions if you're trading Leivo. He hasn't played very much in the last year and so teams won't want to move out something too valuable.

Sharks, Ducks, Wild and the Canucks are teams that could use more scoring depth. Leivo isn't a superstar by any means but he's definitely an interesting player that could maybe give you good secondary scoring.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

honeslty giving them JVR probably helps us more than them, we get their 1st, ++ and we get to take advantage of JVR's lazy defensive play when we play them. but he will score for them

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Who are our Komarov and JVR Replacements? Leivo and Kapanen?

I don't think Leivo will be around much longer. Either we'll trade him first or he'll ask to be traded.

I expect Kapanen to be here latest next season as a regular and the other spot is up for grabs (hope another Marlie takes it).

If Bozak is gone, I still think Matthews and Nylander stick together as a tandem and I could see a vet 3C come in on a short term deal

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
honeslty giving them JVR probably helps us more than them, we get their 1st, ++ and we get to take advantage of JVR's lazy defensive play when we play them. but he will score for them

Yeah. The way it's going, Montreal is looking at a top 5 pick, so there's no chance they would consider trading their 1st for a rental unless A) By January-Feburary, their in the playoff race (which I doubt), B) The 1st round pick is heavily protected (ex. lottery protected for this season and next and if they still miss the playoffs by year 3, it turns into a 2nd round pick)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Which season?

Why wouldn't it be internal, we have several wingers either ready today or with clear NHL upside.

as the organization has shown they will go and find talent wherever, and then worry about what they have collected. so i wouldn't assume that just because they are there [in house] those are automatically the replacements.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

lol right?
like honestly - and i agree with ferraro on this. I don't care about trading within my division. if it gets me what i want i'm all for it.
Montreal can not score.

unprotected 1st. + ________________ (I want Mete LOL)
for JVR + ___________

Reactions: MJ65
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad