Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Like it or not, we have to trade somebody and Bozak a C for a 2nd rounder, no thanks. We will have a logjam at wing soon and these guys and their agents will want to play. We can't even afford JVR at $5M/yr. You keep JVR and it will cost us elsewhere. Chicago paid 5 guys and won cups. You starting paying 6 or 7 guys and you implode elsewhere. You can let him walk for nothing but with Leivo , Kappanen and perhaps Johnson why would you?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Like it or not, we have to trade somebody and Bozak a C for a 2nd rounder, no thanks. We will have a logjam at wing soon and these guys and their agents will want to play. We can't even afford JVR at $5M/yr. You keep JVR and it will cost us elsewhere. Chicago paid 5 guys and won cups. You starting paying 6 or 7 guys and you implode elsewhere. You can let him walk for nothing but with Leivo , Kappanen and perhaps Johnson why would you?

Likely a case of other teams know we will, or should trade. Lou doesn't like that and probably isn't talking about it to anyone. I bet he will wait for someone to approach him and it's the right move to make as well. I mean, we are certainly contenders this year as is, so it's a good cover. Alternatively he just likes it as is and wants to gun for it.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Definitely worth trying to get if he is indeed on the market

I think we have the potential to build up our defense. We just need to solidify the defense and make sure these guys can get the puck up to our forwards.

Acquire Muzzin, I proposed 2 2nds, Kapanen, and Marincin in the thread on the trade side. No idea if it's enough, would welcome feedback but after that we have a few options

1) Move Rielly to RD and play him with Muzzin
2) Trade 1 of Rielly or Gardiner for a RHD to play in the top 4
3) Be super deep on the left side
4) Acquire another right handed defenseman without trading Rielly or Gardiner. Tanev?

1)

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick

2)

Trade Carrick, 1st round pick, Bracco, Fehr (cap) for Tanev

Muzzin-Tanev
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rielly-Hainsey
(ignore the order of the pairings)

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I think we have the potential to build up our defense. We just need to solidify the defense and make sure these guys can get the puck up to our forwards.

Acquire Muzzin, I proposed 2 2nds, Kapanen, and Marincin in the thread on the trade side. No idea if it's enough, would welcome feedback but after that we have a few options

1) Move Rielly to RD and play him with Muzzin
2) Trade 1 of Rielly or Gardiner for a RHD to play in the top 4
3) Be super deep on the left side
4) Acquire another right handed defenseman without trading Rielly or Gardiner. Tanev?

1)

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick

2)

Trade Carrick, 1st round pick, Bracco, Fehr (cap) for Tanev

Muzzin-Tanev
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rielly-Hainsey
(ignore the order of the pairings)
In that scenario, tanev is absolutely unnecessary.
Having one of Borgman/Carrick paired with Hainsey on the bottom pairing is more than capable and one of the best bottom pairings in the league.
Rielly - Muzzin
Gardiner - Zaitzev
Borg - Hainsey.

Another alternative is Justin Braun from San Jose who may be looking to sell this year.

Yesterday I agreed to a package of Soshnikov + 2nd/3rd + Marincin for Braun which is a great deal IMO.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
In that scenario, tanev is absolutely unnecessary.
Having one of Borgman/Carrick paired with Hainsey on the bottom pairing is more than capable and one of the best bottom pairings in the league.
Rielly - Muzzin
Gardiner - Zaitzev
Borg - Hainsey.

Another alternative is Justin Braun from San Jose who may be looking to sell this year.

Yesterday I agreed to a package of Soshnikov + 2nd/3rd + Marincin for Braun which is a great deal IMO.

Let's Add Braun too. Muzzin hasn't played RD. Soshnikov+3rd+Marincin+ Bracco for Braun. Fehr goes in the Muzzin deal.

Muzzin-Braun
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Reilly-Hainsey

Stupidly deep.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I really believe we could move out JVR and Bozak and still compete with little to no ill effect. Lets break down the team.

Jake Rielly Hainsey Z-Vets
Rosen Carrick Borgman (22-23)
Polak (Vet who seems to be in waiting)

Marleau, Kadri, Komarov, Fehr, Moore, Martin (Vets)
Matthews, Nylander, Hyman, Brown (Trustworthy youth most situations)
Marner (Usually trustworthy but having a rough go ATM should be fine)

Kappy, Leivo (The real rookies)

Bozak, JVR (The vets for trade)

Does removing those two components really bother you? We could trade for a defensively responsible player to stick with them if need be. I think we are built to win with or without them tbh.

I think so too. Bozak I'm OK with keeping as the return probably wouldn't be great but man, people are so worried about chemistry and whatever if we trade JVR, you'd think this is Mark Messier we're talking about here. If JVR were to be traded tomorrow, a not unlikely scenario is that we go 5-1 in the next 6 games and the same people who are ridiculing the idea of trading him would vomit at the thought of bringing him back.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
we need to draft a couple francophone this year or next so we can trade them to montreal for dahlin in a year or 2. when they decide we need more Quebecers no I'm not serious but they have done some puzzling moves like that over the years

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why are we desperate to sell assets for a D only 7 games in to the season... while holding a 6-1-0 record???!!!

Trading for a D right now is so counter intuitive that its on the level of EDM. Do you guys just have some fav players you like and want to see on the leafs at all costs??

The way this team is playing you just let them play and keep tweaking.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why are we desperate to sell assets for a D only 7 games in to the season... while holding a 6-1-0 record???!!!

Trading for a D right now is so counter intuitive that its on the level of EDM. Do you guys just have some fav players you like and want to see on the leafs at all costs??

I mean, we're bottom 5 or 10 in goals against last I checked and our goaltender apparently needs more help.

I think it's very simple why fans still would like to see a defensive upgrade, especially one that could be here for a few years. Better quality and depth is always a good thing. We have the expendable assets to make it happen as well.

There's no rush to make it happen though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I mean, we're bottom 5 in goals against last I checked and our goaltender apparently needs more help.

I think it's very simple why fans still would like to see a defensive upgrade, especially one that could be here for a few years. Better quality and depth is always a good thing. We have the expendable assets to make it happen as well.

We just have googlii-eyed kids with the kiddy pride going out there and trying to win at the track meet. They have been more disciplined already the past couple games.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yup. This unfortunately goes against my trade JVR mantra but what can you do. And our defence looks very good right now and we have Dermott and Liljegren on the way so ...

I still hate the idea of losing 3 good players for nothing after this season and I'm one of the few who WANTS to trade for futures as I want to contend for a decade but I digress ...

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If the Leafs goaltending and defence so bad why is it they have outscored their opponents in 6 of 7 games this year?
Every team has issues with their 5,6,7 Dmen, the Leafs are no different.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yup. This unfortunately goes against my trade JVR mantra but what can you do. And our defence looks very good right now and we have Dermott and Liljegren on the way so ...

I still hate the idea of losing 3 good players for nothing after this season and I'm one of the few who WANTS to trade for futures as I want to contend for a decade but I digress ...

Losing 3 players is criminal, it's terrible and a sin and should be punishable bylaw! That being said it's really quite early and we may have an injury and get to see Kappy or Leivo.

We lose a top6 line in full this year. Remember some of us freaking about MGK? It is a massive setback the difference is we have depth this time.

I think they are going to figure something out for that still. JVR value is on a rocket right now

RLF

May 5, 2014
Losing 3 players is criminal, it's terrible and a sin and should be punishable bylaw! That being said it's really quite early and we may have an injury and get to see Kappy or Leivo.

We lose a top6 line in full this year. Remember some of us freaking about MGK? It is a massive setback the difference is we have depth this time.

I think they are going to figure something out for that still. JVR value is on a rocket right now

I would be surprised to see any moves right now or anytime soon really. Hainsey was brought in to play with Rielly, and they do look better as games go on. They still need time to gel. JVR's biggest value will be at the TDL as his contract will be mostly paid and a team who is looking for some scoring will pay more then than now. Babcock will keep preaching and these guys will start playing more the "right way". If not, guys will find themselves in the pressbox and guys like Leivo/Kapanen will get chances.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would bet money that Tyler Bozak ends up back on a 2 or 3 year deal.

I don’t see a chance that JVR is back, even on this 8yr deal around 4M per thing floating around.

Komarov is gone for sure though. I think he heads back to the KHL

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Let's Add Braun too. Muzzin hasn't played RD. Soshnikov+3rd+Marincin+ Bracco for Braun. Fehr goes in the Muzzin deal.

Muzzin-Braun
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Reilly-Hainsey

Stupidly deep.

I could see adding one of Braun or Muzzin if the price is right. Muzzin is better IMO but Braun is likely cheaper. Adding both seems pointless, why have 5mil Rielly on the third pair? Too crowded. Would destroy our depth if it was even possible, no thanks.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
We are 6-1 people!!! I really don't get this talk of change for the sake of change.

We have won all different types of games. Blowouts, comebacks, tight games, and overtime wins. This team has proven that they can win in any circumstance thus far. We have 2 new defensemen playing each game in our top 6, we have a goaltender that is known to be a slow starter as history has proven, and as discussed we have score giddy young forwards that have yet to fully buy into Babcocks system. Is there really a reason to overpay at this point for another defenseman without a quarter of the season completed?

I really think at one point or another injuries will occur, its inevitable. And the depth we have at forward will be greatly appreciated when that time comes. But I really do not think our D is as bad as everyone is making them out to be. Other then Gardiner and Zaitsev, there is no consistency to our D from past years and they are all starting to learn each other. Let them gel and then tinker where you need to when the right deal comes along.

All of the NHL right now knows the depth the Leafs have at forward. But no one is in the position to deal with them yet because its early. If Montreal or Edmonton or both NY teams or Minnesota or SJ continue to struggle offensively at the quarter mark , Toronto if continuing to be successful will be dealing from a position of strength.

I like the idea of dealing if it makes futures better or instantly upgrades our D. But I do not want the Leafs to seem desperate in any transaction. Others need to be and that will make us a better team.

I personally do not think Bozak goes anywhere. But there is a possibility if the right deal comes along that both Komarov and JVR are dealt. But now isn't the time.

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->