Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Preaching patience. I like lit :)

Sometimes I feel that we just like moves to happen to give us something to talk about. Way to early to pass judgement on this team. If we were able to win the Cup in the first 6 games we would be in the finals already. Lots of time see how things go. Injuries are bound to happen. They always do and the depth we have is envied by everyone in the NHL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What makes you believe that we aren't going for it this year with the team assembled? We took out two potential favorites in Chicago and Washington with what we have. Which means we are more then capable to win with this team.

That being said, how do you correct your hole on the second line by trading Bozak at this point? Moving Nylander or Marleau to center? And then what moving others around to fill those holes? Too many moving parts just for the sake of trading Bozak who in my estimation has done his job. Wins draws, adds scoring, PP time, can kill penalties if needed to. Why break something that isn't broken? So what he and JVR are not the greatest defensively but trying to replace them the other ways to me is a lot to wish for internally.

Leave it alone. Its not broken.

I always do my best to plan for a better future without hindering myself in the present? Sometimes what seems like step back end up being a generational leap forward. Know what I mean?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Need Bozak for centre depth in a playoff run, but JVR is way less important to this team IMO, and would add anything in picks or in the minors excluding Dermott/Liljegren/Grundstrom/Kapanen for Muzzin. Maybe JVR + 1st 2019 that turns into 3rd 2019 if he signs + 2nd 2018

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I always do my best to plan for a better future without hindering myself in the present? Sometimes what seems like step back end up being a generational leap forward. Know what I mean?

But sometimes what may see like a generational leap forward ends up being multiple steps back. Look at Edmonton. How much do you think they want Hall and Eberle back right now??? No scoring depth outside of McDavid's line. All for their thought of a generational leap in acquiring Larrson. for what??? What did he turn into? Is he going to be the real deal? Time will tell. But I think Eberle and Hall in their lineup would have been better then Larsson right now.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
But sometimes what may see like a generational leap forward ends up being multiple steps back. Look at Edmonton. How much do you think they want Hall and Eberle back right now??? No scoring depth outside of McDavid's line. All for their thought of a generational leap in acquiring Larrson. for what??? What did he turn into? Is he going to be the real deal? Time will tell. But I think Eberle and Hall in their lineup would have been better then Larsson right now.

We have way more scoring depth than Oilers did, and Hall was the 2nd best at creating offence behind McDavid on the team, I'd say JVR is at best 5th on the team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

But people here want to trade for a D. I want futures and to keep the path and actually padding the path. Those players were under contract. I also know I have a better C in Nylander. I have a replacent for JVR in Brown. To address the left wing I have Leivo not to mention Kappy sitting around and Sosh.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The odds are JVR goes for a later first at TD. Lou hasn't been able to get what he wants for JVR. As the season progresses teams will get more desperate for scoring and JVR is playing like JVR. We have the needed sweatner in that we can give up a young offensive winger i.e Johnson,Bracco, Leivo but odds are Dmen will have premium on them. Hamonic wasn't cheap for Calgary. Im betting a playoff team at TD calls and pays a 20 to 30th overall pick to get him, even on rental.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
We have way more scoring depth than Oilers did, and Hall was the 2nd best at creating offence behind McDavid on the team, I'd say JVR is at best 5th on the team.

Options 4 and 6 become irrelevant or at least possibly become irrelevant when the chemistry is lost. Is this something you wish to risk?

In the end, there really isn't a right or wrong answer here. Just opinions. I am of one that if its not broken do not touch it. A 3-0 or 3-1 or 4-1 win isn't any better then a 5-3 or 6-4 or 4-2 win. A win is a win, we are winning, leave it alone. You want to get a rental to protect yourself in the case of another Polak injury in the playoffs by all means do so at the deadline, but unless we are getting a sure fire #1 or #2 Defensive defenseman in any deal I stand PAT. Some of the names being tossed around are not that type of dman. They can become another Komisarek in a heartbeat.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

They wouldn't, they can't afford the 12M in cap space that Hall and Eberle eat when the McDavid and Drai extensions kick in

Don't underestimate how much Larsson helped the Oilers last season, he's a bloody good player on a good contract

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
But people here want to trade for a D. I want futures and to keep the path and actually padding the path. Those players were under contract. I also know I have a better C in Nylander. I have a replacent for JVR in Brown. To address the left wing I have Leivo not to mention Kappy sitting around and Sosh.

So you want to risk breaking up Matthews and Nylander at the cost of JVR? Which in turn can possibly shut down Nylander's line as well with who ever hes asked to play with cause hes played with no one else.

Too risky

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
They wouldn't, they can't afford the 12M in cap space that Hall and Eberle eat when the McDavid and Drai extensions kick in

Don't underestimate how much Larsson helped the Oilers last season, he's a bloody good player on a good contract

But they aren't scoring and still letting in a lot of goals. Their defense isn't that much better for a player thought to be their savior in that regard. He's probably their best dman but that doesn't say much for the crop.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
But they aren't scoring and still letting in a lot of goals. Their defense isn't that much better for a player thought to be their savior in that regard. He's probably their best dman but that doesn't say much for the crop.

Sekera is injured and Klefbom is playing like a moron, that's why there defense sucks right now

I noticed you didn't mention the part about the salary cap? That's a large part of why they got rid of those two guys

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
So you want to risk breaking up Matthews and Nylander at the cost of JVR? Which in turn can possibly shut down Nylander's line as well with who ever hes asked to play with cause hes played with no one else.

Too risky
You don't even have to break up the HMN line if you trade JVR. The sole replacement is Leivo taking JVR's 5v5 duties and PP duties, doesn't have to affect any other line.

Reason I want Leivo playing over JVR is that it reduces the volatility of the lines GF-GA differential as some days they can get 3 GA or another day put up 2 GF, but I'd rather that line always get 1 GF and 1 GA because I'll bet on the HMN line and the Kadri line putting up positive GF-GA differentials against any lines they match up against in the league

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Too risky

Its not hard to determine. Put Brown on his line for 5 or 10 games. We already saw this last year and we have a floating Marner who doesn't have a line ATM. Very little risk to experiment lines. We have a 5-1-0 record.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Sekera is injured and Klefbom is playing like a moron, that's why there defense sucks right now

I noticed you didn't mention the part about the salary cap? That's a large part of why they got rid of those two guys

There is always ways to do things. Around the salary cap. They screwed themselves over because they decided to go sign a declining player in Lucic instead of keeping the 2 young guns that will be scoring for awhile.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Too risky

Nylander scored 0.6ppg in his 1st 22 NHL games with Colin greening and Zach hyman for line mates, when he first came up to the leafs playing C

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There is always ways to do things. Around the salary cap. They screwed themselves over because they decided to go sign a declining player in Lucic instead of keeping the 2 young guns that will be scoring for awhile.

I'm not going to debate you on the Lucic contract, that was a truly horrible idea but when two players are going to make 21M you can't have 4 players making 6M, especially when half of them aren't worth the price tag (Eberle RNH) and the goaltender needs to be paid soon

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't know why folks are so anxious to trade important Leafs despite the fact they are upcoming UFAs. Leafs are making a big playoff push this year and you don't trade needed players like JVR and Bozak for futures. But this is LeafLand thought, "Can't let players walk for nothing.". Gee the Pens went with Kunitz, Bonimo and Haisey last year and how did that turn out?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think the Oilers may go into meltdown soon. They were picked to win the cup and there is no way this team beats Chicago or even makes semis. Charelli made some very questionable trades and that Lucic deal may really hurt soon. I don't think Edmonton makes the playoffs and Charelli will be fired if they don't.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not going to debate you on the Lucic contract, that was a truly horrible idea but when two players are going to make 21M you can't have 4 players making 6M, especially when half of them aren't worth the price tag (Eberle RNH) and the goaltender needs to be paid soon

Edmonton already self destructed and they don't even know it. The hilarity is that they are always completely oblivious to all of the counter intuitive crap that they partake in.

Trading Bozak/JVR is not at all similar to what Edmonton has done.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Edmonton already self destructed and they don't even know it. The hilarity is that they are always completely oblivious to all of the counter intuitive crap that they partake in.

Trading Bozak/JVR is not at all similar to what Edmonton has done.

They don't have any depth, it's already become a major issue and McDavid's extension hasn't kicked in yet

We decided to hang onto our pending UFA's so if this team is as good as it looks now trading those guys is a pipe dream imo

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They don't have any depth, it's already become a major issue and McDavid's extension hasn't kicked in yet

We decided to hang onto our pending UFA's so if this team is as good as it looks now trading those guys is a pipe dream imo

I really believe we could move out JVR and Bozak and still compete with little to no ill effect. Lets break down the team.

Jake Rielly Hainsey Z-Vets
Rosen Carrick Borgman (22-23)
Polak (Vet who seems to be in waiting)

Marleau, Kadri, Komarov, Fehr, Moore, Martin (Vets)
Matthews, Nylander, Hyman, Brown (Trustworthy youth most situations)
Marner (Usually trustworthy but having a rough go ATM should be fine)

Kappy, Leivo (The real rookies)

Bozak, JVR (The vets for trade)

Does removing those two components really bother you? We could trade for a defensively responsible player to stick with them if need be. I think we are built to win with or without them tbh.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Don't know why folks are so anxious to trade important Leafs despite the fact they are upcoming UFAs. Leafs are making a big playoff push this year and you don't trade needed players like JVR and Bozak for futures. But this is LeafLand thought, "Can't let players walk for nothing.". Gee the Pens went with Kunitz, Bonimo and Haisey last year and how did that turn out?

Right now we have 10 top 9 forwards and a bunch of young depth. Playing people in the wrong roles because of all our depth doesn’t help

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Right now we have 10 top 9 forwards and a bunch of young depth. Playing people in the wrong roles because of all our depth doesn’t help

Leivo, Kapanen, Soshnikov can play in the Top 9. So that is 13 top 9's. Not sure why everyone keeps echoing Babcock's quote. Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Johnsson arent far away either.

Leafs need to move JVR and move some prospects to shore up the Defense. They have the best forwards in the NHL and can challenge for the Stanley Cup it appears.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leivo, Kapanen, Soshnikov can play in the Top 9. So that is 13 top 9's. Not sure why everyone keeps echoing Babcock's quote. Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Johnsson arent far away either.

Leafs need to move JVR and move some prospects to shore up the Defense. They have the best forwards in the NHL and can challenge for the Stanley Cup it appears.

I believe that to be the case. All in all I doubt trading JVR and Bozak cuts our cup chances by even 6% with the replacements we have in house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad