Proposal: Trade proposal thread - Trades are Needed---Who goes 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If we are commiting to a rebuild, we should trade our best assets which are probably Pacioretty and Gallagher, both who are on great contract. Next year you try trading Shaw, Petry and Price.

call it rebuild or retool, the point should be to drive toward building a team/roster able to contend for several years... from that premise, building a culture of excellence is just as important as acquiring talent. The oilers provided a great example of how fruitless it is to just focus on accumulating a wealth of young talent.

bc of that, imo Gallagher is an asset you don't move. you absolutely want players like him involved in turning things around.

and Price is the kind of goalie that can help greatly accelerate the process, if only by buoying a thin roster and giving it at least the chance of exceeding expectations until enough talent is in place.

I think over the next 18 months, you move:
Pacioretty
Weber
Lekhonen/hudon (one of him, hudon needs to go, can't have all the W's on one side of the ice be of the same diminutive build)
Lindgren
Plekanec
Shaw
Benn
Scherbak
+ Alzner, Hemsky, Froese, Morrow... if you can

getting as much young talent and picks as possible, taking on overpaid/high cap hit vets with 2018 or 2019 expiring contracts.

that leaves you this skeleton roster:

Drouin - XXX - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Galch
Hudon/Lekhonen - XXX - Carr
Deslaurier - JDR - McCarron

Jerabek - Petry
Mete - XXX
Schlemko - Juulsen

Price

use 2018 offseason to sign a few reclamation project vets on 1 year deals to fill roster spots (and, if lucky, that can produce enough with the ice time/role bump to garner decent 2019 deadline trade value, not unlike laffs did two years ago).

2018 & 2019 drafts should thus provide enough organizational talent re-tooling that, with some luck, by summer of 2019 we have enough talent in place (with Drouin, Galch, Danault, Hudon/Lekhonen all in their prime and with luck, Mete, Juulsen, Poehling, & hopefully a few other young players ready to be impact top-4/top-9 players) that we can get back to focusing on playoff success as the goal and start looking at trades/UFA signings to help on-ice performance vs re-stocking long-term talent.

with this year already a write-off, just takes a GM with enough sense to make the most of the current assets, and willing to use a tactical approach to next season, to get the team quickly back on the contending track.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Evaluating the roster I think we lack a 1C and a top-pairing D to compliment Weber. Unfortunately, unless someones pays the world for Galchenyuk or Pacioretty, we are not getting these assets in a trade right now. So what I would do is deal off some of our dead weight/overpaid older players and play the kids the rest of the season.

Trade Plekanec for 3rd round pick
Trade Shaw for 6th round pick
Try to trade Alzner but with that contract we're probably stuck with him

Then, close your eyes and hope Bergevin can pull off something magical over the summer or some of our kids take huge steps (Jake Evans, Poehling, Juulsen, Scherbak, McCarron, Mete, etc) and break out in the NHL.

My lines going forward:

Line 1: XXXXX-Drouin-Gallagher (Bergevin needs to work his magic here... Radulov would look nice)
Line 2: Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Lehkonen (I would give Galchenyuk more chances to prove himself)
Line 3: Hudon-Danault-Byron (I unfortunately do not like Danault very much, may look to replace him during the summer)
Line 4: Deslauriers-DeLaRose-Carr (Froese or McCarron can sub in)

Offense comments: The 4th line is good, the 3rd line is decent but could use an upgrade and more size/grit, the 2nd line is good with hopefully a breakout from Galchenyuk, and the 1st line would look good if we had a Kopitar/Getzlaf/Crosby/Tavares/Stamkos... but unfortunately we dont.

Defense 1: XXXXX-Weber (Unfortunately almost impossivle to find a real #2, not sure if Mete is ready for the role)
Defense 2: Alzner-Petry (hate Alzner though. Juulsen and Mete have to keep improving or else we're screwed)
Defense 3: Schlemko-Benn (Jerabek, Mete, Juulsen and Lernout can be options too)

Defense comments: I think D is our biggest weakness with our top-2 Weber/Petry being old and not performing all that well. Alzner is very average and we have no other top-4 guys. Benn is alright for a bottom pair and Schlemko I think is more of a #7. If guys like Mete, Jerabek and Juulsen don't improve we're screwed going forward. But they do have nice potential. Bergevin getting a real top-2 guy instead of Alzner this summer would have fixed a lot of issues.

Goalies: Price and Lindgren. We're set here.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
To Winnipeg: Max Pacioretty and Tomas Plekanec @ 3M.

To Montreal: Jack Roslovic, Shawn Matthias (cap dump), Brendan Lemieux and conditional first round pick if Jets reach WCF (2nd if they make the PO, 3rd if they miss the PO).

This is the type of deal I'd be looking at if I trade Patches.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
To Winnipeg: Max Pacioretty and Tomas Plekanec @ 3M.

To Montreal: Jack Roslovic, Shawn Matthias (cap dump), Brendan Lemieux and conditional first round pick if Jets reach WCF (2nd if they make the PO, 3rd if they miss the PO).

This is the type of deal I'd be looking at if I trade Patches.
If that’s all Patches gets us, we’re f***ed.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So is Scherbak.

Seriously, does anyone think that’s all we’ll get for Patches? If so, prepare to think Bergevin robbed the GM we trade Patches to.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Roslovic is over a PPG in the AHL as a 20-year-old and is a center who happens to be a righty. It's not an amazing return, but it's not terrible either.

If the basis of the analysis is that he's scoring in the AHL and young, then that's insufficient to project potential.

And Montreal's trading for futures, that return is wholly insufficient for moving Montreal's two best deadline assets. Unless there's better scouting of Roslovic and he can project as a top-line center.

Because it doesn't seem like we should be more excited about him than a Poehling.

Jul 6, 2016
Pacioretty has a crap record in the playoffs which is definitely something that will hurt his value one way or another.

I still beleive that Patches could be as useful and productive as Kessell if, like him, he is traded to a loaded team where he doesn’t have huge responsabilities. For example, put him on a second line in Nashville or TB and he is gonna thrive.

Actually a trade with Pittsburg could be a possibility.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Pacioretty has a crap record in the playoffs which is definitely something that will hurt his value one way or another.

But him being one of the most prolific goal scorers for the past 7 years and a top 5 in the nhl won’t help him? Also, don’t think that Patches on a team that has skill upfront while playing with a real centre won’t hit 40 and do well in the playoffs when the other team can’t just double coverage on him and not have to worry about secondary scoring?

I think Patches is severely under appreciated on this board and it’s not shared by most of the league. He’ll get a whale of a return when he’s traded. It’ll likely be in the off season and before the draft. Expect a top 10 pick plus or there about in value. That’s my expectation.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
To Edmonton
Weber
To Montreal
RNH
like that you finish last ...rebuild.... and start next year with a least 1 good center

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To Edmonton
Weber
To Montreal
RNH
like that you finish last ...rebuild.... and start next year with a least 1 good center

RNH would be worse at center for us than Drouin or Galchenyuk. He's another soft forward that we don't need. Oilers are not trading him IMO and the Habs are not trading Weber unless we get a very serious return.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I still beleive that Patches could be as useful and productive as Kessell if, like him, he is traded to a loaded team where he doesn’t have huge responsabilities. For example, put him on a second line in Nashville or TB and he is gonna thrive.

Actually a trade with Pittsburg could be a possibility.

My problem with the Pens is they don't have a prospect pool I am interested in. 2018 1st plus what? What Center or LD prospect do they have that we want?

I'd trade Pleky to the Pens for a 2nd at the deadline (3rd at worse)

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Have people not watch RNH in the playoffs last year? He was more invisible than Pacioretty...

I wouldnt give up any big pieces to go get him...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Have people not watch RNH in the playoffs last year? He was more invisible than Pacioretty...

I wouldnt give up any big pieces to go get him...

Agreed. This season is a wash for us and then RNH is signed for 3 more years while we have other major holes to fill on D. RNH is good but not worth building around IMO. We are better off taking a step back and adding to our age 18-25 core IMO and allowing them to grow.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pleky to the Pens. Make it happen and try to get a 2nd (3rd at worse)

Patch to a cup contending team looking for offense and has depth at Center or LD.

Come on Bergevin... Give our fan base some reason to cheer for the future.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
To Edmonton
Weber
To Montreal
RNH

Are you trying to tank?? Because last I checked, trading a #1 D for a #2-3 C is a bad trade.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Are you trying to tank?? Because last I checked, trading a #1 D for a #2-3 C is a bad trade.

sounds like a great trade for Marc.

Trading patches is #1 priority with this team. I Do not want him at 8 million or whatever ungodly number he will demand.

If he stays , he will get too much for the "foxhole" discount.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Pacioretty, Plekanec(2M retained) and Alzner(1M retained) for RNH and Puljujarvi.

Rebuild with the following under 25 forward core (except Shaw at 26):

Drouin - RNH - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Puljujarvi
Hudon - Danault - Scherbak/Shaw

Reactions: shutehinside

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
If the basis of the analysis is that he's scoring in the AHL and young, then that's insufficient to project potential.

And Montreal's trading for futures, that return is wholly insufficient for moving Montreal's two best deadline assets. Unless there's better scouting of Roslovic and he can project as a top-line center.

Because it doesn't seem like we should be more excited about him than a Poehling.

I have to agree. PPG in the AHL are nice and encouraging but ultimately they don't mean that much. Remember Corey Locke ? Ben Maxwell ? And i could go on

Not that Roslovic is a bad prospect because he isn't. He's a decent C prospect who certainly could achieve something in the NHL but his max ceiling is quite nebulous. I wouldn't mind getting him in a trade just not as the main piece coming back for Patches. As the main piece i'd ask for at least Kyle Connor as a basis for a deal , not Roslovic. But if Patches end up being traded i hope MB will shop him first and wont pull the trigger on the first decent offer coming his way. I could see many various packages from many teams being proposed to the Habs for Pacioretty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad