Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Leafs are 10-14 team in the NHL..... Don't go all in to move to a 6-8th best team. I'd rather do what Hayes suggests, stand pat this year and re-allocate Cap Space in the summer with (hopefully) better choices.
Yup. I'll never understand this ideology that every year youre in the playoffs you must throw everything plus the kitchen sink at the deadline. It is not sustainable. Leafs have been doing it for years with barely anything to show and have put themselves in a tougher position today because of it.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Jonas vs Hayes on what the Leafs should do at the TDL was just cringe worthy. It's too bad ODog wasn't there to tell him to stfu.

Jonas is awful. Was arguing that Kucherov was maybe a top 5 Hart candidate and he would need to “do research”. Then he got sniped at by Joe Bowen and Jim Ralph later on for being a bonehead.

The guy can best be summed up as an annoying teaching assistant/graduate student.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anyone else tired of the whole "Al's Brother" shtick?

I don't know why they just continually refuse to call him Mike DiStefano, going out of their way to keep this dumb nickname going.

Also, I've figured out what bothers me about the morning show on 590.

I've listened to this show, on and off, pretty much every morning on my drive to work. Usually flip between 590, First Up on 1050, and whatever John Moore's talking about, over on 1010.

Between the two guys on 590 (Ben Ennis and Brent Gunning) I still can't tell which one's which. But one of them doesn't realize he's got a mic in front of him. He talks like he's trying to make sure the back row of a large theater can hear him, projecting his voice when he doesn't have to.

I don't know why he does this, and again I can't figure out which one of them it is, but it's so annoying. :laugh:

Ennis and Gunning come across as two loud talking dads at a brewery and their 3 year olds are running around.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Ennis and Gunning come across as two loud talking dads at a brewery and their 3 year olds are running around.
I don't miss those days....

Anybody else hoping for Steve Dangle to disappear? That guy has done more harm to the Leafs Fandom than Kyle Dubas and JFJ.
His schtick is really tiring. I wonder if he is making any money off his sites/podcasts.

Reactions: pedis

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I don't miss those days....

His schtick is really tiring. I wonder if he is making any money off his sites/podcasts.

Probably making a small profit, but the 'content creation' and streaming bubble has largely popped since the Pandemic became a memory.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Jonas is awful. Was arguing that Kucherov was maybe a top 5 Hart candidate and he would need to “do research”.

I swear, I was going to post the exact same thing yesterday when I saw it.

The problem with Jonas as I see it is that he seems to strive to be as difficult as possible. He's like a pathologically anti-social personality that really has no business working with others on-air or anywhere else.

As I was watching it on TV at the time I did get to see and enjoy Hayes' face as they went to break - Visibly frustrated, he looked like he wanted to choke slam Jonas through the table.

Reactions: TheShape

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Probably making a small profit, but the 'content creation' and streaming bubble has largely popped since the Pandemic became a memory.
I am curious how any of these podcasts can make money without major sponsors. I can't imagine the level of sponsors most of these podcasts have pay much of anything.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I am curious how any of these podcasts can make money without major sponsors. I can't imagine the level of sponsors most of these podcasts have pay much of anything.
SDPN had a pretty awful business model. Most podcasts will have something fans can subscribe to to get more content that is locked behind a paywall. Adam, who think he knows it all, refused to ever do such a thing cause "he didnt want to take from the listeners". They then obviously got a massive sports gambling sponsorship which caused them to push everything into hyperdrive for some reason.

They injected it into every piece of content, they threw up a bunch of random new shows that got very little views, they alienated fans that questioned why they would take a gambling sponsorship while always standing up for social issues. They straight up refused to ever comment on it. Now I think that sponsorship has ended, and they had to axe all the additional shows they made (and lay off all those people).

Now the ironic thing about all this, they basically added in a patreon (youtube vip) that you can subscribe to for $4 a month and get an extra weekly podcast.

From all their gambling money they even got a place to film the podcast and shit. Im really surprised why they decided to try and grow and expand so rapidly rather than doing it more organically. I think they vastly overestimated what they had, and I wouldnt be surprised if theyre back doin regular jobs in 5 years or so.

But ADs and sponsors do pay a decent amount. Obviously get more the more listeners you have.

An influencer with 100k+ instagram followers can probably get 10k+ for doin a single ad for example.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Carlo would be a million times better if he didn't have that stupid laugh

I feel like Aaron keeps him in check for most of the show, although sometimes Carlo still gets carried away and goes on these little tirades.....and also feels obligated to remind people that he's Italian, every chance he gets. :laugh:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
SDPN had a pretty awful business model. Most podcasts will have something fans can subscribe to to get more content that is locked behind a paywall. Adam, who think he knows it all, refused to ever do such a thing cause "he didnt want to take from the listeners". They then obviously got a massive sports gambling sponsorship which caused them to push everything into hyperdrive for some reason.

They injected it into every piece of content, they threw up a bunch of random new shows that got very little views, they alienated fans that questioned why they would take a gambling sponsorship while always standing up for social issues. They straight up refused to ever comment on it. Now I think that sponsorship has ended, and they had to axe all the additional shows they made (and lay off all those people).

Now the ironic thing about all this, they basically added in a patreon (youtube vip) that you can subscribe to for $4 a month and get an extra weekly podcast.

From all their gambling money they even got a place to film the podcast and shit. Im really surprised why they decided to try and grow and expand so rapidly rather than doing it more organically. I think they vastly overestimated what they had, and I wouldnt be surprised if theyre back doin regular jobs in 5 years or so.

But ADs and sponsors do pay a decent amount. Obviously get more the more listeners you have.

An influencer with 100k+ instagram followers can probably get 10k+ for doin a single ad for example.
Yeah a lot of podcasts have a patreon with paywalled content, pretty dumb of them to not follow that model and instead solely rely on sponsorships.

A lot of these podcasters are raking in money from their patreons alone.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015

The sooner Steve Dangle dissapears from.the puic the better. Looking at the stupid faces he makes and listening to his stupid voice on his YouTube videos makes my blood boil and want to do violent things to him.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Made the mistake of listening to 590 for 5 minutes while Kypreos talked.

That guy has such a total boner to trade Knies for whatever player is rolling around in his head.

Last TDL he was raving that if Knies wasn’t trade for Kane, we weren’t an all in team.

God, I can’t imagine what he’s going to be spewing by this years TDL, but it’s already cringe worthy….

Last edited:

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The thing with Dangle though is he is easy to ignore if you don't want to hear him. He mostly does youtube and his own podcasts. These are things you can just not click on. He isn't on game broadcasts and I dont think he is on radio shows all time.

It's pretty easy to just not see him, isnt' it? I almost never see or hear from him and I spend quite a bit of time online on the leafs.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Made the mistake of listing to 590 for 5 minutes while Kypreos.

That guy has such a total boner to trade Knies for whatever player is rolling around in his head.

Last TDL he was raving that if Knies wasn’t trade for Kane, we weren’t an all in team.

God, I can’t imagine what he’s going to be spewing by this years TDL, but it’s already cringe worthy….

Jesus Christ he’s still on about that? What is his deal, did Knies piss in his cornflakes?

Reactions: LeafSteel

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

This is great info, thanks. What kind of money is someone with 1 million subscribers on youtube making? I look at all of these pseudo-fitness guys with reasonably successful youtube channels and I wonder if these guys are getting rich from it.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
everyone and their dog made a podcast or youtube stream during covid. the people thet arent quick on their feet are struggling now that the viewership and ad revenue died down.

there are so many of these extremely amateur sports youtube creators for just the leafs and jays alone. literally from their bedrooms, and often with horrible clickbait titles like "HUGE TRADE UPDATE" basically just regurgitating twitter posts by actual sports journalists.

I honestly tried to give a few of those a chance, but I just can't. they're brutal.

SDP the main podcast is a little above that, and when they arent laughing like kids sometimes there is some good content there. all those post game shows were brutal, no wonder that didnt last.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Made the mistake of listening to 590 for 5 minutes while Kypreos talked.

I respect Kyper because he is a former pro player and Leafs Alum, but his trade takes are some of the worst I have ever heard of. His obsession with trading Knies goes back like three seasons now. Given the history of this team in its trading of young players that go on to play well with other franchises he should know better.

Reactions: LeafSteel

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Jonas subbing in for Noodles tonight. Usually makes for wild TV lol
I know some people (not to mention Hayes and O'Dog lol) can't stand him but don't deny it, Jonas brings up the entertainment value with his contrarian takes. Sometimes they are a wild miss and I wonder if he does it on purpose, but it's still great for the show. Would have him on there permanently if it was up to me.

What really should happen, is Frankie Corrado replace Jamie. I have listened to Overdrive for like 5? years now and I used to like Noodles but he's been rubbing me the wrong way for like the last year and a bit. Especially knowing how good Frankie is, he should be a permanent fixture on some radio show.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Jonas has gotten worse, but Overdrive is much more enjoyable with him replacing Noodles. He gets on Hayes's nerves, but Hayes likes him a lot. Their chemistry is really good. Also Jonas is a lot more knowledgable on other sports than Noodles is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad