Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I think too much air time starts to expose faults in broadcasters. For example unlike Jeff Marek but him having his own show is just too much. He talks about the same things repeatedly and his delivery starts to get annoying.

Same goes for Friedman. His 32 thoughts are the same on his blog, HNIC, the podcast and his hits on Mareks show. Too much of the same thing.

It’s a skill when you have so much air time to not repeat the same info, stories and theories all the time. Hayes does a good job of that on overdrive. He gets the daily routine part of it and makes just enough references for consistency.

Reactions: slozo and Roadhog

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I think too much air time starts to expose faults in broadcasters. For example unlike Jeff Marek but him having his own show is just too much. He talks about the same things repeatedly and his delivery starts to get annoying.

Same goes for Friedman. His 32 thoughts are the same on his blog, HNIC, the podcast and his hits on Mareks show. Too much of the same thing.

It’s a skill when you have so much air time to not repeat the same info, stories and theories all the time. Hayes does a good job of that on overdrive. He gets the daily routine part of it and makes just enough references for consistency.
This is a good post. It takes a certain type of skill to be able to have so much air time and not, eventually, irritate or bore listeners. You need sports knowledge, charisma, self-awareness, timing and humour. Hayes has this skill. Kypreos is getting there. Maybe a few others. I think Al's Brother, 5 or 6 years from now, may develop into this type of guy too.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

I've never liked Jeff Marek mostly because he comes off as extremely arrogant in my opinion. More importantly though, I'll never forget him back in the day on the radio when he had some hockey show on AM 640 and the Chris Benoit tragedy happened. He proceeded to make the whole thing about him by inserting himself into the story for some bizarre reason talking about how he knows Chris Benoit, etc. I can't help but think of that every time I see him or hear him. I mean, a wife and two young kids just got murdered and he's talking about himself. Seems like a bit of a narcissist.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I've never liked Jeff Marek mostly because he comes off as extremely arrogant in my opinion. More importantly though, I'll never forget him back in the day on the radio when he had some hockey show on AM 640 and the Chris Benoit tragedy happened. He proceeded to make the whole thing about him by inserting himself into the story for some bizarre reason talking about how he knows Chris Benoit, etc. I can't help but think of that every time I see him or hear him. I mean, a wife and two young kids just got murdered and he's talking about himself. Seems like a bit of a narcissist.

Hockey Central at Noon died a slow/painful death due to his design. With Daren Millard gone (I'm not sure why he was gone - possibly on his own accord), and then Kypreos/Maclean. The next year Marek brought in new personalities (both ok), but with a very disorganized format. Sometimes he interjected analytics, as well as a lot of non-hockey topics. I couldn't even get through one show.

I don't hate Marek, but he might be up there as one of my "Least Liked" hockey media personalities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Marek can't help himself and always has to interject with some meaningless bullshit because he gets a hard on thinking people give a shit about him personally knowing people in the industry.

The other day on Friedman's podcast, Friedman was talking about how the schedule maker will have a difficult job fitting in all of these postponed games and Marek HAD to cut him off to mention that he knows the guy personally. f*** off.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is a good post. It takes a certain type of skill to be able to have so much air time and not, eventually, irritate or bore listeners. You need sports knowledge, charisma, self-awareness, timing and humour. Hayes has this skill. Kypreos is getting there. Maybe a few others. I think Al's Brother, 5 or 6 years from now, may develop into this type of guy too.
Yeah something about listening to that guy Hayes .. real easy delivery and seems to be having fun .. and he gets it playing junior

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Marek can't help himself and always has to interject with some meaningless bullshit because he gets a hard on thinking people give a shit about him personally knowing people in the industry.

The other day on Friedman's podcast, Friedman was talking about how the schedule maker will have a difficult job fitting in all of these postponed games and Marek HAD to cut him off to mention that he knows the guy personally. f*** off.

Yeah, that sounds like him. Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed this stuff.

Reactions: LeafChief

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Ya my podcast list is dwindling.
Gave up on chiclets as I couldn’t stand their simultaneous defending of Portnoy and trying to be sympathetic to every PC cause.
Marek is about to get the plug.
I couldn’t deal with Cam and Strick.

Reactions: Stigma and TheShape

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Gave up on chiclets as I couldn’t stand their simultaneous defending of Portnoy and trying to be sympathetic to every PC cause.

Chiclets has become insufferable, the podcast is so far removed from what made it great.

I’m done with 32 thoughts. The pair of Marek and Friedman are pretty awkward and need to stop with the forced humour attempts which always seems to fall flat.

They both speak in a way as if what they are saying should be taken as gospel and we need to hang on to every word. Gord Miller is guilty of the same.

Marek’s evil billionaire fake laugh drives me nuts.

Reactions: Garyboy

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Chiclets has become insufferable, the podcast is so far removed from what made it great.

I’m done with 32 thoughts. The pair of Marek and Friedman are pretty awkward and need to stop with the forced humour attempts which always seems to fall flat.

They both speak in a way as if what they are saying should be taken as gospel and we need to hang on to every word. Gord Miller is guilty of the same.

Marek’s evil billionaire fake laugh drives me nuts.
Leafs Lunch might be the best thing outside of Overdrive right now. Al's brother is surprisingly very good at it.

Chris Johnston's podcast is okay. Would be very good if he got a better host. The guy that hosts it is such a weasel.

Reactions: Roadhog and Stigma

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015

Bro vegans have a certain personality trait

Reactions: supermann_98

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Leafs Lunch, and Real Kipper & Bourne are my go to radio shows for Maple Leafs/hockey talk. Really enjoying them both.

Have to agree on this. I watch Overdrive when it is on TV, if not, will watch Tim & Friends for like 5 minutes.

I had to drop Marek from my 'ear-waves', his pompass delivery grows weary. I liked the Hockey Central at Noon show because of the content, not the personalities...

I do listen to Ray and Dregs too, since they get some good guests and provide some decent general NHL info.

My rule is, whenever a hockey (or other I suppose) podcast/show becomes more about the host than it does the content, I am out. I don't care about these dopes... just give me the info I am looking for and eff-off.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Friedman claims to have no ego yet has the biggest ego in Toronto sports media. Marek is fine for me.

What really drives me nuts is the fact that the same show is all over the place with different names. 32 thoughts the podcast, 32 thoughts the intermission segment, 32 thoughts the blog and then the Jeff Marek show is the exact same thing half the time.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Buffoon Hockey Personalities:

Marek
Friedman

Not so happy to hear:

Dreger
Button
Miller

God Awful Hall of fame:

Pierre Mcguire (now VP for the Ottawa Sens lol)

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Friedman has fallen far. He used to be a reasonable personality before becoming the pravda arm of the NHL front office.
Marek was always grating.
I'm in the minority that in the past I've enjoyed listening to several of the sports writers on the radio. These guys would write irritating passive aggressive columns day-in day-out but on the radio they'd be good at talking and sharing anecdotes and such. Yes, that includes Cox, Simmons, Brunt (he's the best of the bunch), old timey ones like Jim Hunt. These guys, hate them or not, have some personality and the ability to fill air space.

Worst one? Jeff Blair easily for me. He's such a Boomer blowhard who shows zero bravery in his opinions always testing the wind direction before taking a position. And so ready to insert politics into what is supposed to be a sports talk show. So awful.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

to me my top 3 right now are

1. Steve Dangle Podcast (They are honestly the best hockey podcast out there right now, it’s funny, they touch on important topics and bring in great guests)

2. Overdrive, they are only second for me right now because they’ve had so many fill ins lately. But they are easily the best radio show on the air. Always listen to them on my way home from work and even when I get into my house.

3. Spittin Chicklets - manly because the interviews are raw and authentic. They have a way of allowing their guests to be completely comfortable and share a lot. And I love hearing about the real stories.

to me these 3 are on top of the game right now

Honourable mention to Leafs Lunch bc I love Al’s Brother and I’m happy that his career has taken off so much

Reactions: Folignos Helmet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad