Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No.

Cox, Feshchuck, Simmons.

The trifecta of bottom of the barrel scum drudging "journalists" in Toronto.

I've been unwillingly hearing from these idiots for 30 years now.
its most likely a good book with cox and stellick, and gord is about as good as youll find.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Did any listen to Jason Bukala on Kyper and Bourne today?

I wasn’t paying close enough attention to the stats he was throwing out but they weren’t good. I’ll have to listen the podcast, but basically the gist of what he said is the Leafs stars don’t perform as well as other stars when the play against good teams.

Reactions: wingman75

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

I wasn’t paying close enough attention to the stats he was throwing out but they weren’t good. I’ll have to listen the podcast, but basically the gist of what he said is the Leafs stars don’t perform as well as other stars when the play against good teams.
Like playoff teams? You don't say lol

Sounds interesting, I will listen to that one in a couple of hours.
Caught some of The Leaf Report and they insinuated a similar thing regarding the underlying numbers.

Reactions: Nineteen67

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Almost every week I read most of Simmons column…. I’m guessing I’m no the only one.

It's pretty obvious with some of the opinions you share.

Were you on board with Simmons when he was trashing the Sundin Leafs and trashing Quinn, mostly due to being too dirty and employing goons like Tucker, Domi, and Belak?

Were you on board when he was trashing the Leafs in the Kessel era for Phil (the cancer in the locker room - a disgusting thing to call a cancer survivor) because they lacked heart and grit, longing for tougher days of Roberts and Tucker?

Were you on board when he was trashing the Leafs for their obvious lack of skill in the years before Matthews was drafted?

Simmons is a reactionary writer who plays to the emotions of the easily manipulated masses.

The reason he has remained employed is that he has enough of a balance between the "perpetually angry at the team", and the "hate-read" crowd.

Reactions: Craig Button

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I'll preface this with:

"I love Overdrive and listen to them on podcast every day"

Not because I agree with them, not because I disagree with them.

Because the dynamic between the 3 is great entertainment.

Yesterday, Hayes and O'Dog got caught with their pants down and I'm loving it as I listen.

4:00 started off with Jeff all up in arms about the response by Mitch to a question.

He wanted the answer phrased a very specific way - share how pissed off the players are about losing, how they feel the games have generally been good, but a few mistakes have led to the losses, not giving up, striving to be better.

For over 2 hours they harped on this.

And then they played the actual clip of the Marner response and it was almost word for word what O'Dog was hoping the response to have been from the start.

"I actually think that wasn't that bad" - Jeff O'Neil

Just like Patrick Roy, I think the Overdrive guys got caught "hot-dogging".

That's just great entertainment...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Were you on board with Simmons when he was trashing the Sundin Leafs and trashing Quinn, mostly due to being too dirty and employing goons like Tucker, Domi, and Belak?

Were you on board when he was trashing the Leafs in the Kessel era for Phil (the cancer in the locker room - a disgusting thing to call a cancer survivor) because they lacked heart and grit, longing for tougher days of Roberts and Tucker?

Were you on board when he was trashing the Leafs for their obvious lack of skill in the years before Matthews was drafted?

Simmons is a reactionary writer who plays to the emotions of the easily manipulated masses.

The reason he has remained employed is that he has enough of a balance between the "perpetually angry at the team", and the "hate-read" crowd.
Yes, I was reading his columns when he bashing and trashing those folks, I also listen to the cronies “The Leaf (sic) Report”, been listening to McCown for years, read Cox‘s columns in The Star, watched Coaches Corner and listen to Grape’s podcast.….FYI, I don’t read and listen for confirmation, I do it for entertainment purposes.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
You read opinion pieces of certied bullshit "journalism" for entertainment?

From journalists who take contradictory stances on the same topic depending on the weather, and who have no moral compass in their work?

Bobcat may be many things, but wishy washy is not one of them. The closest he has ever been to that point is when he talked about the Jays who were owned by his direct employer. And even then he would not hold back his actual opinion on the franchise when it got bad enough.

Simmons invents stories to sell to people willing to listen to him.
Has anyone caught up to the hot dog vendor 10Km from Mastercard centre yet and asked how his business has been since Phil left town?

Kypreos is the same. Still bitter the team tossed him out like yesterday's lunch.

Same goes for Healy who is an otherwise funny guy, but anything Leafs related he can't take the hatred goggles off.

Simmons was part of the possee writing about Mats and opining that a soft Euro could never lead his team to a Cup.

And then last year with the Salming thing, he was so complimentary to the man for being a trailblazer for Euros, and how that enriched the sport, and the Leafs specifically.

So you'll have to excuse anyone who thinks of Simmons as scummy tabloid level pseudo-journalism who writes for mouth breathers.

Toronto has too many people who read his shit and regurgitate it.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'll preface this with:

Yesterday, Hayes and O'Dog got caught with their pants down and I'm loving it as I listen.

4:00 started off with Jeff all up in arms about the response by Mitch to a question.

He wanted the answer phrased a very specific way - share how pissed off the players are about losing, how they feel the games have generally been good, but a few mistakes have led to the losses, not giving up, striving to be better.

And then they played the actual clip of the Marner response and it was almost word for word what O'Dog was hoping the response to have been from the start.

Seems like idiocy to me. O'Neill always comes across as stupid to me and I have little use for stupid people.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I'll preface this with:

They were reacting to the twitter post by the hack known as Luke Fox. If you want to take the time, go find his post about the Marner quote, then listen to Marner's interview. Absolutely gutless reporting. I've muted that loser from my twitter feed.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
They were reacting to the twitter post by the hack known as Luke Fox. If you want to take the time, go find his post about the Marner quote, then listen to Marner's interview. Absolutely gutless reporting. I've muted that loser from my twitter feed.

I don't have Twitter, so for whatever reason, people's profiles no longer show their tweets in chronological order for me and I just don't go on that site at all.

Which is a phenomenal way to make money on advertising, by the way - make your product as shit as possible so people just pretend it doesn't exist.

Regardless, these guys are professional, ar least Hayes is, and they had 2 hours of hot takes based on absolute garbage.

As much fun ad they are, I can't take their word or opinion on matters too seriously if they are going to be spin doctors.

For all the crap Noodles gets, he is the only one of the 3 who wants big picture and context. Because stuff like this does indeed happen from time to time.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I don't have Twitter, so for whatever reason, people's profiles no longer show their tweets in chronological order for me and I just don't go on that site at all.

Which is a phenomenal way to make money on advertising, by the way - make your product as shit as possible so people just pretend it doesn't exist.

Regardless, these guys are professional, ar least Hayes is, and they had 2 hours of hot takes based on absolute garbage.

As much fun ad they are, I can't take their word or opinion on matters too seriously if they are going to be spin doctors.

For all the crap Noodles gets, he is the only one of the 3 who wants big picture and context. Because stuff like this does indeed happen from time to time.
I mean, anyone who takes in that show for anything other than entertainment needs to take a step back from their keyboard. I agree with some of what they say, and disagree with other stances. But I don't take any of it too serious, and I think that is what makes the show enjoyable. They will laugh at themselves, and others... while touching on most of the relevant moments of sport. It's three hours of not having to think about all the bad stuff going on in our world. I zone out on the golf and Jays talk though, I will admit... NBA too lol

Interview and Fox's representation in words:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Simmons has a face that even his own mother wants to kick.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't have Twitter, so for whatever reason, people's profiles no longer show their tweets in chronological order for me and I just don't go on that site .

“ Simmons is a reactionary writer who plays to the emotions of the easily manipulated masses.

Now it all makes sense.

Reactions: LeafalCrusader

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Like playoff teams? You don't say lol

Sounds interesting, I will listen to that one in a couple of hours.
Caught some of The Leaf Report and they insinuated a similar thing regarding the underlying numbers.
Yeah, i love that we need these analysts to tell us what we have been saying for 5 or 6 years. Easiest job in the world if you can get a job in hockey.

Reactions: wingman75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad