Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Does anyone know the name of the song that Overdrive played right at the start of the 6:00 PM hour? I'll post when I see the recording uploaded.

I hear it all the time as like the background song in TV/Youtube/Streaming Ads etc but I can't figure out the name of it and it really bugs me.

Can't hear it much on the recording. Maybe the youtube post will have more

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

My first trade started when then-Detroit Red Wings general manager Jimmy Devellano stopped me at the 1988 NHL awards in Toronto to propose swapping two players who needed a change of scenery. A week later, we sent Miroslav Frycer to Detroit for Darren Veitch.

A few days later, I was reminded of why Devellano suggested Frycer had to go. I ran into him at Maple Leaf Gardens on a warm June day. He was there to meet our trainers and pick up some of his equipment to take south of the border. I walked him into the dressing room, but I hadn’t expected head coach John Brophy to be there. They detested each other. I hoped that Brophy would go back to his small office, but true to form he walked up to within inches of Frycer's face and uttered a “f--- you.” On his way out, Frycer returned the favour with a “f--- you, Broph.” I hoped that my future trades would bring more pleasant introductions.

The one trade that I never felt good about was sending 23-year-old winger Russ Courtnall to Montreal in exchange for forward John Kordic. There were many extenuating circumstances, and once again Brophy was at the centre of them. He liked Courtnall just slightly more than he had detested Frycer, but he valued Kordic’s heavyweight status from when he had worked in the Canadiens organization a few years earlier.

At the end of the day it was still my deal, and it was a terrible one. I have always worn that. Leafs owner Harold Ballard actually didn’t mind it. Trades gave him the rush that everyone seemed to enjoy. I must admit, his companion Yolanda said to me shortly after the trade: “You better know what you are doing.” It was a sentiment shared by thousands of Leafs fans.

I felt that my best work came around the deadline, months after that deal. We made goaltender Ken Wregget available and I had three interested suitors in Bob Clarke with Philadelphia, Gerry Meehan with Buffalo and David Poile with Washington. Every day leading up to the deadline involved multiple calls to all three parties until finally, on the eve of the big day, Clarke separated his Flyers from the pack.

“Well, my scouts will want to kill me,” he said. “But in addition to our own, we also have Calgary’s first-round pick, so I would send you both those picks for Wregget.”

Done deal.

Back then, a trade would quickly become official when both teams sent a telex to the NHL Central Registry providing identical details of the players and picks involved. Today, a trade call is required, which involves many parties and takes more time.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If I had 1 wish, it would be that the TSN NHL broadcast crew including the between periods guys, get transfered wholesale over to SN and become the National crew. There will be some exceptions of course such as Dreger, Noodles and Hayes get bounced and SN retains Bieksa for the between periods stuff.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If I had 1 wish, it would be that the TSN NHL broadcast crew including the between periods guys, get transfered wholesale over to SN and become the National crew. There will be some exceptions of course such as Dreger, Noodles and Hayes get bounced and SN retains Bieksa for the between periods stuff.
SN sucks. In no world would I want that. Easiest solution is Bell needs to outbid Rogers for the national broadcast rights. Or they already co own the team. Figure out a way to make it work where they have a combination of both working together for national broadcast nights and streaming services win the regional rights

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I feel like Aaron keeps him in check for most of the show, although sometimes Carlo still gets carried away and goes on these little tirades.....and also feels obligated to remind people that he's Italian, every chance he gets. :laugh:
Being Italian is a lifestyle and it's good.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
SN sucks. In no world would I want that. Easiest solution is Bell needs to outbid Rogers for the national broadcast rights. Or they already co own the team. Figure out a way to make it work where they have a combination of both working together for national broadcast nights and streaming services win the regional rights
Just looking for ways to get rid of Hayes, noodles, dreger, button, Jonas, colaiacovo, andi(if still around).....

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Being Italian is a lifestyle and it's good.

I mean sure, this is true and I wouldn't dare argue it.

Italian lineage on my mom's side so I've got a bit of it as well, very proud.

I just don't have that same chest-thumping bravado we occasionally hear from Carlo, that's all. :laugh:

If I had one, and know this'll never happen, but it'd be so cool if Sportsnet stopped running those goddamn Questtrade ads.

I swear I saw the same campfire one around fifteen times last night during the Stars game - and I turned it off after the second period. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: therealkoho

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Just looking for ways to get rid of Hayes, noodles, dreger, button, Jonas, colaiacovo, andi(if still around).....

You don’t like Hayes?! Hayes is probably one of, if not the best radio host in the city right now. Not just in terms of sports. He’s got a good radio voice, is professional. The other guys I don’t care for but Hayes is a gem

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You don’t like Hayes?! Hayes is probably one of, if not the best radio host in the city right now. Not just in terms of sports. He’s got a good radio voice, is professional. The other guys I don’t care for but Hayes is a gem
Iunno something about his faux humility and fratboy cool or something

I do get he has those tools he needs to be successful that you mentioned though.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Is there something going on with Overdrive that I'm not aware of? Korolnek and f***chuk have been on several days in a row now and while I don't mind them (they have good discussions) , I tune in to catch Hayes and Odog not these guys. Are they on a golf trip or something? Flu?

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Is there something going on with Overdrive that I'm not aware of? Korolnek and f***chuk have been on several days in a row now and while I don't mind them (they have good discussions) , I tune in to catch Hayes and Odog not these guys. Are they on a golf trip or something? Flu?
My guess is they are on vacation for March break. Hayes and Odog always taken a week off in March but usually not the same week.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Then he will be the first to bitch about said young player becoming a decent NHLer on another team. I genuinely hate the media in this city.
No pleasing Kypreos - droned on about how the Leafs don't stick up for each other, then Gio does and then it was "shouldn't be Giordano doing that"

He also likes to drive up the price on Leafs when they need re-signing. Not as bad as Dreger but still bad. Loved his terrible take after Pontus had a good shift - "teams could offer sheet Holmberg" Oi vey

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
That makes alot of sense didn't occur to me. Thanks for the clarity guys. Just found it odd and I can't get into listening to Kyper and Bourne for more than 5 minutes.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
No pleasing Kypreos - droned on about how the Leafs don't stick up for each other, then Gio does and then it was "shouldn't be Giordano doing that"

He also likes to drive up the price on Leafs when they need re-signing. Not as bad as Dreger but still bad. Loved his terrible take after Pontus had a good shift - "teams could offer sheet Holmberg" Oi vey
For your 1st paragraph both points are right. Leafs need to stand up for each other and it shouldn’t have been a guy like Gio.

On the second point I don’t believe Toronto market drives up players salaries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad