Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I wonder what the numbers say that OverDrive has football talk during the 5-6 central time slot. With Kyper and Bourne on during the winter, why not cover basketball and football in the first two hours and have exclusive hockey talk in the final hour.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
And I suspect that very few, or none, of them are people whose opinions about me matter to me.

Which is exactly how O'Neill will feel about your opinion of him.

Saying that you have little use or stupid people reeks of arrogance.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
You can't? People talk about them and what they write daily.
And it’s never anything good.
That’s why I can’t believe they are still employed.

It’s like an AYCE buffet that serves the worse quality food. All you hear about is how gross the food is and gives everyone diarrhea. Then you ask yourself “Self, How is this place still open?”

Then some guy goes.
“How? people always talk about the food and give reviews. “

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
And it’s never anything good.
That’s why I can’t believe they are still employed.

It’s like an AYCE buffet that serves the worse quality food. All you hear about is how gross the food is and gives everyone diarrhea. Then you ask yourself “Self, How is this place still open?”

Then some guy goes.
“How? people always talk about the food and give reviews. “
Like I said they are employed because they garner attention. Your example of the restaurant doesn’t really make any sense in comparison.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Just watching the Jeff Marek show, and i'm thinking, does he even do any in studio stuff for Sportsnet anymore? It seems like he hasn't come out of the basement since covid ended.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Typical Jamie for coming up with a point on why Bertuzzi's non goal could potentially be the right call.
If the Oilers had a non goal call like that, he would lose his mind.
Good on Hayes for calling out the people who think the league is biased towards the Leafs

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Anyone else tired of the whole "Al's Brother" shtick?

I don't know why they just continually refuse to call him Mike DiStefano, going out of their way to keep this dumb nickname going.

Also, I've figured out what bothers me about the morning show on 590.

I've listened to this show, on and off, pretty much every morning on my drive to work. Usually flip between 590, First Up on 1050, and whatever John Moore's talking about, over on 1010.

Between the two guys on 590 (Ben Ennis and Brent Gunning) I still can't tell which one's which. But one of them doesn't realize he's got a mic in front of him. He talks like he's trying to make sure the back row of a large theater can hear him, projecting his voice when he doesn't have to.

I don't know why he does this, and again I can't figure out which one of them it is, but it's so annoying. :laugh:

Reactions: therealkoho

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Between the two guys on 590 (Ben Ennis and Brent Gunning) I still can't tell which one's which. But one of them doesn't realize he's got a mic in front of him. He talks like he's trying to make sure the back row of a large theater can hear him, projecting his voice when he doesn't have to.

I don't know why he does this, and again I can't figure out which one of them it is, but it's so annoying. :laugh:
I recognize Ennis because he's been on the Fan for quite some time now, probably over 10 years in various forms. The shouty guy is Gunning I think, i think this is his first daily regular show as he was always the fill in host.

I do feel like both of them are much more loud than necessary, especially on morning radio.

Ennis was much more calm and focused when he was doing the show with Brunt.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I recognize Ennis because he's been on the Fan for quite some time now, probably over 10 years in various forms. The shouty guy is Gunning I think, i think this is his first daily regular show as he was always the fill in host.

I do feel like both of them are much more loud than necessary, especially on morning radio.

Ennis was much more calm and focused when he was doing the show with Brunt.

Ah, well that clears it up.

They're both still easier on the ears than JD used to be when he was part of that morning crew though. :laugh:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Cory Woron tweeted that he is done at TSN. Admittedly I don't watch TSN/Sportsnet much anymore, but he was one of the few sportscasters I liked. Didn't make endless jokes while broadcasting, just gave you the news. I appreciate that straight on delivery, like Rod Smith and Jim Van Horne.
Man, that sucks. To your point, he just delivered the goods. No aura of arrogance or excessive tones in his voice.

They did the same thing with Staniszewski 3 years ago with the round of cuts then.

Funny how these massive layoffs occur right after Bell Let's Talk Day.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
With all the money Al's brother must make gambling and broadcasting you would think he could afford a jacket that fits. He looks like George Costanza going to the opera. He needs to invest in a personal trainer or treadmill because he may be young but he is two big macs away from a heart attack. I like the guy but he needs to look after his health.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Anyone else tired of the whole "Al's Brother" shtick?

I don't know why they just continually refuse to call him Mike DiStefano, going out of their way to keep this dumb nickname going.

Also, I've figured out what bothers me about the morning show on 590.

I've listened to this show, on and off, pretty much every morning on my drive to work. Usually flip between 590, First Up on 1050, and whatever John Moore's talking about, over on 1010.

Im shocked they're still trying to meme him into existence.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Pepper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad