Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] T.J. Brodie signs with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes. The Leafs had a number of reasons for falling in points last year. Back up goaltending was one of them for sure. But there were a number of others including poor starting goaltending, poor D, lack of commitment to two way play by the star forwards, poor grit and a lack of quality depth. It's too soon to say whether the off season changes will reverse the trend of declining points in the last few years.
But on the topic of Brodie, I do like the signing. I'm not sold on the depth moves though.

I wouldn't put starting goaltending there even with Freddy having an off year I still see him as a top 10 goalie, I don't think 1 year, especially one that was cut short changes that.

But back on topic Brodie is a fantastic signing and gives the Leafs the best top 4 to start the season I have ever seen them have and I got 20 years.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't put starting goaltending there even with Freddy having an off year I still see him as a top 10 goalie, I don't think 1 year, especially one that was cut short changes that.

But back on topic Brodie is a fantastic signing and gives the Leafs the best top 4 to start the season I have ever seen them have and I got 20 years.
We will have to wait and see. Many said the same about the addition of Barrie last year. I think the biggest improvement in both D and goaltending would come if the star players made a greater commitment to two way play. Hopefully for you guys they’ve finally started to realize that team results are what counts.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So you’re trying to say that they actually need vezina quality backup goaltending to improve?
...That's not even remotely close to anything I said. Extreme swings in backup goaltending, especially from best in the league to worst in the league, will have an impact on point totals.
And are you really just not counting the fact that they signed Tavares in the off-season after you “vezina backup” so essentially backup goaltender > 1C?
A goaltender playing at a vezina-level is more impactful than most things, but no, there were things other than just backup goaltending that changed in the subsequent years (shootout, Andersen play, injuries, etc.), and then were personnel changes other than just +Tavares.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We will have to wait and see. Many said the same about the addition of Barrie last year. I think the biggest improvement in both D and goaltending would come if the star players made a greater commitment to two way play. Hopefully for you guys they’ve finally started to realize that team results are what counts.

Trust me when it comes to the play of Sparks and Hutchinson, especially Hutchinson the team had VERY little to do with it.

Sparks and Hutchinson just sucked, the Leafs could have been the best defensive team in the NHL they'd still need a save and those 2 couldn't do it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Which of the star players would you say are not good enough defensively?

Is it Matthews with the most takeaways of any forward in the league last year? Marner at 6th in the league?

Reactions: nofehr

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
3.15 GAA and a 902 save% isn't average or even below average it's disgraceful that's why they basically kicked him off the team by the playoffs.
That's not the overall performance of the backups; that's just Sparks, and at least that was behind bad defense, unlike this year. The main point was that the backup goaltending got much worse from there this year, to basically worst in the league until Campbell.
But there have now been 3 years of a decrease in points
actual points declined and have now fallen three years in a row.
Not sure where you guys are getting 3 years.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You hate the leafs dude.
Bottom 6 isnt our problem, and even then... Simmonds/Spezza / Thornton can be complimentary guys there, if they have to. (But I think they all have okay bottom 6 potential with this team... there job is to be good leaders and make the youth stand taller)

The problem was our D... and clearly it worries leaf haters because we obviously upgraded there- a guy for Rielly , size for bottom pair , a wild card in Lehtonen.
Stop dude if u cant look at your team objectively thats on you...Your bottom 6 is week ,signing Thorton and Spezza was about as useless as it gets...

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The Marlies need goaltending too and also he can now be exposed to Seattle.

I'm not happy about it but at least he's #4

yep. We absolutely have to expose someone. Now it’s taken care of. We can keep Campbell if Freddie walks......

If we trade for another G... we can just keep him in the minors. 725k is nothing for the leafs. I can see why it’s tough for a panthers fan to understand.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
All the opponent fans obsessed with the Leafs, in one thread. It's glorious. Funny thing... this was originally about Brodie, which was a great signing. Maybe someone should get this back on track, and stop feeding the trolls.
What trolls???Brodie isnt what anyone is talking about he is a good player for them to have went after...Look at that bottom 6 group its old and slow and wont do much of anything

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Stop dude if u cant look at your team objectively thats on you...Your bottom 6 is week ,signing Thorton and Spezza was about as useless as it gets...
Ottawa fan right?
I cant think of a good enough joke for the bolded...I'm ashamed

Lemme guess, they were too young and inexperienced to do anything a few years ago? Too small and weak last year....

You're running out of runway Sens fan.

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
...That's not even remotely close to anything I said.
False, seems to be almost exactly what you said.
Extreme swings in backup goaltending, especially from best in the league to worst in the league, will have an impact on point totals.
Obviously, but such an impact on points that no other moves the team made are able to compensate?
A goaltender playing at a vezina-level is more impactful than most things
Yes a starting goalie playing at that level. That’s not what’s being discussed here
but no, there were things other than just backup goaltending that changed in the subsequent years.
I wasn’t talking about subsequent years, I was talking about one specific year in which you claim you had vezina quality back up goaltending, and how signing Tavares, as well as Matthews and Marner taking big steps in their development was not able to compensate for a back up goalie?

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Ottawa fan right?
I cant think of a good enough joke for the bolded...I'm ashamed

Lemme guess, they were too young and inexperienced to do anything a few years ago? Too small and weak last year....

Too bad. Jokes about grammar and spelling are the wittiest ever...

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Ottawa fan right?

Kk

I don't know about hot takes on Leafs not being good or even being a contender, which I genuinely think they may be (need to see how the new players adapt).

What I do know, is when I look at the 2017 roster that entered the playoffs against the Caps, on paper, it looks more menacing than what you're icing this year. Particularly if one or both of Robertson and Engvall need to play in the AHL to accommodate your cap issues. That 2017 roster was balanced..... this one, should you 'need' to give lines 3-4 a combined 24-25 minutes a game in a condensed season to take it easy (er) on the young stars, does not scream "balance" to me. You certainly are looking at seeing old legs hustle up the ice on the regular, and fast teams will exploit that.

Brodie is a nice pick-up. However by Calgary fans' own admission he is most effective as a rover, not a stay at home D (which Reilly needs on his pairing, to do his thing on offense). Why would you pair a rover with another rover? What gives? You planning to run Holl on the 1st pairing or something? Maybe you think Reilly is Hedman 2.0 and can absolutely carry 2020 Zach Bogosian like he did in the playoffs? It just doesn't make sense.

Let's see how Reilly-Brodie really turns out, where one needs to clear the net night in, night out with many 3 games/4 nights on the schedule. And I'm not even talking about Freddie not actually knowing whether he's in TO to stay due to his contract, the flat cap world PLUS Hyman being a TO boy with a rich dad. Hum.

Respectfully,
A Habs fan who can't wait for them to drop the puck.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What are you talking about and who is crapping on who? The initial post I commented on was rubi calling Andersson a #2 d which is a complete joke in my opinion. If you want to talk about the flames, this is not the thread. We can happily take the convo to the Oilers OOT board if you want to continue.
Well you are the one that started the derailing of this thread by crapping on a Flames player.
All I said was that Brodie going to Toronto was the best thing for Andersson as it will give him a chance to play on the first d-line with Gio and learn from him and prove he has the talent to stay there.
... then you the opportunity to crap on a Flames player by saying that no way was Andersson a #2 d-man.... and the derail began.

And nobody wants to go to your OOT to discuss this and put up with the shit and abuse that will come about by posting there... as frequently happens when other fans do post there.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
False, seems to be almost exactly what you said.
No, it wasn't remotely close. I laid it out very clearly; there is no need for your false and misleading paraphrasing.
Obviously, but such an impact on points that no other moves the team made are able to compensate?
As already mentioned, it wasn't the only thing impacting points in a negative way relative to 2017-2018, and actually the moves did compensate, and 2018-2019 was their best year at hockey, but unlike 2017-2018, they didn't win a shootout gimmick.
Yes a starting goalie playing at that level.
No, goaltending in general has a big impact on games. It's more impactful when it's a starter playing at that level because it's a bigger sample of games.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
lol what a garbage comment

he "found" nick robertson with a late rd 2 pick and he will already be an NHLer (and top 30 prospect as voted on these boards)

he found spezza,thornton,simmonds,vesey, barabanov etc for the bottom 6 for a combined cap hit of 4.725 million.

maybe lets see how it plays out? because the the 10 mil 3rd line (Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kap) kinda dint work last year
Who is the "etc" ?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I would have been very happy to have Brodie re-sign with the Flames... but for reasons that we can speculate about.. he didn't.
He has his flaws but most players do. I wish him well in Toronto. Signing Brodie has definitely improved Toronto's defense. Toronto will be a stronger team this upcoming season.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
No, it wasn't remotely close. I laid it out very clearly; there is no need for your false and misleading paraphrasing.
You haven’t laid a single thing out. You’ve danced around my substantiated facts over and over like always. I see you’re back to the victim complex again as well.
As already mentioned, it wasn't the only thing impacting points in a negative way relative to 2017-2018, and actually the moves did compensate, and 2018-2019 was their best year at hockeys
False

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't know about hot takes on Leafs not being good or even being a contender, which I genuinely think they may be (need to see how the new players adapt).

What I do know, is when I look at the 2017 roster that entered the playoffs against the Caps, on paper, it looks more menacing than what you're icing this year. Particularly if one or both of Robertson and Engvall need to play in the AHL to accommodate your cap issues. That 2017 roster was balanced..... this one, should you 'need' to give lines 3-4 a combined 24-25 minutes a game in a condensed season to take it easy (er) on the young stars, does not scream "balance" to me. You certainly are looking at seeing old legs hustle up the ice on the regular, and fast teams will exploit that.

Brodie is a nice pick-up. However by Calgary fans' own admission he is most effective as a rover, not a stay at home D (which Reilly needs on his pairing, to do his thing on offense). Why would you pair a rover with another rover? What gives? You planning to run Holl on the 1st pairing or something? Maybe you think Reilly is Hedman 2.0 and can absolutely carry 2020 Zach Bogosian like he did in the playoffs? It just doesn't make sense.

Let's see how Reilly-Brodie really turns out, where one needs to clear the net night in, night out with many 3 games/4 nights on the schedule. And I'm not even talking about Freddie not actually knowing whether he's in TO to stay due to his contract, the flat cap world PLUS Hyman being a TO boy with a rich dad. Hum.

Respectfully,
A Habs fan who can't wait for them to drop the puck.

Washington scored a ton of goals against that 4th line including a couple OT GWGs. It might have "looked" balanced to you but it certainly didn't perform. The Martin-Kapanen-Boyle line in those playoffs was leading the team with about 4GA/60. Them and the Kadri-Komarov line were getting out-shot about 60-40. Whatever we end up with as a bottom-6 by the playoffs just has to draw even, or at least get outscored less badly, to be a noticeable improvement.

As for Rielly, he runs into issues when his partner can't move the puck under pressure. So far in the playoffs, the gameplan has been to dump every puck on Marincin/Ceci/Hainsey/Hunwick/Polak and throw forecheckers at them. They all panic and give away the puck. If the RD can move the puck, you can't force Rielly to play defense every shift like you could with Hainsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad