Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] T.J. Brodie signs with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Baseball also sees fit to play 164 games a year do you think that would work for hockey too?

1.) theoretically. It “can”. Is it smart. Probably not. Teams don’t have the ratings. You absolutely could. Multiple players rosters. It’s possible... sure.

But....

2.) more importantly. The reason why they don’t use a home run derby is because baseball has the money/clout not to have to do so. This proves my point. Just like the playoffs. Real games for the cup and baseball games will never be solved by a gimmick.

They are real points. They do matter. But it’s pretty hard to use them to compare year to year due to variance

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
actually the leafs were on a 107 pt pace this year with anyone other than. Michael Hutchison in next. That includes kaski, Campbell and Andersen playing like he was drunk.

This includes major injuries to.
-marner
-Hyman
-dermott
-AJ (who apparently is super important now)
-Tavares
-muzzin
I make it 105 points, but who cares.

More importantly, who decided to go with Hutchison as a back-up ?

The dressing room cleaner ?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I make it 105 points, but who cares.

More importantly, who decided to go with Hutchison as a back-up ?

The dressing room cleaner ?

well we didn’t think to sign the zamboni driver.
It was a mistake. Sure. They bet on neuvirth..... who took his ball and went home. They absolutely should have got a sure bet. Mirtle was saying jarry forever.

I don’t think anyone thought he would be THAT bad. It was horrific. I think 5 straight 2 goal leads blown in the third?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
1.) theoretically. It “can”. Is it smart. Probably not. Teams don’t have the ratings. You absolutely could. Multiple players rosters. It’s possible... sure.

But....

2.) more importantly. The reason why they don’t use a home run derby is because baseball has the money/clout not to have to do so. This proves my point. Just like the playoffs. Real games for the cup and baseball games will never be solved by a gimmick.

They are real points. They do matter. But it’s pretty hard to use them to compare year to year due to variance
So they could play 164 games if they completely revamped roster sizes and the the whole schedule, but that somehow proves your point about that they could play overtime games like the playoffs in the regular season?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So they could play 164 games if they completely revamped roster sizes and the the whole schedule, but that somehow proves your point about that they could play overtime games like the playoffs in the regular season?

They could. Yes. They could. If there was demand. They would. But there isn’t. The issue is the term Can’t. They “can”. It just doesn’t make much sense because of the budget teams

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
not in the cup.... wasn’t that what you were talking about ? The whole 16 game thing 2 posts ago?

No, that's not what we are talking about.

Someone said that shootouts aren't used in the playoffs because they are "arbitrary" and I asked how winning a shootout is more arbitrary than winning an overtime game.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
They could. Yes. They could. If there was demand. They would. But there isn’t. The issue is the term Can’t. They “can”. It just doesn’t make much sense because of the budget teams
It doesn’t make much sense for many reasons, player safety, players having lives other than hockey, the same as playing a 7 OT game on a Wednesday with another game on Thursday.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The shootout has most of if not all of the things that make hockey what it is; it’s just with less players on each side.
That is not true. There are very few similarities between regular hockey and shootouts, and countless things that make good hockey players/teams don't even factor in. Heck, an entire position doesn't even factor in.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No, that's not what we are talking about.

Someone said that shootouts aren't used in the playoffs because they are "arbitrary" and I asked how winning a shootout is more arbitrary than winning an overtime game.

Well it is. You have to know that right? You think a 5 on 5 game is equally arbitrary as a shootout....

Why didn’t they just use shootouts then ? We just watched a compressed schedule. 3 games in a day.

Why didn’t they use them in the bubble? Better yet. Why wouldn’t they just have each team do a shootout.... the bubble could have been done in a week

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
And could have got to 105 pts. However unlikely it seems (we did in 2006).

you can’t argue that raw points determine everything. Then use points percentage. It’s silly
Did you forget a couple of "ifs" when you posted the bolded ?

They were on pace for a bit less than 95 pts after 70 games, and if they had kept the same pace for the unplayed 12 games that they had in the last 18 games (8-8-2), they would have reached the fantastic total of 93 pts.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Did you forget a couple of "ifs" when you posted the bolded ?

They were on pace for a bit less than 95 pts after 70 games, and if they had kept the same pace for the unplayed 12 games that they had in the last 18 games (8-8-2), they would have reached the fantastic total of 93 pts.

agreed. I don’t think they would have got to 105. What I was saying was the poster was only considering raw points when it suited the case. And projections didn’t matter. But had no problem with projections when it suited

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
That is not true. There are very few similarities between regular hockey and shootouts, and countless things that make good hockey players/teams don't even factor in. Heck, an entire position doesn't even factor in.
Very often in 3v3 an entire position doesn’t exist either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille