Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
IMG_1320.jpeg

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Ewe, brushless for me.
Brushless/touchless/laser washes are pretty terrible, they barely clean your car and some use very abrasive chemicals that can damage your paint. The only thing going for them is that they can’t scratch your paint.

If you do not have the capacity to hand wash at home, I recommend the following.

• ⁠Go to a DIY wash with a pressure washer.
• ⁠Bring one of the below:

1. ⁠A Microfibre mitt - this is easier, but you should pay attention to when it is getting dirty and swap it or clean when it gets dirty.

2. ⁠A handful of microfibre cloths - this is harder but means you're always working with something clean.

• ⁠Use the pre-wash function, spray it everywhere.

• ⁠Use the soap option - wave the brush around to get soap on every panel but only allow the brush to touch your glass or wheels - they can generally take the abuse. Your paint absolutely cannot. If you're using cloths, switch when the cloth your using is covered in dirt.

• ⁠Once soap is on the vehicle, wipe each panel with your mitt/towels. Wipe logically (Up-down, Left-right). Use the brush to supply you with more soap.

• Use the rinse function to remove all soap.

• ⁠Pull your car up somewhere to prevent a queue, and dry off the car with a couple of large microfiber towels. This is important so that you don’t leave water spots.

• ⁠Apply a good protection product - the cheap-ish modern stuff with ceramics is surprisingly effective. Do this every few months and cleaning will be easier.

I am deranged and do this once a week.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Brushless/touchless/laser washes are pretty terrible, they barely clean your car and some use very abrasive chemicals that can damage your paint. The only thing going for them is that they can’t scratch your paint.

If you do not have the capacity to hand wash at home, I recommend the following.

1. ⁠A Microfibre mitt - this is easier, but you should pay attention to when it is getting dirty and swap it or clean when it gets dirty.

2. ⁠A handful of microfibre cloths - this is harder but means you're always working with something clean.

• ⁠Use the soap option - wave the brush around to get soap on every panel but only allow the brush to touch your glass or wheels - they can generally take the abuse. Your paint absolutely cannot. If you're using cloths, switch when the cloth your using is covered in dirt.

• ⁠Once soap is on the vehicle, wipe each panel with your mitt/towels. Wipe logically (Up-down, Left-right). Use the brush to supply you with more soap.

• ⁠Pull your car up somewhere to prevent a queue, and dry off the car with a couple of large microfiber towels. This is important so that you don’t leave water spots.

• ⁠Apply a good protection product - the cheap-ish modern stuff with ceramics is surprisingly effective. Do this every few months and cleaning will be easier.

So how much do you rage if/when you see a swirl mark on your car from a previous wash?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
So how much do you rage if/when you see a swirl mark on your car from a previous wash?
I love black cars but I’ll never own one again because of swirls and how often you have to do maintenance washes. A two bucket wash and decent microfibers are mandatory.

Watching someone wash a car with a brush is about like listening to someone drag their nails across a chalkboard to me.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

I love black cars but I’ll never own one again because of swirls and how often you have to do maintenance washes. A two bucket wash and decent microfibers are mandatory.

Watching someone wash a car with a brush is about like listening to someone drag their nails across a chalkboard to me.
Yeah the secret is to never own a black car. It always seemed counterintuitive to me, but white cars are the easiest to keep.

The new trend is actually a one bucket wash, basically you throw a bunch of microfiber towels in one bucket, and never reuse any during the wash.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The new trend is actually a one bucket wash, basically you throw a bunch of microfiber towels in one bucket, and never reuse any during the wash.

How does that work better? Even if you do that, at some point the towel you are working with will have dirt/grit particles that you are now dragging across the paint before it is swapped out.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

I don't even have time to do all my housework/yardwork living on my own and now I have to spend 2+ hours washing my car too? :help:

That said I do have a pressure washer so I can at least rinse-clean it regularly if I don't have time to scrub it

Reactions: Stickpucker

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I don't even have time to do all my housework/yardwork living on my own and now I have to spend 2+ hours washing my car too? :help:

That said I do have a pressure washer so I can at least rinse-clean it regularly if I don't have time to scrub it
If you do a really good wash and use a slick wax you could probably get away with just foaming it and spraying it off every few days

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I’m single and don’t have any kids.
I guess if I didn't have the dog or girlfriend I'd probably have the time, still a lot to do living on your own. Both are worth the loss of "free time"...but it does make getting things done very tricky while also not burning yourself out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad