Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] T.J. Brodie signs with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is exactly what I’m talking about. You say 2017-18 was an anomaly, and that’s the reason why you had a decrease in points for 2018-19, but they also had a worse points pace this year, so the vezina backup excuse doesn’t work anymore. And I explained about the injuries already, that’s no excuse. Every team has injuries. The leafs have a lot of talent, no one is saying they don’t. But you’re trying to paint this picture that they’re improving every year but in reality, in the categories that count they haven’t been.

actually the leafs were on a 107 pt pace this year with anyone other than. Michael Hutchison in next. That includes kaski, Campbell and Andersen playing like he was drunk.

This includes major injuries to.
-marner
-Hyman
-dermott
-AJ (who apparently is super important now)
-Tavares
-muzzin

Reactions: LeafsNation75

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This is exactly what I’m talking about. You say 2017-18 was an anomaly, and that’s the reason why you had a decrease in points for 2018-19, but they also had a worse points pace this year, so the vezina backup excuse doesn’t work anymore. And I explained about the injuries already, that’s no excuse. Every team has injuries. The leafs have a lot of talent, no one is saying they don’t. But you’re trying to paint this picture that they’re improving every year but in reality, in the categories that count they haven’t been.

Progress isn't always linear, that's pretty basic. There's ups and downs, overall the team constructed going into next season is significantly better on D, and much more balanced all around. But i'm pretty sure you already know that. Genuine question, which team are you actually a fan of ? I only see you bickering in every leafs related thread

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I honestly would love for someone to go back to the JT signing threads and the Barrie trade threads to pull out some of the magic that was in there.
Don't need to go that far back. Apparently a trade this year has made them favorites if you're to believe the poster I had originally quoted.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He's only had 2 complete seasons in the NHL. No one knows what Andersson is. I would state that it is premature to state he's definite top 2 d-man though. Last year he looked at home in the top 4 and pretty solid in the stints on the top pairing.

Tanev was brought in because Valimaki and Andersson both need more time.
We have to agree to disagree. Andersson has four solid pro seasons under his belt and I'm sure a lot of us know what Andersson is. Andersson was arguably the Flames best d-man in the playoffs and that's reflected by the team leading defensive ice time that Ward gave him.
Tanev was brought in as an upgrade to Hamonic on the 2nd line. Geoff Ward will slot Andersson in as Gio's partner on the 1st line.... not Tanev. Ergo.. Andersson will be the Flames #2 d-man.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I agree with all of that. Not some delusional slotting as the #2 defender stuff..

And yet that's most likely where the Flames coach Geoff Ward will have Andersson play... not Tanev, not some UFA RD.
Unless you consider both Treliving and Ward to be delusional too?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Everything is a gamble. Just because Brodie played well with Giordano doesn't mean he will play well with Rielly. Brodie has had some horrendous games playing without Giordano. He's prone to making some real boners in his own end. Gio provided that stabilizing factor to mitigate and reduce those bad mistakes. Will Rielly be able to do the same? Who knows. Rielly certainly doesn't have the defensive ability in his own end that Gio has. Plus Gio and Brodie knew each other like the back of their hands so there's that. That won't be the case with Rielly and Brodie. I hope Brodie will do well in Toronto but it certainly isn't a slam dunk.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was wondering who was derailing a Flames thread talking about Rasmus Andersson, because I only see Rubi, then I remembered.

Reactions: Mazatt and Korg

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
And yet that's most likely where the Flames coach Geoff Ward will have Andersson play... not Tanev, not some UFA RD.
Unless you consider both Treliving and Ward to be delusional too?
Most likely? You’re talking like you have inside info. Tanev while a downgrade to brodie (on the flames for already specified reasons), is better than Andersson right now. He would be the only player that makes sense to play top pairing minutes reliably than Andersson. This is about brodie though, you want to talk about the flames you can come to the Oilers board in the OOT thread.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I hate the Leafs but I'm not sure why people don't like this signing. Seems like a pretty good one to me. Checks boxes, doesn't it?

It absolutely checks boxes and out of the realistic options out there, this was the best fit for the Maple Leafs.

Going into free agency, I thought they should be targeting T.J. Brodie, Chris Tanev and Joel Edmunson, and in that order. Edmunson didn't end up reaching free agency and they got not only got Brodie, but at a reasonable term.

I don't see and credible criticism of this signing.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
oh look, dache and deekes for days at it again. Didn't see that one coming.

Pockets16

Jan 30, 2007
honestly he is pretty close to Reilly in talent IMO.

The haters are the same people who complained after the Flames had 107 points last year and easily won the west. I’m sure your fanbase have your fair share of glass 4/5ths empty types too.

he does make mistakes but the amount of low key smart plays Brodie makes is insane. I find fans tend to see the really good and really bad, so players who are consistently solid like Backlund and Brodie, don’t get as appreciated for how good they really are.

Yeah the Flames winning the west had nothing to do with all their players having career years, and most fans complained when their star players didn't show up in the playoffs again.

Not everybody can have their rose colored glasses on 24/7.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It absolutely checks boxes and out of the realistic options out there, this was the best fit for the Maple Leafs.

Going into free agency, I thought they should be targeting T.J. Brodie, Chris Tanev and Joel Edmunson, and in that order. Edmunson didn't end up reaching free agency and they got not only got Brodie, but at a reasonable term.

I don't see and credible criticism of this signing.

Did they get tougher to play against though?
I think that has been the Achilles heel for the Leafs the last few years.
Nobody doubts their skill but the last 2-3 years, they've been in the bottom 3 for team hits.
Regular season is one game, playoffs are a whole different game.
CBJ shut them out 2 of the 5 games they played and killed their main strength with offense, once that happens it seems TOR doesn't have the grit/physical play to match up with most teams.

Reactions: topshelf15

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

They didn't, and, in fact, they might have got easier to play against, but that doesn't change the fact that their defense was in dire need of an upgrade and adding Brodie - and simply not having Ceci and Barrie - is a clear upgrade to their biggest weakness.

I have said for years now that they are way too easy to play against and under Dubas the team has gotten a lot softer, but I think that problem wasn't as big as the issue on the blueline and it seems, for whatever reason, that Dubas is quite intent on icing a soft roster, for better or for worse.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think that has been the Achilles heel for the Leafs the last few years.
Nobody doubts their skill but the last 2-3 years, they've been in the bottom 3 for team hits.
Regular season is one game, playoffs are a whole different game.
CBJ shut them out 2 of the 5 games they played and killed their main strength with offense, once that happens it seems TOR doesn't have the grit/physical play to match up with most teams.
Yes they’ll definitely be tougher to play against. Long overdue.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
actually the leafs were on a 107 pt pace this year with anyone other than. Michael Hutchison in next. That includes kaski, Campbell and Andersen playing like he was drunk.

-marner
-Hyman
-dermott
-Tavares
-muzzin
You don’t get to pick and choose which games you’re using to calculate points pace or percentage. Especially if the poster that I was talking to was discussing how the only reason it looks like they’re not improving is “vezina quality” backup goaltending. The leafs were on pace for 95 points this year over 82 games. That’s no where near 107

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Progress isn't always linear, that's pretty basic. There's ups and downs, overall the team constructed going into next season is significantly better on D, and much more balanced all around. But i'm pretty sure you already know that. Genuine question, which team are you actually a fan of ? I only see you bickering in every leafs related thread
I never said progress was linear. But there have now been 3 years of a decrease in points for the leafs which I’ve been told how their actually improving. That’s silly. I’ve said multiple times what team I’m a fan of, if you venture outside of leaf threads you’ll see it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You don’t get to pick and choose which games you’re using to calculate points pace or percentage. Especially if the poster that I was talking to was discussing how the only reason it looks like they’re not improving is “vezina quality” backup goaltending. The leafs were on pace for 95 points this year over 82 games. That’s no where near 107

1.) you are discussing the allegation backup goaltending is the main difference. You compare the results without backup goaltending. It’s pretty simple

2.) if we take out the back up goaltending. This years leaf team is actually slightly better

3.) this is despite the massive injury disadvantage

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

-marner
-Hyman
-dermott
-Tavares
-muzzin

Every single playoff bubble team can come up with a list of excuses as to why they didn't do better.
The bottom line is that every team deals with injuries to key players and has holes in its lineups. The top teams simply play through those issues instead of making lame excuses.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
They didn't, and, in fact, they might have got easier to play against, but that doesn't change the fact that their defense was in dire need of an upgrade and adding Brodie - and simply not having Ceci and Barrie - is a clear upgrade to their biggest weakness.

I have said for years now that they are way too easy to play against and under Dubas the team has gotten a lot softer, but I think that problem wasn't as big as the issue on the blueline and it seems, for whatever reason, that Dubas is quite intent on icing a soft roster, for better or for worse.

I like the Brodie signing for them, he's pretty solid defensively, he isn't physical but hopefully that makes him more durable, which looking at his past 4 years, is true. He can chew up important 5 on 5 minutes which should allow for Rielly and Muzzin to have more gas in the tank during the final stretch.

I agree with the Dubas comment, surprised something hasn't clicked for him in the toughness category. He brought in Simmonds but that just replaces what Clifford did in physicality. Outside him and Muzzin, I don't get scared looking at the team toughness, the skill is a different animal.

Yes they’ll definitely be tougher to play against. Long overdue.

How so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad