Speculation: Too many "ifs" next season should make Toronto struggle make the playoffs

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
the only person we will miss is jvr, and we have money this summer to help fix it, and tons of young wings ready or coming up

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Leafs will miss the playoffs again next year and for years to come.

The only hope to save this franchise is Tavares. Matthews will fail.
This is true. All Matthews is is 2 for 2 in getting them to the playoffs. Tavares barely ever makes the playoffs.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
these same negative ppl would be downtown Toronto celebrating if we won the title. its easier to play both sides of the fence (positive/negative) than just pick one

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Only crap teams don't make the playoffs. If they don't make the playoffs , part of the core will be torn down

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
This whole thread logic is flawed.

It's early June and just cause a bunch of vets are leaving doesn't mean we won't bring in other vets. We have lots of cap space to play with this off-season and even just bringing in a decent UFA like we did with Hainsey would have a huge impact.

Besides Komarov, Plekanec, Moore and Polak are bottom of the lineup pieces. If they don't come back who's to say we don't replace them with other vets. It's debateable whether Komarov, Moore and Polak should have even been in the lineup. Plekanec was very underwhelming outside of a few playoff games.

As other have pointed JVR is the only real loss. However, we've got a lot of winger depth and wingers are the easiest position to trade for.

Bozak is a bit of a loss but at the same time his sheltered minutes will now be distributed to a guy like Matthews or Nylander if he's converted to a C. Bozak was a horrible fit for a 3rd line center because of his defensive issues.

As for the youth, I also think both Grundstrom and Liljegren are ready to come up later in the season and make an impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Right. Had the defense and work ethic been even average, we would have finished 1st overall and cruised to the Stanley Cup like you expected.
I would definitely not expect to finish 1st overall and cruise to the Stanley cup whatsoever. I have little faith in this team as it is already. If the leafs had a decent defense and decent work ethic, in addition to then they'd deserve to be 7th place, not 6th place in the NHL and they wouldn't have been overrated like leafs fans portray them to be.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would definitely not expect to finish 1st overall and cruise to the Stanley cup whatsoever. I have little faith in this team as it is already. If the leafs had a decent defense and decent work ethic, in addition to then they'd deserve to be 7th place, not 6th place in the NHL and they wouldn't have been overrated like leafs fans portray them to be.

So what did you expect?

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I think we make the playoffs easily.
105 points with noone playing out of their mind. We don't rely on 1 player. We're deep and will likely improve next season.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Komarov, Moore and Polak are all 4th line players/6th D that can be replaced easily.

Bozak and JVR are the only ones that are difficult to replace but they are literally dead weight other than the power play.

Leafs have their entire top 6 returning and their entire D core (Polak can easily be signed if they desire).

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00